ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2024 NY Mets Season Thread

How about the splinker? Still not sure what distinguishes a sinker from a splinker.
jimmy fallon dancing GIF by Obama

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
How about the splinker? Still not sure what distinguishes a sinker from a splinker.
You may rest your weary sphincter, I have looked it up for you.

I remember the collapse in 2022 when the experts said it was a lock because the Mets had the weakest remaining games. Someone forgot to tell those teams.
It's funny how things are looked at I believe the Met's went 17-8 in July 22, 18-11 in August of 22 and 14-11 in Sept 22 2-2 in Oct 22 that is 51-32

That looks far from a collapse.

The problem was that the Braves wouldn't lose.

It's funny how things are looked at I believe the Met's went 17-8 in July 22, 18-11 in August of 22 and 14-11 in Sept 22 2-2 in Oct 22 that is 51-32

That looks far from a collapse.

The problem was that the Braves wouldn't lose.
The collapse people remember is getting swept by the Braves in the next to last series of the year. Mets had a one game lead with six to play. Even if they had beaten the Braves just once, they would have been tied going into the final series, with the tiebreaker in their pocket. But they got swept, forcing them into the wild card series with the Padres. They lost that, and the "collapse" was complete.

People also remember their Big Three starters (Scherzer, deGrom, Bassitt) coming up small. At least not big enough.

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
The collapse people remember is getting swept by the Braves in the next to last series of the year. Mets had a one game lead with six to play. Even if they had beaten the Braves just once, they would have been tied going into the final series, with the tiebreaker in their pocket. But they got swept, forcing them into the wild card series with the Padres. They lost that, and the "collapse" was complete.

People also remember their Big Three starters (Scherzer, deGrom, Bassitt) coming up small. At least not big enough.
I was going to point out the Atl series but a single series is not a collapse

Reactions: BLewis1968
Pet peeve uniform-wise…

Not a fan of moving the Mets patch (so the sponsor is always facing the camera) depending on the batting stance.

Pet peeve uniform-wise…

Not a fan of moving the Mets patch (so the sponsor is always facing the camera) depending on the batting stance.
Had never noticed. What do they do for switch hitters like Lindor?

The Mets won easily tonight and the Braves were blasted. If the season ended right now, the Mets would have the last wild-card and the Braves would go home. I cannot remember the last time that the Braves didn't hold a playoff spot this late in the season.

The Mets won easily tonight and the Braves were blasted. If the season ended right now, the Mets would have the last wild-card and the Braves would go home. I cannot remember the last time that the Braves didn't hold a playoff spot this late in the season.
1935 - Babe Ruth's last season when they were the Boston Braves.*

*may be incorrect.

• Haha
Reactions: BLewis1968
We think of the Braves as a perennial power who are always there in October. But they have their ups and downs like everyone else. From 2014-2017 they had a four year streak of 90 loss seasons.

That said, they have been good far more often than not.

We think of the Braves as a perennial power who are always there in October. But they have their ups and downs like everyone else. From 2014-2017 they had a four year streak of 90 loss seasons.

Actually it's 2015-2017 -- the Braves lost only 83 in 2014. But your point's well-taken. For that matter, I remember when TBS began its national broadcasts of the Braves,and they were *terrible.*

The Mets should be able to beat out the Braves,Cards,and the Giants for that third WC spot,provided that they don't get wiped out with the Orioles,the Padres,and the Diamondbacks in a 10 game stretch,the last 7 on the road.
It's still looking good for the Phillies to clinch the East on 9/19,the Thursday night game at Citi Field game as I sit right under the broadcast booths.

From the 90s on. From the 70s to the 90s they had a 20 year period of being awful.

Only 1 game. Still very excited to see him in the majors
As are we all. But there has been chatter about promoting Sproat to the big club by August 31 so he'd be eligible for the postseason. Such talk was and is premature.

As are we all. But there has been chatter about promoting Sproat to the big club by August 31 so he'd be eligible for the postseason. Such talk was and is premature.
He would have 2 or 3 more starts before even being considered.

I didn't watch the game. Did they score any runs?
Sadly no, they did not score.

Lindor led off with a double, but was thrown out attempting to steal third. Ditto Iglesias. Martinez followed with a double, and was given the hold sign (do not steal) by Mendoza. His disgust upon receiving this sign was evident in his facial expression and body language.

Alonso followed with a long double off the top of the center field wall. Martinez misread it and assumed it was gone. This immediately brightened his mood. He entertained the crowd by doing backflips and cartwheels between second and third. Alas, the ball did not clear the fence, and Martinez could only make it to third.

Vientos then struck out to end the streak of four consecutive extra base hits, but no runs.

At least that is how I recall it. I may be mistaken about a detail or two.

Mets did something yesterday that they had never done before in their 63 year history - open a game with four consecutive extra base hits.
A clarification: yesterday was the first time that the Mets opened a REGULAR SEASON game with four consecutive extra base hits. They had previously done it in the postseason - 2000 NLCS, Game 4 against the Cardinals. Timo Perez, Edgardo Alfonso, Mike Piazza, and Robin Ventura all doubled in the bottom of the first, to turn an 0-2 deficit into a 4-2 lead which they never relinquished.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT