ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Big Heatwave/EDIT: Debbie passes well to west but band of showers and squall line and tornado watch to get thru

Definitely need a good, soaking rain - things are really getting dry out there.
definitely...hope we get an inch or two without any wind damage

weekend also offering scattered storm chances so its not going to be a perfect weekend but it wont be raining all the time, still need to iron out those details

weekend also offering scattered storm chances so its not going to be a perfect weekend but it wont be raining all the time, still need to iron out those details
Don't be screwing up my Saturday, at least daytime, @bac2therac 😁
Atlantic and Cape May counties.

Agree about hoping against more winds with tomorrow’s storms. I wonder what was weakened by yesterday’s winds. I say that because as I was sitting out back tonight relaxing I saw a giant branch break off and drop in a neighbor’s yard. Really no wind when it happened.

Agree about hoping against more winds with tomorrow’s storms. I wonder what was weakened by yesterday’s winds. I say that because as I was sitting out back tonight relaxing I saw a giant branch break off and drop in a neighbor’s yard. Really no wind when it happened.
Rotting trees/limbs fall all the time. And in some instances limbs fall simply from hitting its max weight. I had a giant 150+ year old tree in Morrisville PA. The biggest branch broke off and hit my neighbor's house... across the street! It was a beautiful day.

Rotting trees/limbs fall all the time. And in some instances limbs fall simply from hitting its max weight. I had a giant 150+ year old tree in Morrisville PA. The biggest branch broke off and hit my neighbor's house... across the street! It was a beautiful day.
True. Sometimes there is just too much rot or internal damage from insects not visible to the naked eye and things just drop. I thought this one was a little weird tonight as it came after a moderate breeze but nothing crazy. Yesterday’s winds were nuts.

True. Sometimes there is just too much rot or internal damage from insects not visible to the naked eye and things just drop. I thought this one was a little weird tonight as it came after a moderate breeze but nothing crazy. Yesterday’s winds were nuts.
I rode my bike into work yesterday. 6:30 no winds. 4pm brutal ride in to the wind heading back. I knew it was coming, just a good training ride. Just 10 miles each way, the 10 back were work.
Short story as I posted this before. Philly had a International Cycling Event for 25 years and the riders (big names!) were about 4 miles out and a sycamore tree fell along the route across the road with people all over the place. Nobody got hurt. The tree split into three with two big trunk pieces completely covering the rode. Spectators, lots of them, like myself moved both off the road. And Parks workers cleaned the road with backpack blowers. There wasn't an ounce of wind. Set a 20 year record for time that was broken a year or two later

Reactions: RUPete
Sat in the car for a bit at lunch; even in the shade it was definitely significantly warmer than yesterday. Light breeze, but, again, not like yesterday.

Heated up quick but at least it won’t be sustained. Couple of nice days ahead.

96 thus far with heat index of 101
I was out driving around a bit to charge the battery in a car and the car was reporting 98F. Did a few miles dog walk and it was baking out there. Dog usually slows way up as we near home, finding something to sniff every couple feet, not wanting to go back inside.

Not today. At the end of this walk, the dog led the way up the street, up the walk and into the house. He was like: "screw this outdoor walking nonsense, I needz me my A/C".

I was out driving around a bit to charge the battery in a car and the car was reporting 98F. Did a few miles dog walk and it was baking out there. Dog usually slows way up as we near home, finding something to sniff every couple feet, not wanting to go back inside.

Not today. At the end of this walk, the dog led the way up the street, up the walk and into the house. He was like: "screw this outdoor walking nonsense, I needz me my A/C".

I'm sure you're keeping your sheep closely shorn in this weather, right?

Had to change a tire in this heat around 6:15 this evening. Blech!

This warning wasn't that pleasant:
This is an EXTREMELY DANGEROUS SITUATION. This storm is producing widespread wind damage across western New Jersey. SEEK SHELTER NOW inside a sturdy structure and stay away from windows.

• Wow
Reactions: fsg2
I rode my bike into work yesterday. 6:30 no winds. 4pm brutal ride in to the wind heading back. I knew it was coming, just a good training ride. Just 10 miles each way, the 10 back were work.
Short story as I posted this before. Philly had an International Cycling Event for 25 years and the riders (big names!) were about 4 miles out and a sycamore tree fell along the route across the road with people all over the place. Nobody got hurt. The tree split into three with two big trunk pieces completely covering the rode. Spectators, lots of them, like myself moved both off the road. And Parks workers cleaned the road with backpack blowers. There wasn't an ounce of wind. Set a 20 year record for time that was broken a year or two later
Since you love cycling obviously, I hope that you check out all the new cycling venues around Arkansas.

Are you referring to mountain biking venues? Can you point to the b st places?
Northwest Arkansas is quickly becoming a haven for cycling enthusiasts due to a collaboration of many interested parties, notably Sam Walton’s grandchildren. In late September the Arkansas Tandem Rally takes place. In late October(a beautiful time in the Ozarks) the Chinkapin Hollow Gravel Grinder takes place with trail rides of 24, 42, 63, or 109 miles.

Outdoor cycling/mountain biking is drawing state money and the Walton family is really pushing forward with it as well. I hope that you take an opportunity to explore it as well. My arthritic knees and lack of any notable athletic ability will keep me on the sidelines, however.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Northwest Arkansas is quickly becoming a haven for cycling enthusiasts due to a collaboration of many interested parties, notably Sam Walton’s grandchildren. In late September the Arkansas Tandem Rally takes place. In late October(a beautiful time in the Ozarks) the Chinkapin Hollow Gravel Grinder takes place with trail rides of 24, 42, 63, or 109 miles.

Outdoor cycling/mountain biking is drawing state money and the Walton family is really pushing forward with it as well. I hope that you take an opportunity to explore it as well. My arthritic knees and lack of any notable athletic ability will keep me on the sidelines, however.
Thanks. Will have to do more research. Looks like a lot of wide and straight gravel paths. I'm more into what is referred to as more of "single track" and technical riding. But probably more than what I see in a quick search.

A quick picture of the Chinkapin Hollow Gravel Grinder path:

iu

This is more my style (Llama trail, Sedona):

p4pb13290936.jpg

Templeton Trail:
img_0093.jpg

Allaire Trails in NJ:

maxresdefault.jpg

Thanks. Will have to do more research. Looks like a lot of wide and straight gravel paths. I'm more into what is referred to as more of "single track" and technical riding. But probably more than what I see in a quick search.

iu

p4pb13290936.jpg

Templeton Trail:
img_0093.jpg

Allaire Trails in NJ:

maxresdefault.jpg

Bentonville has built itself into a legit mtb destination. Believe other places in Ark have followed their lead.

Haven't been, but it's put Ark on the destination list for me. A few days there followed by visiting some of the state's hot springs sounds about right.

A tandem rally? That's awesome! I've road a tandem in the MS Ride 75 miles each way to and from Ocean City NJ. Three tandems, 6 teams switching half way (with 2 backup teams) leading hundreds of people at a 20/22 mph pace. You look back and you can't see the end. Crazy, crazy stuff. But never be the guy in seat #2 the day after the lead guy had Mexican and shell fish the night before at Yesterday's. But it was delicious!! 🤣

Reactions: Southern Gentleman
Yesterday's storms led to 50K in power outages and, sadly, one death in East Orange (a father of one and his wife pregnant with another child) from a falling tree while he was putting things away as the storm was hitting. Also, a couple in Hawthorne barely escaped serious injury or worse as a tree fell, slicing right through half of the house, but just missing them.

Could be some serious storms late Sat (daylight likely dry) and Sunday (storms could hit any time, but not a washout per se), after a Top Ten day tomorrow with temps in the 70s, clear skies and low humidity.

https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news/new-jersey-severe-weather-east-orange-storm-death/

iu

p4pb13290936.jpg

Templeton Trail:
img_0093.jpg

Allaire Trails in NJ:

maxresdefault.jpg
Wow. You ride over landscapes like in the second picture? Cool. That's new to me...

Wow. You ride over landscapes like in the second picture? Cool. That's new to me...
It's not as hard as a it looks in the picture. The funny thing is I'm a clutz on ice skates and roller skates. The terrain is very fun to ride. Not nearly as fun in NJ, but different. Here's another favorite. Never feels like exercise, even in 110 heat.

Thunder-Mountain-Bikes.jpg

Reactions: Postman_1 and fsg2
Started the week hiking the Appalachian Trail from Hanover NH southbound into and thru VT, but temps in the low 90s quickly caught up to me and my 30-lb pack weight. Couldn't drink enough water and electrolytes. Sweating buckets. Exhausting. Cramping. After just 12 miles, I bailed. And recalibrated, opting to lighten the pack to 10 lbs, with just essentials for day hiking (vs a full-on backpacking setup). Anyway, made the best of it, now just hitting the highlights of VT's AT instead of the whole of the trail. Tonight I'm in Killington where the overnight low is expected to be 44°F. Crazy....

By the way, had supper tonight at McGrath's Irish Pub which is in the legendary "Inn at the Long Trail." And... what to I see displayed on the wall behind the bar with other sports memorabilia? A 70's era RUTGERS pennant. Well, RU RAH RAH....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT