ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Big Heatwave/EDIT: Debbie passes well to west but band of showers and squall line and tornado watch to get thru

Started the week hiking the Appalachian Trail from Hanover NH southbound into and thru VT, but temps in the low 90s quickly caught up to me and my 30-lb pack weight. Couldn't drink enough water and electrolytes. Sweating buckets. Exhausting. Cramping. After just 12 miles, I bailed. And recalibrated, opting to lighten the pack to 10 lbs, with just essentials for day hiking (vs a full-on backpacking setup). Anyway, made the best of it, now just hitting the highlights of VT's AT instead of the whole of the trail. Tonight I'm in Killington where the overnight low is expected to be 44°F. Crazy....

By the way, had supper tonight at McGrath's Irish Pub which is in the legendary "Inn at the Long Trail." And... what to I see displayed on the wall behind the bar with other sports memorabilia? A 70's era RUTGERS pennant. Well, RU RAH RAH....

That's the place built into the rock, right?

Always meant to get there.

Started the week hiking the Appalachian Trail from Hanover NH southbound into and thru VT, but temps in the low 90s quickly caught up to me and my 30-lb pack weight. Couldn't drink enough water and electrolytes. Sweating buckets. Exhausting. Cramping. After just 12 miles, I bailed. And recalibrated, opting to lighten the pack to 10 lbs, with just essentials for day hiking (vs a full-on backpacking setup). Anyway, made the best of it, now just hitting the highlights of VT's AT instead of the whole of the trail. Tonight I'm in Killington where the overnight low is expected to be 44°F. Crazy....

By the way, had supper tonight at McGrath's Irish Pub which is in the legendary "Inn at the Long Trail." And... what to I see displayed on the wall behind the bar with other sports memorabilia? A 70's era RUTGERS pennant. Well, RU RAH RAH....
Wow, Killington!!! My bro lives there. Weed is legal there, and you can be hooked up with a supply if you partake (I don't).
Be careful with the heat, and seems like you know what you are doing. Hydration is key!
Hikers have died in Arizona in the heat. Mostly East Coast people who don't understand how hot it gets in the desert sun with no shade. 44 year old woman died while hiking with her husband and children.

Reactions: RUinPinehurst
Wow, Killington!!! My bro lives there. Weed is legal there, and you can be hooked up with a supply if you partake (I don't).
Be careful with the heat, and seems like you know what you are doing. Hydration is key!
Hikers have died in Arizona in the heat. Mostly East Coast people who don't understand how hot it gets in the desert sun with no shade. 44 year old woman died while hiking with her husband and children.

LOL. No weed for me. I don't even drink alcohol beyond CoorsLight when hiking, and two is my limit, usually with Chinese or Mexican takeout or Pizza or a big ol' Cheeseburger. Two or three weeks of hiking and I'll drop close to 10 lbs, and I'm pretty lean, as is. Typically burn 5000 calories a day. And it's hard to eat 3000 calories, especially in high temps. Sounds like fun, ay?

Reactions: Knight Shift
LOL. No weed for me. I don't even drink alcohol beyond CoorsLight when hiking, and two is my limit, usually with Chinese or Mexican takeout or Pizza or a big ol' Cheeseburger. Two or three weeks of hiking and I'll drop close to 10 lbs, and I'm pretty lean, as is. Typically burn 5000 calories a day. And it's hard to eat 3000 calories, especially in high temps. Sounds like fun, ay?
Sounds like my 7-10 trips to Sedona with mountain bike rides and hikes mixed in. I'm jealous of you right now.

Last edited:
Severe t-storm warnings (orange) are already up for large parts of NWNJ/EPA with severe weather ongoing (high winds, heavy rains, lightning, etc.) and the severe weather is very likely to reach the 95-corridor from Philly to NYC in the next ~45-60 minutes, as a watch is up for the whole region (mauve). Keep an eye to the sky and on the radar...

449702056_10228270349377929_434119933667127962_n.jpg

Last night in Margate was pretty crazy. Thunderstorms ran a train on us for about 3-4 hours starting about 5am. Some of the loudest thunder I have ever heard. More tonight!

Flash flood warning is up for eastern Hunterdon, much of Morris and Somerset and NE Middlesex (NWS-Philly), as well as most of NENJ/NYC (NWS-NYC) as 1.5-2.5" of rain has fallen and there might be another 0.5-1", so there has been some urban/road flooding. Should be over (the very heavy rain) for most of the 95 corridor in the next 15-30 minutes.

https://forecast.weather.gov/wwamap/wwatxtget.php?cwa=PHI&wwa=flash flood warning

very cool
have always wanted to walk the trail

Heat indicies are well over 100 approaching 110 in some spots in NJ today...more sun that predicted is pushing temps to low to mid 90s especially south of Trenton.

This will likely end up being the 2nd day of what could be a 5-7 day heatwave that will see temps above 90 through the weekend and into at least Monday of next week

much different then our last heawave which was more dry and didnt have as many thunderstorm chances as this one. T storm chances tonight, tomorrow afternoon and night and then again probably Tuesday and much of next week there on

Heat indicies are well over 100 approaching 110 in some spots in NJ today...more sun that predicted is pushing temps to low to mid 90s especially south of Trenton.

This will likely end up being the 2nd day of what could be a 5-7 day heatwave that will see temps above 90 through the weekend and into at least Monday of next week

much different then our last heawave which was more dry and didnt have as many thunderstorm chances as this one. T storm chances tonight, tomorrow afternoon and night and then again probably Tuesday and much of next week there on

No kidding. It's 90 in Bergen, but the killer is the 74 dew point for the second day in a row.

Was out walking the dog about 90 minutes ago, who is mostly black with some brown streaks, and he was worn out and ready for a/c and water after only about a mile. Practically dragged me back into the house.

I wasn’t complaining, I was pretty worn out too. The humidity was killer.

No kidding. It's 90 in Bergen, but the killer is the 74 dew point for the second day in a row.
This is what other parts of the country has been experiencing for 2-4 weeks. I think we get 1-2 weeks and hope no more.

The humidity is about 25-50% of the humidity in Houston from my experience.

I don’t know if there’s climate change but I read that part of Sicily turning into desert. I guess the heat of Africa moving North and several countries are now experiencing 120-125 degrees.

desert is encroaching across Sicily, the largest and most populous island in the Mediterranean, where a European temperature high of 48.8C was recorded in 2021. Rainfall is down by more than 40% since 2003. In the last six months of 2023, just 150mm of rain fell.

“By 2030, a third of the territory of Sicily will become a desert, comparable to the lands of Tunisia and Libya,” Mulder said. “The entire strip facing the Sicilian Channel [waters separating Sicily from Africa] is doomed to desertification. The ancient Arabs who once inhabited the island had successfully devised ways to manage water. However, these old aqueducts have not been maintained or updated. Sicily is now facing the concrete consequences of decades of mismanagement of water resources.”

Last edited:
Had to run out to get a propane tank refilled, car was registering 93° out there. Higher up we've been around 88° most of the day.

Was out walking the dog about 90 minutes ago, who is mostly black with some brown streaks, and he was worn out and ready for a/c and water after only about a mile. Practically dragged me back into the house.

I wasn’t complaining, I was pretty worn out too. The humidity was killer.
I had to go back to the Township house today to do some yardwork and cut the grass. When I was finishing the lawn, I realized that I am old. I did wash two vehicles after that, though. Now I am completely wiped. Hot out there. So much hotter up here in Gloucester County than down in Atlantic City...

Reactions: mildone
“By 2030, a third of the territory of Sicily will become a desert, comparable to the lands of Tunisia and Libya,” Mulder said. “The entire strip facing the Sicilian Channel [waters separating Sicily from Africa] is doomed to desertification. The ancient Arabs who once inhabited the island had successfully devised ways to manage water. However, these old aqueducts have not been maintained or updated. Sicily is now facing the concrete consequences of decades of mismanagement of water resources.”
So, wait? This happened before in our Earth's history but people will claim man made climate change is the reason this time?

Reactions: bac2therac
I had to go back to the Township house today to do some yardwork and cut the grass. When I was finishing the lawn, I realized that I am old. I did wash two vehicles after that, though. Now I am completely wiped. Hot out there. So much hotter up here in Gloucester County than down in Atlantic City...
Getting old might suck. But it beats the alternative. So far, at least. 🙂

Yep, some brutal, record heat across much of the West/Southwest and even into the Southeast. Death Valley could hit 130F over the next few days (all-time record is 134F, there, although that has been questioned by many over the years) and Las Vegas could break their all-time record high of 117F and other cities could also set all-time records. Wildfires are raging throughout California too. We won't be setting any records here, but it'll be hot and sultry - just had a nice t-storm here to temporarily cool things off.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/weathe...eak-world-record-blistering-heatwa-rcna160401

Yep, some brutal, record heat across much of the West/Southwest and even into the Southeast. Death Valley could hit 130F over the next few days (all-time record is 134F, there, although that has been questioned by many over the years) and Las Vegas could break their all-time record high of 117F and other cities could also set all-time records. Wildfires are raging throughout California too. We won't be setting any records here, but it'll be hot and sultry - just had a nice t-storm here to temporarily cool things off.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/weathe...eak-world-record-blistering-heatwa-rcna160401
Sultry. Like Olivia Wilde. Mmmmmmm.

Yeah they like to throw around words like extreme but we have always had this...they memoryholed the 1930s
Have we had this type of humidity this early?? Isn't this type of humidity extremely rare at anytime on the PA/NJ?
Remember it's not the heat, it's the humidity! 🤣

Dew points of 80 plus are almost unheard of but here we are
Sounds extreme.
Yeah they like to throw around words like extreme but we have always had this...they memoryholed the 1930s
But not extreme?

All kidding aside, global warming is real, but it doesn't mean it wasn't hot at times in the past or that it won't be cold and snowy at times in the future or that it's always going to be warmer than normal every day...but it does mean that the overall average global temps (and temps in our area of course) are unequivocally warmer than they were 30, 50, 100 years ago and they're continuing to rise, which is why we see far more warm temp records than cold (both on land and in the ocean) and why people are rightly concerned about the medium term impacts of such warming over the next 50+ years.

Reactions: Devilsfan118
Except ...you were the one that called it extreme.
Strange, if he doesn’t think anything is different, why is he continually posting about the humidity and temperature? I bet he can’t mow the lawn the same as a 70 degree day! I don’t care since when it gets hot, I just stay in my air conditioned house. I like that the weather just gets up to about 90 degree but don’t want the 110 degrees that the South gets but I might expect it 7-10 more years,

Reactions: fsg2
Have we had this type of humidity this early?? Isn't this type of humidity extremely rare at anytime on the PA/NJ?
Remember it's not the heat, it's the humidity! 🤣

Yes, though obviously it's way above average. July is peak humidity. It can start in late June and carry over into August. 5-6 years ago it was worse. Read an article back then that an average July had 9 days with a dew point over 70 with 4-5 up to 75. That year it was 16 days at 70 or above with 9 at 75.

Sounds extreme.

But not extreme?

All kidding aside, global warming is real, but it doesn't mean it wasn't hot at times in the past or that it won't be cold and snowy at times in the future or that it's always going to be warmer than normal every day...but it does mean that the overall average global temps (and temps in our area of course) are unequivocally warmer than they were 30, 50, 100 years ago and they're continuing to rise, which is why we see far more warm temp records than cold (both on land and in the ocean) and why people are rightly concerned about the medium term impacts of such warming over the next 50+ years.
A whole bunch of non scientists are going around calling any kind of weather EXTREME events to push agenda

Where did i say extreme. The dew today in a few locations were rare..alnost unheard of but does happen. Its not some new extreme weather event that is caused by something else

FYI-

Extreme: : exceeding the ordinary, usual, or expected

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT