ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Big Heatwave/EDIT: Debbie passes well to west but band of showers and squall line and tornado watch to get thru

451492409_889133069917304_3452910248214808405_n.jpg

Round 1 of today's storms somehow completely fizzled on Hamilton's doorstep. We got a few drops and could hear the thunder all around. I hope we get some rain from Round 2 later

Reactions: Postman_1
Numerous trees down in Metuchen and Edison, especially on the north side of Metuchen and in North Edison (we barely got anything in SW Metuchen, as it was a really thin line of storms). Radar signature seemed more like what one sees with straight line winds (like the "derecho" that went through the midwest last night and into western NY/PA earlier today), rather than the rotation of a tornado and the NWS has been talking about straight line wind threats (and not tornadoes) for a few days; same for tomorrow. The link, below, also mentions this being a likely straight line/microburst setup (as is being discussed on the weather forums).

Reactions: Knight Shift
Round 1 of today's storms somehow completely fizzled on Hamilton's doorstep. We got a few drops and could hear the thunder all around. I hope we get some rain from Round 2 later
Yup got nothing but a spritz over here. Radar shows more coming our way around 9 but they will probably fizzle out too.

• Sad
Reactions: rurichdog
Officially hit 99.9 here lol.

Two big ass bowling balls rolled through here this evening, incredible lightning in the second one. Tomorrow supposed to pop off as well.

.32 with 2 rounds of storms in Hillsborough...we have actually had rain the past 6 days and 1.76 total....lotta weeds especally crabgrass thriving right now

one more day of mid 90s before the heat breaks.

It sucks the water is still chilly but it’s been keeping us pretty cool here in OC with the sea breeze. High of maybe 85 but anywhere within a couple blocks of the beach was beautiful. Great night for the women’s lifeguard races tonight. Always a good show

NJT/Amtrak is a joke. Glad I’m down at the shore. Know a lot of people are switching to private bus in my area.
Question for you-and not meant to be funny. Does the AC in your Lightning blow hard enough to keep cool? Is there a setting you use? I use the vents pointing out of the dashboard, and crank it to full fan setting, but it does not seem to move that much air?

Question for you-and not meant to be funny. Does the AC in your Lightning blow hard enough to keep cool? Is there a setting you use? I use the vents pointing out of the dashboard, and crank it to full fan setting, but it does not seem to move that much air?
No issues with AC. I used it to store ice when I ran out of freezer space for a party. I usually set it to auto.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Still warm and muggy even though we aren't getting any sun right now. Was in the low 80's on the way in this morning.

Last night, around 6:30'ish, on the drive home it was between 98° and 100°. Blech!

Still warm and muggy even though we aren't getting any sun right now. Was in the low 80's on the way in this morning.

Last night, around 6:30'ish, on the drive home it was between 98° and 100°. Blech!
I remember about 30-35 years ago, in Phoenix, the temperature at midnight was 100 degrees. I guess now since temperature are higher probably 105-110 degrees at midnight. I don’t know how people live there now but I use to ask that 30 years ago. It’s dry heat.

It sucks the water is still chilly but it’s been keeping us pretty cool here in OC with the sea breeze. High of maybe 85 but anywhere within a couple blocks of the beach was beautiful. Great night for the women’s lifeguard races tonight. Always a good show
Watching the races 50 yrs ago was always fun - just men back then. The races were swimming, then single and doubles in the boat. Is it the same for women?

Watching the races 50 yrs ago was always fun - just men back then. The races were swimming, then single and doubles in the boat. Is it the same for women?
swimming, singles, doubles and a little running too w/ a swim thrown in. Good crowd turnout too. I still think some towns do men and women but this particular one that OC hosts is just for the ladies.

Reactions: 29PAS
Just came in from outside - damn, feels just as hot as yesterday out there!

Reactions: Rhuarc
Lots of fuel in the atmosphere (heat, humidity and instability) and the spark (a cold front) is coming, so another severe t-storm watch has been posted for EPA (including Philly) and all of NJ from Mercer/Monmouth northwards and NYC/LI/Hudson Valley (SNJ may be added later). As usual, impossible to predict when and where storms will hit, but we're looking at similar risks as last night, i.e., high winds, small hail, heavy downpours (with localized flooding possible) and frequent lightning. Some severe storms are already in progress in NWNJ/Poconos/Hudson Valley and NW of Philly.

https://www.weather.gov/phi/

Now 94 with a 79 dew point. It is!!!!!
Soupy, lol. My wife and I had brunch around 10:30 am (Maria's Brunch in Metuchen - fantastic place if you like brunch places and their soups are off-the-charts good) and figured we'd go for a walk afterwards in Roosevelt Park and after about a mile, keeping mostly to the shade, my wife said no mas. I'm more used to the heat playing disc golf most days, but it really bothers her. Lots of trees down in the park from last night.

Been hearing a lot about how cool the water has been, maybe because of that I found the water surprisingly warm at Sandy Hook today.

Reactions: newell138
Been hearing a lot about how cool the water has been, maybe because of that I found the water surprisingly warm at Sandy Hook today.
Per NJ news 12:

The cold water was due to a process called upwelling, which occurs when strong winds from the south and southwest push warm water to the bottom of the ocean, causing cold water from the ocean floor to rise to the surface.

The map showed most of the NJ shoreline but Sandy Hook might be north enough to feel the avg temp in the low 70s.

Reactions: Postman_1 and RU-05
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT