ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2024 NY Mets Season Thread

Why is he still on the team? Instead Lucchese was DFA'd. Joey wasn't a stud, but he is better than Diekman and could give length out of the BP and spot start like an opener.
He is still on the team because he throws with his left hand. If your next question is why is Ottavino still on the team, well I don't have an answer to that one.

Lucchesi stunk. Diekman really looks bad as well. Stearns will have to fix the pen coming up if we want to make a run.
I am keeping an eye on Fujinami. He pitched 1.1 innings in Syracuse last night, 1 hit (which unfortunately was a HR), 2 K's, and most importantly, no walks. Would not be surprised if we see him sometime after the break.

• Love
Reactions: Rutgers NJ
I am keeping an eye on Fujinami. He pitched 1.1 innings in Syracuse last night, 1 hit (which unfortunately was a HR), 2 K's, and most importantly, no walks. Would not be surprised if we see him sometime after the break.
We might see him but he isn't a solution.

Raley, Smith, Garrett and Reid-Foley injuries are brutal and difficult for any team to replace
Mets need a bounce back from Ottavino. Right now he has been relegated to mop-up duty. He has to earn his way back into the circle of trust.

Early returns on Butto out of the pen have been good, but the sample size is still very small.

Gary Cohen mentioned that this year has a 2008 feel. They go into the late innings knowing they have to outscore their bullpen.

Interesting note on Diekman. Mets hold a club option on his services for next year. However, if he makes 58 appearances, the option becomes guaranteed.

He is currently at 39 appearances. He will almost certainly get to 58, thus ensuring he is a Met in 2025. Unless he is injured - or DFA'd.

Why is he still on the team? Instead Lucchese was DFA'd. Joey wasn't a stud, but he is better than Diekman and could give length out of the BP and spot start like an opener.
Interesting thought !

More I watch the Mets this year , I wonder about 2 things :

1. Should bullpen consist more of arms that give you length such as Butto / Houser and possibly Megill / Lucchesi etc as a bridge to Diaz.

2. Does it make sense to always get players with 1 year contracts? Most are hungry and are playing well this year a la Severino / Bader etc.

Trade deadline will be quite interesting this year. Wonder if it ll be like 2015 when everyone was on pins and needles to acquire that big bat which came at the last second with Cespedes.
This year will be about pitching - relievers especially.

Maybe Parada will continue to up his numbers to play himself into being a possible trade commodity.
Recent reports have suggested his D is getting better. His bat was supposed to be his carrying tool so will be interesting to see how his second half goes. He's been really disappointing so far.

Lucchesi stunk. Diekman really looks bad as well. Stearns will have to fix the pen coming up if we want to make a run.
Diekman should be DFA'd like Lucchese. No need to keep so many bums around. You become infected with a loser mentality. You can see it now in how the BP expects to blowout any of them enters the game. Time to give some unproven guys their shot. Can be any worse. Just tired of the same sh*t every day.

. . . Stearns will have to fix the pen coming up if we want to make a run.
Boy, that was quick.

Just moments ago, the pen was going to benefit from rest over the ASB, call ups, Butto, new arms like Maton, guys settling into their roles, and Diaz having found himself. 30 hours later, with the Maton guy looking like he has his whole career, Diekman Diekmanning, and Diaz walking folks and throwing hanging sliders (that he got away with) and fastballs that came in at times at 95 and 96, the pen needs to be fixed.

Stearns definitely is in a place where he'll try to fix this. I hope he'll try a guy like Sproat as part of the solution. If answers are in house, use them rather than trading.

Diekman should be DFA'd like Lucchese. No need to keep so many bums around. You become infected with a loser mentality. You can see it now in how the BP expects to blowout any of them enters the game. Time to give some unproven guys their shot. Can be any worse. Just tired of the same sh*t every day.
The issue with Diekman is that he throws with his left hand, and God only made a limited number of those guys.

In addition to Diekman, Mets have lefty Danny Young on their roster, and also Josh Walker and Tyler Jay are at AAA. You have seen those guys already and I assume are unimpressed. The only other lefty they have at AAA is a 31 year old named Matt Gage, whom we may see at some point.

Boy, that was quick.

Just moments ago, the pen was going to benefit from rest over the ASB, call ups, Butto, new arms like Maton, guys settling into their roles, and Diaz having found himself. 30 hours later, with the Maton guy looking like he has his whole career, Diekman Diekmanning, and Diaz walking folks and throwing hanging sliders (that he got away with) and fastballs that came in at times at 95 and 96, the pen needs to be fixed.

Stearns definitely is in a place where he'll try to fix this. I hope he'll try a guy like Sproat as part of the solution. If answers are in house, use them rather than trading.
I'm not changing my tune but I mentioned to you already there needs to be an addition. I also didn't say it would be fixed, I was hopeful it would get better. Let's see where we're at by the deadline.

I'm not changing my tune but I mentioned to you already there needs to be an addition. I also didn't say it would be fixed, I was hopeful it would get better. Let's see where we're at by the deadline.
Dude . . . .

You said the ASB would help the bullpen get on its feet. You said that the rest would allow Mendoza to set defined roles. You laid out who would fill those roles: Diaz in the 9th. Nunez in the 8th. You put Maton in middle relief with Garrett and Butto. You had Orze in relief too, as the long guy. You said Diaz had found himself. You mentioned only a possible trade. Now, moments later, and before the expected help of the ASB even arrived, all of that is gone from your discussion and you're saying that Stearns has to fix the pen if we want to contend. That's a heck of a lot different from the defined roles of current players that you just set out, along with a "possible" trade.

I mean, that's fine. But if you put things out for discussions, they'll get discussed.

Season/trade deadline moves depends these 2 games and games at Marlins

Todays Rockies pitcher flat out sucks
1-8 5.49 era

Cardinals Braves play out of all star break.

Win and gain ground on Braves or Braves win and get 3-4 game lead on last wild card spot

Reactions: Doctor Worm
I agree 100%. Some young live arms, a little raw, but I always look to innings pitched to SO's. Swing and misses is a key to me.

Stewart and Gamel day

Nervous Ted Striker GIF by filmeditor

• Haha
The issue with Diekman is that he throws with his left hand, and God only made a limited number of those guys.

In addition to Diekman, Mets have lefty Danny Young on their roster, and also Josh Walker and Tyler Jay are at AAA. You have seen those guys already and I assume are unimpressed. The only other lefty they have at AAA is a 31 year old named Matt Gage, whom we may see at some point.
Lucchese is a lefty too and can give multiple innings. Anyway, neither is worth a crap.

Mendoza serious ???

Mr 168 batting 5th
Vientos 6th

Is this the theory that a guy in a 1-million slump will
get better pitches to hit with a hot hitter in vientos batting behind him ????

Splits​

DurationABRHHRRBIBBSOSBAVGOBPSLG
Last 7 Games220200260.091.167.091
Last 15 Games3524136110.114.244.200
Last 30 Games6468138210.125.243.188
Duration
Last 7 Games
Last 15 Games
Last 30 Games

Reactions: Mr Magoo
Mendoza serious ???

Mr 168 batting 5th
Vientos 6th

Splits​

Duration
Last 7 Games
Last 15 Games
Last 30 Games
Only thing I can think of is that maybe this Rockies pitchers is absolute poop against lefties.

Mendoza serious ???

Mr 168 batting 5th
Vientos 6th

Splits​

Duration
Last 7 Games
Last 15 Games
Last 30 Games
Garbage lineup today. At least there’s Lindor, Nimmo, Martinez, and Vientos…who should be 1 through 4. The others can be any order you want.

Garbage lineup today. At least there’s Lindor, Nimmo, Martinez, and Vientos…who should be 1 through 4. The others can be any order you want.
First 3 guys weren’t too impressive first at bats.

Butto has been a Godsend. Brilliant insight bringing him up and putting him in the pen. As for Scott he's been given every chance to get that elusive first win. Had 4 run leads twice now.

Talk about bullpen by committee! It's not even the all star break, and the Mets already have had nine different pitchers earn saves. Nine!

The Mets team record for number of pitchers earning saves is 11, in 1982. That was a bad team (67-95). Neil Allen was the closer with 19. A young Jesse Orosco had 3. As did Mike Scott, who had not yet mastered the dark arts.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Dude . . . .

You said the ASB would help the bullpen get on its feet. You said that the rest would allow Mendoza to set defined roles. You laid out who would fill those roles: Diaz in the 9th. Nunez in the 8th. You put Maton in middle relief with Garrett and Butto. You had Orze in relief too, as the long guy. You said Diaz had found himself. You mentioned only a possible trade. Now, moments later, and before the expected help of the ASB even arrived, all of that is gone from your discussion and you're saying that Stearns has to fix the pen if we want to contend. That's a heck of a lot different from the defined roles of current players that you just set out, along with a "possible" trade.

I mean, that's fine. But if you put things out for discussions, they'll get discussed.
Mr. Willis I never said you couldn't discuss! I enjoy that you challenge my posts. Lot of stream of consciousness stuff from me at times and other posts I look at information to form my conclusion. I don't think my posts on pen this week are too incongruent from each other. Regardless just love talking baseball. :)

Happy to get another series win and let's get that sweep for going into the break!

Just bad pitching today. Giving up long balls like it's an outing at Top Golf. Timely hits have been lacking also. Multiple chances to open a nice lead with the bases loaded. Not over yet though. Need to get some runners on base. Every one of these Rockies relievers have high era's.

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT