ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Christmas Songs You're Already Sick of Hearing

My #1 least favorite Christmas song is Mariah Carey - "All I Want For Christmas is You."

My all-time favorite Christmas performance is probably Bruce Springsteen, Paul McCartney, and a very excited cast of SNL singing "Santa Claus Is Coming to Town."

Honorable mention Favorite: Kenny and Dolly "A Christmas to Remember"

As for religious music "O Holy Night" is my favorite
I had to learn that in high school French class of all places! I still hate the song!! But, despite being Jewish I like almost all other religious Christmas songs. I wish I could hear them instead of the dreck that the radio stations play. It's as though there are seven songs, and we get to hear seventy different renditions.

My #1 least favorite Christmas song is Mariah Carey - "All I Want For Christmas is You."

My all-time favorite Christmas performance is probably Bruce Springsteen, Paul McCartney, and a very excited cast of SNL singing "Santa Claus Is Coming to Town."

I hadn't seen the first one before; it's great. I hope Paul McCartney realizes that Springsteen's version of a classic is about ten trillion times better than McCarney's "Simpy Having a Wonderful Christmas Time," ugh!

O come Emanuel - any and every rendition I've heard.

Guess it actually is a Christmas song but listens more like an Easter or general church hymn to me. And either way, it's grating ear torture.

Number #1 far and away for me... Feliz Navidad. Didn't like it when it came out in 1970 and 50+ years hasn't changed it.
Below is my favorite holiday performance.
Don't know if Dean is hammered or just can't read the cue cards.

It seems pretty well agreed that Dean Martin's drunkenness on stage was an act. (I remember this being discussed in my high school physics class -- it had nothing with the subject -- over a half century ago. You can tell I had an odd high school education!) If anything, Frank Sinatra had a worse problem with alcohol. BTW, I liked the performance; thanks for posting it1

Reactions: colbert17
The worst, by far, is "So this is Christmas (War is Over) by John Lennon and Yoko Ono. Yoko's shrill screeching voice reminds me of an elementary school violin concert.

On.a positive note, the Carpenters Christmas Album is a classic.
in the early 1970s, there was an excellent entertainment magazine in the San Francisco Bay Area called Night Times. In one issue, a new album by Lennon and Yoko was reviewed. The reviewer referred to them as "Joko" and wrote "Joko writes like an old broom, and sings like Lesley Gore turned Weatherwoman." I laughed and laughed, and have never forgotten the line. Probably you have to get the references to Lesley Gore and the Weatherman faction of Students for a Democratic Society to like it as much as I do.

Reactions: 29PAS and colbert17
Wow!! I didn't know that.
Yup, went golfing in Spain, golfed a good round and even stopped in the middle of the round and sang a song for some of the maintenance workers working on one of the holes on the course. When the round ended, he said something along the lines of "hey, great round fella's, lets go in and get a coke" ............. upon saying that he was struck with a massive heart attack and fell face first on the ground and died immediately. When the other golfers in the foursome were asked if he seemed fine throughout the round each said he was perfectly fine and having a wonderful time. Tragic.

Yup, went golfing in Spain, golfed a good round and even stopped in the middle of the round and sang a song for some of the maintenance workers working on one of the holes on the course. When the round ended, he said something along the lines of "hey, great round fella's, lets go in and get a coke" ............. upon saying that he was struck with a massive heart attack and fell face first on the ground and died immediately. When the other golfers in the foursome were asked if he seemed fine throughout the round each said he was perfectly fine and having a wonderful time. Tragic.
May he rest in peace. I have a friend whose father passed away of a sudden heart attack while he was playing softball with his friends. My friend commented that there are many worse ways to die than while doing something one loves.

Feliz Navidad, Wonderful Christmastime, dominick the donkey, all I want for Christmas is you.

So far I have avoided Christmas music like the plague, so no songs at this point I don't want to hear. However, given how often it gets played, I suspect Mariah Carey's All I Want For Christmas will top the list.

Reactions: Jm0513
I had to learn that in high school French class of all places! I still hate the song!! But, despite being Jewish I like almost all other religious Christmas songs. I wish I could hear them instead of the dreck that the radio stations play. It's as though there are seven songs, and we get to hear seventy different renditions.
Half the stuff you hear at Christmastime was written by Jewish people anyway...

Waking Up Nom GIF by The Grinch

Mariah and Amy Whinehouse

I'm pre-sick of the Mariah Carey song. I haven't heard it yet and I'm already sick of it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT