ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Annual Tiger Woods Comeback Thread

Total sideshow of aging stars. Like old people going to see The Rolling Stones. It matters to them, but it ain’t great.

Total sideshow of aging stars. Like old people going to see The Rolling Stones. It matters to them, but it ain’t great.
Sideshow?? Golf, like all sports is all about entertainment. It would get huge ratings.

So would DJ vs Justin Thomas for $10MM.

Anything Tiger is nostalgia at this point. Which is fine. Old people go see the Stones. There is a market for this stuff. But it ain’t the best band and Phil and Tiger ain’t the best comp.

Reactions: Section124
So would DJ vs Justin Thomas for $10MM.

Anything Tiger is nostalgia at this point. Which is fine. Old people go see the Stones. There is a market for this stuff. But it ain’t the best band and Phil and Tiger ain’t the best comp.
Ha! Not even close. You hatred for Tiger is clouding your mind. Phil and Tiger are still the two biggest draws in golf. Whoever is 3rd isnt even close.

Reactions: Abro1975
But they are not the 2 best golfers. Glory days for both.
Fine, didnt say they were. Like Jack and Arnie they were still the most popular players in the world well past their prime too. It will a ratings hit with numbers bigger than most tour stops.

Fine, didnt say they were. Like Jack and Arnie they were still the most popular players in the world well past their prime too. It will a ratings hit with numbers bigger than most tour stops.
Agreed. Big Jack fan growing up and '86 was awesome. We knew he was past his prime, but still rooted for him to win.

Ha! Not even close. You hatred for Tiger is clouding your mind. Phil and Tiger are still the two biggest draws in golf. Whoever is 3rd isnt even close.

Don’t know and never said they weren’t big draws. Just like the Stones. People love nostalgia, especially the older you get.

There is a senior tour for a reason. They just aren’t the best golfers anymore.

I don’t hate Tiger, though he is bad person. I’m just spitting the truth and am here to collect my money.

If he starts playing a little better and enters more of those very low grade tournaments, I think he can actually win one, as I said.

Don’t know and never said they weren’t big draws. Just like the Stones. People love nostalgia, especially the older you get.

There is a senior tour for a reason.
But you said that JT and DJ would be a huge draw too which is laughable.

They would be. Two people playing checkers for $10MM would be a huge draw.

Have them play for $1 and see how many people are interested.

Although I like a Tiger, I slightly disagree he is marketable. Outside of Nike ( and I never see people wearing TW gear on the course), what are his big endorsements?
I'm surprised he hasn't picked up an endorsement for a condom brand.

Reactions: Caliknight
Remember when Kevin Na shot like an 18 on one hole or when he had the yips and would be yelling at himself because he couldn't pull the trigger off the tee. The guy is a character.

"These are the companies with which Woods is signed:

• Nike Golf, which signed Woods in 1996 and built its golf division around Woods. Nike stopped making golf clubs in 2016, but still outfits Woods in apparel and shoes.
  • TaylorMade Golf, with whom Woods signed with in January 2017. TaylorMade is Woods' replacement for his old Nike golf clubs, although into late 2017 Woods was still playing a variety of clubs.
  • Bridgestone Golf. The company makes a full line of golf clubs, but Woods plays the brand's golf balls and his endorsement deal covers the golf balls only. Woods replaced the ball that Nike Golf stopped making with Bridgestone.
  • Full Swing, a company that makes a range of indoor golf simulators.
  • Kowa, a diversified Japanese company whose pharmaceutical products include a pain medicine for which Woods does television ads that air in Japan.
  • Upper Deck, the sports cards and collectibles company.
  • Hero Motor Group, the India-based motorcycle maker.
  • Monster Energy, makers of the energy drink.

And finally, Woods is a content partner of the PGA Tour, which means that TigerWoods.com and PGATour.com have an agreement to share content between their respective websites."

https://www.thoughtco.com/tiger-woods-endorsements-1566364

I suspect the last one above, in bold, is a biggie.

For 2017, in which he rarely played due to injury:

Woods earned an estimated $37.1 million in 2017, according to The Richest. The majority of those earnings — $37 million of them — came from sponsorships and endorsement deals. In 2016, Woods earned an estimated $45.3 million, and in 2015, he earned approximately $50.6 million, making him the highest paid golfer of all time.

https://heavy.com/sports/2018/03/tiger-woods-net-worth/

They would be. Two people playing checkers for $10MM would be a huge draw.

Have them play for $1 and see how many people are interested.
Cali, your bias toward Tiger has made you make some of the dumbest posts on this topic. The 10mm is to entice the golfers, not the viewers.

"These are the companies with which Woods is signed:

• Nike Golf, which signed Woods in 1996 and built its golf division around Woods. Nike stopped making golf clubs in 2016, but still outfits Woods in apparel and shoes.
  • TaylorMade Golf, with whom Woods signed with in January 2017. TaylorMade is Woods' replacement for his old Nike golf clubs, although into late 2017 Woods was still playing a variety of clubs.
  • Bridgestone Golf. The company makes a full line of golf clubs, but Woods plays the brand's golf balls and his endorsement deal covers the golf balls only. Woods replaced the ball that Nike Golf stopped making with Bridgestone.
  • Full Swing, a company that makes a range of indoor golf simulators.
  • Kowa, a diversified Japanese company whose pharmaceutical products include a pain medicine for which Woods does television ads that air in Japan.
  • Upper Deck, the sports cards and collectibles company.
  • Hero Motor Group, the India-based motorcycle maker.
  • Monster Energy, makers of the energy drink.

And finally, Woods is a content partner of the PGA Tour, which means that TigerWoods.com and PGATour.com have an agreement to share content between their respective websites."

https://www.thoughtco.com/tiger-woods-endorsements-1566364

I suspect the last one above, in bold, is a biggie.

For 2017, in which he rarely played due to injury:

Woods earned an estimated $37.1 million in 2017, according to The Richest. The majority of those earnings — $37 million of them — came from sponsorships and endorsement deals. In 2016, Woods earned an estimated $45.3 million, and in 2015, he earned approximately $50.6 million, making him the highest paid golfer of all time.

https://heavy.com/sports/2018/03/tiger-woods-net-worth/
So as expected, he is trending down. I would assume he starts to pick up more on the course development/design going forward.

So as expected, he is trending down. I would assume he starts to pick up more on the course development/design going forward.

Yeah, he's trending down, he's number 1 or 2 of all golfers getting endorsments even after not playing for 2 years. Heck of a trend, lol. He's a living legend, filthy rich, adored by the other PGA golfers, the one golfer who moves the TV ratings needle like no othr, who even now at the end of his prime, is still capable of winning, just like Phil Mickelson.

Tiger's best chance to win a major this year. Course sets up for him. Can mostly leave driver in the bag. If he has the putting worked out, he will be there on Sunday with a chance.

Cali, your bias toward Tiger has made you make some of the dumbest posts on this topic. The 10mm is to entice the golfers, not the viewers.

Except I have been spot on with Tiger. Side bet on this major. He doesn't finish top 5. Who's in? This thread is getting boring otherwise.

Reactions: Jersey Boys
Yeah, he's trending down, he's number 1 or 2 of all golfers getting endorsments even after not playing for 2 years. Heck of a trend, lol. He's a living legend, filthy rich, adored by the other PGA golfers, the one golfer who moves the TV ratings needle like no othr, who even now at the end of his prime, is still capable of winning, just like Phil Mickelson.

Unfortunately (since I enjoy following both Tiger and Phil) if I were a betting man I say neither win another major.

Except I have been spot on with Tiger. Side bet on this major. He doesn't finish top 5. Who's in? This thread is getting boring otherwise.

This past week Fred Couples said Tiger needed this year to get used to competing again which he said is totally different than just playing well. He predicts '19 will be a big year for him.

Maybe you should make a wager with him? Free round at Sherwood with he, Joe Pesci, and Samuel L Jackson if you're right.

This past week Fred Couples said Tiger needed this year to get used to competing again which he said is totally different than just playing well. He predicts '19 will be a big year for him.

Maybe you should make a wager with him? Free round at Sherwood with he, Joe Pesci, and Samuel L Jackson if you're right.
Sherwood has really fallen off. In fact, my club just stole their head greens keeper.

I am sure it will still be a thing due to it's location outside of LA and those who live out there, but it definitely isn't what it once was considered to be.

At one point I believe they were charging $500K initiation fees, which is just stupid.

Your posts in this thread are like your posts about Trump. You haven't been right about either in a long time. Tiger has done way better than you said he would, as I've demonstrated, via your quotes, earlier in the thread.

Your posts in this thread are like your posts about Trump. You haven't been right about either in a long time. Tiger has done way better than you said he would, as I've demonstrated, via your quotes, earlier in the thread.

Except everything I have said has been spot on. Even missing cuts. Both this and my political views (not sure what they have to do with this) are far more accurate that your weather predictions. So there is that.

And you still won't put your money where your mouth is. #weak.

Except everything I have said has been spot on. Even missing cuts. Both this and my political views (not sure what they have to do with this) are far more accurate that your weather predictions. So there is that.

The fact that you set the line at top 5 means you admit you are wrong. Too funny.

Reactions: RickB113
Or I’m looking at all of the grandiose predictions.

Put your momey where your mouth is. He’s back, right?

Or I’m looking at all of the grandiose predictions.

Put your momey where your mouth is. He’s back, right?
so I'll bet you he makes the cut. Put your money where your mouth is. He's washed up right? See what I did here?

I never said he wouldn't make cuts. I said he'd never win another major. I'm throwing you a life line here or any other other fan boi's.

He won't finish top 5. Tiger used to dominate this event. You guys say he's back. Top 5 is a no brainer. Put your money where your mouth is.

I never said he wouldn't make cuts. I said he'd never win another major. I'm throwing you a life line here or any other other fan boi's.

He won't finish top 5. Tiger used to dominate this event. You guys say he's back. Top 5 is a no brainer. Put your money where your mouth is.
I'm so confident I'll take Tiger to win at 25-1 odds. $20?

Like Trump, you try to weasel your way out of things you're on the record as having said, which is why I compared you to him.

Early in this thread, you said, "A 100% healthy Tiger now won't be able to compete consistently on tour any more."

You also said, "A healthy Tiger is a mid tier golfer now. He will make cuts, but not seriously contend. Certainly not over a 4 day period or season."

He was 1199th in the world rankings before his comeback and he's already up to 67th and if the rankings were done on just the last few months, he'd be in the top 25, with finishes of 23rd, 12th, 2nd, 5th, 32nd, 55th,11th, and 4th (and 3 MC's and one WD) among the 15 tournaments he's played.

Are you retarded enough to still claim that he's not "competing consistently on tour" and that he won't "seriously contended" anymore, despite obviously being highly competitive and having three top-5 finishes in 15 events?

I said he'd absolutely be competitive and eventually be a top 5 golfer again and would likely win another major if he stayed healthy over the next few years. He's competitive, but not Top 5 yet, but he's getting close.

http://www.owgr.com/en/Ranking/PlayerProfile.aspx?playerID=5321

Like Trump, you try to weasel your way out of things you're on the record as having said, which is why I compared you to him.

Early in this thread, you said, "A 100% healthy Tiger now won't be able to compete consistently on tour any more."

You also said, "A healthy Tiger is a mid tier golfer now. He will make cuts, but not seriously contend. Certainly not over a 4 day period or season."

He was 1199th in the world rankings before his comeback and he's already up to 67th and if the rankings were done on just the last few months, he'd be in the top 25, with finishes of 23rd, 12th, 2nd, 5th, 32nd, 55th,11th, and 4th (and 3 MC's and one WD) among the 15 tournaments he's played.

Are you retarded enough to still claim that he's not "competing consistently on tour" and that he won't "seriously contended" anymore, despite obviously being highly competitive and having three top-5 finishes in 15 events?

I said he'd absolutely be competitive and eventually be a top 5 golfer again and would likely win another major if he stayed healthy over the next few years. He's competitive, but not Top 5 yet, but he's getting close.

http://www.owgr.com/en/Ranking/PlayerProfile.aspx?playerID=5321
Like Obama you have a lying, revisionist history. He’s competitive...when the alphas aren’t playing.

Take my bet then. I dare you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT