ADVERTISEMENT

OT: AD Hobbs Women's Lax

Lax is a preppy sport, preppy girls are far and few between at Rutgers.
It is what it is.

Zap they're awful. For CRUSHED by Tenple today and lost are 1-6 on the season and lost to Monmouth again. Went like 3-13 last year. This isn't about "preppiness."

Rutgers is not on the Radar down here, Monmouth county, for w lax. Two daughters played and a number of girls from the area got scholarships not one went to RU. In fact RU didn't contact any of the girls who were good enough to play at the next level.

this is all on the coach. She did not have the qualifications to be a head coach when she was hired and her teams have not performed well at all she has gone through assistant coaches like a knife through hot butter which tells you something. She should have been let go a long time ago and there is no way she should have been back this year as I believe her contract was up last year. Again with a good coach this program could be another top program in no time.

Temple has a had a good team in the past and few would call that a prep school. This definitely isn't about Rutgers not being Dartmouth.

This is a coaching issue. You can't have what Rutgers has and be this bad. They aren't even competitive. This staff has never been part of a successful program, so they don't know what it looks like to have one. Go the Ash route.

Hire an assistant from NW or Maryland. They seem to have a lot of success when moving on to other schools.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
My niece's daughter plays at a high level in Maryland (she'll be going to Hopkins) . She did not have good things to say about the program and she was being kind.

Everybody:

- there are non "preppy" schools kicking are ass (and have been for a while)

- nowhere did I say, let alone insinuate, that this sport takes precedent above men's (or women's) basketball. That being said this is a QUICK and CHEAP fix. This coach is awful, bottom line, and she needs to go.

Last edited:
Hobbs has hoops to worry about...dont expect womens lax to be a priority to get addressed for another year

Hopefully Hobbs doesnt think like this. Are you saying he can only work on one program, one coach at a time? I would like to give him a little more credit than this, I would think he can evaluate many programs in a season, perhaps even in a day! Its not hard to look at the results during a coaches tenure and decide if they need to go or stay. He has plenty of people around him to help.

There are plenty of colleges who aren't preppy who are doing a lot better than us and there are plenty of HS's with really good programs who aren't Montclair or Summit or Chatham. Not all of the girls playing HS lacrosse end up at Princeton or Duke. There is a ton of HS talent in every sport in NJ, there is no reason we should be this bad in any sport, especially on the women's side. With Title IX I would venture to say most of the women's sports are well funded, if not fully funded.

Since Hobbs had a meeting with men's lacrosse alumni, that suggests he'd be aware of this situation with the women's team by now if it is as bad as you believe.

Hobbs is a real AD. He thinks of the department as a whole, not just football and hoops. That's mom and pop.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
Lax is a preppy sport, preppy girls are far and few between at Rutgers.
It is what it is.
I watch a lot of Lax and you are just knee jerking see below

When is the last time a NJ girl lax player from Montclair, West Essex or Chatham offered before her senior year in high school went to RU?
the talent is here and other B10 schools are raiding us religiously see belwo

Hobbs has hoops to worry about...dont expect womens lax to be a priority to get addressed for another year
Hobbs has two ball; he can juggle them! he had can two coach for poor performance that is his job

Love BTN when I can not get to a Lax game. That said every B10 team we played last year had and in some cases started a Jersey girl.
I just popped over to Michigan Lax roster and 20% are Jersey girls
Molly Fisher - Florham park
Natalie Carti - Oakland
Lauren Oberland- Westfield
Devon Maltz- Ridgewood
Mira Shane - Princeton
Adriana Pendino - Moorestown
Katie Smesko- Ridgewood
Maggie Handlan - Moorestown
Sydney Dallmass- Moorestown
IF we keep our Jersey Girls home and we will win a LAX national championship
That all said we have talent but again they are not playing to their top potential. Coaching at this highest level is lacking.

Reactions: mikefla
Cali hit the nail on the head with this coach she never was an assistant at a successful program before she started here. If you look at all the successful programs right now in D1 womens most of the coaches are from either the Northwestern or Maryland coaching tree because these assistants see what it takes to have a top notch program. this is exactly what Hobbs did with Ash and football he took an assistant from the number 1 program. It does not take long look at U of Florida they were in a final four I think in either there second or year as a D1 program so it just takes the right coach and like it is with every other sport if you recruit NJ you can have a champion

Rutgers is not on the Radar down here, Monmouth county, for w lax. Two daughters played and a number of girls from the area got scholarships not one went to RU. In fact RU didn't contact any of the girls who were good enough to play at the next level.
We need to change that perception..

Hobbs has two ball; he can juggle them! he had can two coach for poor performance that is his job

Love BTN when I can not get to a Lax game. That said every B10 team we played last year had and in some cases started a Jersey girl.
Natalie Carti - Oakland
Devon Maltz- Ridgewood
Mira Shane - Princeton
Katie Smesko- Ridgewood
That all said we have talent but again they are not playing to their top potential. Coaching at this highest level is lacking.

Agreed, USC just started their program, and they have 4-5 NJ Girls. This is simply a matter of Hobbs hiring an Elite Coach. Not very difficult at all. Now Men's B-Ball, now that's tricky.

totally agree..given the majority of our sports need to upgrade
womans lax is far down on the list
just enjoy our wrestling, soccer, mens lax and lately TRACK teams...so SOME team ARE improving
until
football kicks in

When we get the B10 funds.......things will happen....

just enjoy our wrestling, soccer, mens lax and lately TRACK teams...so SOME team ARE improving
until
football kicks in

Wait for What? Women's Lacrosse and Volleyball need to be upgraded pronto. And why this incessant need to cry broke. It's just unbecoming. Rutgers is a B10 school. No excuses. Finance the needed Fixes.

The fans created a football at all cost culture. Hard to ignore them as they bully out the other sports. Need to be well rounded and address multiple things at 9once. No reason to wait to get better.

until football kicks in
BULL$HIT on the money as we will always be in debt. Why the more we get from B10 the less we get from the state. B10 give US 30 Million Christie cuts 30 million from our budget. look at reality of NJ politics
For starters Hermann should have fired her last year. But no balls and a bad mouth kept Hermann from do any changes quickly
Also BB is a winter sport and W-Lax is a spring sport. we keep Jordan one more year or he is let go by weeks end the BB issue will be resolved or delayed by the end of the LAX season at which time Hobbs can move on Lax. he does not even have to have two balls in the air Hobbs resolves BB and at the end of May he addresses W-Lax

Reactions: NickyNewark51
When is the last time a NJ girl lax player from Montclair, West Essex or Chatham offered before her senior year in high school went to RU?

Right that it is primarily a preppy sport - it's why, for example, in DIII, 7 of the top 13 (of the many, many schools that play) schools are NESCAC schools - Middlebury, Amherst, Tufts, etc. - though TCNJ is always a national power as well (but TCNJ gets more preppy-type kids than RU - not a lot, but certainly more than RU). As Zap said, the upper middle class towns simply don't send many of their kids to RU (for sports or otherwise) and many of those towns have strong LAX programs. There are some exceptions - you'll see some athletes form Millburn (MLAX), Bernardsville (Baseball), Rumson (WSocc - I believe) etc. on occassion, but only on very rare occasion.

Last edited:
The game has changed, Maryland is a perennial contender. It isn't much different than RU.

It's game on at Ohio St., Hofstra and a whole host of schools. The small east coast prep school thing is long over. The game is played everywhere now, public and preps a like.

Zappa, you are a little outdated on the top girls lax teams in NJ. More like Moorestown, Ridgewood, Summit, Oak Knoll, Rumson-Fair Haven these days. And most girls now committing their freshman or sophomore years for D1 women's lacrosse. Crazy I know, but that is what the timetable is currently. Rutgers women's lax is irrelevant on the national scene right now unfortunately.

until
football kicks in

You should stop propagating the thought that B1G funds alone will do it. It takes those funds AND donations to be competitive in this league. Our peers aren't relying on conference funds alone and neither can we if we want to be successful.

Natalie Carti - Oakland
Devon Maltz- Ridgewood
Mira Shane - Princeton
Katie Smesko- Ridgewood
To be honest, Michigan is not the benchmark. They have had very average teams the last few years, not ranked in the top 20. For B10 girls lacrosse, it is Maryland, Northwestern (bot perennial powers), Penn State, and Ohio State. All 4 are consistently ranked in the top 10/20 of women's lacrosse. Michigan has been weak, Rutgers by far the worst.

Right that it is primarily a preppy sport - it's why, for example, in DIII, 7 of the top 13 (of the many, many schools that play) schools are NESCAC schools - Middlebury, Amherst, Tufts, etc. - though TCNJ is always a national power as well (but TCNJ gets more preppy-type kids than RU - not a lot, but certainly more than RU). As Zap said, the upper middle class towns simply don't send many of their kids to RU (for sports or otherwise) and many of those towns have strong LAX programs. There are some exceptions - you'll see some athletes form Millburn (MLAX), Bernardsville (Baseball), Rumson (WSocc - I believe) etc. on occassion, but only on very rare occasion.

TCNJ's success has less to do with preppy kids than the coach.

Pfluger ranks among the elite at any NCAA level as the veteran coach has compiled an impressive 437-47-1 record in 28 seasons. Her lofty winning percentage of .901 is the best in NCAA history at any level and she also ranks in the top five at all levels for career wins.

Under her guidance, TCNJ has earned 11 NCAA Division III Championships, five NCAA Runner-Up titles, and four third-place finishes. Her teams have qualified for the NCAA Tournament in each of her 27 seasons and also captured the inaugural New Jersey Athletic Conference Championship when it was introduced as a conference sport in 2009.

The preppy thing has some legs but it doesn't explain the success at Temple,Maryland, TCNJ and other schools

Get the right coach and we win.

You should stop propagating the thought that B1G funds alone will do it. It takes those funds AND donations to be competitive in this league. Our peers aren't relying on conference funds alone and neither can we if we want to be successful.
Isnt my only thought...money helps...but it IS a long list of needed upgrades

Starting with EJ firing MINUTES ago

Wait for What? Women's Lacrosse and Volleyball need to be upgraded pronto. And why this incessant need to cry broke. It's just unbecoming. Rutgers is a B10 school. No excuses. Finance the needed Fixes.
YOU have to be the most unknowlegeable poster on this site....even for a freshman
gets weary El Cabeza Vacante/Vacia
we ARE nearly broke....
.and welcome to my ignore list

Isnt my only thought...money helps...but it IS a long list of needed upgrades

Starting with EJ firing MINUTES ago

Agree with that. Eddie is an alum and we all wanted him to be successful, but it was so painful obvious, so early, that he wasn't the guy. Rutgers is bigger than Eddie, and for those of us that have no recollection of his playing career, another year would have done his reputation a lot of damage.

Hobbs is the man and this is the new Rutgers. Be successful or be fired.

I try to post very little when I don't know much about the topic. Or at least don't offer an opinion which shows I know very little.

I suggest a lot of you do the same in this thread.

(Insert face palm .gif or meme here)

Reactions: NickyNewark51
I try to post very little when I don't know much about the topic. Or at least don't offer an opinion which shows I know very little.

I suggest a lot of you do the same in this thread.

(Insert face palm .gif or meme here)

Okay. Tell us what you know/believe; I'd like to hear it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT