ADVERTISEMENT

OT: As a cranky, old school football fan....

I thought Madden was great at the time . But if you go back and listen to some of his games , his analysis was very elementary
Yes, it was elementary. But most fans are not nearly as knowledgeable as you are. His "boom . . . boom" got across something, at least, and I liked that he emphasized the importance of line play. He also knew how to use the telestrator, which a lot of color guys don't use enough. He also obviously loved the sport, which is not something that comes across with all commentators.

You probably remember Dick Vermeil when he was doing color. I'm sure he knew what he was talking about, but no one else did.

Yes, it was elementary. But most fans are not nearly as knowledgeable as you are. His "boom . . . boom" got across something, at least, and I liked that he emphasized the importance of line play. He also knew how to use the telestrator, which a lot of color guys don't use enough. He also obviously loved the sport, which is not something that comes across with all commentators.

You probably remember Dick Vermeil when he was doing color. I'm sure he knew what he was talking about, but no one else did.
So true ! Someone else that gets it !

I remember one of the Denver games and he was taking about Elway- using the telestrator- he talked about how Elway use to just throw the ball harer than anyone else, and drew a player and put an X on his chest showing the bruise WR's would get from the nose of the football. And then spoke about once Elway learned more touch and not just trying to put an x on everyone, he became so much better. lol

It was a fun way he had to simplify some things but help someone learn something

..I really don't like how the game that decides the NFL championship has evolved into a circus over the years. Now get off my lawn!
It's so wives and children have a reason to attend a sports gathering typically dominated by us old, cranky guys. And the wives usually bring better food than we would.

Last edited:
Reactions: retired711
And they're also not as spectacularly wrong as you are. 5 times: that ranks right up there with Clinton denying he had sex with that girl.
It was a mistake ! It was linked in another thread . Then I owned up to it . And why do you want to talk about that and not my legendary takes ??

The Lahaina HS team and city was certainly a moving story, but during the coin toss?
Realize the NFL has had a number of players from the islands of Hawaii. The annual Pro Bowl was hosted on Oahu. The new stadium is being built but unsure of when or if this game will be back there ?The NFL has had always had ties to this place. Thought that was a great gesture by the NFL.

The tragedy on Maui caused immense hardship for those people . Keep in mind Las Vegas is considered the 9th Hawaiian island. many residents have moved there over a number of years.

Realize the NFL has had a number of players from the islands of Hawaii. The annual Pro Bowl was hosted on Oahu. The new stadium is being built but unsure of when or if this game will be back there ?The NFL has had always had ties to this place. Thought that was a great gesture by the NFL.
I get it and said as much above. What I found odd was timing the mini-documentary immediately preceding the coin toss, just as everyone assumes the game is about to start.

In their prime, Summerall and Madden were the best.

They watched the game with the fans and let the game breath.
Now commentators have to talk too much and say "athleticism" 60 times a game.
A player jumps 14" and the gushing is immediate
NFL has a recipe for marketing players as gods.
Livvy at LSU is a better athlete but you'll never hear about her "athleticism" non-stop.

They watched the game with the fans and let the game breath.
Now commentators have to talk too much and say "athleticism" 60 times a game.
A player jumps 14" and the gushing is immediate
NFL has a recipe for marketing players as gods.
Livvy at LSU is a better athlete but you'll never hear about her "athleticism" non-stop.

Is ur new avatar a Tay Tay drawing?

The tragedy on Maui caused immense hardship for those people . Keep in mind Las Vegas is considered the 9th Hawaiian island. many residents have moved there over a number of years.
The Maui disaster unfortunately has been forgotten by most Americans. Over 100 Americans die plus thousands left homeless and almost no one seems to care.
Great job by the NFL with this one.

Reactions: Rutgers Chris
The Maui disaster unfortunately has been forgotten by most Americans. Over 100 Americans die plus thousands left homeless and almost no one seems to care.
I had no problem at all with the attention given to the kids and coaches from Maui. What did bother me were the mediocre performances of America the Beautiful and the National Anthem.

It’s like every other news item that may have a negative impact on future office holders.

I had no problem at all with the attention given to the kids and coaches from Maui. What did bother me were the mediocre performances of America the Beautiful and the National Anthem.
Actually ( and I’m older than most here) thought Post Malone ‘s version of this classic was really good. Now he does look like a cartoon character but he projected a heartfelt version of the song. It was far from mediocre… as the late Alex Chilton told me years ago …people have opinions… Reba did fine .

Not AFC. An AFL fan
Yes, DeRogatis is from that long ago. The AFL game was different; the usual pass defense was bump-and-run and there were lots of long pass completions. (I think, for instance, of the Raiders' Daryl Lamonica, known as the Mad Bomber.) I remember as a kid favoring the AFL over the NFL for reasons like that.

Reactions: colbert17
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT