ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Big Heatwave/EDIT: Debbie passes well to west but band of showers and squall line and tornado watch to get thru

exceeding the ordinary....does that mean anything above normal can qualify as extreme. Kathy seems to think an ordinary heatwave in late June is extreme

Reactions: RUTGERS95
A whole bunch of non scientists are going around calling any kind of weather EXTREME events to push agenda
Oh no! Are they trying to sap your precious boldly fluids? 🫨

No, no… wait a sec... It’s the immensely extreme heat sapping your precious bodily fluids. Duh.

I don't even know what 'dew point' is. Do I win?
Well, dew point is the temperature the atmosphere needs to be cooled to (at constant pressure) in order to achieve an atmosphere which is fully saturated with water vapor, meaning the relative humidity has reached 100%. At this point the air cannot hold more water in the vapor phase and, typically, when the ground is slightly cooler than the air (common), the saturated air in contact with that cooler surface will result in condensation of some of that water vapor, resulting in liquid water or dew on the ground. If the ground temp were at or below freezing with a saturated atmosphere, the water vapor would be deposited onto that ground in solid form, i.e. frost. 😉

Well, dew point is the temperature the atmosphere needs to be cooled to (at constant pressure) in order to achieve an atmosphere which is fully saturated with water vapor, meaning the relative humidity has reached 100%. At this point the air cannot hold more water in the vapor phase and, typically, when the ground is slightly cooler than the air (common), the saturated air in contact with that cooler surface will result in condensation of some of that water vapor, resulting in liquid water or dew on the ground. If the ground temp were at or below freezing with a saturated atmosphere, the water vapor would be deposited onto that ground in solid form, i.e. frost. 😉
Huh. And here I was thinking it was the point at which a woman knows she really likes someone.

Reactions: RU848789
“We can no longer sit back and let the agendists agendize the agenda seeking to sap our precious bodily fluids.”

- Dr. Baclove

Last edited:
Asbury Press had run that story earlier today that we would get another round of storms this evening, but can't find it now. If the radar loop is accurate, it looks like it will get interesting after 7 p.m. in South Monmouth/Ocean. We need the rain. Lawns are brown.

Hardly mowing and loving it. Let it stay brown lol.

Nice cool breeze this morning in OC
looks pretty foggy down the shore right now...we shall see if it burns off, inland its mainly cloudy but nws bumped the highs today in central jersey to mid 90s so I guess they are expecting some sun to break out later. Also while there is a chance of storms again today, it does not look widespread as earlier thought

Reactions: newell138
next week we watch the potential to get Beryl's waste in the Wednesday/Thursday time frame that could give us some much needed torrential downpours

Hardly mowing and loving it. Let it stay brown lol.

200w.gif

91 with a heat index of 109

officially marking the 2nd heatwave of the season

dews are in the mid to upper 70s throughout the state

I've cleaned up some of the political posts in this thread and am giving fair warning to @BossNJ, @bac2therac, @rudad02 - next time you'll be banned from the thread. If you think a post is political in nature, do NOT reply to it, report it so we can review it. I've only cleaned up the recent posts, earlier posts may still be there, but I'm trying to enjoy my 4th of July weekend, hot as it is.

Currently registering 86° here, but with 78% humidity. UGH!

next week we watch the potential to get Beryl's waste in the Wednesday/Thursday time frame that could give us some much needed torrential downpours
I fly into Newark at 3:30 on Wednesday. I can almost guarantee given my recent flight luck that Beryl’s remnants will be centered over EWR at that exact time.

Just walked back from church and it’s nasty out there. This heat feels worse than the previous heat wave.

I don't understand those that think this is normal. These are record breaking heat and humidity for weeks at a time. Please show me specific years when this has have been a regular experience!

Just walked back from church and it’s nasty out there. This heat feels worse than the previous heat wave.

It's the humidity. Weather just now on Ch. 7 said dew point at Toms River is 80. 92 and 75 dew point here in Bergen right now.

Reactions: RUPete
I don't understand those that think this is normal. These are record breaking heat and humidity for weeks at a time. Please show me specific years when this has have been a regular experience!

This not normal, but there was one summer in the 2010s that was this bad. Not going to look it up.

Almost everywhere in the news, record breaking heat and humidity in Mexico, Southwest and South US,Greece, Italy, UK, India, China, Australia, Pakistan. Nothing new.

Who care about a little heat in NJ? These locations are getting 105-120 degree temperatures when NJ only gets 90 degrees.

Rained hard and heavy in Wall, made a bunch of nuisance fire alarm and wires down fire calls. Still hot as Hades here and humid. I usually don't let heat bother me, but skipping my mountain bike ride today
Air quality blows. Wouldn’t be enjoyable.

there have been other periods.....for very hot but drier the 30s were something else where many records were set. In Nj there have been very few high temperature records set at all over the past month

thats because of the dews...last heatwave which was 7 days, there were only a couple days were dews put the heat index over 100. This time we had 3 in a row....and this heatwave looks to continue through Tuesday and now possibly Wednesday so this could end up a 7 day heatwave too....tomorrow we might get a bit of a break, still hot in low to mid 90s but perhaps not as oppressive with the dews and humidity

Just got home from the Cape where high temps ranged from 68-75 for the past week. WTF is this???

Rained hard and heavy in Wall, made a bunch of nuisance fire alarm and wires down fire calls. Still hot as Hades here and humid. I usually don't let heat bother me, but skipping my mountain bike ride today

You prefer the dry Sedona heat with barely any shade or humid NJ heat with far more shade?

Was just pondering how I used to bike in that humid mid-90s Jersey heat. Besides being decades younger, shade made a huge difference, I think.

You prefer the dry Sedona heat with barely any shade or humid NJ heat with far more shade?

Was just pondering how I used to bike in that humid mid-90s Jersey heat. Besides being decades younger, shade made a huge difference, I think.
Sedona every day. Difference is the mornings are cool in the desert. It was miserable at 7 am here. Ran 3 fire calls. In gear for 20 minutes and drenched with sweat.

Reactions: fsg2
Sedona every day. Difference is the mornings are cool in the desert. It was miserable at 7 am here. Ran 3 fire calls. In gear for 20 minutes and drenched with sweat.

Good point. I'm not a morning guy so no matter how hard I try, I'm always out there exactly in the hottest part of the day.

Can't even imagine that kinda heat in fire gear.

Reactions: Knight Shift
well highs of 92, 93, 95 are not extremely..fairly run of the mill

what is rare are the dews over 80
You seem extremely opposed to admitting NJ heat indexes this high are extreme weather for NJ.

I would be extremely remiss if I didn’t point out that I only have one agenda here: having extreme fun. 😀

And now, having accomplished my agenda, I’m taking the dog out for another walk sauna.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT