ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Annual Tiger Woods Comeback Thread

Well we'll really know that Tiger's back if he starts nailing some tail.

Taking advantage of all his options? Isn't that strategy or tactics?
What I'm saying is he had more options because he out hit so many courses when he was the first guy to hit 330+ off the tee. Plus he could hit other clubs so far he had more options than most. Maybe we're arguing the same thing here.

Like is is for most older guys. Freddie Couples can compete for a round, but over the long haul, with a full field, it is going to be trouble for Tiger.

A healthy Tiger will look like he belongs, but it isn't 2006 any more. Or even 2013. Way too many good golfers now for Tiger to ever have the success he once did.

You can see his age in his short game today. Compared with a guy like Jordan. Far different levels of play.

Like is is for most older guys. Freddie Couples can compete for a round, but over the long haul, with a full field, it is going to be trouble for Tiger.

A healthy Tiger will look like he belongs, but it isn't 2006 any more. Or even 2013. Way too many good golfers now for Tiger to ever have the success he once did.

You can see his age in his short game today. Compared with a guy like Jordan. Far different levels of play.
Because he is having a bad day in extremely tough conditions it has to be his age? He hasn’t played great but he has also just been slightly off. Nothing crazy. Lots of bad scores out there. DJ finished four over. Let’s see where Tiger is by the masters. I’m betting he will be right there with the best.

History says that. Meanwhile you had people declaring him a player after the first round of a country club course in a truncated field that is his tournament.

Yes, let's see what happens. As I said, if he finishes in the top 10 in this small tournament and is healthy, I would consider that a win for him.

Him being the Tiger of old and dominating majors? Never happening again. And that's perfectly fine. Incredible golf out there across the board now.

I don’t think anyone thinks he will dominate majors again. I think he can win another couple majors and be a top 5ish player.

It was almost too good to be true. That long of a layoff plus 2 back surgeries. I like to see how he bounces back tomorrow. A good mental test for him.

I don’t think anyone thinks he will dominate majors again. I think he can win another couple majors and be a top 5ish player.
I don’t think he’ll win a major and gun to my head, I doubt he’ll ever win a tourney either. Same with Phil. Too many young guns.

Reactions: Knightmoves
History says that. Meanwhile you had people declaring him a player after the first round of a country club course in a truncated field that is his tournament.

Yes, let's see what happens. As I said, if he finishes in the top 10 in this small tournament and is healthy, I would consider that a win for him.

Him being the Tiger of old and dominating majors? Never happening again. And that's perfectly fine. Incredible golf out there across the board now.
Among the many things you've been wrong about in this thread is calling this a country club course. The wind blew today and 80% of the field couldn't break par. The leader is at -14. 16 or 17 will win the tournament if Hoffman holds up. Otherwise it will be below 14 under. Speith won at Pebble last year, 21 under par. The guy who won last week was 21 under par. Koepka won the US Open with 16 under par...this course is not a "resort course." It's a PGA regulation golf course.

Tiger fought back nicely after the terrible start. He's proven that he's healthy, he can still plow the ball and he can still putt the heck out of the ball. Beyond that, who knows? Can he practice intensely? Will he? We'll see...

Reactions: Knightmoves
Nothing wrong with that now. He’s a single man.

Looking forward to a great finish today. Hope the wind keeps blowing and Speith gives Hoffman a run for his money. Also like to see Tiger finish strong.

Tiger just drove the 336 yard Par 4 7th. Piped his drive to pin high. Curled in his eagle putt. Put broke about 6/7 feet

When he is on, for sure.
Every pga tour players when they are “on” put like Tiger. They posted his stats from last year and they were terrible. The only thing he is good at are puts over 20 feet. It’s literraly not even an argument.

Among the many things you've been wrong about in this thread is calling this a country club course. The wind blew today and 80% of the field couldn't break par. The leader is at -14. 16 or 17 will win the tournament if Hoffman holds up. Otherwise it will be below 14 under. Speith won at Pebble last year, 21 under par. The guy who won last week was 21 under par. Koepka won the US Open with 16 under par...this course is not a "resort course." It's a PGA regulation golf course.

Tiger fought back nicely after the terrible start. He's proven that he's healthy, he can still plow the ball and he can still putt the heck out of the ball. Beyond that, who knows? Can he practice intensely? Will he? We'll see...

-18. Country club course in a truncated field. Tiger showed himself well, but this is what happens at his age. Tough to put 4 days together. He will compete, will probably win a smaller tournament. He will never win another major. And I will take al bets on that.

-18. Country club course in a truncated field. Tiger showed himself well, but this is what happens at his age. Tough to put 4 days together. He will compete, will probably win a smaller tournament. He will never win another major. And I will take al bets on that.
You said at the start of the week, he would struggle to make cuts. Now, you're saying you'll take best he won't win another major. I'll take that as you saying you underestimated him. I think he will win another major. $100, bets on!

Fowler shot 61, six shots better than the best in the field, today, four shots clear of Hoffman who had the other low round and six shots clear of third place at -12. I thought the course looked far from a resort course. Tee to green, it was hard. The short game shots were consistently brutal. Plenty of movement in the fairways and waste areas...the greens were relative flat and easy which accounts for all the birdies.
Shame Fowler wasted that round on holiday/fun sort of tournament.

You said at the start of the week, he would struggle to make cuts. Now, you're saying you'll take best he won't win another major. I'll take that as you saying you underestimated him. I think he will win another major. $100, bets on!

Fowler shot 61, six shots better than the best in the field, today, four shots clear of Hoffman who had the other low round and six shots clear of third place at -12. I thought the course looked far from a resort course. Tee to green, it was hard. The short game shots were consistently brutal. Plenty of movement in the fairways and waste areas...the greens were relative flat and easy which accounts for all the birdies.
Shame Fowler wasted that round on holiday/fun sort of tournament.
I said him healthy will make cuts. He will likely win some small tourney, which this wasn’t even. Too old, too many good golfers. His time has come and gone. It was a great run. He is a nice addition to the field. Gets people talking about golf a little more, and no one wants to see people go out injured.

$100 it is.

Please stop.
Stop what? I actually thought he was a comparable putter before I started looking at the stats. He is at the bottom in puts between ten and twenty feet. He also misses a bad amount of under three footers. He is good at puts over 20 feet which I think give people the illusion he is a great putter. He is far from it. What is your response to that?

Stop what? I actually thought he was a comparable putter before I started looking at the stats. He is at the bottom in puts between ten and twenty feet. He also misses a bad amount of under three footers. He is good at puts over 20 feet which I think give people the illusion he is a great putter. He is far from it. What is your response to that?

Rick,

True that Speith is good on putts over 20 ft. Isn’t that a great putter and what made Tiger a great putter during his time ?

In a putting contest I’ll take Speith over Tiger. I also like his tee to green game better.

I hope that Tiger is a factor on the tour in 2018. But I know that Speith will be better.

But I could be wrong.

Rick,

True that Speith is good on putts over 20 ft. Isn’t that a great putter and what made Tiger a great putter during his time ?

In a putting contest I’ll take Speith over Tiger. I also like his tee to green game better.

I hope that Tiger is a factor on the tour in 2018. But I know that Speith will be better.

But I could be wrong.
Ummmm. No. A great putter makes the key ten foot puts and never misses a 3 footer. And Tiger was also good over 20 feet. Tiger is he greatest putter of all time.

Are you saying you would take Spieths tee to green game over Tigers in his prime or Tigers now? If you saying Tigers game now then there is an argument

The course is designed with the wind factored in (the Open style). We saw the course push back on Saturday. But w/o the wind, it’s defenseless against today’s player/equipment.

I’m excited for golf. Hope to see great competition in 2019.

If Tiger stays healthy he'll win tournaments. He's hitting the ball a long way and his irons look good. Once he cleans up his short game, he'll compete. Vijay Singh won 22 times after age 40, and he had to compete against a young Tiger who is 13 years his junior.

Teeing it up tomorrow at 1:45 with Patrick Reed and Charlie Hoffman, two top tier pros. We all should find out pretty quickly where his game is at.

You saw this weekend with Rory McElroy, how tuned a guy can get his game without tournament play. So, I don't want to hear any excuses about not having played in a tournament in a long time. Woods has been grinding at it. I see a top twenty finish, hoping for better.

Predictions?

One year ago he missed the cut and went to have another back surgery. This will be his first full field event since, one complete year without playing on the Tour. Even though this is a tournament he likes, going a full year is tough to expect making the cut. Had a few wayward drives, some bad chips around the green but was putting like crazy yesterday in a 9 hole practice round.

Other interesting tidbits. John Rahm, defending champ at Torrey Pines can become #1 golfer in the world just one year after his first professional win!! That's crazy!

The next Tiger, #1 Amateur in the world, Chile's Joaquin Niemann won the Latin America Amateur title yesterday by 5 strokes. He earned a spot at this year's Masters. He was planning on turning pro after this week but the invitation to the Masters is only open if he stays an amateur. He is believed to now wait until after.

Tiger likes Torrey Pines and has won there.

I believe that he makes the cut but tees off early on Sunday.

It will take time for him to compete at the top IMO. Hope he stays healthy.

Tiger likes Torrey Pines and has won there.

I believe that he makes the cut but tees off early on Sunday.

It will take time for him to compete at the top IMO. Hope he stays healthy.
He will never compete at the top at again until the Champions Tour. A sporadic solid 4 days possible not a given.

I payed Torrey Pines for like $20. Best bargain in golf.
Hitting a bucket of balls off the driving range there isn't "playing" the course [banana]

Current fees are $63 residents/ $202 non weekday. Truly a great bargain for a course like that.

Hitting a bucket of balls off the driving range there isn't "playing" the course [banana]

Current fees are $63 residents/ $202 non weekday. Truly a great bargain for a course like that.

I seriously played that course for like $18 maybe 20 years ago. I'm not kidding. Unless I am seriously mis-remembering. But I remember being amazed I could play a PGA tour course for about the cost of a county course in NJ.

BTW I hit a great drive on 18 to the skinny fairway between the traps. But I layed up on the second shot because I didn't want to risk the pond in front. Chipped close-ish and missed a birdie putt. So there! LOL.

Reactions: WhiteBus
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT