ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Overplayed Christmas songs

NY has a country FM radio station? That's new.

OTBOTOR-NASH FM 94.7 has been around for at least 3-5 years. Frankly it's more of a top 40 country format- but it IS New York based. If you R n NJ and search the dial I believe there are several other stations (one in Philly I believe) you can find. I think there's also one in South Jersey and 1-2 in Philly (listened to one there before NASH FM I believe).

One local station that I liked (lost my radios in storage locker selloff) Is located in Hunterdon County High School. I believe it is student run. They mix in older county music and such artists (they may surprise you) like Jimmy Buffett and Bruce Springsteen. There's also a segment where they play remote stuff-often great.

If you like Island music with a bunch of country thrown in check out Jimmy Buffet's free Radio Margaritaville (Radiomargaritaville.com). Its Something different. They'll also throw in artists like Bruce and Kenny Chesney+ a bit of country. Most of Jimmy's concerts are broadcast live and somewhere on the internet (same?) I watched a Buffett show on the net in amazing clarity 2-3 months ago. Radio Margartaville is also on Sirius.

Buffett has a new Christmas CD out so at least that stuff is at least half fresh!

Sorry, but this post proves that you should not be allowed to post about music at all. Christmas music is mostly bad and ridiculously overplayed in malls, stores, restaurants, etc. Fortunately, restaurants are the only one of those I'm in a lot.

Well I've also seen Bruce 70-75 times. Would have been 76 but I believe Piscataway Mike offered you what should have been my ticket (in the years before I believe I had gotten hm several tickets inc a megatough benefit in Asbury Park). Mike likes top meet new people though-especially board posters.

Also re Christmas music past Christmas, Christmas is a season, not a day. The catholic church celebrates the birth of Christ for at least 7 days (12?). Kids are home from high school (so there's a lot of visting) until ~January 2nd and most colleges n the NE don't go back until January 21st or so.

Last edited:
I think the common theme for all those subjecting themselves to the worst of it is that you're getting your music from radio. I built a 7 hour playlist on Spotify that includes spngs, artists, and recordings you don't hear on the radio...at least not in heavy rotation. The playlist includes a little classical as well. The best parts of Handel's Messiah, and the Alfred Burt Carols are so much better than hearing Wham for the 80th time. Here's a blog post I wrote with some more suggestions from my list:
http://unionvillevineyards.com/blogs/news

Reactions: KingHigh
Sorry, but this post proves that you should not be allowed to post about music at all. Christmas music is mostly bad and ridiculously overplayed in malls, stores, restaurants, etc. Fortunately, restaurants are the only one of those I'm in a lot.

talk about a Grinch

Let me see, if I got this right. Bac should not be allowed to post
about music at all, because you have a problem with Christmas music
being bad. WTF

Songs in church on Christmas day are wonderful. True spirit of what Christmas is all about. Hate, absolutely hate the radio stations that go to 100% Christmas music before Thanksgiving. And don't get me started with retail stores decorated for Christmas and playing Xmas elevator music the day after Labor Day.
The only song on the radio that I enjoy (And think the video is funny as hell) is Run DMC Christmas in Hollis.
Thankfully 93.3 WMMR in Philly keeps with Rock/Punk/Mettle music until Christmas eve.
As opposed to 101.1 More FM which is aching to start Christmas music the day after Halloween.

Let me see, if I got this right. Bac should not be allowed to post
about music at all, because you have a problem with Christmas music
being bad. WTF
Pretty sure bac knows I was mostly kidding. We actually agree on a lot of music, but I felt I had to bust his balls over the Christmas music post.

We need the appropriate music (and the appropriate version) for that comment:

Have seen the Dervishes many times, mostly in their Court Tavern days back in the 80s. Back then was pretty good friends with two of the guys in the band, but haven't really kept in touch since then, although we did see them again a few months ago, as they occasionally still do shows at places like Roxy and Dukes. Some of the guys in the band also formed Everlounge (lounge music, duh) in the 90s and my very good friend had them as their wedding band which was pretty cool.

may you be forced to listen to Paul McCartney Wonderful Christmastime on constant loops all the way back home

Possibly the worst pop Christmas song ever and that's saying a lot. On the other hand, his former bandmate recorded perhaps the best pop Christmas song ever...

Yes, the Lennon song is the worst, not because of John, but because of Yoko's screechy voice. What was Lennon thinking?

"Guys" another radio station playing Christmas songs that R etter than pop stations is 99.1 Star FM out of Zerepath-the religious community near NB. They turned to all Chrstmas in November. While they R playing some pop hits (Heard the Chipmunks and another) they are also playing Christmas songs by Christian artists (there was one Amy Grant detractor here but (she's on now), it sounds good and the song fresher than other common versions. Much more listenable..Oh oh McCartney...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT