ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Any Premier league fans on the board?

Reppin_Jerz

Sophomore
Feb 9, 2016
Who else spends their early Saturday mornings...sans college game day...watching the popular sport across the pond? Makes for a decent substitute while in the college football offseason. I don't have a favorite team, but love rooting for the underdogs so I'm a Leicester city bandwagon follower this year...next year I feel the need to pick a team (not one of the Manchester teams) and I really enjoy watching the Arsenal style of play...just wondering who else his board follows and if there are any other big soccer fans here from RUNation.

I've become addicted to my Premier League fantasy team! Nothing better than waking up at 7:30 with a cup of coffee and a live game to watch. Leicester is a great story this year, almost have to root for them.

Reactions: RUinCANADA
I've become addicted to my Premier League fantasy team! Nothing better than waking up at 7:30 with a cup of coffee and a live game to watch. Leicester is a great story this year, almost have to root for them.
I think that's a great idea, need to find myself a premier league fantasy league...would make it much more fun to follow some of the teams not on the NBCSN...stuck watching either CP and Norwich or Southhampton-Newcastle which I have no interest in either, unless i had a fantasy team...guess i could flip on the reply of champions league Wolfsburg-Real but we already know Real loses.

Reactions: Bamm Bamm Rubble
Chelsea fan for the last ten years here. If you're going to pick a team to follow and not get too invested, do the smart thing, and follow Arsenal. Most enjoyable style of play to watch. Had I not had someone else "bring me up" Chelsea that would have been my choice. But I watch all the game (two flat screens dual-mounted in my living room and my laptop streamed to a monitor) every morning.

Side note: I actually love fall because I don't leave the couch from the 7:45AM EPL kick-off till the prime-time CFB ends. Gets me to the 12:00PM kick-offs quite easily. Of course, if Rutgers has a home game, I'm in yellow lot in the morning, and try to watch the game on our TV setup, but I'm usually over ruled once the majority of our tailgate crew rolls in.

There is a group of guys who do a nice tailgate in Scarlet lo with a big tent who watch premier league in the morning.

I travel to London a few times a year for work (we have our corporate headquarters overlooking London Tower Bridge) so I'm hoping to catch my first premier league game next fall, would be helpful to pick a team that plays in London so that's a good recommendation and one I've been leaning towards. Though I have enjoyed watching West Ham recently which is also a London team

Reactions: famousbill19
I watch at least some of the action on the weekends, although less on Sunday, since we play 2 hours of soccer every Sunday morning. Love the Leicester City story - simply amazing to see them go from the Championship level (level below the Premier League) to the Premier League last year, avoiding relegation late last season with an amazing run, and then having such an astonishing season, this year, with them now being heavy favorites to win the Premier League championship. Unprecedented in the modern era. Great match today between West Ham and Arsenal, ending in a 3-3 draw.

Reactions: Reppin_Jerz
I watch at least some of the action on the weekends, although less on Sunday, since we play 2 hours of soccer every Sunday morning. Love the Leicester City story - simply amazing to see them go from the Championship level (level below the Premier League) to the Premier League last year, avoiding relegation late last season with an amazing run, and then having such an astonishing season, this year, with them now being heavy favorites to win the Premier League championship. Unprecedented in the modern era. Great match today between West Ham and Arsenal, ending in a 3-3 draw.
Agreed fun match to watch between West Ham and Arsenal, was considering using that as my tie breaker with whom to root for going into next season, alas a tie doesn't help...I'm also in a "club" that plays soccer Saturday mornings in Morris County from April through October...any other players on the board?

Loving soccer these days. Having a hard time picking a team. Tried to say I was going to root for Arsenal this season, but it didn't work. I just can't get passionate about a particular team. I tend to follow and root for any team in Europe that has a US player on it. Loving Dortmund lately because of Pulisic. Chelsea if they continue to play Miazga. Read an article the Zalelem may be getting a shot at Arsenal next season even though he is having a tough year with Rangers. Hoping Green gets picked up by AC Milan. Non American players I have always liked, Fernando Torres, Robben, Hazzard. I root for players more than teams.

Tottenham fan here. Love to watch Harry Kane do his magic.

I also watch the top Spanish, German, and Italian league teams. Love Barco and Bayern Munich.

But I have no interest in basketball, baseball, or hockey. So I have time for European soccer.

I also watch the top Spanish, German, and Italian league teams. Love Barco and Bayern Munich.

But I have no interest in basketball, baseball, or hockey. So I have time for European soccer.
I don't root for any particular team, apart from Leicester this year, but I love watching certain players like Kane, Messi, Ronaldo, Robben, Vardy, DeGea (I play keeper and love watching him), etc. In his prime, Drogba was my favorite player, which had me rooting mildly for Chelsea.

I think that's a great idea, need to find myself a premier league fantasy league...would make it much more fun to follow some of the teams not on the NBCSN...stuck watching either CP and Norwich or Southhampton-Newcastle which I have no interest in either, unless i had a fantasy team...guess i could flip on the reply of champions league Wolfsburg-Real but we already know Real loses.
Premier League website has free leagues, just to get started. There are a bunch of leagues you can just jump in. We've got one full of college coaches.

Loving soccer these days. Having a hard time picking a team. Tried to say I was going to root for Arsenal this season, but it didn't work. I just can't get passionate about a particular team. I tend to follow and root for any team in Europe that has a US player on it. Loving Dortmund lately because of Pulisic. Chelsea if they continue to play Miazga. Read an article the Zalelem may be getting a shot at Arsenal next season even though he is having a tough year with Rangers. Hoping Green gets picked up by AC Milan. Non American players I have always liked, Fernando Torres, Robben, Hazzard. I root for players more than teams.
Is Miazga the young kid from jersey that was in the red bulls youth system?

This mornings game was entertaining. Love watching Payet play for West Ham. If you are looking for a team to root for, consider Spurs. Young, Kane's work ethic is phenomenal, Alli has given them some more speed to go with Ericksen's creativity. If they stay together they should be near the top 4 the next couple years.

I'd watch more La Liga if they could
Cut a deal with a channel and shown on Comcast...love watching the technical
Passing of Barca...that's the only European football stadium I've personally been to, though it was during a break for international play, but toured the pitch and the museum for three hours

This mornings game was entertaining. Love watching Payet play for West Ham. If you are looking for a team to root for, consider Spurs. Young, Kane's work ethic is phenomenal, Alli has given them some more speed to go with Ericksen's creativity. If they stay together they should be near the top 4 the next couple years.
Another London team correct?

Come on you Spurs!!! I've been watching for a few years now , great to see the popularity increasing.

Love international play , US and Portugal

I'm sure I'll find some agreement here, as much as I like going to RedBulls games to congregate with other soccer fans, I just can't get myself to watch MLS games on tv, the style of the game and the overall skill and talent is just not nearly on par with even this Southhampton-Newcastle game I'm watching right now...anyone else feel that way?

My 14 year old son is a soccer fanatic, so I've been watching this year for the first time. Jumped hard on the LC bandwagon, but because of my son, our favorite team is PSG and favorite player is Zlatan. We have to settle for Champions League games midweek to see them play.

My 14 year old son is a soccer fanatic, so I've been watching this year for the first time. Jumped hard on the LC bandwagon, but because of my son, our favorite team is PSG and favorite player is Zlatan. We have to settle for Champions League games midweek to see them play.
One of my good friends took her son to Paris last week for spring break just to see Ibrahimovic and PSG play...though since they are also in the champions league they were worried he wouldn't play since they've already wrapped up the league championship I believe...turns out he played and scored I think.

Reactions: CranfordKnight
I'm sure I'll find some agreement here, as much as I like going to RedBulls games to congregate with other soccer fans, I just can't get myself to watch MLS games on tv, the style of the game and the overall skill and talent is just not nearly on par with even this Southhampton-Newcastle game I'm watching right now...anyone else feel that way?
I say that a lot, and i feel bad for it. I'll watch almost any soccer (played in college), but MLS is almost non existent in my watching. I want to watch more US born players - just haven't found it as interesting. Maybe i'll need to start an MLS fantasy league and force myself to be drawn in!

Premier League website has free leagues, just to get started. There are a bunch of leagues you can just jump in. We've got one full of college coaches.

Not to brag but I'm currently 200th in the US for the year in premier league fantasy on ESPN and 9th in the US since Boxing Day. :)

Reactions: lighty
I say that a lot, and i feel bad for it. I'll watch almost any soccer (played in college), but MLS is almost non existent in my watching. I want to watch more US born players - just haven't found it as interesting. Maybe i'll need to start an MLS fantasy league and force myself to be drawn in!

I watch MLS regularly. Stick to the game of the week on Fox Sports 1 sunday night and you'll begin to enjoy more and it'll lend you to watch more at other times. 7PM FS1. 5PM FS1 as well I think.

Having a consistent TV schedule is helping the league.

Not to brag but I'm currently 200th in the US for the year in premier league fantasy on ESPN and 9th in the US since Boxing Day. :)
I'd brag! I just moved into first place in our 35 person league last week, but only sit in 2155th place in the US.

I watch MLS regularly. Stick to the game of the week on Fox Sports 1 sunday night and you'll begin to enjoy more and it'll lend you to watch more at other times. 7PM FS1. 5PM FS1 as well I think.

Having a consistent TV schedule is helping the league.
I'll make it a point to try it.

I was getting pretty obsessed with Premier League until I watched some La Liga games. I think the quality is much better than BPL. I also like the more wide open style of play. Plus they have Messi. I also like the Bundesliga - Bayern-Munich is fantastic.

Reactions: lighty
MLS is painful to watch, unfortunately it's the face of soccer in this country. no MLS team could get out of the Championship league

I was getting pretty obsessed with Premier League until I watched some La Liga games. I think the quality is much better than BPL. I also like the more wide open style of play. Plus they have Messi. I also like the Bundesliga - Bayern-Munich is fantastic.
I think the top teams in those leagues may be better, but i think the depth in the Premier League is better. All fantastic watches..

I've tried the soccer thing...as a Latino I feel I should be more into it...maybe im old and too American?

I did attend an FC Barcelona-Real Madrid game in Camp Neu in BCN...it was fun but from the perspective of being in the middle of 100k insane people! Violent fans!!

I travel to London a few times a year for work (we have our corporate headquarters overlooking London Tower Bridge) so I'm hoping to catch my first premier league game next fall, would be helpful to pick a team that plays in London so that's a good recommendation and one I've been leaning towards. Though I have enjoyed watching West Ham recently which is also a London team

Just got back from London several weeks back and attended a Chelsea match. Seems to be the most conveniently located of the London teams. The area around Stanford Bridge is very nice for lunch before the game. Went with my wife and daughter and we had a great time. I'd recommend a Chelsea game very highly.

Rooting for Leicester and Bournemouth.

MLS is horrible. I will also add that Serie A games are also tough to watch.

The only reason i disagree with this is because I feel the BPL is more competitive, there are legit 6-8 teams that contend for the top spots, at least recently, the other "power" European conferences are more like the B1G in football, the same 2 or 3 teams seem to win every year. Now I realize only a handful of teams have won the BPL in the last 20 years but at least there seems to be more parity recently, the PSG, Bayern and Barca/Real seem to dominate their leagues and to some extent Juventus

Reactions: ColonelRutgers

It is that way - MLS has improved, but the level of play isn't even close. I doubt any MLS team would be above the middle of the Championship League. I'll watch a few MLS games with top (if over the hill) players and I pull for the Red Bulls, being the local team, but I'll always watch a Euorpean league game over an MLS game.

As someone else said, I think the top couple of teams in La Liga and the Bundesliga are probably a little ahead of the top teams in the English league, but I agree that none of the other leagues has the quality depth that the Premier League does. Most of the time a match between a bottom team and a top team is still close.

Reactions: famousbill19
Aresenal fan by random chance. I've been banging my head against the wall all season long. Plenty of early Saturday and/or Sunday mornings, as well as Tues/Weds afternoons, at Mulligan's in Hoboken!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT