ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2024 Philadelphia Phillies Season Thread

I'm heading to the game today, which almost guarantees a loss šŸ¤£
First game of the year for me. I love that ballpark.

Reactions: RUScrew85
A cautionary note:The Fightins' are only 3-3 vs teams at .500 and above;21-8 vs lesser.
Who knows?
This team could be another '54 Indians,destroying bad teams with starting pitching while playing even with the big clubs.
That Indians' team went a combined 22-22 vs the Yankees and the White Sox and 89-21 vs the bottom 5 teams.
Of course,it ended badly for them as the Giants swept them in the World Series.
Are Wheeler,Nola,and Suarez another Lemon,Wynn,Garcia?
Another example of your flawed math. World Series Champions Texas Rangers came into the series at .500. Three loses sweep and they are longer at .500
You have to admit they are playing well.

I wonder will Topper go all out in September to get the best record instead of bringing up two starters to give the Big Three some needed rest.

Realmuto out 4-8 weeks. Knee surgery. Marchan brought up. Phils having some challenges whilst dominating baseball.

So the Phils need an OF (really maybe 2 or 3??!!). Why not move Harper back to RF or LF and look for a 1B rental? A 1B should be easier to find (heck they sorta have one in AAA). I'm not real impressed with the OF names being thrown around for a trade this summer. Harper can always move back to 1B after a long term OF is found off season.

Thoughts?

So the Phils need an OF (really maybe 2 or 3??!!). Why not move Harper back to RF or LF and look for a 1B rental? A 1B should be easier to find (heck they sorta have one in AAA). I'm not real impressed with the OF names being thrown around for a trade this summer. Harper can always move back to 1B after a long term OF is found off season.

Thoughts?
Harper's arm prevents him from playing the outfield. He can only DH or play 1B. It is to his credit that he volunteered to learn to play 1B so that Schwarber could DH and so that a better defender could be put in left field. (Schwaber couldn't run well last year because of his knees.)

Harper and Schwarber back tonight.
Clemens sent down.Dahl DFA'd.
I'm surprised that both Rojas and Pache are still up unless a trade may be in the works.
In the first round of the playoffs,I'd go with 11 pitchers and 6 bench players.

I'm surprised that both Rojas and Pache are still up unless a trade may be in the works.

Dahl had one good game. See ya. Rojas will stick for a while unless traded. Pache will be gone or Merrifield once the Phils find an OF not named Harper.

Congrats on clinching a post season spot already.

Dahl had one good game. See ya. Rojas will stick for a while unless traded. Pache will be gone or Merrifield once the Phils find an OF not named Harper.
Dahl had a 33% strikeout percentage -- you can't stay in the majors like that. The Phillies seem determined to give Rojas every possible chance. I think Pache is more likely to go than Merrifield because the latter can play a variety of positions.

Edit: I see they sent Clemens down because they don't see many at bats for a lefty and because they want him to pay left field in the minors.

Last edited:
Phillies sweep the Dodgers. Back to best record in baseball. 61 wins. Made it through some injuries and back on a roll. On the other hand what is going on with the Dodgers? And the Braves now 9.5 back.

Reactions: RutgersK1d
Phillies sweep the Dodgers. Back to best record in baseball. 61 wins. Made it through some injuries and back on a roll. On the other hand what is going on with the Dodgers? And the Braves now 9.5 back.
Dodgers Pitching staff is taking a beating. They have a bunch of injured guys.

Things are looking OK now after winning 3 straight series against wild card teams and division leaders.
Suarez is the biggest worry now.Sanchez really isn't a postseason sure thing as are Wheeler and Nola.
I'm hoping for an East Division clincher for Sept.19 with me in attendance at Citi Field.

Reactions: SouthJerseyRU
Today's lineup is different.
Topper has Schwarber in left,Wilson in right,Nick at DH,Koby at third,and JT behind the plate after a night game.
Clemens needs to be an all post season rosters.

Today's lineup is different.
Topper has Schwarber in left,Wilson in right,Nick at DH,Koby at third,and JT behind the plate after a night game.
Clemens needs to be an all post season rosters.
I don't think it's a big deal if he is or isn't on the playoffs roster.
Anyway another W for the Phillies and another lead off home run for Schwarber now tied for the all time lead in a season with Alfonso Soriano at 13. Had 3 bombs yesterday too!
Harper got hit hard in his left elbow and ended leaving the game a inning later. Doubt we will see him this weekend.

The Fightins' are only a half game behind the Dodgers and two and one half ahead of the Brewers.
Looking at the World Series possible matchups,they're now 3.5 ahead of the Orioles and 4 ahead of the Yankees and Cleveland despite losing series to all of them.

Reactions: LBusDoor90
There's another standing still going on that has been mostly overlooked.
It's the battle for first place overall,guaranteeing home field for the World Series.
Right now,the Dodgers have a one game lead over both the Yankees and the Phillies.
If all three finish in a tie,the Dodgers would get the edge over the Yankees.They in turn have it over the Phillies.
If the matchup is in the NLCS,the Phillies have the edge.

Three clinches down.
Three to go.
Next up is home field through the NL playoffs.
Then comes home field in the World Series,though that may not be determined until sometime during the playoffs.
Finally comes the rings and the parade down Broad Street.

The Fightins' have won a record 19 playoff games over the past two years without winning it all.
It's time.

Three clinches down.
Three to go.
Next up is home field through the NL playoffs.
Then comes home field in the World Series,though that may not be determined until sometime during the playoffs.
Finally comes the rings and the parade down Broad Street.

The Fightins' have won a record 19 playoff games over the past two years without winning it all.
It's time.
You have a strange obsession about the #1 seed. How many #1 and #2 seeds ever met lately? The last two #6 seeds made us too the World Series.

Harper was talking about getting the best record overall,trying to determine if he should rest this weekend.
So,the players are in agreement with me.

Topper said with the bye locked up last night it is time to rest players.
They have today off as well as several days off next week. The players need to get some swings in, or they will be rusty. High seeds generally have not done well, and it might be due to not facing live pitching for a long stretch.

They have today off as well as several days off next week. The players need to get some swings in, or they will be rusty. High seeds generally have not done well, and it might be due to not facing live pitching for a long stretch.
Nobody can argue the Harper needs some days off. He has admitted that he is dealing with several ailments. And you are making my point for me. Why chase for the #1 seed as it hasn't been a successful path to getting a World Series trophy.

The first seed in the NL is far more important than is No.1 overall because of the presence of teams on both coasts.
From the Phillies standpoint,if the Dodgers or the Padres are involved,it means only 2 coast to coast flights instead of 4.
Chat GPT will never be able to conclude this.

If the Dodgers lose one game out of the next 4,the Fightins' get No.1 overall.
Harper may be able to take off the entire weekend.JT only 2.This is an area where having that the third catcher would help.
I'd like to see Gilbert get more work.Walker must not see a post season roster.

Last edited:
If the Dodgers lose to SD tonight (and the Pads have had their number), I'm not resting anyway. Past #1 seeds have nothing to do with this year. Historical trends aren't statistically relevant. They rest today. As long as there's a chance to get 1st overall, I start my starters. As long as a game is in reach, I play them.

Reactions: RU in IM
The first seed in the NL is far more important than is No.1 overall because of the presence of teams on both coasts.
From the Phillies standpoint,if the Dodgers or the Padres are involved,it means only 2 coast to coast flights instead of 4.
Chat GPT will never be able to conclude this.
That is if they both get that far. When is the last time it's happened? It can't be important if a #6 seed gets through to NL Championship round.

LGM. This goes 5 games and it's any bodies to win. Throw those regular season records out the window as we've seen in the postseason many times.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT