ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Big Heatwave/EDIT: Debbie passes well to west but band of showers and squall line and tornado watch to get thru

As usual with mesoscale events, rainfall amounts are all over the map, from not too much (only about 1/4" in Metuchen) to 1-2" in many locations and even 2-4" in some spots. Map below is rainfall over the last 12 hours for CNJ.

https://www.weather.gov/phi/rainfall-monitoring

454560579_10228583200639015_3561276503755897190_n.jpg

As usual with mesoscale events, rainfall amounts are all over the map, from not too much (only about 1/4" in Metuchen) to 1-2" in many locations and even 2-4" in some spots. Map below is rainfall over the last 12 hours for CNJ.

https://www.weather.gov/phi/rainfall-monitoring

454560579_10228583200639015_3561276503755897190_n.jpg
The map is also off, shows me at 1-1.5” and I’m only at 0.08”. Not sure if that’s radar indicated but i’ve noticed reflectivity for the KDIX radar can be off by 5+ miles at times.

• Wow
Reactions: bac2therac
Absolutely unreal drive home around 6-6:30. Just deluge conditions almost all the way home. The worst was the idiots on the highway, middle or left lanes, doing 35 MPH with their blinkers on. Get out of the #$(*$&#*($ you miserable #*$(&#$'s! Anyway, the rain gauge had just under 2" in it from this storm.

The heaviest rains will be to the west of it correct? So this is good news if so. Crazy how slow it’s moving down south then speeds up from Friday on
That's generally correct, as per the graphic below which shows rainfall from Thursday night through Friday night. Debby has been stuck for a few days under very weak steering currents, but the approaching major trough from the NW will finally pick up Debby's remnants and accelerate them NNE on Th/Fri/Sat - and we'll finally have seasonable, comfortable summer weather starting later on Saturday for the next several days.

fill_99qwbg.gif

The map is also off, shows me at 1-1.5” and I’m only at 0.08”. Not sure if that’s radar indicated but i’ve noticed reflectivity for the KDIX radar can be off by 5+ miles at times.
The colors are radar indicated, while the specific amounts are reporting stations and yes, radar can be a bit off.

Had just a few drops here so far in Hamilton. Heard the thunder going while I was rushing to cut what is left of my lawn. Nothing ever came down but a few drops here. We will see what tonight brings

...two hours after this post, I get stuck inside Home Depot in Hamilton because the water was sheeting off the roof. It was like looking through a waterfall.

Latest Debby remnants track has been shifted NW of our area, meaning rainfall amounts would be significant, but likely not torrential/flooding levels on Thurs-Sat. Can live with another 1-2" whereas 3-5" on top of the 3-5" many will get today and tomorrow would mean some likely significant flooding. Hoping this track verifies.

212535_5day_cone_with_line_and_wind.png
yep looks like we really dodge a bullet with Debbies waste...mainly have to get through tonight and that will be the worst as long as this projected track stays on target

Reactions: RU848789
Latest Debby remnants track has been shifted NW of our area, meaning rainfall amounts would be significant, but likely not torrential/flooding levels on Thurs-Sat. Can live with another 1-2" whereas 3-5" on top of the 3-5" many will get today and tomorrow would mean some likely significant flooding. Hoping this track verifies.

212535_5day_cone_with_line_and_wind.png
So State College is going to get the brunt of it? Now there’s something we can all agree on in a weather thread.

Reactions: Local Shill
Had dinner reservations for tonight in Highlands & just got a call cancelling as town is flooded & police have shut down Bay Ave. due to flooding from rain
Yeah. Was supposed to meet a friend for dinner tonight who lives in Highlands, and she couldn't get out due to the flooding.

Reactions: TRU2RU
yep, almost always is in these kinds of events in the summer - if the same thing happened in the winter with snow (it can't around here, but just saying if it did), people would want to string up their forecasters, lol.
The closest thing around here would be an inverted trough like the one that hit last winter. Basically a lake effect-esque band of 12+ inches, was right under that bad boy.

looks like just some light hit or miss showers today and thursday with high struggling to get to the mid 70s. Friday we see Debbies impact with some periods of rain throughout the day and at night. Perhaps an additional 1-2 inches of rain...probably will not be raining all day and there will likely be some sun as temps warm in the 80s but she is moving quicker and it should be out by saturday morning for most with sun returning and its going to end up a decent weekend after all with highs in the low 80s

it should be out by saturday morning for most with sun returning and its going to end up a decent weekend after all with highs in the low 80s

And lows in the mid 60s. It's been mid to upper 70s for most of the past month. If the humidity drops as well it will be great.

Looking forward to some better weather. Feels like we have been in the excessive heat zone for almost two months with a brief break here and there, no real good stretches of lower humidity.

And lows in the mid 60s. It's been mid to upper 70s for most of the past month. If the humidity drops as well it will be great.

Looking forward to some better weather. Feels like we have been in the excessive heat zone for almost two months with a brief break here and there, no real good stretches of lower humidity.

Slightly cooler, drier, weather would be nice. And, more and more, I find Fall to be my favorite season of the year, the crisp cool air overnight, leaves changing colors, etc.

But I've pretty much acclimated to the heat and humidity at this point, so I'm in no hurry. I'll enjoy these final days of summer for what they are.

rain gauge had a total of 6 inches, Montclair/Clifton border this morning

I always seem to get higher than reported measurements....moved the gauge well away from anything that might have affected the reading

Slightly cooler, drier, weather would be nice. And, more and more, I find Fall to be my favorite season of the year, the crisp cool air overnight, leaves changing colors, etc.

But I've pretty much acclimated to the heat and humidity at this point, so I'm in no hurry. I'll enjoy these final days of summer for what they are.
I don't despise it. I still chill in the yard after work no matter how hot it is, but it would be nice to have it be a little more comfortable when going out for a walk in the morning or just doing whatever. Fall has turned into one one of the best seasons around here with comfortable warmth extending through October.

Reactions: mildone
With the misting rain and the cooler temps feels like I’m in Seattle or Ireland right now.

And considering where I actually am, I’ll go with the latter.☘️

Reactions: RUPete
Even with heat and humidity the last month we havent had that many sunny days..alot of most cloudy smoky type days or where clouds build in afternoon

Weekends started out great in June but downhill somewhat besides the last weekend in July

Even with heat and humidity the last month we havent had that many sunny days..alot of most cloudy smoky type days or where clouds build in afternoon

Weekends started out great in June but downhill somewhat besides the last weekend in July
Where have you been? There has been burning sun at times, but I’ll grant you the weather has been changeable. I don’t remember any prolonged gray stretches outside of this one.

Reactions: Scarlet4Shore
looks like just some light hit or miss showers today and thursday with high struggling to get to the mid 70s. Friday we see Debbies impact with some periods of rain throughout the day and at night. Perhaps an additional 1-2 inches of rain...probably will not be raining all day and there will likely be some sun as temps warm in the 80s but she is moving quicker and it should be out by saturday morning for most with sun returning and its going to end up a decent weekend after all with highs in the low 80s
It's Debby, not Debbie.

Reactions: dconifer
Today was perfect if you like mild/cloudy (but not rainy) conditions, like I do, as I don't love the heat and I don't have to worry about sunburn when it's overcast. First time I've played a round of disc golf without being drenched in sweat in probably 2 months. If I were in charge, almost every day outside of winter would be 65F and cloudy, without rain, lol.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Where have you been? There has been burning sun at times, but I’ll grant you the weather has been changeable. I don’t remember any prolonged gray stretches outside of this one.

Ive been working in it everyday. Too many clouds the past 3 weeks with unsettled conditions overall

Thankfully at least a 5 day dry stretch possibly more beginning Saturday morning. Sun and low dews

Nice summary of the expected impacts in our region from Tropical Storm Debby as it moves well inland of the coast from SC to Canada over the next 2 days, putting us on the east side of the track, which means less rain than to our west (1-2" for most, but locally greater amounts possible, especially NW of 95), but more chance of high winds and severe weather, including a chance for isolated weak tornadoes.

After that, a gorgeous run of seasonable (highs in the low/mid-80 and lows in the 60s), comfortable humidity (dewpoints in the low 60s) weather from Saturday through most of next week. We deserve a break, lol.

454403693_895556639263768_1311734404240231741_n.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT