ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Chiefs/Dolphins will be a chilly one

RULoyal

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jul 28, 2001
0 degrees and a -30 windchill
Shining Jack Nicholson GIF

It's funny that the city of Kansas City is pleading with everyone to stay indoors.

The season is too long. Cut it back to 12 games like the old, old days. We should be playing the Super Bowl in a warm place by now over a three-day weekend. The owners are a benevolent sort and I'm sure they would take a little less money so people can stay warm. I have faith in humanity.

While not as cold as this KC game is supposed to be, I was at the Eagles vs Falcons NFC championship game in 2004, it was a beast that day. There was a foot of snow on the ground and the temp was in the teens with a 0 or slightly negative wind chill.

With that said by the end of the game I wasn't feeling much and didn't mind it.

Reactions: JRZEER
Assuming Pops' shoulder is fully healed, he'll probably be getting a ton of carries this game.

Most wont be able to watch this game anyway. Suck they are doing this. Im excited for the Bills - Steelers game. Snow playoff games are the best

Not me. As a Bills fan I feel like especially the wind will negate our passing game and the Steelers may have the more physical running game with Harris and Warren. I would have rather had them have to rely on Mason Rudolph more.

Not me. As a Bills fan I feel like especially the wind will negate our passing game and the Steelers may have the more physical running game with Harris and Warren. I would have rather had them have to rely on Mason Rudolph more.
It definitely would negate your passing game if that weather pans out. I'm rooting for the Bills too but I am a Giants fan. Selfishly I wanna see a game played in those elements. I have a feeling they are gonna postpone the game but I hope not.

I really dislike NFL playoff games that get played in this type of weather. It’s extreme. You can keep the great “frozen tundra” games. This type of weather greatly impacts the quality of play . Football is an autumn sport, it has increasingly become a winter sport due to commercial/$$$ reasons. 55 years ago today the NY Jets won Super Bowl lll. Now the Super Bowl is played in early Feb., the absolute dead of winter. It’s ridiculous fans showing up in -30 wind chill conditions for 4 hrs. Maybe someone will die of exposure and the NFL will “encourage” all NFL teams outside the deep south and west coast to build indoor arenas.

I really dislike NFL playoff games that get played in this type of weather. It’s extreme. You can keep the great “frozen tundra” games. This type of weather greatly impacts the quality of play . Football is an autumn sport, it has increasingly become a winter sport due to commercial/$$$ reasons. 55 years ago today the NY Jets won Super Bowl lll. Now the Super Bowl is played in early Feb., the absolute dead of winter. It’s ridiculous fans showing up in -30 wind chill conditions for 4 hrs. Maybe someone will die of exposure and the NFL will “encourage” all NFL teams outside the deep south and west coast to build indoor arenas.
I was kidding around earlier in this thread, but you’re right.

The season is too long. Cut it back to 12 games like the old, old days. We should be playing the Super Bowl in a warm place by now over a three-day weekend. The owners are a benevolent sort and I'm sure they would take a little less money so people can stay warm. I have faith in humanity.
I hope you're being sarcastic. The owners don't care about anything but the bottom line. Typical corporate greed.

Francesa has bragged for years that he pushed Goodell and NFL into February.
Not a lot going on in Feb and it was a dead space relative to US sports.
I wish I could get into NBA/NHL and Formula 1 but I cant (was a Knick fan in 90s lol).
Corona and a consortium of other alcohol sellers promoted Cinco de Mayo as a big holiday (minor even in Mexico) because US beer sales used to flatline after the Super Bowl.
One good thing about a Feb Super Bowl is that between that game and Valentine's Day winter seems to turn the corner.

Last edited:
Reactions: ldwnmas
Start the nfl season labor day weekend and eliminate the bye week. By doing that, you end the nfl season 2 weeks earlier and less chance of extreme weather.

Worry about player safety to be honest. Players aren’t dressed in layers.

-20 is foolish.

Cincinnati circa 1982 was even worse.
The December 31, 1967 NFL Championship game between the Dallas Cowboys and the Green Bay Packers played in -13 degrees Fahrenheit and the January 10, 1982 San Diego Chargers-Cincinnati Bengals’ “Freezer Bowl” played in -9 degrees and a 27 mph wind causing a wind chill of –37 degrees Fahrenheit. The funny thing was, the country was in a deep freeze that day with sub-32 degree weather everywhere EXCEPT where the Chargers traveled from - San Diego.

I don't mind a weird game like one played in a heavy snowfall once in awhile. But the "Freezer Bowl" mentioned above could have put people's health in jeopardy. And I think they should look at tonight's Miami at KC game in the same light. You can push it too far. Don't wait until a tragedy happens to reevaluate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT