ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Clemson files suit against ACC

They're definitely not going to remain a football power in the ACC......... unless the P2 break off and the ACC / Big12 do their own thing. In that scenario football powers will emerge in this lower division.

TX, OK, USC, Ore realized that... so does FSU. rather have a chance in the B10/SEC than no chance in the Big12 or ACC.

You stated schools that would jump to join the ACC Conference.

As you stated, I would like the ACC to have a West division like the B1G.

B1G West: UCLA, USC, Oregon and Washington
ACC West: Stanford, Cal, Oregon State and Washington State

I'm sure Stanford and Cal are actually hoping this happens.

No ACC team is going to the Big 12 (WVU would love to be in the ACC). UCF or USF would be petitioning the ACC for admission and UConn would get the ACC into the NYC market with Fairfield County Connecticut which contains 35% of the state population.

New dominate schools will emerge in the ACC to fill the void left by FSU and Clemson who will compete in the National Championship Games while FSU and Clemson may no longer be there.

Additionally, teams like FSU and Clemson would no longer be dominate powers in the B1G or SEC.
Nebraska was a power in their old Conference and look at them now in the B1G.

B1G with Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, USC, UCLA Washington, FSU and Clemson are all going to be 11-1.
What happens to teams such as Michigan State, Rutgers, Nebraska etc going forward.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

At least you’re finally coming around on this topic. The ACC is about to get poached. Time to plan for that eventuality.

Reactions: mosito
Kinda like forcing your wife to stay with you based on some technicality while she wants a divorce and nothing to do with you. Always bodes well for the future.
It's always just been a matter of when and how much. If nothing happened, the ACC would have lost some schools in the 2030s and the costs would have been less. Now it's being sped up and the costs will be more.

But given that, the ACC is doing what they should. You milk the cow as much as you can for as long as you can. The same way CBS milked that sweet SEC tv deal right to the end. They get nothing negotiating because the schools want to leave and will as soon as possible.

Assuming there isn't some mass exodus (I don't think there will be enough spots in the SEC/B10), the ACC will be like the B12 imo. It's six of one and half dozen of another, the difference is negligible. If anything being in the east time zone might give a slight edge to the ACC. I still think a WVU/UCF coming east is more likely than a Pitt or whomever going west.

It's always just been a matter of when and how much. If nothing happened, the ACC would have lost some schools in the 2030s and the costs would have been less. Now it's being sped up and the costs will be more.

But given that, the ACC is doing what they should. You milk the cow as much as you can for as long as you can. The same way CBS milked that sweet SEC tv deal right to the end. They get nothing negotiating because the schools want to leave and will as soon as possible.

Assuming there isn't some mass exodus (I don't think there will be enough spots in the SEC/B10), the ACC will be like the B12 imo. It's six of one and half dozen of another, the difference is negligible. If anything being in the east time zone might give a slight edge to the ACC. I still think a WVU/UCF coming east is more likely than a Pitt or whomever going west.
Don't forget Cincy. the ACC and Big12 would be left with similar schools... the only purpose of the Big12 taking ACC schools would be to take any brand that in doing so would leave the ACC as a 3rd tier school.

Yormark seems to be the type to prefer eliminating the competition.

But i would much rather see Cincy, West Virginia, UCF, and some west schools join the ACC and make it a viable conference slightly behind the Big12...... vs a glorified G5

Don't forget Cincy. the ACC and Big12 would be left with similar schools... the only purpose of the Big12 taking ACC schools would be to take any brand that in doing so would leave the ACC as a 3rd tier school.

Yormark seems to be the type to prefer eliminating the competition.

But i would much rather see Cincy, West Virginia, UCF, and some west schools join the ACC and make it a viable conference slightly behind the Big12...... vs a glorified G5
I've mentioned Cincy as well in that past but less sure of them as I feel about WVU and UCF. They both fit perfectly geographically for the ACC. Cincy not as much so hard to know about them or if the ACC would want them as well. Maybe a UConn is more attractive because of MBB.

Assuming no mass exodus, I'd expect the difference between the ACC and B12 to be negligible financially and schools won't move for a few million bucks but would move if the fit works better geographically or for tens of millions of dollars.

Yormark has been bold and pioneering (example conference wide B12 NFL pro day) but regardless of how bold he is there's only so much you can do if other inherent factors work against you like geography or lack of substantive financial disparity.

I've mentioned Cincy as well in that past but less sure of them as I feel about WVU and UCF. They both fit perfectly geographically for the ACC. Cincy not as much so hard to know about them or if the ACC would want them as well. Maybe a UConn is more attractive because of MBB.

Assuming no mass exodus, I'd expect the difference between the ACC and B12 to be negligible financially and schools won't move for a few million bucks but would move if the fit works better geographically or for tens of millions of dollars.

Yormark has been bold and pioneering (example conference wide B12 NFL pro day) but regardless of how bold he is there's only so much you can do if other inherent factors work against you like geography or lack of substantive financial disparity.
I give yormark credit for trying to think outside the box. Getting his media deal done early helped kill the pac 12. His next move will probably be the bifurcation of his basketball rights from football to try to increase value. He may not succeed but at least he is trying to be creative. Phillips has had an entirely different approach.

I give yormark credit for trying to think outside the box. Getting his media deal done early helped kill the pac 12. His next move will probably be the bifurcation of his basketball rights from football to try to increase value. He may not succeed but at least he is trying to be creative. Phillips has had an entirely different approach.
It has been mentioned and I could definitely see him exploring the idea of selling CBB rights separate from football. Of course that depends on the desirability from the networks. Can they get more money for them separately than together, I dont know.

Reactions: cicero grimes
The Canes appear to be happy to be 50 mil/year behind their peers

Reactions: cicero grimes

…until they are not..which should be very soon. Once UNC sues, they will be next, citing a “recent change in the environment”

They may realize they have no where to go. While culturally they may be a better fit for the b1g than fsu which is probably a better sec fit, I do not think the b1g wants the u.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. The real tipping point is when or if UNC files. FSU seems like they would be B1G bound while Clemson looks like they would be SEC bound. They wouldn't have filed lawsuits without knowing they they would have a landing spot in the Super 2. FSU buried the ACC and ESPN in their lawsuit. While Clemson barely mention ESPN in their lawsuit and were neutral when they did. Those are clues to where they think they are going. FSU actively trying to get AAU membership when Clemson isn't in any rush. FSU would have a much better shot at getting it if they join the B1G. UF still holds a lot of power in the SEC and they have been steadfast on not wanting another Florida school in the SEC. South Carolina is not a founding member and doesn't have enough clout to block Clemson, like Texas A&M they will just have to go with it for the greater good. The Big Ten has wanted to get a Florida school in the conference since before adding Rutgers and Maryland, but UF (non starter) and FSU were the only two they would consider. Now FSU is closer than ever to finally being available. It is a no brainer.

UNC is the key, since they are the 3rd biggest brand and the only other full time member that is worth adding the the Super 2. They are also a good fit for both conferences and would make a great partner for either school. Though it makes more sense for them to join the SEC with Clemson.

Once that happens, ESPN can just not renew the current contract and instead negotiate in 26-27. How much would a FSU, Clemson, UNC less ACC be worth? Apple TV was only willing to give the PAC-12 $20 million per school WITH Oregon and Washington. It will not be pretty.

That is when UND will have to make a tough decision. Playing 5 games against a weak ACC will make it much tougher for them to make the playoffs. More so since the top SEC and B1G schools will have little reason to schedule them, too high risk for little reward. Both will want to get as many schools as possible into the playoffs. Only the schools that have no chance to make the playoffs would want to schedule UND just to sell more tickets.

Less money per year plus a much harder path to make the playoffs might finally get them to bail on the ACC. Then they can finally join the Big Ten as the 20th and final school. This always seem like a pipedream before, but this feels like it make actually happen this time around.

That said I don't see the ACC going away purely because most of the schools in the ACC have little to no value to the Big Ten or the SEC. Instead I can see them becoming the smallest power 4 or the biggest Group of 6 conference. Some more might leave for the Big12 if ESPN really low balls them with the new contract, but the Big12 could only take 2-4 schools tops. ACC can always merge with whatever is left of the dead Pac-12 and add Uconn or whatever.

Reactions: mosito
This is just the tip of the iceberg. The real tipping point is when or if UNC files. FSU seems like they would be B1G bound while Clemson looks like they would be SEC bound. They wouldn't have filed lawsuits without knowing they they would have a landing spot in the Super 2. FSU buried the ACC and ESPN in their lawsuit. While Clemson barely mention ESPN in their lawsuit and were neutral when they did. Those are clues to where they think they are going. FSU actively trying to get AAU membership when Clemson isn't in any rush. FSU would have a much better shot at getting it if they join the B1G. UF still holds a lot of power in the SEC and they have been steadfast on not wanting another Florida school in the SEC. South Carolina is not a founding member and doesn't have enough clout to block Clemson, like Texas A&M they will just have to go with it for the greater good. The Big Ten has wanted to get a Florida school in the conference since before adding Rutgers and Maryland, but UF (non starter) and FSU were the only two they would consider. Now FSU is closer than ever to finally being available. It is a no brainer.

UNC is the key, since they are the 3rd biggest brand and the only other full time member that is worth adding the the Super 2. They are also a good fit for both conferences and would make a great partner for either school. Though it makes more sense for them to join the SEC with Clemson.

Once that happens, ESPN can just not renew the current contract and instead negotiate in 26-27. How much would a FSU, Clemson, UNC less ACC be worth? Apple TV was only willing to give the PAC-12 $20 million per school WITH Oregon and Washington. It will not be pretty.

That is when UND will have to make a tough decision. Playing 5 games against a weak ACC will make it much tougher for them to make the playoffs. More so since the top SEC and B1G schools will have little reason to schedule them, too high risk for little reward. Both will want to get as many schools as possible into the playoffs. Only the schools that have no chance to make the playoffs would want to schedule UND just to sell more tickets.

Less money per year plus a much harder path to make the playoffs might finally get them to bail on the ACC. Then they can finally join the Big Ten as the 20th and final school. This always seem like a pipedream before, but this feels like it make actually happen this time around.

That said I don't see the ACC going away purely because most of the schools in the ACC have little to no value to the Big Ten or the SEC. Instead I can see them becoming the smallest power 4 or the biggest Group of 6 conference. Some more might leave for the Big12 if ESPN really low balls them with the new contract, but the Big12 could only take 2-4 schools tops. ACC can always merge with whatever is left of the dead Pac-12 and add Uconn or whatever.
@Scarlet_Scourge Liked your analysis/opinion

The changes in the UNC leaders has apparently shifted towards "SEC leaning". With that said, you can never turn a blind eye as to the additional benefits the B10 brings.

Maybe it is B10-FSU & SEC-Clemson with a brawl going on for UNC. Maybe we we aren't hearing about another school aside from slight Miami rumblings which probably means they are not in consideration unless the B10 strikes out against UNC/ND. Likewise no second school for the SEC, which probably means they are all in on a Clemson/UNC combo.
  • What does the SEC do if B10 gets FSU/UNC? NCState? UVA?
  • What does the B10 do if SEC gets Clemson/UNC? Miami(Fox Market/Lock down Florida)? Georgia Tech(Atlanta, close to FSU)? UVA(Presidents might want)? Or just stay/wait at 19?
  • Does the UNC / NCState Wolfpack Backpack result in Calimony? Have to take both? Nothing?
  • If 3-4 of the above leave the ACC, does ESPN actually not renew. While the contract without FSU, Clemson, UNC is not worth the current amount, it is through 2036... it might be worth that or less in the 2030s... One of the reasons the PAC-12 couldn't get a deal was because it was only a Pacific time window. I can see if only 4 leave and ND remains stubborn, that it gets renewed. You do have a pacific window if they add Oregon State and Wash State. Likely not worth it in 2027, but maybe still a deal in 2035
I will definitely be listening to see where they steers toward.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scarlet_Scourge
bingo was the name-o

Penn state screwed us as Paterno strung us along with that eastern league football nonsense , which cost us the basketball team not going to the original big east.
Which left RU basketball stumbling in the wilderness for the better part of 3 decades while Seton Hall built a pipeline into St Anthony's and were 2 made free throws from a poor foul shooter away from winning a National Championship.

This is what I've said. Can some teams leave? Sure but I don't see enough seats in the B10 and SEC for a mass exodus out of the ACC.

Swarbrick: "My crystal ball is cloudier than it's ever been. That's saying something. I don't see a lot of momentum towards further realignment right now. There are some schools that, if they made a move, might change that. But frankly, we're probably first among that, but we're not likely to.

"I don't see the catalyst right now. The Big Ten and SEC have the assets they need to position themselves for their next media negotiation. I understand the ACC has disgruntled members, but I'm not sure there are better options for them. The ACC's legal position is a very strong one."

notre Lame will make a 12 team playoff every year playing weak acc competition. Bank.

This is what I've said. Can some teams leave? Sure but I don't see enough seats in the B10 and SEC for a mass exodus out of the ACC.

Swarbrick: "My crystal ball is cloudier than it's ever been. That's saying something. I don't see a lot of momentum towards further realignment right now. There are some schools that, if they made a move, might change that. But frankly, we're probably first among that, but we're not likely to.

"I don't see the catalyst right now. The Big Ten and SEC have the assets they need to position themselves for their next media negotiation. I understand the ACC has disgruntled members, but I'm not sure there are better options for them. The ACC's legal position is a very strong one."

that is how out of touch he was and now he is gone. I wonder what the new AD, former NBC Sports chairman Pete Bevacqua thinks? This will all play out over the next few years.

Reactions: Caliknight
When the Acc gets destroyed, ND will have to go to a conference. Their days of leeching off of others is coming to an end.

Reactions: RUNVA

ND voted for ACC expansion and doesn't want the ACC to break up. he's out of touch

that is how out of touch he was and now he is gone. I wonder what the new AD, former NBC Sports chairman Pete Bevacqua thinks? This will all play out over the next few years.
He's retiring because he's 70 not because he's completely out of touch. He's one of the people who said change would be coming in the 2030s...now that time table might be moved up because of FSU pushing but it's not a given the ACC will have some mass exodus.

I myself have said right after Texas/OU left that the B10's strategy should be to go national first in th west and then the east and possibly collapse/weaken the ACC to potentially push ND into a conference. That's possible but not a given.

It doesn't mean it will happen. I don't assume that the networks who are cutting and watching costs will want to pay that many ACC teams B10/SEC rates. For some of them possibly but for as many people are assuming, I wouldn't be so sure.

ND voted for ACC expansion and doesn't want the ACC to break up. he's out of touch
Of course ND doesn't want the ACC to break up but I wouldn't assume that it will. A few teams could leave but I won't assume a lot of them will. I don't assume that the networks will want to pay SEC/B10 rates for so many ACC schools. For some of them sure but for a half of them or what have you, I don't think so. That's why I say I don't think there are so many seats as people assume in the SEC/B10.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT