ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Big Heatwave/EDIT: Debbie passes well to west but band of showers and squall line and tornado watch to get thru

Ouch

RU weather station is Sea Girt, a couple hundred yards from the ocean says 76 but feels warmer in the sun. Of course with the 20-25mph wind out of the south, it'll be cooler than just a mile inland.
Well yesterday was 98

Monday and Tuesday could see us hit 100 or above

Today's strong breeze made a huge difference to me. Still hot and oppressive, but doable. I've also adjusted after so many straight day of hot and humid.

Of course today I had to run the baseball elective at camp and then spend 3 hours helping out at the pool. There's nothing worse then standing on that pool deck without being able to go in.

I thought the heat was supposed to break today?
today meaning Thursday...dews only in the 60s and highs only around 90. We will see if we extend this heatwave to 8 but some locations may fall short today. You can already feel the difference this morning

Friday sees the dews and humidity rise and it will become stick with showers at any time but more likely in the afternoon and overnight...highs in low 80 perhaps higher depending on any peaks of sun

Saturday still offers a shot at showers in the morning but drying out with sun coming out as the day goes on. Highs will approach 90 if we do get that

Sunday here comes the heat again with highs at least in the low 90s

Monday thru Wednesday....HOT....highs 95-100

We should get 1-2 inches of rain before all is said and done and there will be some areas that could get 3. Lets see if the models are right or have egg on their faces

today meaning Thursday...dews only in the 60s and highs only around 90. We will see if we extend this heatwave to 8 but some locations may fall short toda You can already feel the difference this morning

Friday sees the dews and humidity rise and it will become stick with showers at any time but more likely in the afternoon and overnight...highs in low 80 perhaps higher depending on any peaks of sun

Saturday still offers a shot at showers in the morning but drying out with sun coming out as the day goes on. Highs will approach 90 if we do get that

We should get 1-2 inches of rain before all is said and done and there will be some areas that could get 3. Lets see if the models are right or have egg on their faces
Just opened the windows, can definitely feel the drop in humidity.

Edit: and there's the breeze. Feels nice.

Last edited:
today meaning Thursday...dews only in the 60s and highs only around 90. We will see if we extend this heatwave to 8 but some locations may fall short today. You can already feel the difference this morning

Going to the USA versus Mexico women’s game at Red Bull Arena on Saturday, plan on getting there around noon to start the tailgate with Game at 330

Are we looking at a washout, or will showers and before the festivities begin?

Going to the USA versus Mexico women’s game at Red Bull Arena on Saturday, plan on getting there around noon to start the tailgate with Game at 330

Are we looking at a washout, or will showers and before the festivities begin?
Game should be fine

Likely ok for tailgate..one or 2 models do have lingering morning showers...there is time to fine tune this fore ast

This morning was the first time in well over a week that the outside temperature was cooler than inside.

Family is back in West Amwell for the first time in a year, what have you done to deserve this weather!?
No clue, but clearly someone close to Mother Nature is pissed off. I can handle the temps, it’s the humidity/dew point lately that has been unbearable. It’s been a while since I can remember a summer this consistently bad.

My wife is complaining about the humidity
Told her ti get used to it as that’s Florida from April - October

If you thought this week was hot wait till next week as the oppressive heat reloads with temperatures soaring above 95 degrees from DC to NYC to Boston most of the week

450705004_886167410213870_7256711167021083330_n.jpg

Reactions: bac2therac
Heatwave over for me...failed to hit 90...only 89 today...heatwave ends at 7 days tying the first heatwave. Some areas did hit 90 or above today so there heatwave did become 8 days. I think the showers last night that dumped about .60 of rain was a factor.

The humidity definitely affects some people

Personally I don’t mind it but I can see why others would
about Saturday...the euro lingers the showers into the afternoon so be aware on that one. still time to iron out the details, might rain but you might be good too

about Saturday...the euro lingers the showers into the afternoon so be aware on that one. still time to iron out the details, might rain but you might be good too
Ok thx will keep an eye on it
I assume it depends what time everything starts on Friday, as to what time I will get out of here on Saturday?

Heatwave over for me...failed to hit 90...only 89 today...heatwave ends at 7 days tying the first heatwave. Some areas did hit 90 or above today so there heatwave did become 8 days. I think the showers last night that dumped about .60 of rain was a factor.
Yes Philadelphia failed to break 90 also. So 3 days under 90 in a row accompanied by much needed rain. Then back to mid 90s and tropical humidity until at least Wednesday.

Flood watch up for today into tomorrow afternoon for most of the Philly-NJ-NYC region for the potential of 2-4" of flooding rains in some spots. The exact locations where the heaviest rains hit can't be predicted, as most locations will likely get maybe 1-1.5" of rain and little to no flooding, but since the heavy downpours could hit almost anywhere, the NWS went with a flood watch to be prudent. And the models and forecast are converging finally for Saturday and it's looking a bit wet from sunrise through about noon with ~1/4" of rain (or more where a couple of downpours could hit, which is possible), but rain chances diminish and hopefully the afternoon will be dry or mostly dry with a few lighter showers. And there's still some chance that the rain will be largely over by 9-10 am, as shown by a couple of models, which would be fantastic for those of us playing in the 50th annual Jersey Jam disc golf tourney at Rutgers - disc golf in the rain sucks, lol.

https://www.weather.gov/phi/

Could see some sun by mid/late afternoon, especially along/NW of 95 and then Sunday looks to be mostly sunny and nice if a bit hot with highs in the low 90s, but dewpoints "only" around 70F (they've been in the mid/upper 70s frequently the past few days). The heat continues through Wednesday with mid/upper 90s for most (and less relief near the coast with SW winds), but the heatwave should break with a front coming through late Wednesday (could be pretty stormy), leading to much more seasonable temps from Thursday through next weekend (mid/upper 80s) with the Climate Prediction Center actually forecasting below normal temps for a change from 7/19 through 7/25.

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/

Also, for those of you interested in the ongoing cooler conditions and frequent fog at the immediate coast, the NWS FB post, below, does a nice job of explaining how the continuing S/SW airflow across the cooler ocean brings cooler air temps to the immediate coast (and sometimes a bit inland) and it also "pushes" the immediate coastal surface waters away from the coast, allowing "upwelling" of colder water from greater depths, resulting colder than normal ocean temps and fog. The fog results from the warmer, more humid air over the land cooling down when it encounters the much cooler air above the surface of the ocean, resulting in that moisture condensing as fog.

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
This is what's headed northward towards the rest of our region; SENJ near the coast (and the southern DelMarVa) have been getting hammered...

IMG_0451.thumb.jpeg.158e5425d58d53f79c1b5f21450a3cc4.jpeg

Given pollen has been "very high" for the last week I have no problem with that.

Given pollen has been "very high" for the last week I have no problem with that.
And we seriously need the rain now, as much of the region is nearing moderate drought status (and a few locations are already there). I just don't want it on Saturday, lol.

450599826_877283347757764_38865355243025762_n.jpg

And we seriously need the rain now, as much of the region is nearing moderate drought status (and a few locations are already there). I just don't want it on Saturday, lol.

450599826_877283347757764_38865355243025762_n.jpg
I'm doing my part to conserve water by taking even fewer showers than ever. I figure, if I'm gonna be walking 9 miles a day across several walks per days w/the dog, what's the point in showering? I'm just gonna get covered in sweat, drool, dog hair, and probably some dog doo within an hour of showering anyway.

You know my motto: there's always an excuse to not shower.

I'm doing my part to conserve water by taking even fewer showers than ever. I figure, if I'm gonna be walking 9 miles a day across several walks per days w/the dog, what's the point in showering? I'm just gonna get covered in sweat, drool, dog hair, and probably some dog doo within an hour of showering anyway.

You know my motto: there's always an excuse to not shower.

What kind of dog?

My dog's lucky to make a mile in the summer heat.

The rain has been a bust so far here in Mercer county. Got a little this morning but nothing since. Every time I look at the future radar it shows in my area then at that time nothing. Hoping for some rain

Reactions: rurichdog
The rain has been a bust so far here in Mercer county. Got a little this morning but nothing since. Every time I look at the future radar it shows in my area then at that time nothing. Hoping for some rain
I was just going to post the same. Mercer County in moderate drought status, keep getting alerts to all the rain that is about to reach us within the hour...and nothing. Next door neighbor out mowing right now, I'm about to fire mine up in response.

Reactions: Postman_1
What kind of dog?

My dog's lucky to make a mile in the summer heat.
56% Great Dane, 19% German Shepherd, 8% Pit Bull, 6% Boxer. The remainder combining 7 different breeds, including Rottweiler, Golden Retriever, and American Eskimo Dog) in various percentages, none more than 2%.

He looks like a less jowly Great Dane with very dark coloring, about 100 pounds, at the moment. He's more muscular looking than the Great Danes I've seen, and smaller than the really big Great Danes. His first 1-2 years were spent almost entirely outdoors in the mountains, free to roam wherever, chasing or fighting with other animals all day long. This is a very, very fit dog. He's totally ripped, in part due to being underfed where he was.

The heat and humidity has slowed him up some, and shortened the walks a bit. But on all but the most humid days, he's still doing between 7-9 miles per day with me, and up to another ~10 miles with my son.

Reactions: fsg2
Rain for Friday basically busting if you are not South jersey toward the shore

Late friday night and early Saturday may be a different story

Last edited:
I was just going to post the same. Mercer County in moderate drought status, keep getting alerts to all the rain that is about to reach us within the hour...and nothing. Next door neighbor out mowing right now, I'm about to fire mine up in response.
I mowed what’s left of mine yesterday. Took only about 10 minutes. Most of my lawn is extra crispy. Been watering but it seems like no use with this heat.

The map I posted above hasn't changed much since late morning, as rains simply haven't made it to the 95 corridor yet, as the NWS discussion acknowledged recently, below, as 3-5" of rain fell for the NJ coast south of about Pt. Pleasant down through DE (and 6-10" have fallen near the coast in VA/NC). However, the NWS is sticking to its guns for heavy rains overnight into midday tomorrow, although some models are still showing much less than the 1-2" rain the NWS is predicting, especially after about 9-10 am tomorrow. We'll see who's right.

Showers and a few thunderstorms continue to spread across the
area this afternoon. The heaviest rain has occurred near the
coast, which was farther south than anticipated for the daytime
period. Localized amounts of 3-5" of rainfall have been
observed. The showers and storms should continue into this
evening, however a break in activity is expected overnight
as a lull in synoptic forcing occurs. PWats will remain around
2-2.5", near climatological maxima, along with MUCAPE near 1,000
J/kg. The more robust showers and thunderstorms that develop
will be capable of producing very heavy rainfall, with rainfall
rates near 2" per hour. The threat for severe thunderstorms is
very low. PoPs were adjusted to match the latest guidance,
including a lull overnight.

Temperatures will remain below normal through this afternoon,
topping out in the upper 70s to low 80s in most areas. With all
the cloud cover and moisture around tonight, temperatures will
remain quite mild, with lows ranging from the low to mid 70s.
Light southerly winds through Saturday, though winds will become
light and variable at times.

While the heaviest rainfall so far today has occurred near the
coast, guidance continues to pinpoint the heaviest rainfall
potential from across portions of Delmarva and into the urban
corridor through early Saturday afternoon. An additional wave of
widespread heavy showers and thunderstorms is expected to impact
this area beginning around daybreak Saturday through around
midday. Widespread rainfall amounts near 1-2" can be expected,
with locally higher amounts up to 5" possible. Rainfall rates
may exceed 1-2" per hour at times. While much of the area has
been dry recently, the rainfall rates may lead to some areas of
flash flooding, especially in urbanized and poor drainage areas.
The Flood Watch remains in effect as previously issued through
2 PM Saturday to highlight this threat.

This is what's headed northward towards the rest of our region; SENJ near the coast (and the southern DelMarVa) have been getting hammered...

IMG_0451.thumb.jpeg.158e5425d58d53f79c1b5f21450a3cc4.jpeg
Here's the crazy radar estimate precip over the last 24 hours, showing an incredibly steep gradient from flooding rains in SENJ/DE to moderate rains a bit inland from the coast to just east of 95 to essentially nada along and NW of 95, which was not what was forecast. It happens. Models still all over the place for overnight through tomorrow early afternoon, but the NWS is sticking with likely heavy rains (1-2" with locally up to 5") for anyone near, along and SE of 95.

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH SATURDAY/...
As of 930 PM, starting to see some increase in shower activity
from the south and southwest. The water vapor imagery shows an
impulse moving up across the eastern Carolinas and eastern
Virginia, and this feature should result in additional
increases in showers especially overnight into early Saturday
morning. Thunder has been rather sparse so far as
shower/convection is more low-topped, however the greater
chance for some thunder appears to be late tonight when some
increased forcing for ascent arrives. Made some additional
adjustments to the PoPs given trends and continued with the idea
of a slower thunder mention northward.

Guidance continues to pinpoint the heaviest rainfall potential
from across portions of Delmarva and into the urban corridor
through early Saturday afternoon. An additional wave of
widespread heavy showers and some thunderstorms is expected to
impact this area beginning around daybreak Saturday through
around midday. Widespread rainfall amounts near 1-2" can be
expected, with locally higher amounts up to 5" possible.
While much of the area has been dry recently, the rainfall
rates may lead to some areas of flash flooding, especially in
urbanized areas. The Flood Watch remains in effect as previously
issued through 2 PM Saturday to highlight this threat.

SzDRXVW.png

Collossal bust overall. If you were in south jersey or jersey shore you saw peanuts from the so called Friday/ Saturday event hyped by mets and models to dump widespread 1-2 inches everywhere with possible pockets of 3-5 Those amounts were rare and only parts of the jersey shore got those extreme amounts. Nyc and northeast Jersey is getting in on it late and may hit 1-2 inches

We needed the rain and it was a whiff for most of the state. A case of the haves and have nots.

Last edited:
Reactions: Postman_1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT