ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Cold air coming off Jersey water.

I went down after the storm blew through. Usually go later in the day for less direct sun.

Rode my bike and got there around 6:30pm. The ocean in Spring Lake felt like it 10 degrees warmer than yesterday.

Good waves too. But I wanted to get my laps in too (North End pool closes at 8pm). I always promise the pool guards I will not be the last one or the guy who keeps them there.

Gorgeous evening.

I went down after the storm blew through. Usually go later in the day for less direct sun.

Rode my bike and got there around 6:30pm. The ocean in Spring Lake felt like it 10 degrees warmer than yesterday.

Good waves too. But I wanted to get my laps in too (North End pool closes at 8pm). I always promise the pool guards I will not be the last one or the guy who keeps them there.

Gorgeous evening.
Interesting. We didn't get a drop of rain down here. Totally blue sky all day.

I'm a mid-afternoon beach guy, for the same reason. I just show up with a chair and a can of alcohol (which I drink after a run), so I'm totally unprotected from el sol...

Reactions: newell138
Sandwich board said 62 today in Spring Lake today.

But IMO it felt warmer.🤷‍♂️
Mid 50s this morning but definitely warmer in the afternoon. The coldest stretch I’ve experienced in July.

Mid 50s this morning but definitely warmer in the afternoon. The coldest stretch I’ve experienced in July.
Went in a little earlier than usual because the swim team had a meet and they shut the pool down by 4:45pm.

Supposed to be at the South End (ocean water) but it was too cold for the little cherubs. LOL

• Haha
Reactions: Scarlet1984
Didn’t go in past my feet last week, but thankfully did some swimming in the bay.

Watching the British Open and they show some people in the water and said the water temp is about 55 degrees. That’s the same as here. Crazy.

Was in the Shinnecock Bay yesterday out in the Hamptons for clams.

I know it’s not the ocean but where we were, the Shinnecock Inlet was right there so it was close.

Not bad. 👍

Was in the Shinnecock Bay yesterday out in the Hamptons for clams.

I know it’s not the ocean but where we were, the Shinnecock Inlet was right there so it was close.

Not bad. 👍
The Hamptons?

118d3c5a6901f7d03434cfcc60cfc15e.jpg

I said last Sunday was the best all summer in Atlantic City (I walked along the beach into Ventnor, as usual, so I'll say the same for that locality). Today was even better...
Beautiful beach day today!! Finally got in the water and it’s already July 21!! I’d estimate water temps around 69 today

Water has been great lately at the beach. Yellow flag day today but I thought it was pretty manageable. Thought.

I bumped into a friend and he had flippers on so I swam out with him to where it seemed calmer. I was waved in by the guards. We were a good 50+ yards out.

I made it back to shore by myself but that’s the closest I have felt to drowning in a few decades. The water just made you work. And the waves were unrelenting. Swallowed and breathed my share of water. I was “this close” to waving my hand for help.

When I made it back in, the lifeguard hopped off the stand and calmly confirmed that I was ok. The good news is that he clearly had one eye on me the entire time!

Whew.

Regrettably, I told my wife and I’m not sure I’m “allowed” to go in over my head anymore!

Red flags today in AP, but they let you in to about waist height. No boogie boards. Strong current. Had to be 40 surfers on the surfing beach on 8th. Great day for them with the west wind.

Reactions: Scarlet1984
Water has been great lately at the beach. Yellow flag day today but I thought it was pretty manageable. Thought.

I bumped into a friend and he had flippers on so I swam out with him to where it seemed calmer. I was waved in by the guards. We were a good 50+ yards out.

I made it back to shore by myself but that’s the closest I have felt to drowning in a few decades. The water just made you work. And the waves were unrelenting. Swallowed and breathed my share of water. I was “this close” to waving my hand for help.

When I made it back in, the lifeguard hopped off the stand and calmly confirmed that I was ok. The good news is that he clearly had one eye on me the entire time!

Whew.

Regrettably, I told my wife and I’m not sure I’m “allowed” to go in over my head anymore!
Red flags today in AP, but they let you in to about waist height. No boogie boards. Strong current. Had to be 40 surfers on the surfing beach on 8th. Great day for them with the west wind.
3e17bca4-89fe-49a9-b38d-86d1f4a336ec_text.gif

Big, big waves today in Spring Lake.

But the water was so warm it was worth the risk.

My Wife and I stayed until after 7, and we saw some who probably shouldn’t have ventured in. Considering the lifeguards leave at 6.

She watched the female version of @Scarlet1984 get swept closer and closer to the jetty. So close it got her out of her chair.

I on the other hand watched like this:

kx2z4u0mdpa11.gif

The woman made it out okay. Tired, but she’ll live.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT