ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2024 NY Mets Season Thread

All very hopeful. Most of the league doesn’t hit like the Nats.

By the way, when did Diaz find himself?
Hey I'm an optimistic fan what can I tell you. It's a prediction not a guarantee.

Since that blowup 2 months ago against Miami he's been good.

Seven games coming up against the Rockies and the Marlins, the worst two teams in the NL. Gotta take advantage of the opportunity to pick up wins.

All very hopeful. Most of the league doesn’t hit like the Nats.

By the way, when did Diaz find himself?
Diaz found himself in a sticky situation 2 weeks ago.

Sad Koala GIF

Useless factoid that maybe only @Doctor Worm might find interesting.

Mets, Padres and Boston are all in 3rd place in the wild card today. All have losing records at home, while the teams above them in the standings have winning records at home.

Reactions: BigEastPhil
You can't put it on the manager if the guys they bring in with a comfortable lead come in and start walking and hitting batters. Do your job. Nunez had to come in and bail Young out today rather than being able to chill. And then Ottavino came in and got himself into a bit of a pickle before ultimately getting it done. If he had given up a hit or two once the bases were loaded they would have had to rush Diaz into the game. Outside of occasionally questioning when to pull or not to pull some pitchers I have no problem with the job Mendoza is doing right now.
Mendoza is like a robot, some of which is due to his lack of experience. Regardless of the situation, he'll pull the starters, in most cases, after 5. Then, he recycles the same suspect pitchers who are having more questionable outings than good ones. No lead is comfortable, and that shouldn't be the case every time the BP pitches with 4, 5, or 6-run leads. You have to get more length out of the starters to reduce the chances one of the bums from the pen cost the Mets important games in a tight wildcard race. The front office is as much to blame as the manager. The front office did a piss poor job of getting at least one or two quality arms for the pen.

Is this media-driven or what? Why would a team in the thick of the wildcard race trade away an important part of it? Something tells me, from my wife's media experience, that articles like this were written a few weeks ago but couldn't drop due to timing. The Mets were showing signs of life and getting back into the race. The fear from articles like this is that no other meaningful articles related to the change in the Mets' performance are ready to go, so they drop this article before it expires.

Right now, Mets are playing well and have become an exciting team. Unless they drop something like 5 of 7 against these two teams- they will be buyers.
And it won’t even be costly- if the new pickup in the bullpen is pitching well, they may only need 1 more arm.

. . . if the new pickup in the bullpen is pitching well, they may only need 1 more arm.
Is that all? The new pickup has a lifetime 4.28 ERA and 4.58 this year with the Rays in 40 appearances. If he pitches like that here, I see this board calling for his DFA real quick.

Jim Bowden of The Athletic has reported that the Mets are no longer discussing Alonso. Not sure to what extent they ever were, but they ain't anymore.

He goes on to say that the Mets could be both buyers and sellers. If they see a deal that will benefit them long term, they'll consider it. But they also want to upgrade their pitching.

Would not be shocked if they sell high on Bader, if the opportunity arises.

Reactions: RU-05
ASB could not come at worst time !

Hope Mets maintain same intensity and winning formula vs Colorado ! Colorado is playing better as of late.

Hope crowds are large this weekend. Team deserves it and has earned it !

Season comeback to date has been incredible and fun !

On April 5; on May 5 ; on June 5 - I was dreading what a long summer this would be - and now I can’t wait for Mets baseball !

Team needs to be buyers ! Don’t sell ( and buy) and mess with team chemistry !

Reactions: Knight Shift
Jim Bowden of The Athletic has reported that the Mets are no longer discussing Alonso. Not sure to what extent they ever were, but they ain't anymore.

He goes on to say that the Mets could be both buyers and sellers. If they see a deal that will benefit them long term, they'll consider it. But they also want to upgrade their pitching.

Would not be shocked if they sell high on Bader, if the opportunity arises.
Bader has been a huge part of our success…and who are you selling too? A team we are competing with for a playoff spot?

Huuuge weekend

Mets vs very bad Rockies team

Braves at Padres
Cubs v cardinals double header Saturday
I would take either losing in that I Braves-Padres series. Then as long as we take care of business against Colorado we'd be gaining ground. We're only 5 games behind the Braves and have a home series against them soon after the break.

I would take either losing in that I Braves-Padres series. Then as long as we take care of business against Colorado we'd be gaining ground. We're only 5 games behind the Braves and have a home series against them soon after the break.
I sort of want to see the Braves lose 2/3 and for us to sweep

I sort of want to see the Braves lose 2/3 and for us to sweep
I'm not looking that far ahead. Just looking at who the Mets are playing. So many teams are in this WC mess that teams we might want to see lose in 2 weeks might be teams we want to win,lol. Either way, the Mets won't be sellers and will give us a good baseball season to the surprise of many haters,lol

Reactions: yesrutgers01
Useless factoid that maybe only @Doctor Worm might find interesting.

Mets, Padres and Boston are all in 3rd place in the wild card today. All have losing records at home, while the teams above them in the standings have winning records at home.
Since you were kind enough to call this to my attention, I feel I should respond.

TBH I didn't find this particular factoid all that unusual. 10 of the 30 teams in the league have better away records than home records.

For 2024, home teams have a win rate of 53%. I don't know how this compares to prior years. 53% is a bit lower than I would have thought, considering that in baseball, the home team has the advantage of batting last. The ghost runner rule would appear to significantly increase this advantage. But the stats don't seem to bear it out.

July 11 Mets Farm Report (Top 30 Prospects per MLB Pipeline)

AVG/OPS or E.R.A (W-L) (S)

1. Jett Williams SS/CF (AA Binghamton) - Injured
  2. Christian Scott RHP (NY Mets) - DNP
  3. Drew Gilbert OF (AAA Syracuse) - FCL REHAB 0/2, BB, K
  4. Ryan Clifford OF/1B (AA Binghamton) - 1/4, 2 K, .231/.912
  5. Luisangel Acuna SS/2B (AAA Syracuse) - G1 2/4, 2 R, SB(29) G2 1/3, R .262/.678
  6. Brandon Sproat RHP (AA Binghamton) - DNP
  7. Ronny Mauricio 2B/SS/OF (NY Mets) - Injured; Out for Season
  8. Colin Houck SS (Low A St. Lucie) - 1/4, 2 RBI, BB, K, .211/.626
  9. Marco Vargas INF (Low A St. Lucie) - Injured
  10. Kevin Parada C (AA Binghamton) - 3/4, HR(9), R, 2 RBI, .220/.677
  11. Blade Tidwell RHP (AAA Syracuse) - DNP
  12. Mike Vasil RHP (AAA Syracuse) - DNP
  13. Jeremy Rodriguez SS (Rookie FCL Mets) - 2/5, .280/.748
  14. Dominic Hamel RHP (AAA Syracuse) - G2 6.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 5 K, 1 HR, 6.66
  15. Jacob Reimer 3B/1B (High A Brooklyn) - FCL REHAB 0/1, BB
  16. Alex Ramirez OF (AA Binghamton) - 1/3, 2 R, BB, 2 SB(30), .240/.680
  17. Yovanny Rodriguez C (DSL Mets Orange) - 0/3, K, .159/.581
  18. Tyler Stuart RHP (AA Binghamton) - DNP
  19. Nolan McLean RHP/DH (AA Binghamton) - DNP
  20. Jonah Tong RHP (High A Brooklyn) - DNP
  21. Ronald Hernandez C/1B (Low A St. Lucie) - 1/3, 2 R, BB, K, .282/.750
  22. Jesus Baez SS/2B (High A Brooklyn) - Injured
  23. Calvin Ziegler RHP (High A Brooklyn) - Injured; TJS Out for Season
  24. Wilfredo Lara OF/3B (High A Brooklyn) - 0/5, R, 2 K, .229/.673
  25. Boston Baro SS/3B (Low A St. Lucie) - 2/3, 2 R, RBI, BB, K, .262/.735
  26. Nick Morabito OF (High A Brooklyn) - 2/4, R, RBI, BB, SB(26), .284/.726
  27. Raimon Gomez RHP (High A Brooklyn) - Injured
  28. Joander Suarez RHP (AA Binghamton) - DNP
  29. Saul Garcia RHP (Low A St. Lucie) - DNP
  30. Rhylan Thomas OF (AAA Syracuse) - G1 1/3 G2 1/2, R, .224/.667
Honorable Mention

• Wilkin Ramos RHP (AAA Syracuse) - G2 0.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K, 0 HR, 5.63, S(2)
  • Douglas Orellana (High A Brooklyn) - Injured
  • Kade Morris RHP (High A Brooklyn) - 6.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 2 K, 0 HR, 3.56, W(3-2)
  • Jack Wenninger RHP (High A Brooklyn) - DNP
  • Joel Diaz RHP (Low A St. Lucie) - DNP
  • Willy Fanas OF (Low A St. Lucie) - 0/3, R, 2 BB, K, .186/.560
  • A.J. Ewing 2B/CF (Low A St. Lucie) - 0/5, K, .202/.622
  • Jake Zitella 1B/3B (Rookie FCL Mets) - 0/2, .259/.741
  • Branny De Oleo SS/2B (Rookie FCL Mets) - DNP
  • Simon Juan OF (Rookie FCL Mets) - 2/4, 2B(10), R, K, .274/.813
  • Daiverson Gutierrez C (Rookie FCL Mets) - 1/3, RBI, .269/.797
  • Jeffry Rosa OF (Rookie FCL Mets) - 0/4, K, .129/.496

Mendoza is like a robot, some of which is due to his lack of experience. Regardless of the situation, he'll pull the starters, in most cases, after 5. Then, he recycles the same suspect pitchers who are having more questionable outings than good ones. No lead is comfortable, and that shouldn't be the case every time the BP pitches with 4, 5, or 6-run leads. You have to get more length out of the starters to reduce the chances one of the bums from the pen cost the Mets important games in a tight wildcard race. The front office is as much to blame as the manager. The front office did a piss poor job of getting at least one or two quality arms for the pen.
To be fair, nobody had two of the relievers going down with season ending injuries on their prediction card.

Right now, Mets are playing well and have become an exciting team. Unless they drop something like 5 of 7 against these two teams- they will be buyers.
And it won’t even be costly- if the new pickup in the bullpen is pitching well, they may only need 1 more arm.
Need as sold a lafty reliever as they can find.

Since you were kind enough to call this to my attention, I feel I should respond.

TBH I didn't find this particular factoid all that unusual. 10 of the 30 teams in the league have better away records than home records.

For 2024, home teams have a win rate of 53%. I don't know how this compares to prior years. 53% is a bit lower than I would have thought, considering that in baseball, the home team has the advantage of batting last. The ghost runner rule would appear to significantly increase this advantage. But the stats don't seem to bear it out.
I kinda thought without putting too much thought into it that Citi Field was a big home field advantage.

Mets offense is finally awesome and fun. Their bullpen is going to continue to do its thing and make every game a butt clencher

Why is he still on the team? Instead Lucchese was DFA'd. Joey wasn't a stud, but he is better than Diekman and could give length out of the BP and spot start like an opener.
Lucchesi stunk. Diekman really looks bad as well. Stearns will have to fix the pen coming up if we want to make a run.

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT