ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Cold air coming off Jersey water.

Rutgers NJ

Junior
Jun 25, 2023
Shore traffic heading north very early yesterday as the wind and air temperature was extremely cold. We have season passes to Avon and have been there 3 times so far and twice the air was very cold as was the water. I read somewhere where this air temp has been colder than normal coming off the ocean this time of the season, either way, we're packed and ready to give it another try, lol.

Reactions: Scarlet1984
Shore traffic heading north very early yesterday as the wind and air temperature was extremely cold. We have season passes to Avon and have been there 3 times so far and twice the air was very cold as was the water. I read somewhere where this air temp has been colder than normal coming off the ocean this time of the season, either way, we're packed and ready to give it another try, lol.
It’s chilly this morning in the shade Having breakfast out on the porch I had to put a sweatshirt on
It was so foggy last night in the beach from the cold water you couldn’t see the moon rising

What’s th
It’s chilly this morning in the shade Having breakfast out on the porch I had to put a sweatshirt on
It was so foggy last night in the beach from the cold water you couldn’t see the moon rising
Whats the ocean water temperature? Coming down to Spring Lake next week to visit family and hoping the water is at least in the upper 60s.

What’s th

Whats the ocean water temperature? Coming down to Spring Lake next week to visit family and hoping the water is at least in the upper 60s.

The highest I’ve seen posted in Spring Lake has been 63. As I joked with someone yesterday “And I’ll take their word for it.”

Reactions: RUfinally2008
What’s th

Spring Lake surf temp forecasted to be 70 today. Yesterday it was 69.

Reactions: BuggsyRU

It's always been that way. Wind coming off cold water is colder than wind coming off 97F land.

In my Point Pleasant youth it felt like a giant AC was turned on when the wind shifted towards land.

The highest I’ve seen posted in Spring Lake has been 63. As I joked with someone yesterday “And I’ll take their word for it.”

Spring Lake surf temp forecasted to be 70 today. Yesterday it was 69.
Lies.

Which is exactly what I told the badge checker at the North End Pavilion yesterday. LOL

I couldn’t feel my feet. And the deeper I went that not feeling also went up.

The North End pool on the other hand hopefully will be even higher than it was yesterday at 77 degrees. No problem doing my laps.

Lies.

Which is exactly what I told the badge checker at the North End Pavilion yesterday. LOL

The North End pool on the other hand hopefully will be even higher than it was yesterday at 77 degrees. No problem doing my laps.
It was on the internet- it must be true.

It was freezing at our Beach Patrol HQ all week/The Beach and Boardwalk have been just perfect...The South/SouthEast winds have been steady and cranking...20-30 mph today...We have a weather station on top of building and get excellent data..Lifeguards are in sweatpants and Jackets up on stands ( but still had to strip that off and make 6 water rescues already today )...My office is on 2nd floor with a deck overlooking Beach/Ocean and it was difficult to sit out...Just cold and Wind cranking...We take water temp 2x a day...Registered 58 both times

Last edited:
It was freezing at our Beach Patrol HQ all week...The South/SouthEast winds have been steady and cranking...20-30 mph today...Lifeguards are in sweatpants and Jackets up on stands ( but still had to strip that off and make 6 water rescues today )...My office is on 2nd floor with a deck overlooking Beach/Ocean and it was difficult to sit out...Just cold and Wind cranking...We take water temp 2x a day...Registered 58 both times
This is exactly what I was seeing in other post, water temps from 58-62. Spring Lake at 69-70 I find hard to believe but this chart says it's so. https://seatemperature.info/new-jersey-water-temperature.html

My 10 little 🐷’s beg to differ.

And to make matters worse…the ocean looks like Lake Michigan today (feels like it too), wind is crazy strong AND the pool is colder than yesterday. ☹️
Seemed a little on the warm side to me when I read it.

Temp in my backyard was 85 and felt like 90 Temp 1 mile away at beach was 80 but felt like 65. South East wind will have that effect. Water temp was 61 in Manasquan. As said earlier water temps were warmer the previous 2 weeks. Couldn’t even go in this weekend

That’s why it’s called the world’s largest air condition. I was in sea brite at 4:45 on Thur where at home it was brutal!! It was chilly on the beach! I LOVE the ocean. Didn’t go in. That tells u how chilly it was. Has to be a difference of 25 degree “real feel”. Always a difference of wind comes off the water BUT that’s the craziest I’ve ever seen

Lies.

You’ve been hanging out in my neck of the woods! 🏊 🌊

By the way, anyone who doubts that it’s oddly and annoying windy should try taking a long bike ride heading south on Ocean. Rode up to Long Branch yesterday. Loooong ride back.

Last edited:
Reactions: 29PAS and newell138
It was like that all week. Monday afternoon when I left Old Bridge after playing a round of golf it was in the low 90's, when I got back to Squan it was in the 70's.

Saturday on the beach, it was down right cold when the clouds blocked the sun.

Gorgeous weekend to be on the beach, as long as you aren't a water lover. Jumped in once or twice on Saturday, but just too cold for me to say in long. Air temps with with breeze off the water were just perfect on Saturday. Sunday got a bit chilly, but we just moved back from the water a few yards and all was good. Only problem is with the stiff breeze it was really hard to know if you were getting burnt.

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
One thing great about going to Avon the last 6 years as opposed to when I used to live fairly close to Sandy Hook is no matter which way the wind is blowing we never have to deal with the green heads!

Reactions: Scarlet1984
One thing great about going to Avon the last 6 years as opposed to when I used to live fairly close to Sandy Hook is no matter which way the wind is blowing we never have to deal with the green heads!

Beware the West Wind Patch 2

Posted this in the heatwave thread, but here's a nice explanation of the pattern we had all week from the NWS-Philly (same occurred for NYC/LI), where cooler southerly winds off the cool ocean kept the immediate NJ/DE coast (and sometimes up to several miles inland on some days) much cooler than inland areas, i.e., 15-20F cooler most of the time. Once ocean temps go from the current low 60s into the low/mid-70s in a few weeks, this kind of temperature gradient will be much smaller. In reverse, it's also why the coast is occasionally much warmer than inland in the fall/winter, with winds off the relatively warm ocean water.

I fish at Sandy Hook nearly every day & hav never seen a green head fly there regardless of wind direction, but NEVER go to Island Beach State Park when the wind is from the West, the green heads will lift you up & fly away with you, those bastards draw blood when they bite

I fish at Sandy Hook nearly every day & hav never seen a green head fly there regardless of wind direction, but NEVER go to Island Beach State Park when the wind is from the West, the green heads will lift you up & fly away with you, those bastards draw blood when they bite
live in Middletown and grew up in Toms River and let me tell you that the IBSP is infested with those fkers! brutal

Lies.

I was in the water today and it was a balmy 59 degrees. These water temp websites are all full of crap. The water has been in the 50s for the past ten days.

On Saturday and Sunday, the Squan beach was delightful from 10 AM - 1:30 PM. Both days the wind picked up and it became unbearably windy and cold. Meanwhile, 200 yards west, it's 89 degrees and fairly calm winds. Nuts.

Actually we did encounter green heads at Sandy Hook to the point if the wind was coming off the bay from out of the west we made sure we had repellent and that Skin So Soft made by Avon. A fly swatter was also in the bag for Sandy Hook.

On Saturday and Sunday, the Squan beach was delightful from 10 AM - 1:30 PM. Both days the wind picked up and it became unbearably windy and cold. Meanwhile, 200 yards west, it's 89 degrees and fairly calm winds. Nuts.

Heck there was a temp difference going from the beach to 1st Ave.
I noticed the change on my bike at around 2nd Ave.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT