ADVERTISEMENT

OT: a good friend is STUCK IN CHINA

Latest word is that it wasn't from the disgusting wet market, but actually from the viral research lab nearby, which is used for both civilian and military purposes. May have been an attempted bioweapon gone wrong.

Reactions: MrsScrew
I read one country (maybe France not sure) that is trying to take their citizens out will keep them under quarantine for 14 days when they return and if no signs of sickness will release them.
France.. and every other country.. should take them to an island somewhere. Not the continent. Quarantine them there for a long time. Why mess around?

France.. and every other country.. should take them to an island somewhere. Not the continent. Quarantine them there for a long time. Why mess around?
What would be the point of holding someone in quarantine way beyond the incubation period of the sickness?

Other countries are taking similar measures as far as quarantine I’ve read now.

NUTS, just saw an article regarding 201 Americans landing at March AFB in Cali. Pic of Kalitta Air 747? in article. Assuming your friend and family were on this flight. Article said they will be quarantined for only 72 hours. Id paste article but have no idea how to do it from my phone. Best of luck to them. Glad they made it out. article was in Daily Mail out of UK. Would be interested to know if there is a way to test for virus without waiting full incubation period.

Last edited:
Reactions: AreYouNUTS
NUTS, just saw an article regarding 201 Americans landing at March AFB in Cali. Pic of Kalitta Air 747? in article. Assuming your friend and family were on this flight. Article said they will be quarantined for only 72 hours. Id paste article but have no idea how to do it from my phone. Best of luck to them. Glad they made it out. article was in Daily Mail out of UK. Would be interested to know if there is a way to test for virus without waiting full incubation period.

Yep, they got in earlier today, all good! Three days quarantined and they were actually interviewed and on ABC world news tonight earlier this evening. I took a screenshot of my TV but I have yet to figure out how to post pictures on this site since it was redone lol.... Very easy on the other site though!

Reactions: TRU2RU and LC-88
Yep, they got in earlier today, all good! Three days quarantined and they were actually interviewed and on ABC world news tonight earlier this evening. I took a screenshot of my TV but I have yet to figure out how to post pictures on this site since it was redone lol.... Very easy on the other site though!

Very happy for you and your friends.

It’s the first story of the broadcast at around the 1:50 mark it starts. Have to verify your internet provider.

https://abc.com/shows/world-news-tonight/episode-guide/2020-01/29-wednesday-jan-29-2020

This has kind of been touched upon but just to put in perspective.

There's another virus that has infected 15 million Americans across the country and killed more than 8,200 people this season alone. It's not a new pandemic -- it's influenza.

The Centers for Disease Control predicts at least 12,000 people will die from the flu in the US every year. In the 2017-2018 flu season, as many as 61,000 people died, and 45 million were sickened.

In the 2019-2020 season so far, 15 million people in the US have gotten the flu and 8,200 people have died from it, including at least 54 children.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/01/30/health/flu-deadly-virus-15-million-infected-trnd/index.html

Can't trust China to report actual numbers of those infected
A friend is an expat with many friends still in China. They tell him to add a zero onto any number the Chinese government reports. The way China has responded suggests they know this is a very very big deal.

This has kind of been touched upon but just to put in perspective.

There's another virus that has infected 15 million Americans across the country and killed more than 8,200 people this season alone. It's not a new pandemic -- it's influenza.

The Centers for Disease Control predicts at least 12,000 people will die from the flu in the US every year. In the 2017-2018 flu season, as many as 61,000 people died, and 45 million were sickened.

In the 2019-2020 season so far, 15 million people in the US have gotten the flu and 8,200 people have died from it, including at least 54 children.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/01/30/health/flu-deadly-virus-15-million-infected-trnd/index.html

Quarantine in the desert someplace works too... just far away from people

Reactions: MulletCork
To try to put this into perspective for us; Chin-na has restricted movement of the combined population of California, Oregon, and Washington State.

3 days quarantine just turned into 2 weeks

I lived in China for two months this year for work, none of what you say is true. In the cities in China, most people have never actually seen an animal except in a zoo (I’m serious, they don’t seem to have chipmunks or squirrels there).
At least in the big cities, it is an entirely modern society in all ways. If sanitation is lacking, I never noticed it.
Elmira Express : We have seen a number of articles over the past several days which depict those China markets housing livestock , rodents , birds snakes , spiders , bats etc. along with very unsanitary conditions so before you call someone out for “ not be truthful” I would suggest you know WTF you’re defending . The Chinese government and not the people are a big problem . The Great Pandemic of 1918 ( Spanish Flu) originated in China. Hey they could lose 400 mil and still be the 2nd largest country in population . Think about those modern conveniences you praised a few days ago.

On the news today they had a family on, last name Stockstill. Is that the person you know?

30 days would be a safer number of days in isolation. 2 weeks is insufficient. A very scary scenario for those people who have been there within the past 2-3 weeks.

This should be required reading. Great article noting how much more people should be much more concerned about influenza than the latest exotic sounding virus, as the flu kills about 650,000 people per year worldwide, whereas in SARS's worst year it killed under 1000 and this new coronavirus doesn't appear to be worse than SARS (although it's still early and more data are needed). Also, an interesting tidbit below that in the Congo, measles killed 5000 last year, mostly children under 5, which is far more than Ebola killed, yet there is far more fear over Ebola.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...deadlier-than-wuhan-china-disease/4564133002/

"There’s a deadly virus spreading from state to state. It preys on the most vulnerable, striking the sick and the old without mercy. In just the past few months, it has claimed the lives of at least 39 children.

The virus is influenza, and it poses a far greater threat to Americans than the coronavirus from China that has made headlines around the world.

“When we think about the relative danger of this new coronavirus and influenza, there’s just no comparison,” said Dr. William Schaffner, a professor of preventive medicine and health policy at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. “Coronavirus will be a blip on the horizon in comparison. The risk is trivial.”

To be sure, the coronavirus outbreak, which originated last month in the Chinese city of Wuhan, should be taken seriously. The virus can cause pneumonia and is blamed for more than 800 illnesses and 26 deaths. British researchers estimate the virus has infected 4,000 people.

Influenza rarely gets this sort of attention, even though it kills more Americans each year than any other virus, said Dr. Peter Hotez, a professor of pediatrics, molecular virology and microbiology at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston.

Worldwide, the flu causes up to 5 million cases of severe illness worldwide and kills up to 650,000 people every year, according to the World Health Organization. And yet, Americans aren’t particularly concerned.

Fewer than half of adults got a flu shot last season, according to the CDC. Even among children, who can be especially vulnerable to respiratory illnesses, only 62% received the vaccine.

If Americans aren’t afraid of the flu, perhaps that’s because they are inured to yearly warnings. For them, the flu is old news. Yet viruses named after foreign places – such as Ebola, Zika and Wuhan – inspire terror.

“Familiarity breeds indifference,” Schaffner said. “Because it’s new, it’s mysterious and comes from an exotic place, the coronavirus creates anxiety.”

Some doctors joke that the flu needs to be rebranded.

“We should rename influenza; call it XZ-47 virus, or something scarier,” said Dr. Paul Offit, director of the Vaccine Education Center at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia.

Measles in the Democratic Republic of Congo has killed 5,000 people in the past year – more than twice as many as Ebola. Yet UNICEF officials have noted that the measles, which many Americans no longer fear, has gotten little attention. Nearly all the measles victims were children under 5.

Some people may worry less about the flu because there’s a vaccine, whose protection has ranged from 19% to 60% in recent years. Simply having the choice about whether or not to receive a flu shot can give people an illusion of control, Schaffner said.

But people often feel powerless to fight novel viruses. The fact that an airplane passenger spread SARS to other passengers and flight crew made people feel especially vulnerable.

Because the Wuhan virus is new, humans have no antibodies against it. Doctors haven’t had time to develop treatments or vaccines.

The big question, so far unknown, is just how easily the virus is transmitted from an infected person to others. The WHO this week opted not to declare the Wuhan outbreak an international health emergency. But officials warn the outbreak hasn’t peaked. Each patient with the new coronavirus appears to be infecting about two other people.

By comparison, patients with SARS, or Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome, spread the infection to an average of two to four others. Each patient with measles – one of the most contagious viruses known to science – infects 12 to 18 unvaccinated people.

Health officials worry that the new coronavirus could resemble SARS – which appeared suddenly in China in 2002 and spread to 26 countries, sickening 8,000 people and killing 774, according to the WHO.

The U.S. dodged a bullet with SARS, Schaffner said. Only eight Americans became infected, and none died, according to the CDC. Yet SARS caused a global panic, leading people to shutter hotels, cancel flights and close businesses.

Coronaviruses can be unpredictable, said Dr. Michael Osterholm, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota. While some patients never infect anyone else, people who are “superspreaders” can infect dozens of others.

At Seoul’s Samsung Medical Center in 2015, a single emergency room patient infected 82 people – including patients, visitors and staff – with a coronavirus called MERS, or Middle East Respiratory Syndrome. The hospital partly shut down to control the virus.

“This is one of the finest medical centers in the world, on par with the Cleveland Clinic, and they were brought to their knees,” Osterholm said.

Yet MERS has never posed much a threat to the U.S.

Only two patients in the U.S. – health care providers who had worked in Saudi Arabia – have ever tested positive for the virus, according to the CDC. Both patients survived.

Hotez, who is working to develop vaccines against neglected diseases, said he worries about unvaccinated children. Most kids who die from the flu haven’t been immunized against it, he said. And many were previously healthy.

“If you’re worried about your health, get your flu vaccination,” Hotez said. “It’s not too late.”"

The Influenza virus has herd immunity and spreads to about 1.28 people for every 1 infected person. So that means influenza has been around and many people have developed immunity to it.

This Virus is NCOV - the N stand for new - nobody on planet earth has been exposed to this strain of the Corona Virus before this outbreak. So there is no herd immunity to it.

If the attached video is true and RO factor is 4 or above - that means 1 infected person can spread it to 4 other people you have the Spanish Flu plus - think the Spanish flu was in the high 2 or 3.

Nobody is going to stop it - except warm weather. We are about 3 weeks behind China. imo

Peace out

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herd_immunity

Wuhan is the size of NYC - 5 million people got out before the quarantine for their New Year.

They travel for their New Year - some to the US...ive heard there are 17 cases in CA already.

The US has not shut down flights from China to the US - yet. So it's here - now....

These Virus's thrive in cold weather - not hot weather - so it will go dormant say in May or June for the NE and come back in November/December 2020. That's how the Spanish Flu worked in 1918 - the second wave just killed everyone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu

PS - I would not eat at any US fast food restaurants until further notice.

Fast food chains reveal China suppliers

https://money.cnn.com/2014/08/12/news/china-fast-food-suppliers/

Nobody is going to stop it - except warm weather.

So you're saying heading to Florida is a good idea? And driving an SUV there to promote Global Warming is a good idea? And maybe China's Bio-Weapons are being used to think the herd over there?

Good discussion here about China from expats from US and South Africa about China - these Wet markets and bat stew an eye opener to say the least. Couldn't see anything going wrong here - people eating bats - snakes - etc.

More quackery of the first order. Zerohedge, the source that relies on rumor and hearsay from anonymous sources. Yeah, that's the way to go if you want to be respected as journalists. Not. And poorly written, to boot. First sentence is nonsensical: "Last year a mysterious shipment was caught smuggling Coronavirus from Canada." Shipments don't smuggle, people or organizations do.

Bro - there is no cure...they guess at the Influenza Vaccine every year and never get it right....if the Influenza Vaccine is so good - why are all these people dying from Influenza.

Its a shot in the dark - they have no idea what strain of Influenza will hit for the following year - bitch. Didnt you know that smart guy? I dont think they have got it right yet.

Idiot. lol

Wuhan is the size of NYC - 5 million people got out before the quarantine for their New Year.

They travel for their New Year - some to the US...ive heard there are 17 cases in CA already.

The US has not shut down flights from China to the US - yet. So it's here - now....

These Virus's thrive in cold

weather - not hot weather - so it will go dormant say in May or June for the NE and come back in November/December 2020. That's how the Spanish Flu worked in 1918 - the second wave just killed everyone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu

PS - I would not eat at any US fast food restaurants until further notice.

Fast food chains reveal China suppliers

https://money.cnn.com/2014/08/12/news/china-fast-food-suppliers/

Folks - if you really want the best info on this coronavirus, read the NY Times link below - it's superb (although a lot longer than what I tried to put together below, lol).

As usual, you're full of misinformation. Viruses don't thrive in the cold - they do much better at body temperature inside the host. The reason viruses are transmitted much more readily in the winter in the northern and southern hemispheres is a combination of cool, dry conditions, which lead to drier mucus, leading to more easily airborne virus particles; in addition, viruses will survive a bit longer outside the host in cool dry conditions. Also, people tend to congregate in groups, inside, much more in cold weather (especially around the holidays). And viruses don't go "dormant" in warm weather - it's simply that transmission rates are much lower, so incidence is much lower.

And while this novel coronavirus (nCoV) is a serious world health risk, just like SARS was, it's extremely unlikely to become anything like the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic which killed 20-100MM of the 500MM infected, as it was much more transmissible and had a much greater death rate than typical influenza viruses, which, combined with the complete lack of understanding of how viruses spread and the lack of medical treatment options, led to those very scary numbers. The fact that the flu usually has a low death rate (0.1% or so vs. the 2-3% of the Spanish Flu) is one of the biggest reasons people don't take it as seriously as they probably should - the seasonal flu still infects ~500MM people a year and kills ~500,000.

Also, that video you shared from "Doctor" Martenson (not an MD) is full of exaggerations and only focuses on the potential worst case from that non-peer-reviewed Chinese medical data. Most experts think the R0 reproduction number of 4.08 they estimated is erroneously high as per the link below (WHO estimates between 1.4 and 2.5, while other experts think the range is 1.5-3.5, which is in the same range as the ~3 of SARS). However, I do think he was right to call out the slow response in China, initially, as others have.

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-pers...ncov-more-infectious-sars-experts-have-doubts

The reason the number of cases are now higher than the SARS outbreak (which is likely fueling the high R0 estimates) is likely what the NY Times article said: that transportation in and out of China and around China is 4X greater than it was even just back in 2003, when SARS hit (so it spread faster), plus it looks like the Chinese were slower to respond this time. That might be due to the fact that SARS had a CFR (case fatality rate) of about 7-10% and it looks like nCoV has a likely CFR around 2-3%. In the end, SARS infected about 8100 people and killed about 770 and already nCoV has infected 10,000+ (known cases) and probably many more - which is good and bad - it's bad because there are likely more cases, but it's good in that the actual CFR is likely lower than projected, since there are likely many mild to non-symptomatic cases.

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2020/1/31/21115109/coronavirus-outbreak-end-sars-comparison

Hopefully, the more aggressive current public health steps in China will greatly slow down the current rate of transmission. This kind of effort was effective in snuffing out SARS within a year (and would've made a huge difference in the 1918 pandemic). The other major steps that need to be taken appear like they are now in many countries of quarantine and tracking of potentially infected people and travelers from Wuhan/China, as well as simple measures like frequent hand-washing, decontamination of surfaces, and wearing masks - these kinds of steps actually change the R0, which is a transmission rate assuming no vaccine (there is none yet obviously - takes about a year to get one - and in the case of SARS, by the time it was ready, it wasn't needed) and no public health measures. With health professionals now looking for cases, I would think that transmission rates will be much lower in the US, just like they were for SARS.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/world/asia/china-coronavirus-contain.html

You might have a week to 10 days...to get your supplies. Once the panic hits around the tri-state area - too late.

Shoprite sells a 50lb bag of Carolina Rice for 21 bucks - get that and Target has a sale on Bush's Black Beans for 79 cents a can - get that...stock up!

Protect yourself - protect your family - till May the weather warms up and regroup after that.

And Water - you need that - you can go 30 days without food but only 1 day without water - so secure clean drinking water.

So what are you going to do if they say - the town water is contaminated? You better have a galllon per person per day in your family of fresh drinking water .

Peace out

Bro - there is no cure...they guess at the Influenza Vaccine every year and never get it right....if the Influenza Vaccine is so good - why are all these people dying from Influenza.

Its a shot in the dark - they have no idea what strain of Influenza will hit for the following year - bitch. Didnt you know that smart guy? I dont think they have got it right yet.

Idiot. lol
Wrong again - you are completely clueless - you don't even understand the difference between a cure (eliminating a disease once someone has it and yes, there is no "cure" for the flu) and a vaccine, which can prevent infection in the first place. The flu vaccine is moderately effective, reducing lab-confirmed influenza cases by about 60%.

Most of the people who die of the flu are immunocompromised or less healthy populations, like babies, the elderly, and those with respiratory illnesses to begin with and the elderly who get the vaccine, but still get the flu are about 50% less likely to suffer hospitalizations than those who did not get the vaccine, so it has some protective benefits even for people who get the flu.

Also, the annual flu vaccine is an educated guess based on global trends in observed viruses (especially looking at the flu in the winter in the southern hemisphere for us in the northern hemisphere and vice-versa), which is why it's not close to foolproof like most vaccines. So you're clueless about everything in your post above. Congrats on being perhaps the biggest moron on the board.

https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/how-effective-is-flu-vaccine#1

Folks - if you really want the best info on this coronavirus, read the NY Times link below - it's superb (although a lot longer than what I tried to put together below, lol).

As usual, you're full of misinformation. Viruses don't thrive in the cold - they do much better at body temperature inside the host. The reason viruses are transmitted much more readily in the winter in the northern and southern hemispheres is a combination of cool, dry conditions, which lead to drier mucus, leading to more easily airborne virus particles; in addition, viruses will survive a bit longer outside the host in cool dry conditions. Also, people tend to congregate in groups, inside, much more in cold weather (especially around the holidays). And viruses don't go "dormant" in warm weather - it's simply that transmission rates are much lower, so incidence is much lower.

And while this novel coronavirus (nCoV) is a serious world health risk, just like SARS was, it's extremely unlikely to become anything like the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic which killed 20-100MM of the 500MM infected, as it was much more transmissible and had a much greater death rate than typical influenza viruses, which, combined with the complete lack of understanding of how viruses spread and the lack of medical treatment options, led to those very scary numbers. The fact that the flu usually has a low death rate (0.1% or so vs. the 2-3% of the Spanish Flu) is one of the biggest reasons people don't take it as seriously as they probably should - the seasonal flu still infects ~500MM people a year and kills ~500,000.

Also, that video you shared from "Doctor" Martenson (not an MD) is full of exaggerations and only focuses on the potential worst case from that non-peer-reviewed Chinese medical data. Most experts think the R0 reproduction number of 4.08 they estimated is erroneously high as per the link below (WHO estimates between 1.4 and 2.5, while other experts think the range is 1.5-3.5, which is in the same range as the ~3 of SARS). However, I do think he was right to call out the slow response in China, initially, as others have.

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-pers...ncov-more-infectious-sars-experts-have-doubts

The reason the number of cases are now higher than the SARS outbreak (which is likely fueling the high R0 estimates) is likely what the NY Times article said: that transportation in and out of China and around China is 4X greater than it was even just back in 2003, when SARS hit (so it spread faster), plus it looks like the Chinese were slower to respond this time. That might be due to the fact that SARS had a CFR (case fatality rate) of about 7-10% and it looks like nCoV has a likely CFR around 2-3%. In the end, SARS infected about 8100 people and killed about 770 and already nCoV has infected 10,000+ (known cases) and probably many more - which is good and bad - it's bad because there are likely more cases, but it's good in that the actual CFR is likely lower than projected, since there are likely many mild to non-symptomatic cases.

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2020/1/31/21115109/coronavirus-outbreak-end-sars-comparison

Hopefully, the more aggressive current public health steps in China will greatly slow down the current rate of transmission. This kind of effort was effective in snuffing out SARS within a year (and would've made a huge difference in the 1918 pandemic). The other major steps that need to be taken appear like they are now in many countries of quarantine and tracking of potentially infected people and travelers from Wuhan/China, as well as simple measures like frequent hand-washing, decontamination of surfaces, and wearing masks - these kinds of steps actually change the R0, which is a transmission rate assuming no vaccine (there is none yet obviously - takes about a year to get one - and in the case of SARS, by the time it was ready, it wasn't needed) and no public health measures. With health professionals now looking for cases, I would think that transmission rates will be much lower in the US, just like they were for SARS.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/world/asia/china-coronavirus-contain.html

Yup - listen to this idiot - China doesnt have enough test kits to test their people. They have no idea how many people are infected but sure listen to the NY Times...lmao

I really don't care what you do - I have 100lbs of Rice - can goods up the ass - N95 masks - goggles - Silver - Gold - Guns - Lead.

But please listen to the NY Times - I guess you can eat a newspaper.

Peace out

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT