ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Cold air coming off Jersey water.

Spring Lake surf temp forecasted to be 70 today. Yesterday it was 69.
Water temps in South Jersey over the weekend under 60, 56 on Saturday morning.
I find it funny, according to the OP, that there were people leaving the shore because it was too cold!! 🤣 Like high 60s, 70s is better the 90+ at home. Doubt he was accurate.

• Haha
Reactions: Rutgers NJ
I find it funny, according to the OP, that there were people leaving the shore because it was too cold!! 🤣 Like high 60s, 70s is better the 90+ at home. Doubt he was accurate.
Wellllllll, when the strong wind is coming over 56 degree water it makes the beach cold too.

Some folks just aren't Jersey Shore Bad Dude Surfer Boy Bike Marathoners😁

• Haha
Reactions: WhiteBus
Sure felt like it.
Yesterday was incredibly windy in Asbury Park. It felt like a sunny hurricane. It’s been unusually windy frequently the past 6 months. I wonder if offshore wind turbines have anything to do with it. NY opened a new one off the coast of Long Island this past December. Seems unlikely but you never know.

You just can't help yourself,lol. No matter what thread you have Mets Derangement Syndrome! For your information, when I leave Avon I pass over Rt18 and the Parkway heading west towards Freehold. The Rt18 overpass and Parkway North had tons of cars at around 2:30 heading North but you go right ahead and throw out your derangement opinions. It was cold/windy and the water wasn't inviting. Hence people were leaving in droves, what is so hard to believe? You're the only post in this thread trying to make a mockery of a totally honest observation, please seek some help, lmfao.

Last edited:
You just can't help yourself,lol. No matter what thread you have Mets Derangement Syndrome! For your information, when I leave Avon I pass over Rt18 and the Parkway heading west towards Freehold. The Rt18 overpass and Parkway North had tons of cars at around 2:30 heading North but you go right ahead and throw out your derangement opinions. It was cold/windy and the water wasn't inviting. Hence people were leaving in droves, what is so hard to believe? You're the only post in this thread trying to make a mockery of a totally honest observation, please seek some help, lmfao.
Calm down. On Saturday, early, people are leaving in droves for another reason. Their weekly rentals are done on Saturday at 11am/12. So they have to go home.
It happens every Saturday!

It
Calm down. On Saturday, early, people are leaving in droves for another reason. Their weekly rentals are done on Saturday at 11am/12. So they have to go home.
It happens every Saturday!
It happened a little sooner because of the things mentioned earlier in the thread: a sea breeze with high winds making it colder than normal, cooler ocean temps and those visiting decided to pack it in earlier.

Most places around here (the towns discussed) now do the seasonal thing and not so much the weekly. So while those people probably stuck around the day trippers left earlier than normal.

It

It happened a little sooner because of the things mentioned earlier in the thread: a sea breeze with high winds making it colder than normal, cooler ocean temps and those visiting decided to pack it in earlier.

Most places around here (the towns discussed) now do the seasonal thing and not so much the weekly. So while those people probably stuck around the day trippers left earlier than normal.
I was in Ocean City Friday and Saturday so I felt the same thing. Still better then going back to 102 feels like temp 30 miles inland.

Reactions: FastMJ
I was in Ocean City Friday and Saturday so I felt the same thing. Still better then going back to 102 feels like temp 30 miles inland.
There is also the snowball effect on things like this…once the crowd starts to move, everyone else does (or considers) it too.

Usually the ones who have to drive farther.

There is also the snowball effect on things like this…once the crowd starts to move, everyone else does (or considers) it too.

Usually the ones who have to drive farther.
I think the wind was a bigger decision in keeping people off the beach this past weekend (obviously yesterday too)
You live down there, I grew up in Lavallette and regular June weekly renters (usually cheaper) all know that they better have a hoodie or light jacket this time of year especially in the morning.
I was happy to escape eastern PA for a few days. Heading down again Thursday until Sunday. Current ocean temp is 74 degrees so should be back to normal.

I think the wind was a bigger decision in keeping people off the beach this past weekend (obviously yesterday too)
You live down there, I grew up in Lavallette and regular June weekly renters (usually cheaper) all know that they better have a hoodie or light jacket this time of year especially in the morning.
I was happy to escape eastern PA for a few days. Heading down again Thursday until Sunday. Current ocean temp is 74 degrees so should be back to normal.

I don't think its 74 degrees, walking the beach yesterday it still felt very cold, i'd say mid 60s

I throw two sweatshirts in the locker just because of that.

And once it starts moving the sand (that stings), I’m outta there.

I don't think its 74 degrees, walking the beach yesterday it still felt very cold, i'd say mid 60s
That's what is posted this morning in Ocean City where it was as low as 56 over the weekend .Water temps change drastically in a day if conditions are right. And location.

Reactions: newell138
Bermuda High causes an east wind and cold water from deep to upwell. During the day ground heats faster than water causing air over the ground to rise. Air from over the ocean has to fill the vacuum.

Shore traffic heading north very early yesterday as the wind and air temperature was extremely cold. We have season passes to Avon and have been there 3 times so far and twice the air was very cold as was the water. I read somewhere where this air temp has been colder than normal coming off the ocean this time of the season, either way, we're packed and ready to give it another try, lol.
How crowded does Avon's beach get on good weather summer weekends. Spent a number of summers there in the early 80s.
Was thinking of maybe getting a place there but I hear the beaches are extremely crowded.

Beware the West Wind Patch 2
oh I had to order that.. as for this thread... cold air down the shore in summer = FANTASTIC DAY! cue Haircut 100 song.

Reactions: RU848789
Was visiting my son in Ocean City MD over weekend. Water temp 63 degrees. Limb numbing. Wind 25-35 mph constant. Inland (3 miles) air temp 97 F. Crazy.

Sea bright has been unbearable the last 7-10 days. Yesterday am/early afternoon being the lone outlier where the wind wasn't bad. I've never seen such prolonged cold windy weather at the beach in years, if ever. It's merely chilly in the am, but by 2 in the afternoon it rips again, bringing the temp into the low 70s and makes being on the sand terrible unless you want to be a chicken cutlet. I watched the gradient go from 73-94 in less than a mile leaving the beach the other day. Bonkers

Reactions: newell138
How crowded does Avon's beach get on good weather summer weekends. Spent a number of summers there in the early 80s.
Was thinking of maybe getting a place there but I hear the beaches are extremely crowded.
It's not so the beach, it's the parking. Last summer they took away around 600 spots, doing away with the angle parking the first 4 streets along the entire waterfront. Only parallel parking and a lot of the residents to save spots in front of their homes for visiting relatives will move a car from a driveway to a street spot when someone leaves and vise versa. I've gotten lucky most days on a side street not further than 2nd street on weekdays or weekends but I get there before 9:30 am.

It's not so the beach, it's the parking. Last summer they took away around 600 spots, doing away with the angle parking the first 4 streets along the entire waterfront. Only parallel parking and a lot of the residents to save spots in front of their homes for visiting relatives will move a car from a driveway to a street spot when someone leaves and vise versa. I've gotten lucky most days on a side street not further than 2nd street on weekdays or weekends but I get there before 9:30 am.
Not the driveway my good man, the lane. 🧐

LOL

• Haha
Not the greatest song but I love the goofy video!!
I suppose their hits were Love Plus One and Favourite Shirts .. both better tunes.. so 80s... while they did not corner the market on goofy 80s video.. they were proficient.

"in this one, we'll all wear big Irish sweaters.. I mean jumpers... and we're in a bowling club!"

"That's sooo Rock and Rolly ay?

Last edited:
Reactions: WhiteBus
Water temp is 56 degrees today. WTF
Here’s what I’ve been doing…get the courage to go in, dunk my head, and then run up and get into the North End Pavilion pool as soon as possible for some lap work. Been lucky there as that pool is been in the high 70s for awhile now.

What gets me is when the SL guards report the ocean temp is much higher than what is on the sandwich board on the boardwalk.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT