ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Bryson DeChambeau, 2020 US Open Champion!

I am sure that Zap Knows this. He is saying that weight(FAT) loss can be supplemented by building muscle. You will put some weight back on,however, because muscle does weigh more than fat.Zappaa seems to be contending that since Bryson works out,that his size is more muscular than FAT A layer of subcutaneous fat could give the impression of a lot more fat than really exists.
It’s muscle, just not lean muscle like a body builder. BB’s achieve that look mostly thru steroids/HGH and a very lean diet. But they can’t achieve that look for long. Only for competitions.

But it’s a fact that you’re able to generate more swing speed with longer shafts. How long are his shafts? I assumed they’re all the length of a 3 or 4 iron but could be mistaken.
I remember when I first heard about him that all his clubs were today's standard 5 iron length. Have no idea what they are now. However the other downside is the longer shaft is less accurate so you are giving up pinpoint accuracy on wedges. No one cares how far you hit a wedge. It's all about getting it close to the hole. He is a very interesting golfer. Modifies what he does constantly. Out there on the range Saturday night when everyone was gone, trying to stop pushing his tee shots. Got the job done. Wins a major with the fewest fairways hit all time. Think about that and he won by 6!

Reactions: RUScrew85
I remember when I first heard about him that all his clubs were today's standard 5 iron length. Have no idea what they are now. However the other downside is the longer shaft is less accurate so you are giving up pinpoint accuracy on wedges. No one cares how far you hit a wedge. It's all about getting it close to the hole. He is a very interesting golfer. Modifies what he does constantly. Out there on the range Saturday night when everyone was gone, trying to stop pushing his tee shots. Got the job done. Wins a major with the fewest fairways hit all time. Think about that and he won by 6!
I’m definitely not trying to take away from his achievements. Just a personal opinion on progressive shaft lengths..

You’re clueless.
You should of done some strength training in the gym to change your fat body into muscle
Well I wasn't cycling to lose weight. I just love cycling. After Scarlet passed I had a lot more time to ride, so I did. Weight loss and added muscle to my legs and arms are just a by product of long bike rides. This year I'm down 50lbs from when I started my return to serious riding. All I care about is becoming a better cyclist. No gym needed.

Reactions: bossnj1
What i Don't get is everyone freaking out over the length he is driving it and he is changing golf. Rory saying he didn't think that was a way to win at Winged Foot. Rory driving average was longer then him this past weekend as so was Wolff. I think 5 golfers has longer averages. What was impressive was the power to get out of that rough and his putting on Sunday.
Rory is one of the few who hits it high enough and with enough carry to take BD’s lines over trees.
Perhaps he’ll weigh the risk/reward and give it a try.
Mathew Wolf hits it just as far as BD but has no chance to take Bryson’s lines over trees.

Rory is one of the few who hits it high enough and with enough carry to take BD’s lines over trees.
Perhaps he’ll weigh the risk/reward and give it a try.
Mathew Wolf hits it just as far as BD but has no chance to take Bryson’s lines over trees.

If Rory’s Iron play and putting were as good as Bryson’s, he might have won. I thought his comments were off base ( not accurate ) and not very gracious.

The option of shaft length and grip size is available to all the players Boss, it their choice.

Yes! Bobby Jones played clubs that were all the same length. This option has been offer since they were playing with hickory.

Even after the whole world watched BD’s victory, pretty much no one from beginner to accomplished amateur will attempt to emulate his swing or adopt his fat grips and all irons one length.
Never mind the mathematical equation he arrives at before every shot
it's not the emulating his swing or his equipment. it's the debunking of the idea that it's better to be in the fairway and a bit shorter than further down the hole, but offline. it's the culmination of what has been already happening with rory, dustin, koepka, day....bomb and gouge away. get stronger, faster...and then when you hit it further, it's easier to hit a 9i out of the rough close to the hole than it is to hit 7i from the fairway. the stats prove it out.

and not one mention or picture of his girlfriend
Inorite? Bickering about clubs and swings and no mention of her huge... Tracts of land

6.png

Will be interesting seeing how he handles Augusta. Little rough to worry about. Two holes that jump out at me are 2 and 13. If he can draw over the trees he'd have mid-short iron 2nd shots on the two Par 5's.

Reactions: Knightmoves
His girlfriend is starting her residency at Vanderbilt. Smart and hot. Good for him.

stroke of genius. He has changed golf forever.
Expect the USGA to enact “Dechambeau” rules in the future. Most notably in the form of a rolled backed ball. These guys are just too long now
hearing he is going to a 48 inch driver in the next few weeks to add more swing speed.

Good Lord.

I guess steroids work in golf as well.
😀

Well there was a lot of talk but no proof offered that Tiger was using the roids when he went from skinny to jacked. He did have what could be called steroid related injuries later in his career but that doesn't prove anything.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
Many don’t recognize that Bryson was a champion college and amateur player before adding plus yardage off the tee. He had a complete game as a successful tour player before he added the extra length off the tee.

The added driving distance makes him tougher to beat on tour.

He's got a very steady short game and is a very good putter.

He is admittedly 30lbs overweight by design. He is incredibly thick in the middle and while his arms are bigger it's not all muscle. Compare to all the top current golfers. You don't think he is fat? Time for a new HD tv.

Let's agree to Chubby. ; )

His same length clubs concept is not new but no one on the tour went to that extreme but there is very solid argument for it that I heard when I was in my mid teens. So much of the other things are uniquely his. Also since he is so busy calculating, as Nantz said, he doesn't have time to get nervous. Fun to watch.

Yeah I'd really like to hear everything him and his caddie are talking about during a round. Gotta get him mic'ed up.

One thing is for sure, between Bryson and Brooks, the Era of the Bro is now in full force in the world of golf.

You've now said that at least twice. If by "Bro" you meaning winning tournaments and millions of dollars, bro out bro.

Or maybe he's just a competitor that wants to win and works really hard at it.

Even after the whole world watched BD’s victory, pretty much no one from beginner to accomplished amateur will attempt to emulate his swing or adopt his fat grips and all irons one length.

All one length irons have been done before - they get popular from time to time. I had actually considered shortening my 5, 6 and 7 to 8I length but you'd have to do surgery on lie and offset too - and that's too much for me to do at home. (4 and above are hybrids and woods.) Woods are all 1.5 - 2" short.

But it’s a fact that you’re able to generate more swing speed with longer shafts. How long are his shafts? I assumed they’re all the length of a 3 or 4 iron but could be mistaken.

They are the length of his 6 iron. Except driver. He's talking about going to 48 inches which is approaching long distance drivers. He says he's working on that this week. Augusta is going to be fun! The traditionalists aren't going to be happy with how he attacks that course.

He won the US Open because of his short game. He's going to have to do the same to win The Masters.

The one length irons doesnt add length across the board. If fact you lose distance on your longer irons because the shafts are shorter. The concept for same length irons simplified is same setup, same swing for every club in your bag.
Yeah probably need to take out loft too. And as above lie and maybe offset.

Reactions: WhiteBus
They are the length of his 6 iron. Except driver. He's talking about going to 48 inches which is approaching long distance drivers. He says he's working on that this week. Augusta is going to be fun! The traditionalists aren't going to be happy with how he attacks that course.

He won the US Open because of his short game. He's going to have to do the same to win The Masters.

I thought it was 7I. Good thing I didn't change my iron lengths.

while I agree with you that no one will copy his swing to a T, but part of it will change swings and how swings are taught. i think Bubba helped dispelled that you should never lift up your lead foot. back in the day, every swing coach will “correct” that mistake.

while I agree with you that no one will copy his swing to a T, but part of it will change swings and how swings are taught. i think Bubba helped dispelled that you should never lift up your lead foot. back in the day, every swing coach will “correct” that mistake.

I heard that too. I am not sure why. Ben Hogan lifted his foot off the ground. Enough said.

Yeah I'd really like to hear everything him and his caddie are talking about during a round. Gotta get him mic'ed up.

Just from the few exchanges I heard on tv with his caddie he seems to have a numerical value system on how hard he swings at each shot. Nothing wrong with trying to take his game to a higher level Imo.

I followed him onsite for 2 days at Concession CC in Bradenton FL when he won the NCAA championship in 2015. He was a great shot maker and putter back then. Never thought he was good enough to compete on the PGA Tour at that time. But he has raised his game to a much higher level since then.

I heard that too. I am not sure why. Ben Hogan lifted his foot off the ground. Enough said.
Ben was the best but he even talked about same length shafts but 3 lengths. 1 to 5, 6 to wedge, driver and all woods. He never did it in competition but did have clubs made that way but way past his playing days. He was adamant about consistent set up.

Nice arms but when your belly over hangs your belt that isn't muscle. Just saying.

I'm sure he's pretty strong but he's put on a lot weight too. If he's really stronger he's Nose Tackle strong. Not Schwarzenegger in 1977 strong.

Reactions: WhiteBus
Ben was the best but he even talked about same length shafts but 3 lengths. 1 to 5, 6 to wedge, driver and all woods. He never did it in competition but did have clubs made that way but way past his playing days. He was adamant about consistent set up.

I really like that idea but would go D, woods and hybrids, 5,6,7,8 at 7I or 8I, wedges can be assorted. I (we all can) can hit wedges as is. Just an FYI my driver and 3W are already shortened a bit, my fitting set my irons to -1/2" from normal.

I'm gonna have to think about this over the winter...

Oh crap and the swing weights all have to be adjusted. This would be a bitch to do at home.

I really like that idea but would go D, woods and hybrids, 5,6,7,8 at 7I or 8I, wedges can be assorted. I (we all can) can hit wedges as is. Just an FYI my driver and 3W are already shortened a bit, my fitting set my irons to -1/2" from normal.

I'm gonna have to think about this over the winter...

Oh crap and the swing weights all have to be adjusted. This would be a bitch to do at home.
Yes swing weights would have to be adjusted and that is the Bitch about it. Anyone can change shafts or even cut them shorter but adjusting the swing weights is not easy to do to near perfection. Which is why most like the idea but never tried, like myself. My thoughts on this over many years has remained mostly the same. 3 groups. 7 down wedges. Base length would all be my current 9 iron. 2 to 6 with a base length of a 5 iron. Woods all the same. My current driver was manufactured closer to a 3 wood.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT