ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Baseball Trivia

There are negative records sure to stand for all time. fewest hits in a game, fewest walks by a pitcher, fewest stolen bases. Many of these records are held by several players:Wink:

This original Met holds a combined home run record. can you name him?
Most home runs by players with the same name? Frank Thomas, the original Met, had 286. The other Frank Thomas, the Big Hurt, had 521.

Reactions: wicker
There was a baseball game where a batter went 4 for 4, all singles

The batter right after him grounded into 4 double plays

What team and players?

There was a baseball game where a batter went 4 for 4, all singles

The batter right after him grounded into 4 double plays

What team and players?
I know this one! It's the Mets in the late 70's. Felix Millan singled four times. Manager-to-be Joe Torre then grounded into four DP's. To this day, Torre says it's Millan's fault for singling in front of him.

Reactions: wheezer and MURF87
No takers for my question? Seven father and son combos were strike out victims of Nolan Ryan. Name them.

I know this one! It's the Mets in the late 70's. Felix Millan singled four times. Manager-to-be Joe Torre then grounded into four DP's. To this day, Torre says it's Millan's fault for singling in front of him.

very good.....

You are very close to the answer to my trivia question, so I will provide it now.

IHMO, the record that is least likely to ever be broken is most grand slams in an inning. That record is held by Fernando Tatis (Sr.) with two.

To break that record would require the convergence of two incredibly unlikely events:
  • The player would have to have the opportunity to hit three grand slams in an inning. This would require a minimum of 23 players coming to bat in the inning. In baseball history that has happened only once.
  • Then given that opportunity, the player would have to actually do it, i.e., hit three grand slams in a row. That has never been done.
So from a mathematical standpoint, we are talking about the joint probably of two events, of which the individual probability of each event is infinitesimal.

So, the oddity about Tatis hitting 2 grand slams in an inning, is that he hit them off the same pitcher. (Chan Ho Park)
So I'd have to add that maybe even more unlikely than a hitter hitting 3 grand slams in an inning, is a pitcher giving up 3 grand slams in an inning.

Let's do some.
Griffey
Boone
Bonds
Alou
Perez

.... and some guesses.
Rose
Alomar
Wills

Griffey, Bonds were the easy ones.. Good job on Wills and Alomar. That's four... The other guess were wrong though. (I originally thought Alou as well)

Here's a fun one, Cal Ripkin Jr's career ended when he was on the on deck circle, name the player that struck out ahead of him to end the game... (bonus points if you can name the team they were playing)

Ripkens and Fielders are incorrect. (Wills was previously guessed and was correct)

Hal McRae probably got K'd alot while Ryan was on the Angels. I forget where his son (Brian?) played, but he was likely around at the right time to also get K'd.

Hal McRae probably got K'd alot while Ryan was on the Angels. I forget where his son (Brian?) played, but he was likely around at the right time to also get K'd.

Ding ding! That's five. (Alomar, Bonds, Griffey, Wills, McCrae).

We all know about the intentional walk. But last year Kelsey Jansen committed the first known intentional balk! He alerted the umpire that he was going to balk, and proceeded to do so. Anyone know why, or care to guess?

And none of the four were any of the most meaningful DP Joe hit into at Shea

RU connection..... Obviously Todd Frazier has the most HRs of any RU alum in the majors (214). Who has the second most?

I would have guessed it was Roy McMillan

We all know about the intentional walk. But last year Kelsey Jansen committed the first known intentional balk! He alerted the umpire that he was going to balk, and proceeded to do so. Anyone know why, or care to guess?
Since this one had no takers I will provide the answer.

Dodgers were up by two runs in the ninth, runner on second. The Dodger bench thought the runner was stealing their signs, or at least trying to. Since that run meant nothing, the bench directed Kelsey to intentionally balk the runner to third, where he would be less disruptive.

Reactions: MURF87
Eric Young actually had 79 home runs in the bigs.

Correct answer is David DeJesus, with 99.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT