ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Anyone ever use a service like “A Place for Mom” for getting someone into assisted living?

RULoyal

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jul 28, 2001
As I understand it, these services do not cost anything but rather are paid by the facilities where they place people. I also believe an elder care lawyer can do the same thing but they charge for their services. Are there advantages to using an elder care lawyer over one of those services?

As I understand it, these services do not cost anything but rather are paid by the facilities where they place people. I also believe an elder care lawyer can do the same thing but they charge for their services. Are there advantages to using an elder care lawyer over one of those services?

A place for mom is nothing more than an algorithm. They offer very little and much of the information they provide is not relevant. If they do have a rep they have very little hands on experience and more than likely never set foot in the facility they are recommending. Call the facility you anre interested directly and deal with their community relations director.

Elder care attorney is not necessary when choosing a facility. Only thing an elder attorney is necessary is when you are trying to protect assets and plan for Medicaid. If you haven’t planned for that with a 5 year look back it may be too late.

From dealing with relatives in hospice care, I learned the best way to go is with the religious affiliated.
They are more thoughtful and humane and with better staff.
The secular staffers are often like grim reapers who want death as fast as possible
Palliative sedation vs terminal sedation is a dividing line.

The religious programs want to do "little things" like moisten eyes and lips for comfort.
The barbarians from secular hospitals try to con you into thinking you are promoting their suffering by keeping them alive longer. Someone on deathbed from cancer isn't going to live longer because of an eye dropper of water to moisten dry eyes and lips.

If I was looking into nursing homes I would lean the same way. Might be cheaper too.

As I understand it, an assisted living place is unlikely to accept a patient who they consider demented. If they do accept a patient, it is important that you understand what they will do if the patient does become demented -- do they have a memory unit or will they just tell you to take the person to a nursing home? (Even if they do have a memory unit, they will probably insist that you take the person to a nursing home when he or she becomes too ill for them.)

I do not see any reason why an elder care attorney would be needed to choose a facility. As @kupuna133 says, the function of a lawyer is to do a Medicaid trust to protect assets.

I am always distrustful of services that are "free." Their business model is to be supported by fees from the providers. That means the service makes its recommendations based on who pays them the highest fees rather than on what is best for you.

Reactions: thegock and RULoyal
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT