ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Big Heatwave/EDIT: Debbie passes well to west but band of showers and squall line and tornado watch to get thru

96° here in Parsippany.
Cold Weather Reaction GIF by Brett Eldredge

High of 78 in Sea Girt/Manasquan 😊

• Love
Reactions: newell138
Usually less humid as the month goes on. We're in the middle of peak summer humidity.
We've never had humidity sustained during June and early July like this. This is tropical humidity even rare in late July and early August.

Reactions: RUPete
We've never had humidity sustained during June and early July like this. This is tropical humidity even rare in late July and early August.
Yes. Maybe a three-day break in there but that’s it. This has been a long stretch that looks like it will go even longer.

Currently a humid 81 up here in Burlington, Vermont. It was hot yesterday and today

Perfect night though to take in a minor league baseball game.

$5.00 tickets to see the Lake Monsters isn’t a bad deal

Reactions: Postman_1

June no. Early July yes. And it's way above average

I've worked out in the summer for the last 30 years. I don't think the conditions have changed much as we still get a lot of heat/humidity with some occasional nice days. However, as I get older I'm really struggling with the recovery aspect of this heat and humidity. I salute the people who do this stuff all the time. It truly sucks getting old.

I've worked out in the summer for the last 30 years. I don't think the conditions have changed much as we still get a lot of heat/humidity with some occasional nice days. However, as I get older I'm really struggling with the recovery aspect of this heat and humidity. I salute the people who do this stuff all the time. It truly sucks getting old.

Especially since your body ages much faster than your mind will admit!

Reactions: Rhuarc
My dad was a roofer for 35 years
I don’t know how he dealt w the heat
I tried it a few times and wanted to off myself

Ill still take this heat at work than temps in the 30s

Tough at times but it toughens you up. You learn to know your body. Drink plenty of water

Cloudy and overcast this morning, but still already 86° on the ride in.

Cloudy and overcast this morning, but still already 86° on the ride in.

And the dew point is 78. 2nd straight day it's been over 75. I can recall stretches where it's been this hot, but I can't recall 2 straight days with the dew point that high.

Reactions: WhiteBus
And the dew point is 78. 2nd straight day it's been over 75. I can recall stretches where it's been this hot, but I can't recall 2 straight days with the dew point that high.
I think that is the real difference between other years. I can not recall this happening for extended periods of time.

The humidity reminds me of central Florida in August. Even at 8am, when I was out walking the dog, I was drenched in sweat before the end of the first mile.

I’ve acclimated, so it’s not bugging me and I’m enjoying the walks. But the dog goes is going from tugging me along the first couple miles, to walking alongside me and slowing up, to looking up at me like “WTF are we doing out here, you dumb human - take me home to the A/C already”.

Reactions: Rhuarc and Kbee3
I think that is the real difference between other years. I can not recall this happening for extended periods of time.
it was definitely like this when I was a teen during the 90s. I have vivid memories of running laps for football and playing basketball in the park courts in this type of weather all the time. Its crazy how much couch life makes such a difference in the way you respond to this type of temps and humidity as adults.

it was definitely like this when I was a teen during the 90s. I have vivid memories of running laps for football and playing basketball in the park courts in this type of weather all the time. Its crazy how much couch life makes such a difference in the way you respond to this type of temps and humidity as adults.
Couch life? You have the wrong guy! Also doubt dew points back then have hit these as consistently as it has this past few months.

Last edited:
Couch life? You have the wrong guy! Also doubt dew points back then have hit these as consistently as it has this past few months.

What I remember about the 90's, aside from some huge snowstorms, was May 1991. The troops were coming home from the Gulf War and there was a big parade in Manhattan. That May it hit 90 or above 7 days that month. Can't remember another May where it hit 90 that manty times. I was working in the Gramercy Park area in Manhattan and each day walked up the Port Authority Bus Terminal for the ride home. Those were tough walks that year but the dew point was much lower.

What I remember about the 90's, aside from some huge snowstorms, was May 1991. The troops were coming home from the Gulf War and there was a big parade in Manhattan. That May it hit 90 or above 7 days that month. Can't remember another May where it hit 90 that manty times. I was working in the Gramercy Park area in Manhattan and each day walked up the Port Authority Bus Terminal for the ride home. Those were tough walks that year but the dew point was much lower.
The two years I remember was 1988, the year I moved to Philadelphia and they set a record of 5 days of 100 degrees or higher and 1991 that set the record for most 90 degrees days broken in 2010.
However, again I'm talking about the high tropical humidity we are seeing these days.

Dew point 76 in Manhattan now - not sure I've ever noticed it this high. Oppressive.

Latest post from the NWS noting that Philly has already had 8 days of 95F+ this summer and the whole summer average is 7 days. Most in recorded history (about 150 years) was 19 in 2002 (was 18 in 1988). And the humidity/heat index has also been pretty elevated this summer, but I haven't seen data reported on it - the NWS doesn't include it in their climate site data (or at least I haven't seen it, but admittedly their website is a bit obtuse. The only place that hasn't been well above normal is the immediate coast, where south winds off the cool ocean have generally kept temps down, as per the other thread.

Just sat out in my car in the shade for a bit, needed to make some phone calls, check in on my son Corey. It actually wasn't too bad, mid-80's, lots of clouds, nice breeze. Out of the shade walking into the building was another story altogether.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT