ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Big Heatwave/EDIT: Debbie passes well to west but band of showers and squall line and tornado watch to get thru

Pickle juice doesn't have all the sugar of gatorade. Just like coconut water. Never liked the taste of coconut water (except the flavors, which were then loaded with sugar), but I love salty foods so pickles are a natural.

I drink gatorade and body armor, too. Also like sugar-free nuun.
I have to admit, I love the coconut water

Reactions: fsg2 and Vlife
Reactions: RUTGERS95
this is the 2nd heatwave of the season. We had one in June and now most are in the 5th day of what looks to be a 7-8 day heatwave. The first heatwave lasted 7 days.

In honor of this thread, just took a nice, long swig outta the Vlasic jar.

Chased it with a sip of Mezzetta hot chilis juice - love the extra kick but gotta go easy on it since it's a skinny jar.

Reactions: RU848789
With regard to Beryl's impacts here, especially for the weekend, someone else asked that in the hurricane thread, so I'll post that info here.

There will be no direct impact, although the moisture plume from the remnant low, which will be well to our NW, will possibly feed some of the storms expected late in the week, possibly into Saturday. Current forecast for Saturday is hot with a low chance of showers, but there is some potential for heavier lines of showers than currently in the forecast, as per the forecaster discussion below and some models are showing 1-2" of rain from Friday afternoon through Saturday morning. Current forecast just has warm/hot and dry for Sunday.

https://forecast.weather.gov/produc...&format=CI&version=1&highlight=off&glossary=1

Friday into Saturday...Remnant low of Beryl should be well north and
weakening/filling by the day time on Friday. However, the previously
mentioned cold front will be stalling near or over our region. In
the mid and upper levels, a trailing trough will be approaching our
region in this period. The biggest concern I have with this period
of the forecast is the potential for heavy rain. Not only will
precipitable water values remain high (as there will be minimal dry
air advection between Thursday and Friday), but this set up has many
similarities to a Maddox Synoptic heavy rain event. The front
should be stationary (or very slow moving), it has a favored
orientation for these types of events, and the winds from 700 to 300
mb should be nearly parallel to the front. This could set the stage
for training storms capable of heavy downpours.

The main question remaining in terms of the threat specifically to
our region is how close the front will get before stalling. Some of
the latest deterministic guidance shows it stalling further west,
limiting the risk in our region. However, this is a relatively new
trend over the past few model runs, and there remains some models
depicting the front stalling over our region.

Saturday night into Sunday...Front should dissipate, and flow aloft
should become mostly zonal. While I can`t rule out some additional
storm development, by this point it is unlikely we will see
widespread thunderstorm coverage. Another mid an upper level trough
could approach as early as late Sunday, but confidence in the timing
of that feature is low at this time.

In honor of this thread, just took a nice, long swig outta the Vlasic jar.

Jovny approves!

1fbef-vstork.jpg

Reactions: fsg2
I don't like the heat, but it doesn't really limit what I do outdoors, although as I've gotten older I'm much more aware of staying hydrated. Older adults simply have more difficulty coping with the heat and are far more likely to suffer and die from heat-related illnesses, as per the article excerpted below.

And on top of that, average global temps have gone up about 2F over the last 100 years, which has exacerbated the risks from heat waves, which kill far more Americans than any other weather-related causes, including hurricanes, tornadoes, floods and cold weather, as per the Scientific American article below and the associated graphic from the NWS. It's why the article calls for FEMA to classify heat waves as disasters, so that impacted areas can qualify for disaster relief.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/heat-waves-need-femas-help/

weather_fatalities_2023.png

Studies show that it can be hard for even healthy older adults to tell when it’s too hot or if they’re dehydrated. Cognitive decline exacerbates these problems. Older bodies also hold more heat than younger ones when the temperature climbs. Glands don’t release as much sweat. The heart doesn’t circulate blood as well, so less heat is released from vessels in the skin. Systems from the cardiovascular to the immune struggle to compensate.

Older adults are likely to have chronic health conditions and to take medications that contribute to heat intolerance. Clinicians best serve patients when they stay abreast of the literature on risk factors and, when heat looms in the forecast, consider warning, checking in with, or adjusting relevant medications of the vulnerable, says Francesca Dominici, the Clarence James Gamble Professor of Biostatistics, Population, and Data Science at the Harvard Chan School.

https://magazine.hms.harvard.edu/.../effects-heat-older....

With regard to Beryl's impacts here, especially for the weekend, someone else asked that in the hurricane thread, so I'll post that info here.

There will be no direct impact, although the moisture plume from the remnant low, which will be well to our NW, will possibly feed some of the storms expected late in the week, possibly into Saturday. Current forecast for Saturday is hot with a low chance of showers, but there is some potential for heavier lines of showers than currently in the forecast, as per the forecaster discussion below and some models are showing 1-2" of rain from Friday afternoon through Saturday morning. Current forecast just has warm/hot and dry for Sunday.

https://forecast.weather.gov/produc...&format=CI&version=1&highlight=off&glossary=1

Friday into Saturday...Remnant low of Beryl should be well north and
weakening/filling by the day time on Friday. However, the previously
mentioned cold front will be stalling near or over our region. In
the mid and upper levels, a trailing trough will be approaching our
region in this period. The biggest concern I have with this period
of the forecast is the potential for heavy rain. Not only will
precipitable water values remain high (as there will be minimal dry
air advection between Thursday and Friday), but this set up has many
similarities to a Maddox Synoptic heavy rain event. The front
should be stationary (or very slow moving), it has a favored
orientation for these types of events, and the winds from 700 to 300
mb should be nearly parallel to the front. This could set the stage
for training storms capable of heavy downpours.

The main question remaining in terms of the threat specifically to
our region is how close the front will get before stalling. Some of
the latest deterministic guidance shows it stalling further west,
limiting the risk in our region. However, this is a relatively new
trend over the past few model runs, and there remains some models
depicting the front stalling over our region.

Saturday night into Sunday...Front should dissipate, and flow aloft
should become mostly zonal. While I can`t rule out some additional
storm development, by this point it is unlikely we will see
widespread thunderstorm coverage. Another mid an upper level trough
could approach as early as late Sunday, but confidence in the timing
of that feature is low at this time.
the latest Euro had the waste really far west....almost nothing for the area

still the models are all over the map so we really will not for a couple more days

the latest Euro had the waste really far west....almost nothing for the area

still the models are all over the map so we really will not for a couple more days
The 12Z Euro still has 1-1.5" of rain from Friday morning into Saturday morning, but very little after sunrise on Saturday. But yes, the models are still in flux with this setup, which is no surprise this far out. I have outdoor events Saturday and Sunday, so crossing fingers - Sat is iffy, while Sunday is looking good.

The 12Z Euro still has 1-1.5" of rain from Friday morning into Saturday morning, but very little after sunrise on Saturday. But yes, the models are still in flux with this setup, which is no surprise this far out. I have outdoor events Saturday and Sunday, so crossing fingers - Sat is iffy, while Sunday is looking good.
did you see 18z..only to friday morning but wipes out any of the wednesday/thursday rains from beryl

image.thumb.png.fc6a7d03a433ced8f880269bc29290a7.png

did you see 18z..only to friday morning but wipes out any of the wednesday/thursday rains from beryl

image.thumb.png.fc6a7d03a433ced8f880269bc29290a7.png
Yes, but I was only talking about Friday through Sunday - I haven't been paying much attention to before Friday, although the 0Z suite is still all over the map through Friday morning with precip, with the Euro being mostly dry but other models being somewhat to much wetter (CMC).

this is the 2nd heatwave of the season. We had one in June and now most are in the 5th day of what looks to be a 7-8 day heatwave. The first heatwave lasted 7 days.
Except for this Friday there is no relief for temperatures under 90 anytime soon in Philadelphia. Add in the persistent humidity this isn't a very fun summer so far.

Yes, but I was only talking about Friday through Sunday - I haven't been paying much attention to before Friday, although the 0Z suite is still all over the map through Friday morning with precip, with the Euro being mostly dry but other models being somewhat to much wetter (CMC).
yeah too early to call...in my observations of these kind of events with hurricane remnants it seems even if they are not modelled or forecasted well somehow we seem to get in on the rains

Except for this Friday there is no relief for temperatures under 90 anytime soon in Philadelphia. Add in the persistent humidity this isn't a very fun summer so far.
yep heatwave could make it to 8 days on Thursday, Friday/Saturday may only be in 80s but still quite humid. Low 90s return for Sunday and indications are next week could see low to mid 90s

bring bac those hazy lazy crazy days of summer.....

C’mon, it’s lots of fun. Just hot wet fun, is all. 😀

My daughter has echo'd this. She says it's the humidity that makes it bad.

The heat a couple weeks back didn't affect us here along the coast because of the southerly wind but felt it more yesterday. It's so humid we've had fog on and off since Sun night.

My daughter has echo'd this. She says it's the humidity that makes it bad.

The heat a couple weeks back didn't affect us here along the coast because of the southerly wind but felt it more yesterday. It's so humid we've had fog on and off since Sun night.
Yesterday you couldn't see the ocean from the Ocean City Boardwalk almost all day. The benefit there is they aren't coming close to 90.
I can easily handle temps in the mid 90s if it wasn't for this tropical humidity.
My days off are spent at the shore until this breaks. Could be sometime in September!!

Reactions: knightfan7
Nothing like summertime in the Delaware Valley. The valley concept meant nothing to me growing up there as a kid. I understand it now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT