ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Bball Paul and Spencer

Pike has 160 minutes thrown on the floor and it is up to the players to decide if they play. I dont know how Pike is going to manage Gavin. How he navigates this one iaffects more than the 2023-24 season.I
I hate that - it's up to the players. Then what is the coaches job? It's up to the coach to get the players to play the right way.

I get that GG wasnt playing defense and was getting abused...tell me who on our team was actually playing any defense that we should be applauding???
I didn't see any good defense the entire night--fundamentals of boxing out were not there. Help side defense was not there. Not letting a man beat you was not there. Stopping the ball(most important) was not there.
Pike only swapped out players to try and change things up but NEVER change up our man to man defense which is another lever he could have pulled.
Bad night all around from players to coaching
Palmquist was the only one blocking out. Everyone else looked like they went to the Eddie Jordan school of rebounding. JD plays defense, and from what I saw, should be getting more minutes as the season goes on.

Reactions: Rhuarc
Gavin can learn defense on the floor though, he doesnt have to learn how to play defense on the bench. You think our guards played good defense? Put him and and let him get his feet under him on that end of the floor.

Princeton shot 45% from 3 on 20 attempts. How much better do they shoot from 3 with Gavin on the court? Gavin needed to play. We took 14 3s if we let him get 6 more 3s up we score 9 more points on 3 of 8 3pt shooting from Gavin. We have to build this into the offense.

Instead pike does what he does in 2H he tried to sacrifice offense to play defense and we couldn’t score the basketball. 1H everything was going fine just some bad bounces.
He was -23 +\-. He won’t get minutes if that continues and it won’t matter how good his offense is. This is not a Pike problem. Gavin needs to bring it on defense. He’s not playing if he doesn’t for any coach.

Palmquist was the only one blocking out. Everyone else looked like they went to the Eddie Jordan school of rebounding. JD plays defense, and from what I saw, should be getting more minutes as the season goes on.

More minutes?
Davis played 29min, most on the team, in a game we scored 61pts.

Last edited:
Princeton is a good team. The best players should have played from the start. The amount of rotating was too much. Not a great coaching job, IMO.

Now with cupcake season on the way, rotate all you want while giving some much needed experience to the key freshmen.

I still think everyone is reading way too much into one game.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
He was -23 +\-. He won’t get minutes if that continues and it won’t matter how good his offense is. This is not a Pike problem. Gavin needs to bring it on defense. He’s not playing if he doesn’t for any coach.
It is a Pike problem in the sense that GG should have already been taught how to play defense - about five drills every day will do it. That's half of defense. The other half of is being tough. You can't really teach that. It has to come from within.

Cam was a whopping FG 3-11, 3pt 2-10 vs Stonehill today in a 107-67 UConn win.
12pts, 6 AST, 5 Reb, 3TOs.

Last edited:
If you listened to the halftime studio show, Jim Jackson named Cam the most important transfer in the Big East this year.
Cam is considered a top BE transfer pick-up , but some feel Villanova got the best in TJ Bamba from Washington State while St. John's pick up of Penn's Jordan Dingle was the second best transfer get.
Cam is a good pick-up, but others might be rated above him like the two I mentioned from this article
https://www.on3.com/news/the-top-te...sfers-in-the-big-east-for-the-2022-23-season/

this, from 3 months ago
Top 5 Players from this Year’s Transfer Portal in the Big East
https://www.sportsgrid.com/article/top-5-players-from-this-years-transfer-portal-in-the-big-east

Cam is good, but not a franchise player

Cam is considered a top BE transfer pick-up , but some feel Villanova got the best in TJ Bamba from Washington State while St. John's pick up of Penn's Jordan Dingle was the second best transfer get.
Cam is a good pick-up, but others might be rated above him like the two I mentioned from this article
https://www.on3.com/news/the-top-te...sfers-in-the-big-east-for-the-2022-23-season/

this, from 3 months ago
Top 5 Players from this Year’s Transfer Portal in the Big East
https://www.sportsgrid.com/article/top-5-players-from-this-years-transfer-portal-in-the-big-east

Cam is good, but not a franchise player
Most important and best are different things. I think what Jackson means is that Cam was the piece they needed to have chance to win another title.

Last edited:
Spencer is starting for UConn which has to be considered a potential final four team.

Rutgers will miss both this season.
No they wony. PM is very inconsistent always has been and always will be. His assist/turnover ratio is not good. Took 1 sot in his game. CS will not be the player he was last year which was just average. They are both great competitors though

Reactions: rutgers1998
Yes, never getting to see guys like Steph Curry and Wemby play is very smart for someone who likes basketball. Very, very smart.
I am sad thinking my kids will never get to see Uwe Von Schamnan kick or Reggie Roby punt.

Last edited:
Pike often raved about PM and constantly said his value was in the many things other than scoring that he contributed to the team. Who got into his ear?

No they wony. PM is very inconsistent always has been and always will be. His assist/turnover ratio is not good. Took 1 sot in his game. CS will not be the player he was last year which was just average. They are both great competitors though
We would kill to have those 2 back, don’t kid yourself. Our guard play is not Big Ten caliber. PM and CS are legit power conference starters

Many confuse athletic ability with knowing how to play. Paul was probably our least athletic starter last year, but knew how to play the game better than anyone else. Spencer was next.

Reactions: RUby RED
Yes, never getting to see guys like Steph Curry and Wemby play is very smart for someone who likes basketball. Very, very smart.
There is a lot of talent and a lot of points scored in the NBA for the average fan. Most basketball purists would much prefer watching college games, and they've already seen Steph Curry when he was at Davidson. A lot of NBA fans are seeing him for the first time in the NBA.

Thats what NBa teams score in a quarter
That's because NBA players want to make millions of dollars until they're 40 years old, and the league wants their stars to score a lot of points for a lot of years so they can capitalize on them - can't do that if you're busting your tail on D every other night. Your career will be over at 35 and everyone makes less money.

That's because NBA players want to make millions of dollars until they're 40 years old, and the league wants their stars to score a lot of points for a lot of years so they can capitalize on them - can't do that if you're busting your tail on D every other night. Your career will be over at 35 and everyone makes less money.
The defense in the NBA is otherworldly. When was the last time you watched it.

There is a lot of talent and a lot of points scored in the NBA for the average fan. Most basketball purists would much prefer watching college games, and they've already seen Steph Curry when he was at Davidson. A lot of NBA fans are seeing him for the first time in the NBA.
He’s much better than at Davidson. And no Wemby, LeBron, Kobe…cool. Again, brilliant strategy to avoid watching the game you love at the highest level. I don’t know what a basketball “purist” is - peach baskets? - I’m a basketball fan.

That is how "gonzaga?" became "GONZAGA!".. redshirting in basketball and playing 5th-year seniors and also those older Mormon Mission types. And now that they are "GONZAGA" they can recruit directly with the big boys. Of course, we all hope next year's class is just earth-shattering for Rutgers.. and I hope it works out.
Mormon mission type? Gonzaga is a Jesuit school. If you said international and experienced I can agree. But Mormon? Only know of one Mormon basketball player who attended Gonzaga and he was a fairly recent player Wade.

As a matter of fact they have been hostile to Mormons at Gonzaga and were called out for it.

Guarantee that guy is 60 years old and hasn’t watched the nba since the 90s. Dumbest people on the planet. 🌏
Actually 70, but close enough, and I do watch an occasional NBA game. Only really stupid people refer to someone else as dumb without getting to know them. It must make you feel important. Anyway, I'm petty sure I have more basketball knowledge in my 70 year old pinkie than you'll accumulate in your lifetime.

Mormon mission type? Gonzaga is a Jesuit school. If you said international and experienced I can agree. But Mormon? Only know of one Mormon basketball player who attended Gonzaga and he was a fairly recent player Wade.

As a matter of fact they have been hostile to Mormons at Gonzaga and were called out for it.

First.. the post you replied to was a post in agreement with one saying our plan should be to "get old, stay old". And I said that is how Gonzaga did it... how they reached where they now are.

Sooo.. you think they don't have Mormon players and you also think they have a problem asking Mormon players to not do their 2-year Mission time?

Okaaaay...

Also.. I specifically said that this is how they built their team initially.. older players.. redshirting, etc. They do not need that now as their recruiting skyrocketed along with their name and their tournament history. And, clearly, Mormons attend the Jesuit School or they wouldn't be being accused of being hostile to them.

Besides.. the main point wasn't teh Momoons.. it was redshirting and starting 5th-year seniors. An occasional Mormon who did a mission just added to the age and experience thing. They also took a lot of foreign players as they built their name.

Here's a story from 2017 that speaks to how they used the redshirt year in their program.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT