ADVERTISEMENT

OT: A Solution To Solve Tanking In The NFL (And Other Pro Sports)

tico brown

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Oct 16, 2005
Lost in the Brian Flores situation is the Tanking Situation that has been going on in Pro Sports for decades. I believe the MLB PA brought this up as one of the proposals for their new agreement that will never happen. I actually thought of this solution years back as a result of watching European soccer but thought that this was too much until this came up for baseball.

Instead of tanking for draft position or for more lottery balls (which is another abomination of its own), just simply have the draft order starting with the first team with the best record out of the playoffs on down to the 1-16 dregs. This will give extra incentives for those playoff chasing teams to keep playing hard after they’re eliminated to get that missing piece or two that will get them over them him and into the playoffs. It will also save those Top 5-10 talents from playing and getting killed on those 1-16 dregs by playing on a team that’s closer to the playoffs.

I know it will never happen because the NFL is a spread the wealth league. Plus Jamar Chase/Joe Burrow’s play this year doesn’t help this proposal. But with this set up, those dregs Lions, Giants, Jets, etc will be forced to do whatever it takes to improve their systems.

Like I said, this will never happen but it would prevent less tanking.

What say you?

Reverse weighted lottery, the closer to a playoff spot you are, the more balls you get. Dead last, you get one ball.

I get that the way they do it promotes parity but having teams tank in order to get the first pick does suck.

perhaps further financial incentives for the players are necessary. While we all like to think they give it their all for the love of the game, if a player gets paid the same whether they’re in 17th place or 30th, do they really care?

Lost in the Brian Flores situation is the Tanking Situation that has been going on in Pro Sports for decades. I believe the MLB PA brought this up as one of the proposals for their new agreement that will never happen. I actually thought of this solution years back as a result of watching European soccer but thought that this was too much until this came up for baseball.

Instead of tanking for draft position or for more lottery balls (which is another abomination of its own), just simply have the draft order starting with the first team with the best record out of the playoffs on down to the 1-16 dregs. This will give extra incentives for those playoff chasing teams to keep playing hard after they’re eliminated to get that missing piece or two that will get them over them him and into the playoffs. It will also save those Top 5-10 talents from playing and getting killed on those 1-16 dregs by playing on a team that’s closer to the playoffs.

I know it will never happen because the NFL is a spread the wealth league. Plus Jamar Chase/Joe Burrow’s play this year doesn’t help this proposal. But with this set up, those dregs Lions, Giants, Jets, etc will be forced to do whatever it takes to improve their systems.

Like I said, this will never happen but it would prevent less tanking.

What say you?
That's a sure fire way to keep the dregs of the league the dregs. If you like dynasties like College Football it's great and if your team is one of the haves. But if you like parity and not the same old, same old every year than it sucks.

Me, I hate dynasties as it ruins the game. As all we're watching is the same teams year after year being the only ones to have a chance. I love the College football regular season, I despise the playoffs, it's become stale. Which did you like better, the blowouts in college or the last minute and OT wins in the NFL the last two weeks?

Reverse weighted lottery, the closer to a playoff spot you are, the more balls you get. Dead last, you get one ball.

I get that the way they do it promotes parity but having teams tank in order to get the first pick does suck.

perhaps further financial incentives for the players are necessary. While we all like to think they give it their all for the love of the game, if a player gets paid the same whether they’re in 17th place or 30th, do they really care?
Lotteries creates controversy.

Season records earns their spots in the draft.

And no, they don’t care whether they’re 17th or 30th. But if they want to get into the playoffs, they better win as many games as possible

That's a sure fire way to keep the dregs of the league the dregs. If you like dynasties like College Football it's great and if your team is one of the haves. But if you like parity and not the same old, same old every year than it sucks.

Me, I hate dynasties as it ruins the game. As all we're watching is the same teams year after year being the only ones to have a chance. I love the College football regular season, I despise the playoffs, it's become stale. Which did you like better, the blowouts in college or the last minute and OT wins in the NFL the last two weeks?
You're certainly not the only one who hates dynasties. I wonder sometimes. The NBA was popular when the Celtics were dominant. Major league baseball was popular when the Yankees ruled the roost.Same with the Canadiens and the NHL. Could it be that outstanding teams attract people who want to see a sport played at its best? I don't know, but I wanted to just throw it out there.

Last edited:
I don’t think it’s a good idea for the NFL. A major reason for the NFL’s enormous popularity is the overall competitiveness of the league. There is an entire system in place with the draft, FA and the salary cap that helps to ensure a fair distribution of talent. College football right now is very top heavy . Overalll, many are getting tired of the same schools dominating the sport. I believe this year’s NC game was either the lowest or 2nd lowest viewer rated in the playoff era.

Lotteries creates controversy.

Season records earns their spots in the draft.
only if the lottery is rigged.. otherwise the ONE PING PONG BALL thing would work.

then again, for a clear and away top pick.. why should ping pong balls decide his fate and destination? Maybe give the presumed top pick and extra ping pong ball or two to give to the place where he wants to go... among the lottery teams.

The best solution I've heard is the Gold Plan. Draft order is based on most wins once you're eliminated from playoff contention.

I’m highly skeptical that there is widespread tanking in the NFL. I would use the NHL system where you can’t fall more than a few spots but tanking doesn’t guarantee a specific draft position. Maybe also eliminate contingency on trading draft picks based on results

In hindsight I think I liked it better before the playoff when it was just the howls deciding it. I’m over watching Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State over and over again too,

Reactions: koleszar
In hindsight I think I liked it better before the playoff when it was just the howls deciding it. I’m over watching Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State over and over again too,
Then you’re really not going to like what CFB will be going forward

In football- it seems that "tanking" would be very obvious. You literally have to sit your best players in order to tank. Because every single player on the field has to give it their all or risk injury or being cut.

Only true way to end tanking is to add promotion and relegation but it will never happen in American sports

Reactions: tico brown
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT