ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2024 NY Mets Season Thread

I was happy to see the Mets turn around their offense. I would have never thought it would be such a quick turnaround after watching the first month of the season. This team still doesn't seem like a true contender. Boras has screwed over another client in Alonso. That guy is headed to the Bellinger and Conforto type 1-2 year contracts from here on out. McNeill needs to be traded in the offseason along with Marte.
Early in the season, the Mets were a well below average offensive team. Then they were a well above average offensive team. In reality they are neither. They have a pretty good offense which may or may not prove to be good enough.

Boras did not get where he is by screwing over clients. Trust me on that one. Not his fault that Pete has picked the worst time to have his worst year.

Both McNeil and Marte are untradable, unless the Mets want to pick up a good chunk of their contracts, or unless they are willing to accept somebody else's bad contract in return.

Maybe they knew from the start that the game would turn into a blowout. It is so surprising-- usually announcers treat New York teams as being golden and everyone else as trash.
I think it's more that Seattle had gone like 20 years without a Sunday night home game. For their franchise and their entire city, this was a big f'n deal. ESPN treated the broadcast as a celebration of Seattle. The Mets, being well-mannered guests, did nothing to spoil the party.

If I remember correctly, you are a Phillies-hater -- so you may be surprised to know that Philly fans also find ESPN unwatchable. We much prefer Tom McCarthy and John Kruk, even though I would be the first to agree that they are far from great. ESPN's baseball announcing is just terrible.
I doubt there are many baseball fans anywhere in the country who prefer any national broadcast to their local team of announcers.

Interest in baseball is local, period. Ratings for national regular season games outside the local markets are absymal, compared to football. Football fans will watch a game even if their team isn't playing. Not so with baseball, at least not until you get to the postseason.

Early in the season, the Mets were a well below average offensive team. Then they were a well above average offensive team. In reality they are neither. They have a pretty good offense which may or may not prove to be good enough.

Boras did not get where he is by screwing over clients. Trust me on that one. Not his fault that Pete has picked the worst time to have his worst year.

Both McNeil and Marte are untradable, unless the Mets want to pick up a good chunk of their contracts, or unless they are willing to accept somebody else's bad contract in return.
Boras obviously doesn't intentionally screw over his clients, but his tactics of having his players not sign contracts until free agency is starting to backfire. Baseball has become a lot more cautious in giving out long term and huge contracts to player In their late 20s/early 30s. The ROI for most of these players except for a few like Bryce Harper has been abysmal. Even a guy like Trout may end up having a contract that is an albatross for the Angels. My opinion is that it all has to do with the long time it takes for players to reach free agency from their first major league appearance.

Reactions: Doctor Worm
I doubt there are many baseball fans anywhere in the country who prefer any national broadcast to their local team of announcers.

Interest in baseball is local, period. Ratings for national regular season games outside the local markets are absymal, compared to football. Football fans will watch a game even if their team isn't playing. Not so with baseball, at least not until you get to the postseason.
I know I don't watch unless it's a Mets game. Otherwise just not that interesting to me. If it's a game where I care about the outcome I just search the score online.

I agree, but there was a time when national broadcasts (think Curt Gowdy and Tony Kubek) were really good, and any game announced by Vin Scully was well worth watching. Harry Coyle as producer for NBC did so much to improve how baseball is presented on TV. ESPN and Fox seem to have no sense for the rhythms of baseball and their announcers seem totally uninterested in the sport or (as with John Smoltz) can't stop talking.

The entire city had an odd way of reacting to what it thought was a big f'n deal. It wasn't even close to a sell-out.
Did not study it closely, but it looked like the second and third level seating was mostly empty. Just look at this! 😜

GUusyxpaEAAj3Fb

Maybe it was the broadcast crew that thought it was a big deal to be in Seattle. A lot of people have nice things to say about the town.
It is a really beautiful place to visit. The views, the attractions, the food, etc are fantastic. Looking forward to going to a UW game at their stadium.

For the Mets:
Winless in Seattle or
Listless in Seattle

They should use a break after the beat down in Seattle.

Are Mets fans rooting for the Braves or Giants tonight? Braves lose, Mets tie for 3rd spot, but Giants are then 0.5 back.

unless it is east to west to midwest to west... :)
Yup. The difference between west-east and east-west is six hours. A team can travel east-west and play the next day. Especially if they have a day game on getaway day. But west-east would be very difficult.

Eddie (not Amed) Rosario has signed a minor league deal with the Mets. He had been DFA'd by Atlanta. More veteran depth which we hope will not be needed.

Don t be such negatoids. They have only been outscored 29-2 in the last 3 plus games. At least I am enjoying the beautiful weather.

New top 100 and Mets top 30 from Pipeline yesterday.

Top 100 Overall
40 Brandon Sproat
57 Jett Wiliams
82 Drew Gilbert
83 Ryan Clifford

New Top 30 with the recent draft picks bolded. Wenninger and Joander Suarez with good starts last night.

1. Brandon Sproat RHP (AAA Syracuse) -
  2. Jett Williams SS/CF (AA Binghamton) - Injured
  3. Drew Gilbert OF (AAA Syracuse) -
  4. Ryan Clifford OF/1B (AA Binghamton) -
  5. Carson Benge OF (Rookie FCL Mets) -
  6. Ronny Mauricio 2B/SS/OF (NY Mets) - Injured; Out for Season
  7. Jeremy Rodriguez SS (Rookie FCL Mets) -
  8. Blade Tidwell RHP (AAA Syracuse) -
  9. Nolan McLean RHP (AA Binghamton) -
  10. Jonah Tong RHP (High A Brooklyn) -
  11. Jonathan Santucci LHP (Rookie FCL Mets) -
  12. Luisangel Acuna SS/2B (AAA Syracuse) -
  13. Marco Vargas INF (Low A St. Lucie) - Injured
  14. Jesus Baez SS/3B (High A Brooklyn) - Injured
  15. Dominic Hamel RHP (AAA Syracuse) -
  16. Boston Baro SS/3B (Low A St. Lucie) -
  17. Trey Snyder SS/3B (Rookie FCL Mets) -
  18. Mike Vasil RHP (AAA Syracuse) -
  19. Nick Morabito OF (High A Brooklyn) -
  20. Jacob Reimer 3B/1B (High A Brooklyn) -
  21. Colin Houck SS (Low A St. Lucie) -
  22. Nate Dohm RHP (Rookie FCL Mets) -
  23. Daiverson Gutierrez C (Rookie FCL Mets) -
  24. Ronald Hernandez C/1B (Low A St. Lucie) -
  25. Kevin Parada C (AA Binghamton) -
  26. Alex Ramirez OF (AA Binghamton) -
  27. Edward Lantigua OF (DSL Mets Orange) -
  28. Yovanny Rodriguez C (DSL Mets Orange) -
  29. A.J. Ewing OF/2B (Low A St. Lucie) -
  30. Jack Wenninger RHP (High A Brooklyn) -

New top 100 and Mets top 30 from Pipeline yesterday.

Top 100 Overall
40 Brandon Sproat
57 Jett Wiliams
82 Drew Gilbert
83 Ryan Clifford

New Top 30 with the recent draft picks bolded. Wenninger and Joander Suarez with good starts last night.

1. Brandon Sproat RHP (AAA Syracuse) -
  2. Jett Williams SS/CF (AA Binghamton) - Injured
  3. Drew Gilbert OF (AAA Syracuse) -
  4. Ryan Clifford OF/1B (AA Binghamton) -
  5. Carson Benge OF (Rookie FCL Mets) -
  6. Ronny Mauricio 2B/SS/OF (NY Mets) - Injured; Out for Season
  7. Jeremy Rodriguez SS (Rookie FCL Mets) -
  8. Blade Tidwell RHP (AAA Syracuse) -
  9. Nolan McLean RHP (AA Binghamton) -
  10. Jonah Tong RHP (High A Brooklyn) -
  11. Jonathan Santucci LHP (Rookie FCL Mets) -
  12. Luisangel Acuna SS/2B (AAA Syracuse) -
  13. Marco Vargas INF (Low A St. Lucie) - Injured
  14. Jesus Baez SS/3B (High A Brooklyn) - Injured
  15. Dominic Hamel RHP (AAA Syracuse) -
  16. Boston Baro SS/3B (Low A St. Lucie) -
  17. Trey Snyder SS/3B (Rookie FCL Mets) -
  18. Mike Vasil RHP (AAA Syracuse) -
  19. Nick Morabito OF (High A Brooklyn) -
  20. Jacob Reimer 3B/1B (High A Brooklyn) -
  21. Colin Houck SS (Low A St. Lucie) -
  22. Nate Dohm RHP (Rookie FCL Mets) -
  23. Daiverson Gutierrez C (Rookie FCL Mets) -
  24. Ronald Hernandez C/1B (Low A St. Lucie) -
  25. Kevin Parada C (AA Binghamton) -
  26. Alex Ramirez OF (AA Binghamton) -
  27. Edward Lantigua OF (DSL Mets Orange) -
  28. Yovanny Rodriguez C (DSL Mets Orange) -
  29. A.J. Ewing OF/2B (Low A St. Lucie) -
  30. Jack Wenninger RHP (High A Brooklyn) -
STOCK UP: Sproat, J. Rodriguez, McLean, Tong, Baro.

STOCK DOWN: Acuna, Houck, Parada, Ramirez.

The only two players on this list who must be protected on the off-season 40 man, lest they be subject to the Rule 5 draft, are Hamel and Vasil.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT