ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Annual Tiger Woods Comeback Thread

I did. Spieth wasn't on tour when Tiger was dominating. Both are true.

Looks like he had a decent day. Also heard that after his round with the president, someone asked him how he felt and tiger said something like he is so painfree that he is learning his body. If that is what he is doing, i would think that that would take some time.

If he can keep this up for a few tournaments, watchout. My guess is that his true aim is augusta in April.

Last edited:
I'll say this. It's a pretty solid field. If Tiger even finishes top 10 I would consider that a nice win for him.

Reactions: jtung230
Take it easy. While Tiger played well today, your comment about playing the player of the year to a dead heat after 18 holes means next to nothing.

After 72 holes I’ll be more accepting of that statement. Lets watch the next 3 rounds and see what happens.

Just like that he’s back in your mind ? Fake news from a Tiger fanatic.

Lol. Did you not see the putter all day? The pain free, flowing swing? The 320 off the tee? You don't know golf. Trust me, he's still rusty still but he's definitely back. The issue is how will the back hold up. If he can do this, he's going to win multiple times this year.

I have seen numerous posters tell others now "you don't know golf".

New rule. Anyone who says that needs to post their current index.

both. but I meant Jordan of basketball.

remember, they used to bet who would win a tournament...the entire field...or Tiger.

that dominance was unprecedented.

Don't know man. Don't know how you can compare the two like that. In my book, they were the two bests in my lifetime.

Forget which tournament it was. Tiger was in the trees. 95% of players would have punched it out to the fairway to the left and go for the green. Tiger pulled out a 6 iron and landed it on green. Think it was like 200 or 220 yards hit. He was on another level. After the round he was answerong some questions and of course someone asked him about that hole. Think he said something like he imagined a shot and there was a couple inches of window between tree limbs about 40-50 yards away to make it work and he decided to squeeze it in there. That was crazy.

In one of the finals, i forget which, bulls vs. Knicks, the bulls were down by more than 10 pts with like a minute left? Jordan single handedly made some crazy shots to beat the knicks. That was crazy.

I'd say anyone making that definitive statement doesn't know anything about golf.

And he's tied for 6 right now, not 5.
Cali - c'mon, this isn't the CE board where people try to make childish points. If you think I thought "top 5 in the world" meant "top 5 in one round of one tournament" then you're even dumber than you portray yourself on that board. I meant top 5, overall, for a decent time period, like the next year or so and we're not going to know if him being 100% healthy is even possible for a few months. So, let's revisit this in a few months.

Last edited:
Clarify next time.

You are right, we don't know. We will. I really hope he remains healthy so this question gets determined one way or the other.

He is not saying it is his age. He is saying he has a mental block from when he had the yips.

I'll say this. It's a pretty solid field. If Tiger even finishes top 10 I would consider that a nice win for him.
Top 10 in a real PGA Tour event would be impressive. Top 10 in an 18 player field not so much

Nope. First thing to go at age- short game.
It's the last thing to go. Old guys are famous for getting up and down and taking younger guys money on the course who it it longer and better.

Chipping off wet, into the grain, tightly cut Bermuda, to elevated greens is about as difficult as it gets. I remember when he lost the plot in 2015, chunking everything in that sad display in Arizona and San Diego...came back to Augusta in April and chipped flawlessly the whole week. Not worried about the chipping. He needs to work on his short game....no doubt. But he figured it out from a much worse place than he was yesterday, he'll do it again.

He's not winning this week but what you needed to see to say, "he's back," we've seen. Remember, only a month or so ago the consensus was that if he did come back, it would be a limited motion swing that would force him into a short hitting, different kind of game. What we saw was a free, flowing, athletic, healthy swing that enables him to hit it almost as far as anyone. Put the putter on top of that, and it's just a matter of practice and time.

Hank Haney, in his book, said he would practically beg Tiger to work on his putter more. Tiger preferred to sit on the range and flight iron shots at different trajectories and shot shapes, for hours. That when he finally listened and put most of the focus on the putter, he went around the British Open that year without a three putt, despite the 90 feet and more putts required over there and won going away. The young guys who he's been hanging and practicing with do not cheat the putting practice. His putting yesterday was just phenomenal, except on a couple of lags. Shows the putting contests vs. JT and Ricky and all the talk and chatter about it with them, has him focused on it which in the end, if you can putt like he did yesterday, you're going to win tournaments.

Yesterday was very un-Tiger like. While he made the right quotes after about being happy with his round, you could tell he was lying. He was pissed. Being dominant like he was, is as much about sheer talent as it is about the grind, not making the sorts of mistakes he made at times yesterday that cost shots. There has never been anyone as good at him at grinding, as evidenced by that stat of him closing out 96% of the tournaments where he had the third round lead. You go out and don't make mistakes and you win. Many of the people who hate him feel that way because of how unhappy he looks when he plays. But that's the will, the determination that separates him.

His game isn't super sharp, but its very close. If he stays healthy, it's going to be an epic year. An older Tiger vs. the stable of talented young guns. We've waited years for it to come together, just hoping his health holds up.

Reactions: Knightmoves
It's the last thing to go. Old guys are famous for getting up and down and taking younger guys money on the course who it it longer and better.

Chipping off wet, into the grain, tightly cut Bermuda, to elevated greens is about as difficult as it gets. I remember when he lost the plot in 2015, chunking everything in that sad display in Arizona and San Diego...came back to Augusta in April and chipped flawlessly the whole week. Not worried about the chipping. He needs to work on his short game....no doubt. But he figured it out from a much worse place than he was yesterday, he'll do it again.

He's not winning this week but what you needed to see to say, "he's back," we've seen. Remember, only a month or so ago the consensus was that if he did come back, it would be a limited motion swing that would force him into a short hitting, different kind of game. What we saw was a free, flowing, athletic, healthy swing that enables him to hit it almost as far as anyone. Put the putter on top of that, and it's just a matter of practice and time.

Hank Haney, in his book, said he would practically beg Tiger to work on his putter more. Tiger preferred to sit on the range and flight iron shots at different trajectories and shot shapes, for hours. That when he finally listened and put most of the focus on the putter, he went around the British Open that year without a three putt, despite the 90 feet and more putts required over there and won going away. The young guys who he's been hanging and practicing with do not cheat the putting practice. His putting yesterday was just phenomenal, except on a couple of lags. Shows the putting contests vs. JT and Ricky and all the talk and chatter about it with them, has him focused on it which in the end, if you can putt like he did yesterday, you're going to win tournaments.

Yesterday was very un-Tiger like. While he made the right quotes after about being happy with his round, you could tell he was lying. He was pissed. Being dominant like he was, is as much about sheer talent as it is about the grind, not making the sorts of mistakes he made at times yesterday that cost shots. There has never been anyone as good at him at grinding, as evidenced by that stat of him closing out 96% of the tournaments where he had the third round lead. You go out and don't make mistakes and you win. Many of the people who hate him feel that way because of how unhappy he looks when he plays. But that's the will, the determination that separates him.

His game isn't super sharp, but its very close. If he stays healthy, it's going to be an epic year. An older Tiger vs. the stable of talented young guns. We've waited years for it to come together, just hoping his health holds up.

That’s not true. It’s a scientific fact you lose touch receptors as you age. Tiger’s have been declining for more than 20 years, far removed from what they were. Touch is a big part of the short game. It might be the yips for Tiger but his short game will never be what it was when he was younger. Even without the yips. It’s age.

That’s not true. It’s a scientific fact you lose touch receptors as you age. Tiger’s have been declining for more than 20 years, far removed from what they were. Touch is a big part of the short game. It might be the yips for Tiger but his short game will never be what it was when he was younger. Even without the yips. It’s age.
He's tied for the lead. Putting on a stripe show out there. You started saying he might make a few cuts but the game passed hi by. He hit it 330 off the first tee. Admit you were completely wrong!

Let's see what happens. We will know a lot more at the end of this "tournament" and more importantly, the results after a real tournament.

Let's see what happens. We will know a lot more at the end of this "tournament" and more importantly, the results after a real tournament.

Don’t even bother with logic. The Tiger fans were sold on his comeback after his first tee shot yesterday.

Time will tell, but Tiger fans cannot wait. Must have been hell for them the past few years from the sidelines.

PS- Just saw Tiger eagle the long par 5 ninth hole. I may want to walk back my previous comments doubting him. Spectacular shot making the past two days. The ability is still there. Only question is if he hold up physically over the season. Couldn’t be a better start to the season.

Last edited:
Don’t even bother with logic. The Tiger fans were sold on his comeback after his first tee shot yesterday.

Time will tell, but Tiger fans cannot wait. Must have been hell for them the past few years from the sidelines.

PS- Just saw Tiger eagle the long par 5 ninth hole. I may want to walk back my previous comments doubting him. Spectacular shot making the past two days. The ability is still there. Only question is if he hold up physically over the season. Couldn’t be a better start to the season.
At least you admit you're wrong. You're friend Cali still has to own up to it.

To be honest, I was wrong too. Never expected his game to be this good.

BTW, the sand shot save on seven and the up and down from a tight lie on eight is killing the short game yips, nonsense.

No matter what happens from here on out this week he has shown the game is still there. Just will need to stay healthy to keep fine tuning for the masters. I'm so excited.

SIAP. Tiger is wearing Niki apparel today, hat and shirt. Does he have a new contract with them?

SIAP. Tiger is wearing Niki apparel today, hat and shirt. Does he have a new contract with them?
He never lost it. Nike stopped making golf equipment but not golf apparel. Jason Day, Rory, Tiger and others still wear the clothing but play their choice of clubs.

Reactions: PaKnight
And if his aunt had balls...

Nice round for him, but what is obvious is obvious. A Tiger competing at top form isn't blowing away anyone now.
You have to give me some credit for this. Playing the Par 5s like his old days and he is leading.

IF Tiger is healthy going into Masters weekend, they will have record TV ratings there. Long ways too go however, physically, mentally, emotionally and who knows what else.

At least you admit you're wrong. You're friend Cali still has to own up to it.

To be honest, I was wrong too. Never expected his game to be this good.

BTW, the sand shot save on seven and the up and down from a tight lie on eight is killing the short game yips, nonsense.

To me there are two points. A small minority of folks, like Cali, classof02, RU82, etc., said he'd essentially never be competitive again, even if healthy. I think 2 rounds have shown that a healthy Tiger is still a very competitive player, as you and I and many others expected.

The second point, which I'd caution you and many others on, who are already fitting Tiger's new shape into the next green jacket, is that two rounds or even a couple of good tournaments doesn't mean he's "back" to the Tiger of old.

His long term health will probably now be in question for the rest of his life, plus we don't know if his game is 100% ready for the mental and physical rigors of major golf.

So while I think a healthy Tiger will be a top 5, overall, golfer again and will win at least a couple more majors, the jury is out on that until he does it and it's simply going to take 6+ months to see if he's headed there or not. I'm pretty neutral on Tiger (I'm a Phil fan and also like Spieth), but tournaments with a top 5 Tiger are simply more fun to watch.

He isn't leading. He is tied for 3rd right now with half the field.

I will give him some cred though. He looks healthy, which is a far cry from where he was. He is good for golf, but he isn't the Tiger of old. This tournament is exhibit A. A healthy Tiger in his prime would run away from the field, right?

Not one of these guys is afraid of him any more. Just like it should be.

One of Tiger's weapons was always that he knew how to play the game strategically and tactically better than almost anyone else (Arnie, Jack, etc.). Looks like he still does that as well as anyone else. He also seems to still have the mental edge.

Everyone who says the only question is his physical durability is absolutely right. It would be hard to believe he can stay as healthy as he has looked the last two days for a whole season. Then again, he never played a lot of tournaments anyway. Also he has had the benefit of resting his body from the tour grind for what amounts to a few years because of all his injuries.

IF Tiger is healthy going into Masters weekend, they will have record TV ratings there. Long ways too go however, physically, mentally, emotionally and who knows what else.

Just think about the selling price of Masters tix this year if a healthy Tiger is playing well going into the tournament. Off the charts.

One thing is for sure. This course is not challenging at all for these guys.

I was a little concerned after his 2nd shot on 18th. He made a few tweaks to his neck/back. But the approach was solid. I really thought he would take it easy but he is swinging out of his shoes. Hope it lasts because it is fun to watch. If he wants to win, must do better with the flat stick.

One of Tiger's weapons was always that he knew how to play the game strategically and tactically better than almost anyone else (Arnie, Jack, etc.). Looks like he still does that as well as anyone else. He also seems to still have the mental edge.

Everyone who says the only question is his physical durability is absolutely right. It would be hard to believe he can stay as healthy as he has looked the last two days for a whole season. Then again, he never played a lot of tournaments anyway. Also he has had the benefit of resting his body from the tour grind for what amounts to a few years because of all his injuries.

Is it really strategy and tactics or does his ability allow him more options to consider?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT