ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Beth Mowins news

mikemarc1

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2005
Our favorite NCAA announcer appears to have gotten a promotion.

She is reportedly calling the 2nd game of the Monday Night Football doubleheader on ESPN to open the season. Her partner will he Rex Ryan.

Congrats to her, and congrats on being only the 2nd woman to call an NFL game, but what's ESPN thinking? Not many people think she's too good. Bad idea, if you ask me.

http://on.si.com/2pMaULp

Reactions: Scarletwoman
Don't know whether she's good or bad. But there are a lot of people (in decision making position) that think Doris is great. Thank God she's retiring.

Reactions: Scarletwoman

She is reportedly calling the 2nd game of the Monday Night Football doubleheader on ESPN to open the season. Her partner will he Rex Ryan.

Congrats to her, and congrats on being only the 2nd woman to call an NFL game, but what's ESPN thinking? Not many people think she's too good. Bad idea, if you ask me.

Oh god. Scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Reactions: RU'70
I feel like she gets a bad rap/rep from having done so many games with Mr. Incompetent. (Joey Galloway). When not paired with him she's pretty good once you get over your predispoitions that she sucks.

I feel like she gets a bad rap/rep from having done so many games with Mr. Incompetent. (Joey Galloway). When not paired with him she's pretty good once you get over your predispoitions that she sucks.
Really! Miss ESPNU at best. Her monotone delivery is actually grating. Not withstanding her repetitive commentary.

Reactions: Rufaninga

IMO, she's not that bad.

It is mind blowing how ESPN makes stupid decision after stupid decision. Hell, they're literally sponsored by MSNBC now.

Reactions: jonS and vkj91
She is okay. I am disappointed about Rex Ryan, the pompous windbag. How can he be any good?

Anyway, giving her the second game of that Monday night doubleheader is harmless enough. It's not like she is working on the A team. If she is bad, we will never hear her do another NFL game. If she is good, she might get to do the same game next year

Well that's one NFL game I will not watch. ESPN making all the right moves.

Can't stand women doing FB. What bugs me is their voices.If they put on women with deeper voices who knew their stuff,it might pass my tolerance test. Shit,I turn off the sound on the men Broadcasters. I want to WATCH FB not have it EXPLAINED to me.Sideline Ladies OK.

I call Mowins the Reba McEntire of sports broadcasting because her cadence is oh so similar to the country singer/actress. Mowins has a southern drawl even though she is a northerner.

She is okay. I am disappointed about Rex Ryan, the pompous windbag. How can he be any good?

Anyway, giving her the second game of that Monday night doubleheader is harmless enough. It's not like she is working on the A team. If she is bad, we will never hear her do another NFL game. If she is good, she might get to do the same game next year

I agree with this . She's not bad. And it's a west coast game right that starts at 10 pm on the east coast. How many of the mopes on this board are actually going to still be awake?

MNF should be reserved for the football broadcasting greats. Pinnacle of the career. But over the years, more times than not - end up with average or worse.

How RU doin'?

Its the world we live in now. Some people are hired to make it look good in the political correct world or to fulfill quotas, not because of their skills. IMO, MNF is one of the biggest broadcast jobs going right now, you can't tell me she is in the top 5 of broadcasters, let alone top 10, or top 20.

Reactions: RU-Nation

Agreed. I think she's good, not great, and won't get my panties into a bunch like some here over having a - God forbid! - woman calling a football game. And for those who think she's not qualified to call football, in general, or a 2nd MNF game, read the article - doesn't mean she's the best qualified, but I don't recall such wailing and gnashing of teeth over Greenberg/Berman.

"For the past two seasons Mowins has called the Raiders’ exhibition games in addition to her college football schedule. This gives her a ton more full-time NFL game-calling experience than two broadcasters ESPN previously assigned to call the back end of the MNF doubleheader: Mike Greenberg and Chris Berman."

Can't stand women doing FB. What bugs me is their voices.If they put on women with deeper voices who knew their stuff,it might pass my tolerance test. Shit,I turn off the sound on the men Broadcasters. I want to WATCH FB not have it EXPLAINED to me.Sideline Ladies OK.
If you turn off the sound on male announcers, why do you care if a woman is doing the game? Either way, you are not going to hear it.
Also MNF is not the primo game it used to be. If you haven't noticed, it is not on ABC anymore. ESPN generally gets lesser games. The most watched and supposedly, most prominent, announcers are the Sunday night NBC crew and the A teams for CBS and FOX. Though I think FOX guys stink. I wish Mowins (or just about anybody else for that matter) could replace Joe Buck. I also can't understand why Romo walks right into the booth with Nantz without any experience at all.

It's a PC move by ESPNMSNBC. They live for political sh*it.

If you turn off the sound on male announcers, why do you care if a woman is doing the game? Either way, you are not going to hear it.
Also MNF is not the primo game it used to be. If you haven't noticed, it is not on ABC anymore. ESPN generally gets lesser games. The most watched and supposedly, most prominent, announcers are the Sunday night NBC crew and the A teams for CBS and FOX. Though I think FOX guys stink. I wish Mowins (or just about anybody else for that matter) could replace Joe Buck. I also can't understand why Romo walks right into the booth with Nantz without any experience at all.
You make a valid point about the sound.Truth be told I sometimes listen to the voices when it gets to quiet and lonely in my bedroom.Beth's voice isn't tolerable for me however.

Almost time for another Beth Mowins special

A few things -
(1.) Born & raised in Syracuse,NY yet her voice has an odd slight twangy resemblance to Holly Hunter

(2.) sound engineering seems off - the balance between crowd noise & Rex & Beth seems really erratic - and atypical for MNF game - if sound engineers can take pedestrian vocalists and autotune them into pop stars - they can certainly dial this in a lot better - there are moments when they sound like they are having to shout over the crowd... sounds like the windows in the broadcast booth are wide open.

(3.) there are moments where they have the awkward stiffness of a couple of kids in eighth grade dance class - you lead - no, I'll lead, oops ... ouch that was my toe.

Finally - Why would you pair two 'first timers'? Why not place a newbie with a seasoned professional to provide mentoring? Regardless of how you feel about Mowins - it is really a bit stupid to put her out there in her 'debut' - and also have her be expected to feed openings to first timer Rex Ryan - and constantly adjust to his constantly varying comfort level so as to not leave him hanging out to dry.

A few things -
(1.) Born & raised in Syracuse,NY yet her voice has an odd slight twangy resemblance to Holly Hunter

(2.) sound engineering seems off - the balance between crowd noise & Rex & Beth seems really erratic - and atypical for MNF game - if sound engineers can take pedestrian vocalists and autotune them into pop stars - they can certainly dial this in a lot better - there are moments when they sound like they are having to shout over the crowd... sounds like the windows in the broadcast booth are wide open.

(3.) there are moments where they have the awkward stiffness of a couple of kids in eighth grade dance class - you lead - no, I'll lead, oops ... ouch that was my toe.

Finally - Why would you pair two 'first timers'? Why not place a newbie with a seasoned professional to provide mentoring? Regardless of how you feel about Mowins - it is really a bit stupid to put her out there in her 'debut' - and also have her be expected to feed openings to first timer Rex Ryan - and constantly adjust to his constantly varying comfort level so as to not leave him hanging out to dry.
Because nobody is watching

Looks like I picked a good time to boycott the NFL. Did not tune in for any games this weekend and will not watch at all while the league operates the way it does now.

Also find the games and telecasts a bit boring.

Reactions: LC-88
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT