ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Alabama

So a player provided someone with a gun (which is illegal even if you legally own the firearm) to someone who then used it to kill someone? This kid is facing hard time. Yet oates wont even suspend him!? Lol
absolutey --this kid could /should be charged as an accessory before the fact, co-conspirator and various other felonies including felony murder charges. If the Alabama coach doesn't immediately suspend the player then something is very very rotten with him , his team and the university.

If I were the coach, I'd suspend him for keeping a loaded gun in the backseat of his car under a pile of clothes.
That is reckless and irresponsible gun ownership that led to the worst-case scenario.

Reactions: fluoxetine
absolutey --this kid could /should be charged as an accessory before the fact, co-conspirator and various other felonies including felony murder charges. If the Alabama coach doesn't immediately suspend the player then something is very very rotten with him , his team and the university.
There are a lot of facts we seem not to know yet but the one that seems to be true is that anyone In Alabama can legally carry a firearm and not have it registered.
So- having his friend’s gun, transporting it, giving it to someone, etc…is not a crime as long as you are over 19.
Everything else, doesn’t seem like anyone knows for sure.
But it really does seem like something walks like a duck.
But if the police have interviewed the kid and say he is not being charged and are satisfied with his story. Not much anyone can do.
But, with that said- the response by the school/coach- horrific look.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
If I were the coach, I'd suspend him for keeping a loaded gun in the backseat of his car under a pile of clothes.
That is reckless and irresponsible gun ownership that led to the worst-case scenario.

But he didn’t know it was there — so we are told.

When I was college I’d find a quarter in the back seat. This just happened to be a loaded gun about to be used in crime.

Anybody shocked by this should check into the Patrick Dennehy murder. Big $ sports attracts the worst and brings out the worst in people. Nobody wants to derail the gravy train. How many of these scumbags are successful at burying similar tales? We only see the one's caught.
The NBA is in bed with the Chinese government. They LITERALLY kill and enslave people there. Then comically the virtue signalers tell us how they are looking out for the "oppressed" with all their slogans and signs. With a straight face! You can't make this sh!t up.😂😂😂
But hey, somebody gotta make the shoes. Where else you gonna get that kidney? Right LeBron?

Reactions: motorb54
Anybody shocked by this should check into the Patrick Dennehy murder. Big $ sports attracts the worst and brings out the worst in people. Nobody wants to derail the gravy train. How many of these scumbags are successful at burying similar tales? We only see the one's caught.
The NBA is in bed with the Chinese government. They LITERALLY kill and enslave people there. Then comically the virtue signalers tell us how they are looking out for the "oppressed" with all their slogans and signs. With a straight face! You can't make this sh!t up.😂😂😂
But hey, somebody gotta make the shoes. Where else you gonna get that kidney? Right LeBron?

Not sure what China has to do with this situation.

There are a lot of facts we seem not to know yet but the one that seems to be true is that anyone In Alabama can legally carry a firearm and not have it registered.
So- having his friend’s gun, transporting it, giving it to someone, etc…is not a crime as long as you are over 19.
Everything else, doesn’t seem like anyone knows for sure.
But it really does seem like something walks like a duck.
But if the police have interviewed the kid and say he is not being charged and are satisfied with his story. Not much anyone can do.
But, with that said- the response by the school/coach- horrific look.

Lots of questions. Starting with ....does Alabama University allow its athletes to carry weapons, transport weapons or to have them on campus?

Lots of questions. Starting with ....does Alabama University allow its athletes to carry weapons, transport weapons or to have them on campus?

That's a weird question to start with.
Does Rutgers ban athletes from legal gun ownership?

It's already been established that the transport or carry isn't illegal in Alabama. Why would the university go beyond the law? Even if he knew the gun was there - it's not illegal for it to be there.

Open Carry is legal as Alabama is now a Permitless Carry State. Places as listed in the “Places Off Limits” above apply to those who open carry. See the Permitless Carry Section for more info on Alabama’s Permitless Carry Law.
Note: The University of Alabama is stating they do not fall under the new law and their firearms policy is still in effect. No Firearms on their property even in their parking lots/garages. Other Schools of Higher Education may also be enforcing their policies on No Firearms on their campus. Use Caution until this is decided by the AG or most likely by the courts. UA Firearms Policy

So, to me, the question is if he knew the gun was in his car and when it was, was he ever on school property with it.

It's already been established that the transport or carry isn't illegal in Alabama. Why would the university go beyond the law? Even if he knew the gun was there - it's not illegal for it to be there.
see response above...and I am sure Rutgers does not allow even legal guns on their property either.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Putting aside the gun supplier issue but isn't blocking the car in akin to one person holding another person down while someone else kicks that person's head in? There has to be some sort of accessory charge there.
if you believe Miller's lawyer (who also says there's video), miller parked first before the victims car was in its position.

As I stated in a previous post if the school/coach doesn't take some sort of disciplinary action you are saying that it's OK for one of your players to drive around in the early morning hours with a loaded handgun in the car bringing it to a friend who is at a bar/club and is in some kind of dispute/altercation with someone else.

That's OK as long as you don't break the law.
agree, while it may not have been a state law that was broken, Bama has their own gun policy (HERE) so is the area of the shooting considered on-campus? If so he should be tossed by the school at the very least temporarily.

if you believe Miller's lawyer (who also says there's video), miller parked first before the victims car was in its position.

agree, while it may not have been a state law that was broken, Bama has their own gun policy (HERE) so is the area of the shooting considered on-campus? If so he should be tossed by the school at the very least temporarily.
Question on Miller parking first. I thought I also read either in this thread or elsewhere that Miller’s car was also hit by gunfire. If that isn’t true/ never mind. But if that is actually true, I would almost think being there first is actually worse…

Question on Miller parking first. I thought I also read either in this thread or elsewhere that Miller’s car was also hit by gunfire. If that isn’t true/ never mind. But if that is actually true, I would almost think being there first is actually worse…
this was miller lawyer press release: he does mention millers car getting shot/hit. I just mentioned the parking first in terms of the argument about purposefully blocking them in.

What i havent seen anywhere is----after the shots and when lawyer says miller took off right away...did he drive miles away? or did he take off alone?

While i dont know enough to say definitely charge him with anything criminally, i think they should atleast look for some small things---like it sounds like an investigator said miller told him lies. ((Culpepper said Miller also informed police that he never saw anyone with a gun or saw the shooting that left Harris dead.) How can you be there, have miles/other guy collect gun from your back seat, hear the shots, get your car hit by bullets, take off right away because of the shooting and then say never saw anyone with a gun or saw the shooting overall???

Not to mention, teams suspend players for games for missing practice or some minor issue behind the scenes. So UA and/or the coach should be ashamed at not even doing the minimum.

That's not exactly the entire story.
From the above article Miller was already on his way and almost there when the text came in. And he didn't say "gun" but a slang "joint". I don't know how plausible deniability works legappy when someone uses slang.

He said Alabama didn't know of Miles' text message asking Miller to bring the gun to the scene until police testified to it in the court hearing Tuesday. Alabama officials also learned that Miller had already been on his way to pick up Miles when the text arrived. Byrne added that Miles had wanted to be picked up for "close to an hour" before Miller made his way over and was "already almost there" when the text arrived.

The text that Miles allegedly sent to Miller, according to the testimony, included a slang term for wanting his gun: "I need my joint."
Miles never heard of an Uber?

Don't worry, he will be suspended the day after Alabama's run in March Madness ends. He will become a millionaire in the NBA, but he will feel the repercussions when a 30for30 is made one day an hurts his feelings.

As long as you are actively making a team win at an elite level .... there are never real consequences for actions for athletes.

The only funny part of this is the tizzy it puts the mainstream media in.

1) The left media wants to use anything they can as an excuse for gun confiscation
2) This is usually a good story for them to run with
3) However if they run with this story they'd have to call for them to put a young minority in prison
4) The above puts them in a mental pretzel. We know if a white player did this and the result was a black woman/mother being murdered and said white player wasn't arrested there'd be riots and it'd be all over the news, biden would fly down and tell us how we live in this vicious racist country, white privilege, etc. Won't hear that here.
LOL leave it to a snowflake like you to make this about something it isn't. Can we all (and by all I mainly mean you) just STFU about this stuff and talk about this major CBB story without making it some odd political crusade?

I think you lost your train of thought in there somewhere. This thread is about a dude who plays basketball for the University of Alabama.

Reactions: cm_13
Don't worry, he will be suspended the day after Alabama's run in March Madness ends. He will become a millionaire in the NBA, but he will feel the repercussions when a 30for30 is made one day an hurts his feelings.

As long as you are actively making a team win at an elite level .... there are never real consequences for actions for athletes.
Wonder if the family of the victim will bring a civil suit?

The only funny part of this is the tizzy it puts the mainstream media in.

1) The left media wants to use anything they can as an excuse for gun confiscation
2) This is usually a good story for them to run with
3) However if they run with this story they'd have to call for them to put a young minority in prison
4) The above puts them in a mental pretzel. We know if a white player did this and the result was a black woman/mother being murdered and said white player wasn't arrested there'd be riots and it'd be all over the news, biden would fly down and tell us how we live in this vicious racist country, white privilege, etc. Won't hear that here.
Horrible take. I'm somewhat left of center, but I strongly believe in innocent until proven guilty, so have no reason to say that Miller is guilty of something, given what we know and what his lawyer said and especially given AL gun laws. But if the story doesn't check out (there is a lot of grey here), I'd have zero problem locking up anyone who committed a crime, black or white. To imply that "the left" would feel differently is ridiculous. We also don't "know" any of what you claimed we'd know in your dumb hypothetical.

Lastly, having said all that, the Bama coach looks way out of touch with reality here. Even if there is no "legal" case against Miller, surely, bringing a loaded gun to a friend who he knows is at a bar, probably drinking, is not the kind of behavior anyone should be condoning - and obviously, he said nothing when his friend presumably came to his car outside the nightclub to get his gun - and then he just drove off after the shooting rather than being the witness he should have been? All things that aren't what we want our students or student athletes doing, which is why I'm surprised he wasn't at least suspended for awhile.

https://sports.yahoo.com/why-alabam...-not-been-charged-with-a-crime-223931989.html

this was miller lawyer press release: he does mention millers car getting shot/hit. I just mentioned the parking first in terms of the argument about purposefully blocking them in.

What i havent seen anywhere is----after the shots and when lawyer says miller took off right away...did he drive miles away? or did he take off alone?

While i dont know enough to say definitely charge him with anything criminally, i think they should atleast look for some small things---like it sounds like an investigator said miller told him lies. ((Culpepper said Miller also informed police that he never saw anyone with a gun or saw the shooting that left Harris dead.) How can you be there, have miles/other guy collect gun from your back seat, hear the shots, get your car hit by bullets, take off right away because of the shooting and then say never saw anyone with a gun or saw the shooting overall???

Not to mention, teams suspend players for games for missing practice or some minor issue behind the scenes. So UA and/or the coach should be ashamed at not even doing the minimum.
This is what I am saying- there are some times that a duck is well, a duck.
So, let's go by wheat the lawyer has given. Miles left his gun in Miller's car. Miller was unaware of this. Miles needs him to pick him up- Miller starts heading over and during the drive, Miles texts him that he needs his slang "joint". Miller is the only responsible college age kid and more responsible than 95% of driving adults and never looks at his text...well, you know, he was driving. (my speculation, if he didnt see the text while driving, it was because he was too busy tweeting while driving insteadlol) - he gets there, which is before the victim...Miles runs up and grabs the gun from the back seat and dashes away. Miller decides to stay and wait for his friend and hs obviously not seen the text yet. hears gunshots, his car is hit by gunshots...and he races away with or without Miles. We do not know.
Something really stinks- btw- this is also a handgun, not a rifle- if his car is getting shot, that shit was happening right in front of him. let's say within 100 yds.

I also saw somewhere that I thought Miles had his GF there too and had her get into his backseat. If that is the case, then Miles already had a car there and never called Miller for a ride...

Horrible take. I'm somewhat left of center, but I strongly believe in innocent until proven guilty, so have no reason to say that Miller is guilty of something, given what we know and what his lawyer said and especially given AL gun laws. But if the story doesn't check out (there is a lot of grey here), I'd have zero problem locking up anyone who committed a crime, black or white. To imply that "the left" would feel differently is ridiculous. We also don't "know" any of what you claimed we'd know in your dumb hypothetical.

Lastly, having said all that, the Bama coach looks way out of touch with reality here. Even if there is no "legal" case against Miller, surely, bringing a loaded gun to a friend who he knows is at a bar, probably drinking, is not the kind of behavior anyone should be condoning - and obviously, he said nothing when his friend presumably came to his car outside the nightclub to get his gun - and then he just drove off after the shooting rather than being the witness he should have been? All things that aren't what we want our students or student athletes doing, which is why I'm surprised he wasn't at least suspended for awhile.

https://sports.yahoo.com/why-alabam...-not-been-charged-with-a-crime-223931989.html

But that's not what happened according to reports. Or even close.

He was going to pick up a friend.
If he's around the corner and found out the friend left his gun in the backseat - Miller should have turned around and drove off with the gun in his backseat?

Or just get to his friend quickly and get the gun out of the car?
He didn't go there to bring a gun by all reports.

If I'm close to picking up my friend and he says "where are you? I need my gun" I'm not driving away with some random gun in the back.

I'm getting there and saying "WTF dude??? Get that shit out of my car."

But that's not what happened according to reports. Or even close.

He was going to pick up a friend.
If he's around the corner and found out the friend left his gun in the backseat - Miller should have turned around and drove off with the gun in his backseat?

Or just get to his friend quickly and get the gun out of the car?
He didn't go there to bring a gun by all reports.
Depends if he saw the text saying Miles needed his gun, which I'm not sure we know yet. If he did, then, no, he shouldn't have brought the gun; if he hadn't seen the text before Miles retrieved the gun, then your point is valid.

Depends if he saw the text saying Miles needed his gun, which I'm not sure we know yet. If he did, then, no, he shouldn't have brought the gun; if he hadn't seen the text before Miles retrieved the gun, then your point is valid.
Here is the reality- there is no kid in college that does not see a text immediately. They use that excuse all the time to parents and girlfriends but they have seen it.

Here is the reality- there is no kid in college that does not see a text immediately. They use that excuse all the time to parents and girlfriends but they have seen it.

Agreed. He def saw it.

Won't speak for others but I'm driving faster then and yelling "F@ck dude! Get that out of my f@cking car! Are you f@cking kidding me!"
I'm not driving the other way with some random gun rolling around in the back.

Agreed. He def saw it.

Won't speak for others but I'm driving faster then and yelling "F@ck dude! Get that out of my f@cking car! Are you f@cking kidding me!"
I'm not driving the other way with some random gun rolling around in the back.
I hear you on this, but at the same time, I’d be extremely concerned as to why my friend NEEDS his gun at that exact moment. That should raise some suspicion around what he plans to do.

Reactions: Kbee3

Is it? Or are you just being contrarian for the sake of being contrarian? If you have a legal carry and conceal license in NJ does that mean that you can take it into your office/place of work? Alabama University as with other universities and institutions has rules of conduct associated with students and athletes related to no firearms on their campus etc. This rule was obviously broken. It is incumbent on the University and Athletic department to further investigate if Miller broke the rules, especially in such a public case in which Murder was involved by his teammate and the firearm was in his vehicle - which was likely on campus at some point. Based on the coach's response and relative lack of communication by the University - it cannot be assumed that any such University investigation was taking place.

Is it? Or are you just being contrarian for the sake of being contrarian? If you have a legal carry and conceal license in NJ does that mean that you can take it into your office/place of work? Alabama University as with other universities and institutions has rules of conduct associated with students and athletes related to no firearms on their campus etc. This rule was obviously broken. It is incumbent on the University and Athletic department to further investigate if Miller broke the rules, especially in such a public case in which Murder was involved by his teammate and the firearm was in his vehicle - which was likely on campus at some point. Based on the coach's response and relative lack of communication by the University - it cannot be assumed that any such University investigation was taking place.
exactly- think about it- I am not sure there is any state that regulates or registers shotgun ownership- does anyone really think that every dorm room in most states would not be filled with "legal" guns at all times if Universities did not regulate it on their own.

I'm not sure if that rule was broken. His lawyer said that he dropped Miles off at the club which is when Miles left the gun in Miller's back seat, he went to a restaurant for dinner, dropped someone else off at their home, and then went back to the club to pick up Miles.

Unless this restaurant, or the other person that was dropped off, are on campus, I don't think the university rule was broken.

What is very obvious is this future lottery pick needs to think about who he spends his time with going forward.

Reactions: NickRU714
People are “suspended pending investigation” all of the time. When we are talking about something as serious as murder, feels warranted. Especially if things are still fluid in the actual police investigation.
Pending an investigation? The investigation began in January and the DA's office had nothing to change him with. The investigation appears to be over they already had a preliminary hearing.

Remember, Miller did not even give the gun to the person who fired it. In fact, Miller's lawyer stated that Miller never even touched the gun.

I get that the average person is reacting to the information that came out on Tuesday. Hell, I reacted to it myself and then I had to remind myself that the University of Alabama probably has known this information for weeks.

If it’s not against university policy to intentionally block the egress of a soon to be murder victim, then Bama should review their policy.
If it wasn't on campus what business is it of the University how students park?

City police can issue a parking ticket if needed.

when Miller starts shooting, lookout
This would be hilarious if Miller actually shot someone with a gun or even handed the gun to the shooter. That way you could make an 'assist' joke. But thus far, the evidence indicates that Miller did neither.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT