ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Best Overhand Curveballs

rudad02

All American
Nov 7, 2010
Don't see the overhand curve[12 to 6] anymore. Was a really tough, if not impossible, pitch to hit.
Best I ever saw:
Camilo Pascual--Washington Senators & other teams. Ted Williams said that Pascual had the most feared curveball in the Big Leagues for 18 years;
Sandy Koufax--LA Dodgers. Williams didn't face Koufax, who broke out just as Williams was going out. Pretty GD unhittable;
Carl Erskine--Brooklyn Dodgers. Great overhand Curve. Struck out 14 yanks in the Series.

The following may not have been quite [12 to 6], but were really close & tough to hit: Nolan Ryan, Jerry Koosman, Bert Blyleven, Don Sutton, Herb Score.

Last edited:
Don't see the overhand curve[12 to 6] anymore. Was a really tough, if not impossible, pitch to hit.
Best I ever saw:
Camilo Pascual--Washington Senators & other teams. Ted Williams said that Pascual had the most feared curveball in the Big Leagues for 18 years;
Sandy Koufax--LA Dodgers. Williams didn't face Koufax, who broke out just as Williams was going out. Pretty GD unhittable;
Carl Erskine--Brooklyn Dodgers. Great overhand Curve. Struck out 14 yanks in the Series.

The following may not have been quite [12 to 6], but were really close & tough to hit: Nolan Ryan, Jerry Koosman, Bert Blyleven, Don Sutton.
@zappaa, do you think Rube Walker might have helped with those two?

There's no such thing as a real curve on a thrown baseball. It's all an optical illusion. Bur seriously from my recollection former Met starter turned reliever Neil Allen also had a very good curve.

There's no such thing as a real curve on a thrown baseball. It's all an optical illusion. Bur seriously from my recollection former Met starter turned reliever Neil Allen also had a very good curve.
No shit. Ever try hitting a 12-6 curveball.

Camilo Pascual, brings back some old time bb memories.
Liked him and Pedro Ramos , both played for a loser, in Washington, but were winners in their own right
Camilo's curve was feared
Pedro's ( tobacco juice) Cuban Palm Ball was well known

from the mid 60s I thought I remembered Jim Bouton having a good curve before his arm went bad and turned to the knuckeball. I looked it up and found that he used to tell a story about Joe Morgan who said there are two types of curveballs. A curveball that you could see and occasionally hit and a "motherf***ing* curve that was unhittable. I believe he may have been referring to a Steve Carlton curve.

Me !!
9 pitches 3 K’s all curves vs Wildwood SR year

Pat myself on the back 😂😂😂😂

way to go kids GIF by Children's Miracle Network Hospitals

from the mid 60s I thought I remembered Jim Bouton having a good curve before his arm went bad and turned to the knuckeball. I looked it up and found that he used to tell a story about Joe Morgan who said there are two types of curveballs. A curveball that you could see and occasionally hit and a "motherf***ing* curve that was unhittable. I believe he may have been referring to a Steve Carlton curve.
I believe it was Carlton's slider that was considered unhittable
He did have a good slow breaking curve that set up his slider
and his fastball had some speed to it.
But the slider was what Steve was known for

On his good days Domingo German's curve is virtually unhittable.

I didn't see Koufax. First big CB's I got to see were Koosman and Blyleven. And when Doc was on- his curve just froze the shit out of hitters. Having a nasty attitude and a blazing fastball is always helpful too. I would put Nolan up there but his complete lack of control just keeps him off my list.

First three that came to mind were Gooden, Blyleven, and Kershaw.

Neil Allen did have a good one too.

Gooden and Wainright come to mind.
Yeah Gooden had a nasty hook. Can't seem to remember Wainright.
Best I ever faced belonged to Roger Bowman. Bowman played parts of three seasons with the NYG & parts of two with the Pirates. He had a great minor league career including one with the Jersey City Giants & several with Triple A clubs, including two no hitters in the Pacific Coast League.
After he retired he pitched for the Amsterdam Textiles, a fast semi- pro club from his hometown Amsterdam NY.
We used played the Textiles home & home for a couple of years. Bowman was a tall lefty with a great overhand curveball. One game he struck me out with it 3 times. And I was a real good curveball hitter & didn't strike out much. That ball started out at the bill of your cap & ended up at your shoe tops--straight down. I would see it swear I was going to hit it & swing right through it. Most have lost his mind one at bat & threw me a straight ball that I lined for a triple. He was also the only guy I couldn't run on. Brought that right leg up real high & just hung it there, no way I could tell where he was going to go.

Yeah Gooden had a nasty hook. Can't seem to remember Wainright.
Best I ever faced belonged to Roger Bowman. Bowman played parts of three seasons with the NYG & parts of two with the Pirates. He had a great minor league career including one with the Jersey City Giants & several with Triple A clubs, including two no hitters in the Pacific Coast League.
After he retired he pitched for the Amsterdam Textiles, a fast semi- pro club from his hometown Amsterdam NY.
We used played the Textiles home & home for a couple of years. Bowman was a tall lefty with a great overhand curveball. One game he struck me out with it 3 times. And I was a real good curveball hitter & didn't strike out much. That ball started out at the bill of your cap & ended up at your shoe tops--straight down. I would see it swear I was going to hit it & swing right through it. Most have lost his mind one at bat & threw me a straight ball that I lined for a triple. He was also the only guy I couldn't run on. Brought that right leg up real high & just hung it there, no way I could tell where he was going to go.
Wainright just retired. But Carlos Beltran remembers his curve.

• Angry
Reactions: yesrutgers01
Carlton’s pitch was a slider.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT