ADVERTISEMENT

OT: As a cranky, old school football fan....

Half-time performers don't even get paid - they should press for NIL with all the horrible ads.
I watched game at someone else's place so I got stuck watching ads and Usher.
Halftime was underwhelming but not awful.
Ads were so depressing I felt bad for the youngs they were aimed at.
The game was ok - close and mistakes loomed large.
I know Mahomes/Reid own 4th so when it was close at the half I expected KC to win.
I like KC but game wasn't over a minute and all the dynasty/3peat stuff started sloshing all over the place

The angry old guys sure showed the NFL today by not viewing and not caring anymore. Thanks y'all for sharing your anti-interests here. Maybe The Donald can point you to something that can actually support soon, rather than just hating on stuff.

Meanwhile, the Super Bowl was great this year - at least the 4th quarters and OT were. May also turn out to be the highest-rated Super Bowl ever.

Last edited:
The angry old guys sure showed the NFL today by not viewing and not caring anymore. Thanks y'all for sharing your anti-interests here. Maybe The Donald can point you to something that can actually support soon, rather than just hating on stuff.

Meanwhile, the Super Bowl was great this year - at least the 4th quarters and OT were. May also turn out to be the highest-rated Super Bowl ever.
Why bring politics into it? There was nothing political about this thread. Kind of ironic too that you don't mention the other old President, who stokes a lot of anger and hatred. Did he even do his Super Bowl interview, or was he in hiding after last weeks disaster? See how this works? Thread was going fine. Maybe I missed injection of politics further up the thread, because I have a long ignore list of people who inject politics into threads.

Had the game on in my office. Didn't watch pre game or halftime and I don't feel like I missed anything. Good game though but was disappointed that KC won.

Just turn the game on at kick. Go do something different at halftime . This is easier to do if you’re not at a party or bar , the most annoying thing is being at a party with non-football fans. But I get it . It’s a hugely popular event . Just not my thing. Give me a fall Sunday with my grill going and watching the regular season games.

Agree and Yes -they have been good games recently for the most part. Not sure how old you are, but when I was growing up in the 80s and early 90s, there were some real turd SBs. The game had a real bad rep then and deservedly so, but that’s not the case today.
As someone who was watching Super Bowls from their start, I have to tell you there were bad ones in the early years too. Last night's game was sloppy in the first half, but it's hard to argue with a game that goes into overtime and ends with a walk-off touchdown.

As for the half-time show, it was boring, but that is better than last year, when Rihinna exploited her pregnancy for commercial gain.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Just turn the game on at kick. Go do something different at halftime . This is easier to do if you’re not at a party or bar , the most annoying thing is being at a party with non-football fans. But I get it . It’s a hugely popular event . Just not my thing. Give me a fall Sunday with my grill going and watching the regular season games.
Your advice is good. I also turn the game on only at kickoff. We snacked during halftime and didn't pay much attention. Yes, I agree it's terrible to be at a party with people who have no idea what's going on. Super Bowl XXIX was spoiled for me that way -- I wanted to focus as the Niners trounced the Chargers.

BTW, the seven guys talking at halftime contributed nothing.

For the old farts here, the pregame show earlier in the day had a great segment on the early days of the nfl today . They covered the Greek-Brent fight and how cbs screwed Jayne Kennedy . It was well done

Anything's better than Joe Buck. But Nantz was hyping what didn't need hyping, and Romo was incomprehensible too much of the time.
Buck-aikman has grown on me. It helps they are off fox and on mnf. Gets them off the big Sunday game and nfc title game.
I listen to them less since I usually fall asleep in the second quarter of mnf.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I turned it on at 6pm which was at least 20 minutes too early. I usually like the hear the rendition of the anthem. I thought Romo was as bad as Nantz with the overhyping. I think I have Romo fatigue and I am a Cowboy fan. Seriously considered the mute button which is an increasing play on my part.

The second half was better not just because there was more scoring but less also less mistakes. The Travis Kelce/Taylor Swift component has been an increasing net negative from a watch perspective. If I was Andy Reid I would have told TK to F-off when he bumped me on the sideline. I did not care for the halftime show but I am admittedly an older guy.

I guess Homes.com really made an strategic investment but for me the recollection will only be about quantity not quality. Was that the same Temu commercial about 4xs? I always wonder how it is decided whose commercials get aired in OT. I assume the contract covers extended play costs and priorities?

For the old farts here, the pregame show earlier in the day had a great segment on the early days of the nfl today . They covered the Greek-Brent fight and how cbs screwed Jayne Kennedy . It was well done
agreed, i thought that was very good and one of the few pre game segments I actually listened to.

I turned it on at 6pm which was at least 20 minutes too early. I usually like the hear the rendition of the anthem. I thought Romo was as bad as Nantz with the overhyping. I think I have Romo fatigue and I am a Cowboy fan. Seriously considered the mute button which is an increasing play on my part.

The second half was better not just because there was more scoring but less also less mistakes. The Travis Kelce/Taylor Swift component has been an increasing net negative from a watch perspective. If I was Andy Reid I would have told TK to F-off when he bumped me on the sideline. I did not care for the halftime show but I am admittedly an older guy.

I guess Homes.com really made an strategic investment but for me the recollection will only be about quantity not quality. Was that the same Temu commercial about 4xs? I always wonder how it is decided whose commercials get aired in OT. I assume the contract covers extended play costs and priorities?
Romo has become a caricature of himself. He has tried to amplify what people liked about him. Same thing happened with John Madded - at least for me.

Romo has become a caricature of himself. He has tried to amplify what people liked about him. Same thing happened with John Madded - at least for me.
Romo would be ok if he wasn’t calling the biggest games . So annoying and many times in the screeching voice. “This is for the superbowl jiiiimmmm “

I didn’t think the game was overdone at all. Halftime is what it is.
Yeah, not sure why some here don’t get this basic fact - halftime is NOT for us. Even if the act is one that you actually like, it STILL isn‘t for you, lol.

At the party I was at, every single wife was dancing around at half. All the guys stood/sat around with their arms crossed.

Reactions: Plum Street
Yeah, not sure why some here don’t get this basic fact - halftime is NOT for us. Even if the act is one that you actually like, it STILL isn‘t for you, lol.

At the party I was at, every single wife was dancing around at half. All the guys stood/sat around with their arms crossed.
Yup. Did other things when the game wasn't going on. I did check in the halftime show a little bit, but every time I looked there was someone new on the stage who I didn't know. Shouldn't need a roster sheet for the halftime show.

Have watched every Super Bowll since its inception. Good ones and some not so thrilling… this turned out pretty exciting in the 2nd half. Thought 49ers were going to do it but have learned Mahomes is a great leader, field operator and down right tough to beat. Thought halftime show was going to be good with Usher but it seemed all over the place. Was not impressed by Usher stripping off his clothes but I’m quite positive others here will be upset by that opinion. 😊

As I said previously, it’s the least enjoyable game for me bc of all the extra curriculs

I don’t even like watching it at a party bc nobody is paying attention or they’re more interested in the commercials

But from a purely football standpoint, that was a true classic

Even the most ardent haters have to admit that

Reactions: RUPete

Yeah Madden got old real fast and stayed very long.

I asked the three Girl Scouts selling cookies at the coffee shop Sunday morning whether they wanted to see TayTay in the SB and all said yes.
Did you actually call her TayTay to 3 girl scouts? Asking for a friend. 😳

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT