ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Big Heatwave/EDIT: Debbie passes well to west but band of showers and squall line and tornado watch to get thru

3 baseball games today
just stay hydrated and another normal day with a bit of heat

You prefer the dry Sedona heat with barely any shade or humid NJ heat with far more shade?

Was just pondering how I used to bike in that humid mid-90s Jersey heat. Besides being decades younger, shade made a huge difference, I think.
The sports I play these days are disc golf (a lot), soccer (weekly), softball (weekly) and regular golf (occasionally) and there's no doubt that shade makes a huge difference for me. I notice it most between disc golf, which usually has many/most holes in the woods with shade, and soccer. Played disc golf yesterday morning from about 9-11 am and it wasn't too bad even though it was very humid and warm, as there was a fair amount of shade. But today, playing soccer from 8:30-10 am in similar weather was brutal when the sun was out. Of course running in soccer makes a difference, although I almost always play keeper, so not that much running.

3 baseball games today
just stay hydrated and another normal day with a bit of heat
Today should just be garden variety summer heat and humidity. Partly Sunny with highs in low 90s but heat indices staying in the mid to upper 90s rather than 110 plus of yesterday

Day 4 of the heatwave rollson. Expect to add at least 2 if not 3 more days

• Sad
Reactions: Jm0513
The sports I play these days are disc golf (a lot), soccer (weekly), softball (weekly) and regular golf (occasionally) and there's no doubt that shade makes a huge difference for me. I notice it most between disc golf, which usually has many/most holes in the woods with shade, and soccer. Played disc golf yesterday morning from about 9-11 am and it wasn't too bad even though it was very humid and warm, as there was a fair amount of shade. But today, playing soccer from 8:30-10 am in similar weather was brutal when the sun was out. Of course running in soccer makes a difference, although I almost always play keeper, so not that much running.
"Ten degrees cooler in the shade". I'm not sure where that saying came from or if it's actually 10 degrees but it seems about right.

Reactions: thegock and fsg2

Yeah, was remembering as a kid in Jersey spending full days outside without much or any sunscreen.

With the utter lack of that kind of shade out west, I basically need to put it on to walk to the mailbox.

Relentless sun makes it near impossible to stay hydrated. Drank a full gallon of water and gatorade when working outside the house last weekend and still not close to hydrated. I can't even make myself drink that much!

Not complaining because I love the local weather, but was just thinking about the vast difference between the two in terms of sun exposure.

Reactions: RU848789
Today should just be garden variety summer heat and humidity. Partly Sunny with highs in low 90s but heat indices staying in the mid to upper 90s rather than 110 plus of yesterday

Day 4 of the heatwave rollson. Expect to add at least 2 if not 3 more days
yeah today was definitely less humid and just heat. Yesterday was full on humidity but kids handled it well.

Yeah, was remembering as a kid in Jersey spending full days outside without much or any sunscreen.

With the utter lack of that kind of shade out west, I basically need to put it on to walk to the mailbox.

Relentless sun makes it near impossible to stay hydrated. Drank a full gallon of water and gatorade when working outside the house last weekend and still not close to hydrated. I can't even make myself drink that much!

Not complaining because I love the local weather, but was just thinking about the vast difference between the two in terms of sun exposure.
best way to hydrate is to drink the night before and eat pickles:) the next day, you won't lose as much and your muscles won't cramp etc..

age man, age get's everyone

Reactions: fsg2
best way to hydrate is to drink the night before and eat pickles:) the next day, you won't lose as much and your muscles won't cramp etc..

age man, age get's everyone

Haha ..got that age thing right.

Gonna try the day before pickles. Eat 'em, or drink the brine, after sometimes, haven't tried before.

Pickle juice. I'll pass. Who comes up with this stuff?
When doing long bike rides (40-60 miles) it's obviously needed to keep hydrating. It's too late if you suddenly feel very thirsty. You're done for the day.
Have been using Pedialyte and Gatorade this year for the first time So far so good. Have seen some improvement this year about not bonking in the heat.
Another way to beat the heat is head to the shore where is close to 20 degrees cooler!

Pickle juice. I'll pass. Who comes up with this stuff?
When doing long bike rides (40-60 miles) it's obviously needed to keep hydrating. It's too late if you suddenly feel very thirsty. You're done for the day.
Have been using Pedialyte and Gatorade this year for the first time So far so good. Have seen some improvement this year about not bonking in the heat.
Another way to beat the heat is head to the shore where is close to 20 degrees cooler!
Simple
Pickles have high sodium,content, aka salt
Salt helps retain water in the body

They used to sell salt tablets in the old days
Be warned too much can raise blood pressure

Reactions: RU205 and Ronnie_B
Have been working outside since I was like 17. I have always been able to take the heat but this year in particular I noticed at 62 my heat tolerance has decreased . But I'd still deal with the heat than the cold. BTW, pickle juice is also good for rhododendrons. My neighbor laughed at me when he asked why his rhody hasn't bloomed in 3 years. I told him add pickle juice. This year it went to full bloom.

Simple

That's my point. This is old school but not better. Why are people resurrecting stuff their grandparents did "back in the day?"

Simple

yup
little trick we picked up playing summer ball in Florida.

One of the side effects of lil Beryl passing well to the east of SA…besides not a drop of water (boy disnthey screw that forecast, parenthetically) is the rare refreshing July north wind! So far this summer my brother in Rhode Island has had a full week of days hotter there than here…😎

because it works that's why
Does it? Not a lot of science behind it. But today there are tons of drinks with a proven scientific formula. Besides who want to drink pickle juice.
Just because your grand pappy said it works doesn't mean it does a great job. Hell, your grand pappy used a crank to start the car, of course it worked but it's a lot easier today with a push of the button.

Last edited:
brawndo_logo.jpg

its already 88 at 10:15 with a heat index of 95

90 plus Monday through Wednesday will extend the heatwave to 7 days. We shall see if Thursday can touch 90. Increasing shower and thunderstorm chances through the week with Wednesday through Friday the days to watch Wednesday through Friday and we wait to see what happens with Beryls waste. Models should anywhere from 1-3 inches of rain later this week

Does it? Not a lot of science behind it. But today there are tons of drinks with a proven scientific formula. Besides who want to drink pickle juice.
Just because your grand pappy said it works doesn't mean it does a great job. Hell, your grand pappy used a crank to start the car, of course it worked but it's a lot easier today with a push of the button.
I tell them to eat pickles and drink lots of water the night before, not the brine but yeah, drinking the juice is hardcore:)

we did this as kids and it flat out works. As I said, we learned this playing down in Florida and first hand, it works.

science behind it is salt, potassium, and retention of water and reduces likelihood of muscle cramps. Whether that is a 3.99 quart of brawdo or something else, I think it's basically all the same. Not really hard to figure out to be honest

and just like that, a 5 second quick google pops this up when ask about pickles/juice and sports performance

Believe what you want to believe but again no clear science just sales marketing.
Don't doubt it doesn't help but how much? I'll take modern, scientific electrolyte drinks over pickle juice.
Good hydration is a lot more then stopping cramps.

Last edited:
Believe what you want to believe but again no clear science just sales marketing

I only believe what I know works and what I see with my own eyes. the 'science' behind it is pretty easy to comprehend, no voodoo to it. YMMV

another quick link on athletes and pickles

The big question everyone is asking is whether professional pickleball players drink pickle juice.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
I only believe what I know works and what I see with my own eyes. the 'science' behind it is pretty easy to comprehend, no voodoo to it. YMMV

another quick link on athletes and pickles

Yes, age old, like yelling "get off my lawn." 🤣
Don't doubt it doesn't help but how much? I'll take modern, scientific electrolyte drinks over pickle juice.
Good hydration is a lot more then stopping cramps. The pickle people only concentrate on that.

Yes, age old, like yelling "get off my lawn." 🤣
Good hydration is a lot more then stopping cramps. The pickle people only concentrate on that.
100% but you have professional athletes stating they stay hydrated longer, don't get cramps, need to drink less etc etc. and the ohio state wexler institute already told you that it's equivalent. Not sure what is hard to see. salt (electrolyte), potassium, water which is what most of the 'sport drinks' are. The KEY is to do this the night before and not when you're sweating profusely on the field.

all I'm saying is eat a pickle the night before or don't, makes no difference to me what people and kids do. I know first hand it works and have seen it in other players. Are there better things, absolutely as I'd be shocked if there were not given the technology today. Putting salt into the Gatorade isn't some new thing nor are salt tablets and a glass of water.

what's old is new and new is old

Pickle juice doesn't have all the sugar of gatorade. Just like coconut water. Never liked the taste of coconut water (except the flavors, which were then loaded with sugar), but I love salty foods so pickles are a natural.

I drink gatorade and body armor, too. Also like sugar-free nuun.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT