ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Clemson files suit against ACC

Penn state screwed us as Paterno strung us along with that eastern league football nonsense , which cost us the basketball team not going to the original big east.
Joe Pa always saw Rutgers as a true peer and tried for decades to be in the same conference. Eastern Conference concept, Big East rejecting Penn State, inviting Rutgers to the B1G. He was always on our side. He did his terrible deeds in looking the other way, but at least for the Rutgers aspect he was always helping us.

Joe Pa always saw Rutgers as a true peer and tried for decades to be in the same conference. Eastern Conference concept, Big East rejecting Penn State, inviting Rutgers to the B1G. He was always on our side. He did his terrible deeds in looking the other way, but at least for the Rutgers aspect he was always helping us.
If you don’t understand this you are either too young to remember (excusable) or a historical revisionist (inexcusable). Paterno for all his faults was a stalwart supporter of Rutgers athletics throughout his whole lifetime, to state otherwise is just pure ignorance.

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
many don't realize that RU was even looked at when PSU was admitted

Paterno, may he rot in hell for the not stopping Sandusky, did not fk RU in any way

Reactions: cicero grimes
It's going to fall completely apart.

The biggest brands will exit and they will be stuck with Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Wake Forest, etc.
The ACC will still have a number of programs, many with no viable alternative
It will probably remain in a weakened condition and add a couple of teams from a lower conference, but has potential

The ACC will still have a number of programs, many with no viable alternative
It will probably remain in a weakened condition and add a couple of teams from a lower conference, but has potential
Let's say ACC loses FSU, Clemson, Miami, UNC, VT and UVA. I can see them adding USF, Tulane, UConn, WSU, and Oregon State. After that...geez. The bar is basically full of ugly folks who only get picked up at last call. Maybe Memphis gets an ACC spot?

AAU is nice but not prerequisite for admission.

BIG has yet to tell Nebraska (who is Bama academics bad) to get the AAU back.

Reactions: Ridge 22
watch what ? Non-AAU ND ?
ND is an AAU member.

Money matters but the AAU gives Presidents easy cover that it’s about academics. It’s a must now. Nebraska getting kicked out after admission was a real issue.

Penn state screwed us as Paterno strung us along with that eastern league football nonsense , which cost us the basketball team not going to the original big east.
Not really -- Pitt blew up the Eastern League as much as anybody else. Gruninger wanted us aligned with Penn State and that was the reason we declined the Big East invite in the 78/79 timeframe.

The schools with respect to the Eastern League couldn't come to an agreement on football media coverage and sharing, with Pitt probably feeling they didn't have to take a backseat to Penn State (and they might have been the only school in this part of the country in that position).

Paterno advocated for us to get into the Big 10.

Paterno was a bit of a scumbag for the manner Penn State left the Eastern 8 the first time, but that wasn't directed at us. I think he slipped a note under the door at the conference basketball tournament.

Of course, you wonder what might have happened if Rutgers took the initial BE invite, and Penn State was invited. Then RU-PSU-Syracuse and BC are all in the BE. Does that conference still stand?

Reactions: RUTGERS95
I can see creating a West Wing with OSU, WSU and San Diego St.

Plus a UConn, USF, Memphis, Tulane. A good 7 potential members if some bolt to the Big12 as well.

You stated schools that would jump to join the ACC Conference.

As you stated, I would like the ACC to have a West division like the B1G.

B1G West: UCLA, USC, Oregon and Washington
ACC West: Stanford, Cal, Oregon State and Washington State

I'm sure Stanford and Cal are actually hoping this happens.

No ACC team is going to the Big 12 (WVU would love to be in the ACC). UCF or USF would be petitioning the ACC for admission and UConn would get the ACC into the NYC market with Fairfield County Connecticut which contains 35% of the state population.

New dominate schools will emerge in the ACC to fill the void left by FSU and Clemson who will compete in the National Championship Games while FSU and Clemson may no longer be there.

Additionally, teams like FSU and Clemson would no longer be dominate powers in the B1G or SEC.
Nebraska was a power in their old Conference and look at them now in the B1G.

B1G with Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, USC, UCLA Washington, FSU and Clemson are all going to be 11-1.
What happens to teams such as Michigan State, Rutgers, Nebraska etc going forward.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Exactly-Gruninger hooked RU's wagon to Paterno who said well we dont have all east conferfence with us as king, so we will go to B10. And left us out in the cold.

The initial choice not to go Big East had some rationale to stick with wvu psu and force all sports conference.

But hanging on after is what was indefensible and PSU never wanted us as a legitimate partner back then.

Reactions: MADHAT1

No ACC team is going to the Big 12 (WVU would love to be in the ACC). UCF or USF would be petitioning the ACC for admission and UConn would get the ACC into the NYC market with Fairfield County Connecticut which contains 35% of the state population.

New dominate schools will emerge in the ACC to fill the void left by FSU and Clemson who will compete in the National Championship Games while FSU and Clemson may no longer be there.

Additionally, teams like FSU and Clemson would no longer be dominate powers in the B1G or SEC.

B1G with Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, USC, UCLA Washington, FSU and Clemson are all going to be 11-1.
What happens to teams such as Michigan State, Rutgers, Nebraska etc going forward.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
We all hang on until ownership of the BTN is split (also the CIC, what's done with IP there). That's where the B10 might be more secure from downsizing/contracting.

Reactions: bigmatt718
I would reword that to say New dominant schools will emerge that will get their butts kicked in the 1st round of the CFP.

Shit without FSU and Clemson, all the ACC and Big12 have was TCU and Cincy. In the last 6 years, the ACC would have had only 1 team in a 14 team playoff 5 times (with FSU and Clemson).

Your story has changed in the past year as you see the writing on the wall...... and now you have to tell yourself something different...... but at least be truthful to yourself.

It was all fun and games when they were out to destroy the Big East ..... So now, let them (and FSU) rot.
FSU & Clemson didn’t lead the charge to purge the Big East

Conversely, neither FSU, nor Clemson, will rot - both will leave the ACC, albeit with some sort of a financial penalty, in the next 1-2 years

Both will contribute contending for national championships for the foreseeable future, as both institutions, and their respective (and rather large, passionate and well-healed) fan bases, refuse to accept mediocrity, regardless of the cost

Cuse and BC better get ready to learn AAC, buddy. Either that or they can do what UConn did...terminate their football program to save basketball...or ice hockey in BC's case.
If BC terminated ice hockey, why is Boston College ranked #1 in ice hockey today?
When was the last time Rutgers was ranked #1 in a sport?

Reactions: Jimpeg
Big picture, the ACC has two of its most prominent schools suing it to get the hell out and the ACC is trying to force them stay against their will. Don't care how you spin it if you are the ACC, there is no winning here. They deserve every bit of it too.

Reactions: cicero grimes
ND is AAU as of last summer.
Doesn't matter. Point is the same. Otherwise, are you telling me the B1G wouldn't have taken ND 18 months ago? They have been after them for years. For the last time. AAU is a criteria. Great to have if the stars align, but not required for the right candidate.

Doesn't matter. Point is the same. Otherwise, are you telling me the B1G wouldn't have taken ND 18 months ago? They have been after them for years. For the last time. AAU is a criteria. Great to have if the stars align, but not required for the right candidate.
But AAU status IS a gatekeeper for schools that are not home run targets.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
I think you overstate things with regards to new dominant teams emerging. I suppose maybe Miami could but that's been assumption that hasn't come to fruition for a long time despite their recruiting.

Nonetheless, I have said that there will be opportunities for lower status schools to do things they've never done before and raise their profiles. The B12 is essentially wide open in football and I'd assume the ACC would be as well if/when FSU/Clemson leave. That's opportunity for the schools left behind to achieve some new and uncharted things like CFP playoff appearances and the like just like TCU/Cincy. If they can do it in a 4 team playoff certainly lower status schools can do it in a 12 or 14 team playoff with 5 highest conference champs getting in.

It doesn't mean they will have dominant teams or win national championships (realistically only a handful of programs can but people hit the lotto so won't put the chances at zero but they're low) but they can have teams that qualify for the CFP and potentially win some games in it as well. That's still a good accomplishment if you're a Pitt or Kanas or what have you similar type program.

Reactions: Panthergrowl13
Wow. Phillips should take notice. I heard something bandied about on the interwebs that perhaps the end game for the acc is to dissolve and reform with only the upper tier brands remaining in the league. Clemson fsu unc Miami VA VA tech NC state Duke and maybe 2 others. Having to divide the pie eight ways gives each school more revenue.

Unless FSU and UNC don't have a Seat in the P2, that new conference would still make less money. I wouldn't be surprised if they only made Big12 money.

2 VA schools, 2 NC schools, 2 Florida Schools.. I know markets don't matter as much as 10 years ago, but they still make up a chuck of the revenue.

I could see this if the GOR is thrown out the window and the SEC/B10 do not want to make a move.

With that said, supposedly UNC(as alluded above) and/or Miami might be the next ones to sue the ACC. I don't think anyone else wants out unless it is for free - no money to pay just to join the Big12.

Unless FSU and UNC don't have a Seat in the P2, that new conference would still make less money. I wouldn't be surprised if they only made Big12 money.

2 VA schools, 2 NC schools, 2 Florida Schools.. I know markets don't matter as much as 10 years ago, but they still make up a chuck of the revenue.

I could see this if the GOR is thrown out the window and the SEC/B10 do not want to make a move.

With that said, supposedly UNC(as alluded above) and/or Miami might be the next ones to sue the ACC. I don't think anyone else wants out unless it is for free - no money to pay just to join the Big12.
The schools that are making noise, I’ve already been assured of the seat at the table

The ones were playing nice don’t have the same assurances

It is if you're schools like UConn or Cuse...but their resumes would ensure they'd be denied well before getting to the fact that they don't have AAU statuses.
I get that. But people keep referring to AAU status as a hardline dealbreaker. Simply not the case. Depends on the school. That was my point

Reactions: mosito
Big picture, the ACC has two of its most prominent schools suing it to get the hell out and the ACC is trying to force them stay against their will. Don't care how you spin it if you are the ACC, there is no winning here. They deserve every bit of it too.

No the ACC is forcing them to pay the ACC $$$$/GOR to go as they agreed to.

I actually want those schools to leave since they are not happy in the ACC.

I would prefer them to go to the B1G.

If they don't then the SEC will have 2 schools in South Carolina and Florida.

Lets see if they will remain a football power in either Conference.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
they have, it's the 2036 which is the question as ESPN didn't exercise the clause. As such, intent to leave pior reverts to current dated contract

ACC is going to lose bigly here

I do see Pitt in b12

Reactions: satnom and mosito

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
Kinda like forcing your wife to stay with you based on some technicality while she wants a divorce and nothing to do with you. Always bodes well for the future.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT