ADVERTISEMENT

OT: CFP Texas/Washington Sugar Bowl

You just dont no passing game at all.
TDs, INTs, sacks, completion % (Penix is low) are only irrelevant to clueless fans (of which their are many round here)

He's overrated.

When a WR beats his man downfield and has to wait four seconds for the ball its a BIG issue

That was written in August 2023.

Here's a different take:

"Kalen's annual salary of $4.2 million is well short of any other coach in the CFP. Alabama's Nick Saban makes around $11 million per year, Michigan's Jim Harbaugh about $8 million and Texas' Steve Sarkisian about $5.6 million."

Our coach makes more than 2 coaches that were in the CFP.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
"Kalen's annual salary of $4.2 million is well short of any other coach in the CFP. Alabama's Nick Saban makes around $11 million per year, Michigan's Jim Harbaugh about $8 million and Texas' Steve Sarkisian about $5.6 million."

Our coach makes more than 2 coaches that were in the CFP.

But I thought all the Gary lovers said he was underpaid and needed a raise?

Schiano only made 4M this year if I am not mistaken. So he would not b ahead of any.

I also suspect those coaches to get a raise next year.

But we could have waited to give him a raise until after he won the bowl.. and maybe a lower raise after seeing us finish 0-4 in reg season

That was written in August 2023.

Here's a different take:

Can't see anything.
Articles aside, I go by what I see.
A lot of people see a ball go 50 yards and think "wow what an arm."
But elevation is just as important.
Shedeur will throw a 50 yd pass 15 ft off the ground.
Wimsatt will throw one 40 ft in the air - giving DBs time to get under it (I'm sure Schiano is aware of that - keeps longer balls on sidelines and corners).

Tonight Penix had a WR wide open 40 yds up and way ahead of DB.
WR had to wait a long time for high ball to get to him but DB got there first.
Shedeur would have completed that pass and maybe get a TD
Bo Nix has a 77.2 completion % and some much better stats all around.
Penix is #1 for ypg
Not that stats are all because Tebow had better college passing stats than both Mannings

Washington has the best WR tandem I've seen in awhile and to me it explains lots of passing success.
A lot of people credit QB for pass game when his WRs are great and they blame QB when passing is bad,
Washing receivers have a large bubble of reception possibility around them.
They jump, dive, bend, steal, mug - do anything to catch balls that get near them.
If Wimsatt had guys like that his stats would go right up despite the overthrow issues.
Haskins had 50 TDs his last year at Ohio St because he had the talent around him.
Penix won't be a good NFL QB anymore than Haskins was.
But Washington will still have better passing than Michigan next week

Penix looks like a more mobile version of Warren Moon to me. I'd take him over any of the other QBs in this draft; I wish the Jets would trade back and use a pick for him in the late first round.

Schiano only made 4M this year if I am not mistaken. So he would not b ahead of any.

I also suspect those coaches to get a raise next year.

But we could have waited to give him a raise until after he won the bowl.. and maybe a lower raise after seeing us finish 0-4 in reg season
DeBoer made 3M last year on an initial contract, won 11 games and then was bumped with a new contract this year to 4M. Now he’s won 14 games and in the national champ game so he’ll likely be bumped again.

When Penix was at Indiana, he threw 3 TD in both Rutgers games beating us easily. When he left, we beat Indiana easily. He was a good QB at Indiana but I guess the supporting cast, OL and WR, make a big difference.

Reactions: Kbee3
When Penix was at Indiana, he threw 3 TD in both Rutgers games beating us easily. When he left, we beat Indiana easily. He was a good QB at Indiana but I guess the supporting cast, OL and WR, make a big difference.
So does not having 4 season ending injuries

Penix looks like a more mobile version of Warren Moon to me. I'd take him over any of the other QBs in this draft; I wish the Jets would trade back and use a pick for him in the late first round.
He has 2 ACL surgeries one on each leg, and shoulder injuries in the past. That type of injury history is a big risk for a team to take. I hope my team (Giants) passes on him tbh

Reactions: Scarlet Beach
Agree on the throws in the previous possession, but disagree on the last possession (mildly), as you can't worry that much about an injury like that and getting a 1st down ends it, while not getting a 1st down would've left close to 20 seconds on the clock.
You either have to actually try to get a first down, or take a knee. They did neither. They were just half assing it by running up the middle into a team that knew exactly where it was going to go. Therefore they had next to zero chance of actually getting a first down, but a way more than zero chance of something bad happening, which it did. Absolute coaching catastrophe.

You either have to actually try to get a first down, or take a knee. They did neither. They were just half assing it by running up the middle into a team that knew exactly where it was going to go. Therefore they had next to zero chance of actually getting a first down, but a way more than zero chance of something bad happening, which it did. Absolute coaching catastrophe.
agree on strategy. but not a catastrophe since they won.

Washington has great receivers, but Penix followed the OC from Indiana to Washington. He's had MANY years in that offense.

An article and videos from earlier this year on Washington’s offense. I always say if you’re going to outperform your status on the landscape it’s more likely on the back of offense and it’s the avenue with more potential. Washington while not way low down the status totem pole, it’s certainly not Alabama, OSU etc…and now has a legitimate chance at the title. Mizzou is another example this year where their offense went up 60 some odd places from the 80s to the 20s in total, scoring and YPP. Kirby Moore their first year OC coached under DeBoer and Tedford.

It makes sense that Dillon Johnson transferred from Miss St last year to UW and Will Rogers for next year considering some similarities in offense.

Excepts from the article, there are some XOs in the article:

Washington is also averaging a national-high 8.8 yards per play after Tennessee finished at 7.2 last year.

And the difference in philosophy is clearer: The Huskies’ offense is built not on explosivity, but on efficiency. The explosive plays are a direct result of the efficiency. And they’re doing so with little reliance on the run game. Washington’s 123 yards rushing per game rank 102nd nationally. The last time the country’s top offense was ranked 100th or below in rushing? Kliff Kingsbury’s Texas Tech unit with Patrick Mahomes in 2016. Per TruMedia, Washington ranks 127th in run play percentage (38.7) and 78.4 percent of its total yardage comes from passing, the sixth-most.

But Washington doesn’t want to run the ball. It’s not their priority. They are all about protecting Penix and silently picking you apart in the pass game.”

The Huskies’ offensive innovation lies in their efficiency and simplicity. The operation is built on one core philosophy: creating space to exploit the one-on-one advantage. It is able do that schematically in three distinct ways:

1. Creating horizontal stretches on underneath defenders
  2. Creating vertical stretches on deep defenders
  3. Mastering individual route technique
Schematically, the Washington system is grounded in the Air Raid style. It’s something head coach Kalen DeBoer has cultivated in his previous stops at Fresno State, Indiana, Eastern Michigan and Southern Illinois.

The final piece of the Huskies’ offensive triumvirate has been the addition of wide receivers coach and pass game coordinator JaMarcus Shephard. Shephard, a former Mike Leach disciple, came over from Purdue, where as the co-offensive coordinator he helped catapult the Boilermakers to the fifth-highest passing offense in the country in 2021 alongside Jeff Brohm. The preciseness with which Shephard demands his receivers run routes is quite remarkable and something I’ll explore later.

Quite simply, the Washington receiving corps knows how to run away from leverage.

There is a coaching maxim that says, “You’re either coaching it or letting it happen.” And when watching the film, it’s clear that Shephard is coaching it. Shephard obsesses over yards after catch potential in his unit and he teaches them to be “takers” of the football by having them be proactive in going up and snatching the ball.

Shephard teaches his receivers to attack the ball on post routes by taking the ball out of the air rather than allowing it to come into their bodies.

These videos are somehat long. Hopefully they show up, sometimes there are problems with posting YouTube vids.

An Athletic video with the writer of the article.

Also a video from a YouTube channel I watch from time to time with good XO breakdowns.

Reactions: ashokan
Was reading part of the reason Michigan moved away from Don Brown’s man scheme was because of IU and Penix. DeBoer was their OC for 1 year in 2019, the year they win 8 games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT