ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Big Heatwave/EDIT: Debbie passes well to west but band of showers and squall line and tornado watch to get thru

Nah, there has always been some cool days, 80’s after 3-4 bad days. Down there it’s like 30-40 days straight of this humidity.

Las Vegas is becoming unbearable like 105-110 every day in July. I would like to visit but not in that weather. Last time, I almost had heat stroke.
My wife and I moved out to LasVegas early last year. The heat ( 120 on July 6th and 117 degrees coming this Monday and Tuesday) is unbearable.. not to mention all the rejects and social derelicts out here. Already making plans to move back to New Jersey next summer.

Reactions: Knight Shift
My wife and I moved out to LasVegas early last year. The heat ( 120 on July 6th and 117 degrees coming this Monday and Tuesday) is unbearable.. not to mention all the rejects and social derelicts out here. Already making plans to move back to New Jersey next summer.
Wow - really?

Reactions: Knight Shift
Was in Vegas in August a bunch of years ago. 110 degree's. In the sun was unbearable.

Getting major thunderstorms up here right now, was not expecting that.

Just had a power flicker as I was typing this!

One rogue storm just passed over Hamilton. Glad I hadn't started another coat of paint on my deck project!

Reactions: Postman_1
One rogue storm just passed over Hamilton. Glad I hadn't started another coat of paint on my deck project!
Came out of nowhere too. I think we got 0.82" from yesterdays storm. The bigger stuff is supposed to hit later tonight.

Reactions: rurichdog
Yesterday we got 1¼" out of those storms (which was really f'd up as we got nothing at work in Parsippany during the day), and we got about ½" from 3-5 today.

This is some of the heaviest rain storms I can recall, it's crazy

day 7 of the heatwave got to 96 today as mets busted...way more sun than forecasted and most of us got hit with heavy rains of half to well over an inch later in the afternoon and in the evening

replay tomorrow with scattered storm and highs may only touch 90

Got another ¼" of rain last night.

Currently it's 74° with 93% humidity. Ugh!

Looks like my 7 day heatwave will come to an end today as clouds probably keep temps capped at mid 80s

One last day of 90-95 on Monday with sun before the bottom falls out on summer.

Extended period of clouds beginning Tuesday with rain chances increasing during the week and we are not just talking a bit of rain...this looks like it could be copious amounts and the potential for flooding rains. Definitely people should keep abreast as the situation evolves this week.

if you took off this week to go down the shore...cancel it. Days and days and day of cloudy dreary weather and we will be asking ourselves at the end of next weekend, what happened to summer?

p168i.gif

Take that graphic with a grain of salt the size of NJ…that thing changes constantly…especially when the weather gurls go full-on now-casting and chasing the models. With a storm path as uncertain as Debby…especially

The 4th heatwave of the year comes to an end at 7 days. It may not be the last of the season but likely we are not going to get a sustained heat event as lengthy or as intense and the next 7-10 days will feature normal to below normal with the exception of Mondays low to mid 90s. Worst of the summer heat has left the building

sunday: 92
monday: 90
tuesday: 91
wednesday: 93
thursday: 99
friday: 100
saturday: 96

models are backing off from any suppression solution, but still what happens is a question mark, how close to debbie get here

we are going to get alot of rain tuesday night into wednesday and then more thursday into friday

these numbers if they happen would compare to Irene in 2011 which caused widespread flooding in NJ

1827614608_ScreenShot2024-08-05at6_55_13AM.thumb.png.68cecd19d7b074e1cc58ef9dfc39853e.png

Flight home on Friday around noon from Albany to EWR

Better to drive, or fly out on Thursday evening?

there is no guarantee any of this happens BUT if you have some extra time and you are in areas that have had trouble in the past with these tropical systems and their remnants..ie Irene and Ida now would be the time to start doing a little preparing to be on the safe side

I’ll be in OCMD camping with the motorhome Wednesday-Monday. Will this just be a constant hammering of rain?

I’ll be in OCMD camping with the motorhome Wednesday-Monday. Will this just be a constant hammering of rain?
there likely will be breaks....big slug coming tuesday evening to wednesday and then thursday night into friday...where you are the timing will be a bit differenta

.SHORT TERM /TUESDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY NIGHT/...
High pressure moves offshore on Tuesday, and then a cold front
approaches from the north and west Tuesday afternoon and
evening. Return flow behind the high will tap into tropical
moisture associated with what is currently Hurricane Debby that
will be over the Southeast. It will be quite warm and humid
ahead of this front, and even with increasing cloud cover during
the day, highs will climb into the 80s and around 90. Although
these temperatures are not necessarily extreme not only for this
time of the year, but for this summer in particular, increasing
low level moisture will result in dew points well in the low to
mid 70s. Unlike today, not expecting much in the way of
afternoon mixing that would lower those dew points. Max heat
index values will be well in the 90s and may even come close to
100 in some spots in southern New Jersey and in Delmarva. Will
hold off on issuing a Heat Advisory at this time, as those 100
degree heat index values will be spotty, and maybe not even in
areas where Heat Advisory criteria is at least 100 degrees.

A cold front and upper trough approach from the north and west
in the afternoon and evening. SB CAPE values will be up around
1500 to 2000 J/kg and 0-6 km Bulk Shear values will increase to
35 to 40 kt. PWATs will also be in excess of 2 inches. The Storm
Prediction Center has most of the region except for southern
Delmarva and extreme southeast New Jersey in a Slight Risk (1
out of 5) for severe weather. The main threat will be strong
downbursts and damaging wind gusts.

Going into Tuesday night, that trough will interact with
tropical moisture associated with Debby over the Southeast, and
heavy downpours are likely. Total rainfall will range from 1 to
2 inches, but locally higher amounts are possible. The Weather
Prediction Center has portions of New Jersey, southeast
Pennsylvania, and northern Delaware in a Moderate Risk (3 out of
4) for Excessive Rainfall and a Slight Risk (2 out of 4)
elsewhere. Will go ahead and issue a Flood Watch for areas in a
Moderate Risk for late Tuesday afternoon through Wednesday
morning.

The front will stall out south of the region Wednesday morning.
Additional shortwave energy passing through in the afternoon
and evening will keep chances for showers and thunderstorms in
the forecast. Cooler air sinks down into the region with highs
in the 70s.

its what happens after that which is uncertain....the front coming through Tuesday night will tap in Debbies moisture but what she does after that and how it effect us is still up in the air

one thing to watch for is to never underestimate when tropical moisture is tapped into....see Ida....sometimes situations just evolve, no one is saying that will happen but its always a possibility and there is a possibility we can escape with just 2 inches of rain tomorrow night and some waves of showers at the end of the week where flooding isnt really a concern

.LONG TERM /THURSDAY THROUGH SUNDAY/...
Confidence in the forecast is lower than average for the Long
Term, mainly due to uncertainty with the evolution and track of
what is currently Hurricane Debby. Will follow the NBM due to
this uncertainty. Bands of showers and thunderstorms will spin
off of Debby and lift towards the region for the end of the
week, so will keep high chance to low-end likely PoPs in the
forecast. There are suggestions that Debby will emerge over the
Mid-Atlantic by this weekend. A better indication on specific
impacts and the evolution of Debby is likely to occur over the
next several days once more information becomes available.

Temperatures during the period will generally be below normal
with potentially some dry weather returning by Sunday.

Easy w good weather but dicey with weather predicted

Not as dicey as flying. And the Thruway for the first 80-90 miles isn't dicey at all except for blizzards, and that's the one thing we're sure not to get.

Not as dicey as flying. And the Thruway for the first 80-90 miles isn't dicey at all except for blizzards, and that's the one thing we're sure not to get.
That’s a good point

Will likely leave Thursday before dinner depending on the forecast

I don’t have a ton of experience w the thruway - but will keep an eye on the forecast

there likely will be breaks....big slug coming tuesday evening to wednesday and then thursday night into friday...where you are the timing will be a bit differenta
Thanks, if you get anymore updates please forward. Hoping for some outside time with the kids.

Really going to drop into the low 70s as well?
with a lot of clouds...yeah not totally unusually for these damp dreary cloudy days in August..more like Wednesday as we could get some sun peaking through on Thursday

really sucks for the Somerset County 4H fair which runs Wednesday to Friday..they should just bail on it now

That’s a good point

Will likely leave Thursday before dinner depending on the forecast

I don’t have a ton of experience w the thruway - but will keep an eye on the forecast

Thruway down to either 17 south at Mahwah or 7-8 miles farther to the Palisades Interstate depending or your destination.

Dew point down 10 from the weekend. May hit 90 today but it's not nearly as bad.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT