ADVERTISEMENT

OT: All inclusives

RUfanSinceAnderson

All American
Gold Member
Feb 1, 2006
Thinking of taking my adult (20s) kids to an all inclusive this summer. We’ve done cruises sonwewanted to try just one island / place instead.

Any recommendations? Price matters - but don’t want the red roof in.

I went to an all-inclusive resort in Punta Cana a few years ago. There are several there. The beaches are nice and the water is warm. I booked mine through Apple Vacations, but I am sure there are a bunch of options.

Thinking of taking my adult (20s) kids to an all inclusive this summer. We’ve done cruises sonwewanted to try just one island / place instead.

Instead of an island, how about Kellerman's in the Catskills? All-inclusive resort with a good dance program.

I've used godreamvacations.com, which coordinates deals with Apple Vacations. I've used them a bunch of times...Punta Cana Dom Rep (Iberostar, RIU Palace), Santo Domingo Dom Rep (former Hilton All-Incl), Puerto Plata Dom Rep (Iberostar Costa Dorado, RIU Bachata, and aformer Hilton All-Incl), Cancun Mex (Moon Palace), Cozumel (El Cozumeleno), Riviera May Mex (Dreams Tulum), Panama (RIU Playa Blanca), and Jamaica (Iberostar Rose Hall). My kids were a but younger except for Panama.

Moon Palace was the largest with more things to do than the other places (Golf on site), many restaurants (however, all food was bland), wasn't impressed with beach itself but a lot of pools. Moon Palace, and the Palace resorts in the Cancun / Riviera Maya area had a bussing system to take you between their hotels, if you wanted to try a restaurant or beach at another one of their site. We went to Beach Palace in Cancun and spent a good part of the day there...walked across the street to a few bars (Carlo's and Charlies or something like that). Not sure if they are still the same company, but they owned the Wet & Wild water park just outside of Cancun...which they provided free entry / access for those that stayed at Moon Palace. The Wet & Wild also had an area that included all food and drinks just by showing them your Moon Palace wrist band.

Iberostar by far had the best restaurants / food. Pool and beaches nice at all Iberostar places, had a lot of ocean options (scuba, snorkeling, excursions). The Puerto Plata site my favorite although not very large site. We went their 2x. The people working the entertainment at Iberostar were great...they were always engaging, getting you to join in activities, whether it be Volleyball, some sort of obstacle courses, etc. Also had a great outdoor shipwreck party with BBQ on the beach. Even cooked a giant pan of Seafood Paella with Lobsters, etc., beach competitions, etc.

RIU's seemed to be sort of cookie cutter similarity at all sites...looked really nice, food just ok, pool and beaches nice at all RIU places, had a lot of ocean options (scuba, snorkeling, excursions).

El Cozumeleno was the smallest All-Incl I've been to...one site down restaurant, but brought a lot of single $s for tipping...and they went all out for us. One night they didn't have any interesting desserts, so I asked waiter if they could make some sort of flambé dessert. They did some show with it at my table...I left him a $10 tip. Next night everybody was asking for something flambé....I felt bad, so I wasn't going to order anything special. The waiter then told me he could make a different type of flambé. So, I went with it and tipped him another $10 (note this was like 1999). Activities were great...golf right next door, easy to rent a car to travel the island or taxi. Cozumel known for Scuba, and Snorkeling...also went to some nice park.

Dreams Tulum was a great place...but far from Cancun and not a lot of things in area at night. Food was great, activities were good, and close to a lot of sites (Chichen Iza - spelling?, Underground Cenote which was great to go down the cave and than go swimming in the water). The grounds of the hotel were great...on a very large lot, gardens, etc.

Godreamsvacations sometimes has these 5 Apple Square deals....where you basically sign up for a vacation but you won't know which all-inclusive resort they'll put you in until you arrive at the local airport. They guarantee a 5 Apple rated resort...which is not quite 5 star US standard, but the top tier that they have, We did it once, and got placed in the Dreams Tulum site. We were very pleased with it...and I've been wanting to try a 5 Apple Square deal again.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
I went to an all-inclusive resort in Punta Cana a few years ago. There are several there. The beaches are nice and the water is warm. I booked mine through Apple Vacations, but I am sure there are a bunch of options.
Wow..Apple is still around? I was going to say we booked through them late 1990s to PC twice. Iberostar was a great deal, good food and had one of the best beaches I ever dug my toes into back then.

. The people working the entertainment at Iberostar were great...they were always engaging, getting you to join in activities, whether it be Volleyball, some sort of obstacle courses, etc.
"Bolleyball on da beach!!"

I wouldn’t recommend Punta Cana as their food sucks. You need something in Mexico, PR or Jamaica.
Though, if on budget and used to Cruise food- PC is pretty much the most budget friendly.

Reactions: DowntownT_Brown
I've used godreamvacations.com, which coordinates deals with Apple Vacations. I've used them a bunch of times...Punta Cana Dom Rep (Iberostar, RIU Palace), Santo Domingo Dom Rep (former Hilton All-Incl), Puerto Plata Dom Rep (Iberostar Costa Dorado, RIU Bachata, and aformer Hilton All-Incl), Cancun Mex (Moon Palace), Cozumel (El Cozumeleno), Riviera May Mex (Dreams Tulum), Panama (RIU Playa Blanca), and Jamaica (Iberostar Rose Hall). My kids were a but younger except for Panama.

Moon Palace was the largest with more things to do than the other places (Golf on site), many restaurants (however, all food was bland), wasn't impressed with beach itself but a lot of pools. Moon Palace, and the Palace resorts in the Cancun / Riviera Maya area had a bussing system to take you between their hotels, if you wanted to try a restaurant or beach at another one of their site. We went to Beach Palace in Cancun and spent a good part of the day there...walked across the street to a few bars (Carlo's and Charlies or something like that). Not sure if they are still the same company, but they owned the Wet & Wild water park just outside of Cancun...which they provided free entry / access for those that stayed at Moon Palace. The Wet & Wild also had an area that included all food and drinks just by showing them your Moon Palace wrist band.

Iberostar by far had the best restaurants / food. Pool and beaches nice at all Iberostar places, had a lot of ocean options (scuba, snorkeling, excursions). The Puerto Plata site my favorite although not very large site. We went their 2x. The people working the entertainment at Iberostar were great...they were always engaging, getting you to join in activities, whether it be Volleyball, some sort of obstacle courses, etc. Also had a great outdoor shipwreck party with BBQ on the beach. Even cooked a giant pan of Seafood Paella with Lobsters, etc., beach competitions, etc.

RIU's seemed to be sort of cookie cutter similarity at all sites...looked really nice, food just ok, pool and beaches nice at all RIU places, had a lot of ocean options (scuba, snorkeling, excursions).

El Cozumeleno was the smallest All-Incl I've been to...one site down restaurant, but brought a lot of single $s for tipping...and they went all out for us. One night they didn't have any interesting desserts, so I asked waiter if they could make some sort of flambé dessert. They did some show with it at my table...I left him a $10 tip. Next night everybody was asking for something flambé....I felt bad, so I wasn't going to order anything special. The waiter then told me he could make a different type of flambé. So, I went with it and tipped him another $10 (note this was like 1999). Activities were great...golf right next door, easy to rent a car to travel the island or taxi. Cozumel known for Scuba, and Snorkeling...also went to some nice park.

Dreams Tulum was a great place...but far from Cancun and not a lot of things in area at night. Food was great, activities were good, and close to a lot of sites (Chichen Iza - spelling?, Underground Cenote which was great to go down the cave and than go swimming in the water). The grounds of the hotel were great...on a very large lot, gardens, etc.

Godreamsvacations sometimes has these 5 Apple Square deals....where you basically sign up for a vacation but you won't know which all-inclusive resort they'll put you in until you arrive at the local airport. They guarantee a 5 Apple rated resort...which is not quite 5 star US standard, but the top tier that they have, We did it once, and got placed in the Dreams Tulum site. We were very pleased with it...and I've been wanting to try a 5 Apple Square deal again.
We chose El Cozumeleno for our honeymoon back in 2001 through Apple vacations. We enjoyed it as it was small and low key. Location was convenient for seeing tulum, xel-ha, and other excursions. Felt like food was hit or miss though. We'd have an amazing grouper for lunch and then a bland dinner.

I wouldn’t recommend Punta Cana as their food sucks. You need something in Mexico, PR or Jamaica.
Though, if on budget and used to Cruise food- PC is pretty much the most budget friendly.
Oh, so I'm not the only person who didn't like the food. But I've assumed it's just the place I picked -- are all resorts there the same? (Or is the resort I went to the only one there?)

Try the Hilton Rose Hall in Jamaica. Great value and nice property for the money. Been there several times and never regretted the decision. Even better it’s a short ride from the airport in Montego Bay.

Reactions: Jm0513
Try the Hilton Rose Hall in Jamaica. Great value and nice property for the money. Been there several times and never regretted the decision. Even better it’s a short ride from the airport in Montego Bay.

I believe yesrutgers01 and his wife are our resident experts visiting various areas of Jamaica but not sure about their experience with all-inclusives there.

I believe yesrutgers01 and his wife are our resident experts visiting various areas of Jamaica but not sure about their experience with all-inclusives there.
lol, I’m an “expert” too. Been there many, many times to various places.. the OP is price focused. That’s why I recommended this place

lol, I’m an “expert” too. Been there many, many times to various places.. the OP is price focused. That’s why I recommended this place
My friends went to Rose Hall as well and loved it.

No slight intended, i was thinking that Mrs. Yesrutgers01 may have been born there and or has family there. Therefore intimate knowledge of areas to visit and areas to stay away from

Oh, so I'm not the only person who didn't like the food. But I've assumed it's just the place I picked -- are all resorts there the same? (Or is the resort I went to the only one there?)
The problem with PC is that they do cater to the budget crowd but food- their native food is very bland.
Obviously, places like Mexico and PR have great native food. And in Jamaica, even if you stay fairly “American” fare, all of their resorts will have a jerk shack or hut on the beach or pool area.

Reactions: Kbee3 and BossNJ
My friends went to Rose Hall as well and loved it.

No slight intended, i was thinking that Mrs. Yesrutgers01 may have been born there and or has family there. Therefore intimate knowledge of areas to visit and areas to stay away from
No worries..

FYI, My wife was born there too.

Safety can be somewhat of a concern there, as evidenced by the recent statements by the State Department. Thats why I suggested to stay close to the airport. 1) Jamaican drivers are crazy. 2) Recommend not to drive too far into the country..

In reality, if you stay on the resort you’ll be fine..

Negril is our go-to place in Jamaica. Never had a problem, although we mostly stay on resort property. A seven-mile beach and a special vibe that we've never found anywhere else. We only stay at adults-only resorts though....Couples Negril is our favorite.

Negril is our go-to place in Jamaica. Never had a problem, although we mostly stay on resort property. A seven-mile beach and a special vibe that we've never found anywhere else. We only stay at adults-only resorts though....Couples Negril is our favorite.
I did Negril on my first trip to Jamaica. Took my two sons- they were 10 and 12 at the time. Interesting enough, I had only met my current wife a couple of months previous and had planned this trip for quite a while before meeting her.
It was a great trip- think we stayed at Beaches, which as a family resort. Ride from the Airport was a bear. Negril may actually be a little less expensive the the resorts over on Ocho Rios and Runaway Bay.

With Jackie- we have been back 3 times. Stayed in Runaway Bay once- unfortunately, it was for her brother's funeral and had to make last minute plans and the only place with a room was Hedonism. We aren't prudes so, what the hell. We booked the optional side. Lot's of funny stories on that trip even if there for a bad reason. Interesting enough, a few year later, this and the adjoining resort which used to known as Runaway Beach Resort became Jewels. When it was Runaway Beach Resort in the 70's, my wife was living on the resort with her Dad who used to own and run an onsite Canteen for the locals and workers. Small little restaurant maybe 500 Sq feet...but the "stars" who used to visit the resort would go to his place and not any of the places with the regular tourists. So, my wife, then somewhere around 5-8 y/o used to hide under one of the tables- "she thought her Dad didn't see her- and guys like Jimmy Buffet would come in and just eat, drink and jam with the regulars for hours.
She was also like the resort "ambassador" cute little local girl that had full run of the resort and would hang out with guests day and night. She had a little scam with her Dad too- he would hold Crab Races- and would tell Jackie to gather the guests for it and then tell her the slowest crab- of course, her job was to get as many people as possible to believe that was the fastest one and have them bet on it. And then get a cut. lol

Her brother had been living in Brownstown, which was up in the mountains- She had lived there for a while herself. She had me take a local bus with her up there. Scariest ride I ever took. lol But up in those mountains is where you hear the stories of the Rolling Calves and Duppies...and when it gets dark up there- you can see why.
The market up there was incredible and some of the nicest people.

The other times, we stayed in Ocho Rios- this is where she ended up going to High School- at that point living with her Uncle was was the "Mayor" of Ocho Rios- or what ever they call it there.
Used to be a nice area with a great market but the streets are now extremely dangerous there. We took a walk off resort so she could show me around and it started from the moment we walked out the gates- she ran into a couple family and old friends and word got out on who she was...so, we had no other problems- but, if in Jamaica- don't go wondering. Stick to the resorts and the normal tours like Dunns River - Rose Hall- is also interesting with such a haunted history.

If, you were to ever stay at Ocho Rios(We really like Moon Palace) Ask your driver to stop at "The Puddin Man"

Best bread pudding you will ever have and just so cool- they have the pudding cooking next to the road on open pots/fire- coolest traditional thing you will see.

Also- for return to the airport. Get passes to Club Mobay. This gives you a great private lounge and express security passes. Well worth the small amount paid.

Reactions: Kbee3
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT