ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Overplayed Christmas songs

My pet peeve is the seasonal stuff that has nothing whatsoever to do with Christmas, but is included under the Christmas music umbrella. They are merely odes to winter. And since winter sucks, these songs must by definition suck as well. The transitive property clearly applies here, as it does in comparing college football scores.

The worst - Baby It's Cold Outside.

My pet peeve is the seasonal stuff that has nothing whatsoever to do with Christmas, but is included under the Christmas music umbrella. They are merely odes to winter. And since winter sucks, these songs must by definition suck as well. The transitive property clearly applies here, as it does in comparing college football scores.

Winter rules, but that song is ridiculous. Every time I hear it, I wonder why the hell society has created and supported a Christmas song that's just some guy trying to get laid, possibly using date rape methods.

I always love listen to Karen Carpenter's Christmas songs.

Overplayed and they make me so sad because it makes me think of my dead parents et al-and of course Karen herself (though the closest I was to her music growing up was singing "ON Top of The World" for our 6th-7th grade chorus performance).

She had such a beautiful voice though and I still think "There's No Place like Home For The Holidays" is one of my favorites. It reminds me (though now I see myself alone) of the last years of my father's life heading to "Cracker Barrel" just about every Saturday night where us "locals" would run into people travelling up route 78 to whatever part of the East Coast.

3. Wonderful Christmastime - Paul McCartney.
"Hey Paul, a lot of stars have their own Christmas song, you should do one too."
"Okay mate, give me five minutes, I'll crap one right out."

2. Step Into Christmas - Elton John.
This song is horrible, complete with weird sound effects that, to me, sound a lot like a toilet flushing. It's the perfect complement to the McCartney song.

1. Last Christmas - Wham.
My wife and I argue about this one a lot. She loves it and plays it on a freaking loop. "Let's put on some Christmas music." Dammit... I can't stand it. Just because you say the word Christmas over and over again, it does not make it a Christmas song. Other than the fact that he calls the song Last Christmas, give me one thing about the song that inherently captures anything about Christmas. Better yet, substitute any other holiday - or calendar date for that matter - for the word Christmas. The song still reads exactly the same way and makes perfect sense. "Last May 3rd, I gave you my heart." or "Last Roshashana, I gave you my heart. But the very next day, you gave it away." Roshashana probably goes better with the beat of the song actually. NOT A CHRISTMAS SONG.

These songs need to go into a sound eliminating vault, together with the artists who created them, and forever locked away.

Thank, now I dont have to post my list..as spot on as it gets 1&3 friggin songs lead you to a padded a cell. They are more annoying than any sound in the world

Songs in church on Christmas day are wonderful. True spirit of what Christmas is all about. Hate, absolutely hate the radio stations that go to 100% Christmas music before Thanksgiving. And don't get me started with retail stores decorated for Christmas and playing Xmas elevator music the day after Labor Day.
The only song on the radio that I enjoy (And think the video is funny as hell) is Run DMC Christmas in Hollis.
Thankfully 93.3 WMMR in Philly keeps with Rock/Punk/Mettle music until Christmas eve.

Winter rules, but that song is ridiculous. Every time I hear it, I wonder why the hell society has created and supported a Christmas song that's just some guy trying to get laid, possibly using date rape methods.

People love saying this. You have to view the song in context of social expectations at the time it was written, right after WW2.

A woman was supposed to play hard to get. However, women just went back into the kitchen after having run the country while the men were fighting. It was the very beginning of women's sexual freedom, but there was still a lingering expectation of chastity that bound women from ever saying "yes" when she wanted. She never once says "I think you are ugly and obnoxious." She's worried about what the neighbors might think. So there has to be an innocent, non sexual, pretext for her to socially be able to say yes. Baby its cold outside. You might get sick. The snow is up to your knees. As he is doing the necessary convincing, she makes her true feelings plain - "at least I'm gonna say that I tried." If you watch the performances of this song, the lady's body language is very warm and flirtatious, and she very obviously wants to be with this man, and the only enemy to be defeated is the burden of chastity that was forced opon this woman by society by her parents, her brother, the neighbors, society.

This song was great, as it represented a young man and woman, both dft, giving their parents and paternalistic Christian society a big middle finger. It's a very interesting sweet song for our grandparents era for these reasons.

Reactions: RUJohnny
Songs in church on Christmas day are wonderful. True spirit of what Christmas is all about. Hate, absolutely hate the radio stations that go to 100% Christmas music before Thanksgiving. And don't get me started with retail stores decorated for Christmas and playing Xmas elevator music the day after Labor Day.
The only song on the radio that I enjoy (And think the video is funny as hell) is Run DMC Christmas in Hollis.
Thankfully 93.3 WMMR in Philly keeps with Rock/Punk/Mettle music until Christmas eve.

Haven't tuned in in a few years? but there's a nice radio station that broadcasts out of the Zerepath religious community (near NB)-lots of orchestral style arrangements.

As much as I hate Christmas music I hate the fact that after midnight on the 25th you can't find a station anywhere that plays Christmas music. Christmas is a season-lots of visiting is done in the week before New Year's Day. Also doesn't the catholic church celebrate 12 days of Christmas?

I can not stand "Jingle Bell Rock" or " Have a Holly Jolly Christmas". I use to hear one or the other evry 5 minutes.
The best- religious - "O Holy Night"
Non religious See below. Take 2 minutes to watch it. AWESOME!!!! 1967 They're both bombed and Dean can't even read the cue cards!!!

My Favorite Things is the worst "traditional" Christmas song.
Funny you should say that because it is in no way a traditional Christmas song. It is from The Sound of Music, a movie/play that has nothing to do with Christmas. The song itself has nothing to do with Christmas. Governess Maria sings it to calm the kids who are scared in a thunderstorm. Some of the favorite things she cites are connected with winter. Some aren't.

I still have no idea how this became a Christmas song.

Reactions: AshSaturday
As much as I hate Christmas music I hate the fact that after midnight on the 25th you can't find a station anywhere that plays Christmas music. Christmas is a season-lots of visiting is done in the week before New Year's Day. Also doesn't the catholic church celebrate 12 days of Christmas?
The traditional Twelve Days of Christmas runs from Christmas Day (December 25) to the Feast of the Epiphany (January 6), the day commemorating the visit of the Three Kings / Magi / Wise Men. Known as Three Kings Day and/or Little Christmas, this day is celebrated as a second Christmas in some Latino cultures.

In the Catholic liturgical calendar, the Christmas season actually continues through the following Sunday, the feast of the Baptism of Jesus.

Garth Brooks is singing this on TV as I read this.. kinda creepy..and the song bites.

Best line in the song (sung by her): Say what's in this drink?

Reactions: FanuSanu52
no such thing as overplayed Christmas songs
I guess I am a sucker, because I agree with bac. Very few songs I don't like. They just instantly bring me back to a happy, care free time. We play them on the weekend afternoon/evenings between T-day and new years. I can only hope my kids get the same effect when they are bitter and jaded like their old man. It's a nice escape.

People love saying this. You have to view the song in context of social expectations at the time it was written, right after WW2.

A woman was supposed to play hard to get. However, women just went back into the kitchen after having run the country while the men were fighting. It was the very beginning of women's sexual freedom, but there was still a lingering expectation of chastity that bound women from ever saying "yes" when she wanted. She never once says "I think you are ugly and obnoxious." She's worried about what the neighbors might think. So there has to be an innocent, non sexual, pretext for her to socially be able to say yes. Baby its cold outside. You might get sick. The snow is up to your knees. As he is doing the necessary convincing, she makes her true feelings plain - "at least I'm gonna say that I tried." If you watch the performances of this song, the lady's body language is very warm and flirtatious, and she very obviously wants to be with this man, and the only enemy to be defeated is the burden of chastity that was forced opon this woman by society by her parents, her brother, the neighbors, society.

This song was great, as it represented a young man and woman, both dft, giving their parents and paternalistic Christian society a big middle finger. It's a very interesting sweet song for our grandparents era for these reasons.
That's quite an analysis

Funny you should say that because it is in no way a traditional Christmas song. It is from The Sound of Music, a movie/play that has nothing to do with Christmas. The song itself has nothing to do with Christmas. Governess Maria sings it to calm the kids who are scared in a thunderstorm. Some of the favorite things she cites are connected with winter. Some aren't.

I still have no idea how this became a Christmas song.

That's because it was JUST on TV (Sunday?) and it's on TV this time of year (great family movie) every year. And I bet you were watching. This year I WAS-all 4 hours. Actually I had just experienced one of my favorite things (no not what you think-a BIG win by the playoff bound G-Men!).
One of the greatest movies of all time-my Mother's (RIP) favorite!

I guess I am a sucker, because I agree with bac. Very few songs I don't like. They just instantly bring me back to a happy, care free time. We play them on the weekend afternoon/evenings between T-day and new years. I can only hope my kids get the same effect when they are bitter and jaded like their old man. It's a nice escape.

"Bitter and jaded" LOL-1st though a reference to others on the board!

The traditional Twelve Days of Christmas runs from Christmas Day (December 25) to the Feast of the Epiphany (January 6), the day commemorating the visit of the Three Kings / Magi / Wise Men. Known as Three Kings Day and/or Little Christmas, this day is celebrated as a second Christmas in some Latino cultures.

In the Catholic liturgical calendar, the Christmas season actually continues through the following Sunday, the feast of the Baptism of Jesus.

Baptism? It's called the equivalent of the circumcision (Epiphany), no? I assume Jesus was baptized as a Jew. Does the circumcision (at least back in the time of Jesus) happen on the same day as the baptism

Makes me think of 'The Mohel"...

Last edited:
Baptism? It's called the equivalent of the circumcision, no? I assume Jesus was baptized as a Jew. Does t happen on the same day as the baptism.
Makes me think of...
No, very different. As a Jew, Jesus was ritually circumcised as an infant. His baptism came thirty years later as an adult. His cousin John the Baptist was preaching repentance to prepare for the coming Messiah. As such, John was performing full-immersion baptisms to cleanse ritual impurity, which was not uncommon in Jewish tradition. Jesus had no need for repentance, but chose to be baptized anyway as he began his public ministry.

Back in the day, my dad used to get the Firestone Tire Christmas albums each year. My brother probably still has them.

Thats all great .. but none of it has the least bit to do with Christmas. Terrible holiday song.

Can't beat the classics by Nat King Cole, Bing Crosby, Andy Williams, Elvis, or Celtic Woman's "O Holy Night".

The rest is just back round noise.

Well yea. That's a different issue. I agree.

With that agreed upon, good info above. I wasn't sure exactly when it was from, so interesting context.

From now on I'll call it that "song about the chick who coyly wants it". And I sure hope it isn't roofies in her drink, because dude's in for a good time after all that back-and-forth tension.

Reactions: KingHigh

what i lament is why as soon as Christmas day is over, the music stops...as a kid growing up I remember a lengthier period of XMas music all the way through New Years because its the whole season, nowadays it totally stop...take a listen this year

It start in November.

No, very different. As a Jew, Jesus was ritually circumcised as an infant. His baptism came thirty years later as an adult. His cousin John the Baptist was preaching repentance to prepare for the coming Messiah. As such, John was performing full-immersion baptisms to cleanse ritual impurity, which was not uncommon in Jewish tradition. Jesus had no need for repentance, but chose to be baptized anyway as he began his public ministry.

Makes sense as on January 1st (a holy day of obligation unless it falls on a weekend) the Catholic Church celebrates the "Feast of The Epiphany". I was told by my Mother that was the celebration of the circumcision.

think what tires people is the incessant pop melodies.

For those 'haters"-and all I recommend New York's Country Station NASH-FM 94.7. They aren't playing 100% Christmas songs. Also it seems every country artist has a Christmas song so I don't think too many are overplayed. Also the "country sound" is much more refreshing than the same "pop" songs over and over.

Reactions: brgRC90
Hearing that annoying ass hippopotamus song one time a year is overplayed.

what i lament is why as soon as Christmas day is over, the music stops...as a kid growing up I remember a lengthier period of XMas music all the way through New Years because its the whole season, nowadays it totally stop...take a listen this year

Sorry, but this post proves that you should not be allowed to post about music at all. Christmas music is mostly bad and ridiculously overplayed in malls, stores, restaurants, etc. Fortunately, restaurants are the only one of those I'm in a lot.

Reactions: RUaMoose
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT