ADVERTISEMENT

OT: California moves closer to becoming first state to ban tackle football for kids under 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROTHERSKINNY

Heisman Winner
Oct 21, 2010
The proposed law is striking in its brevity. Sure, the single sentence is a bit rambling, but California Assembly Bill 734 leaves no doubt about its directive:

"On and after January 1, 2026, a youth sports organization that conducts a tackle football program, or a youth tackle football league, shall not allow a person younger than 12 years of age to be a youth tackle football participant through the organization or league."

An American rite of passage since shortly after World War II — donning a helmet and shoulder pads and learning how to block and tackle — would be forbidden until adolescence begins. The proposed legislation is prompted by the growing concerns over concussions and other brain trauma.

AB 734 was introduced last year by Assemblyman Kevin McCarty (D-Sacramento) — not to be confused with former House speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Bakersfield) — and cleared its first hurdle Wednesday when a legislative committee voted 5 to 2 for the measure to be considered by the 80-member Assembly as early as next week.

The bill also would need to pass the 40-member Senate before reaching the desk of Gov. Gavin Newsom.

https://sports.yahoo.com/california-moves-closer-becoming-first-230939087.html

I didn't read the article nor have I done any research. But how hard are kids under 12 really hitting each other? I wonder if this is necessary. Parents can make the decision not to let their kids play football. For other kids, developing skills at a young age could be their key to scholarships and opportunities.

I was the oldest and my dad didn’t let me play football. His reasoning at the time was getting my knees blown out. He wasn’t even thinking about neck or head injuries. Always about getting your knees blasted. However my younger brother did play football in youth up through all of high school. I think he got softer and football suited my brother. I don’t let my kids play football either but they are really built for other sports so they play those all year round. With that being said all sports can have some level of serious injury. I got injured really badly in soccer on a dirty play. You can blow your knee out skiing etc. a bit key is knowing how to avoid it a lot of the time. Knowing how to fall or get out of the way or make a ‘business decision’ in certain situations.

Reactions: redking
I was the oldest and my dad didn’t let me play football. His reasoning at the time was getting my knees blown out. He wasn’t even thinking about neck or head injuries. Always about getting your knees blasted. However my younger brother did play football in youth up through all of high school. I think he got softer and football suited my brother. I don’t let my kids play football either but they are really built for other sports so they play those all year round. With that being said all sports can have some level of serious injury. I got injured really badly in soccer on a dirty play. You can blow your knee out skiing etc. a bit key is knowing how to avoid it a lot of the time. Knowing how to fall or get out of the way or make a ‘business decision’ in certain situations.
Sometimes it's just an overuse injury - like a basketball player or almost any athlete with an achilles.

Between this and the way the NFL incessantly promotes flag football, the end of tackle football is coming. Might be 15-20 years from now, but it seems inevitable. Hope I'm wrong.
When you look at the level of tackling in the NFL and in college, that day is pretty much here.

• Haha
Reactions: Morrischiano
I am OK with kids under 12 not hitting in football, however if they are worried about head injuries then they need to ban heading the ball in soccer, playing hockey on ice(ice is slippery) and lacrosse(kids with sticks is a recipe for disaster).

Reactions: BROTHERSKINNY

Curiously, I never really saw anyone get injured bad in HS football. I'm not talking Bosco/St Joe's/Bergen or one of those elite HS teams with big kids. The average HS team isn't that big/fast/strong. I saw a guy break his arm (and he dropped his motorcycle a couple times and that was worse) and that was it. In all the games I saw as an adult (see 2 or three every year) I never saw a kid get hurt bad. I think the benefits of physical development from HS football exceed the risks.

College is another story. I saw three guys blow their knees in one game. I know a bunch of D1 lineman who have knees with more stitch marks than a baseball. A kid not getting a scholarship or something (like DIII) should not risk anything imo.

Reactions: redking
One of my clients used to be a trainer for the Jets. He does not allow his kids to play tackle football.

No offense to those who support this legislation but there are many ways in which teaching and training of young tackle football enthusiasts can learn and be safe. Over reaction by government spawned by insurance underwriters. Hey stop street skating, riding a bike on a half pipe, The list of dangerous sports is endless… just end them all. Actually if Newsome thinks this is doable wait until the young athlete’s bring the lawsuits on how this impacted their future NIL and earnings post college.The total emasculation of young men in this country will be complete by 2035.

Between this and the way the NFL incessantly promotes flag football, the end of tackle football is coming. Might be 15-20 years from now, but it seems inevitable. Hope I'm wrong.
The end of tackle football as we know it today is inevitable based on the changing expectations within our society.

One of my clients used to be a trainer for the Jets. He does not allow his kids to play tackle football.
What age group? Did he say NEVER ? Liked said there are any number of ways to train and learn with actual contact.

The end of tackle football as we know it today is inevitable based on the changing expectations within our society.
change happens.
Some consider banning pre-teen tackle football something that needs to happen
Others feel that type of change is being overprotective..

Its the responsibility of the parents, not the sate.
if the state regulates, in any way, the league the kids play organized youth tackle football, it is their responsibility that the tackle football leagues in that state has rules to make it safe for the kids to play the game

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Next rules will include anyone under 25 will be required to wear a protective headpiece while outside or participating in any physical activities.

Next rules will include anyone under 25 will be required to wear a protective headpiece while outside or participating in any physical activities.
sort of like motorcycle helmets for those riding motorcycles has been looked at as being overprotective and wearing them should be optional.
The state shouldn't be concerned in keeping anyone safe , what people do for their own safety should be up to the individual is something many people feel.
That's why wearing seat belts were opposed even though studies proved wearing one saved lives .
As for this under 12 tackle football ban, can't say if it's needed or overprotective

Here's an article That gives reason for ban
>A child's body is not designed for for tackle football. Because the head grows faster than the body, a child's large head makes head impacts inevitable, more powerful, and more dangerous. Plus, the resources and protections in place for high school athletes are vastly different than those typically offered at a youth tackle football game.<

https://concussionfoundation.org/programs/flag-football

Last edited:
Reactions: BComs and Unionst
We all understand concussions which occur in many sports other than football… soccer , rugby, basketball ( falls on the court during the action) listen I’m all for no football on all levels … how many NFL players careers have involved any number of concussion protocols.

Boston University did a study on 211 brains of deceased ex football players at all levels. 210 had significant damage.

Edit I was told 210 of 211 but an article says 345 of 376.

Still significant and if other products or activities had such a high percentage of damage that product would be subject to strict regulation or restrictions

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Boston University did a study on 211 brains of deceased ex football players at all levels. 210 had significant damage.

Still significant and if other products or activities had such a high percentage of damage that product would be subject to strict regulation or restrictions
And if Rutgers decided to do away with so called tackle football what would you do with all your spare time. The whine and cheese would be over the top.

I heard as a compromise CA will instead implement tackle tennis. Anyone else hear this?

The fact that they’re passing this law, and not leaving it up to the parents judgement, with all of the other negative things going on in that state, really speaks volumes
You could make the same argument for requiring seatbelts in cars.

It's a health and safety issue which was brought up by injuries to pre teens, parental concerns and lawsuits by parents if injured kids. This didn't just come out of thin air.

I just sent this article to one of my friends, who coaches pop warner . His kids all played tackle football from 8 until college.
I figured he would hate it . But he said it’s not a bad idea . The game has gotten less physical in areas so he doesn’t think this will hurt the sport in the older levels. He also thinks it will be better to teach tackling when the kids are older so they don’t learn bad habits when they’re 8

Well a parent deciding their child shouldn't play a sport is a little different than a government prohibiting it.

(Sorry I quoted the wrong post here)

Last edited:
I am OK with kids under 12 not hitting in football, however if they are worried about head injuries then they need to ban heading the ball in soccer, playing hockey on ice(ice is slippery) and lacrosse(kids with sticks is a recipe for disaster).

...field hockey, basketball, hell - stairs and bathrooms too.

All involve an increased risk of head injury.

Well a parent deciding their child shouldn't play a sport is a little different than a government prohibiting it.
Is someone prohibiting someone from playing a sport lol? Should parents be the judge of whether or not their kids wear seat belts or sit in car seats in cars?

How many brains of non-football players did they look at or was there no Control in their experiment?

You are referencing BU so I'll assume no Control Group.

Is someone prohibiting someone from playing a sport lol? Should parents be the judge of whether or not their kids wear seat belts or sit in car seats in cars?

Found one! You're right Comrade, The State is all knowing.

Yes, Tackle Football, or did I misread?
Yes, they are the parent's children, not the state's.

Last edited:
It is worth noting that in several youth soccer leagues, heading has already been eliminated, and checking is prohibited in hockey until U-14. I would argue the soccer example has less impact on the game than tackling in football and is therefore a less effective analogy, but eliminating checking is pretty close to football/tackling. It has its benefits - more emphasis on skating, passing, positional play in the early formative years. I imagine there could be similar benefits for football.

Reactions: Sir ScarletKnight
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT