ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Dick Groat dead at 92

RUhasarrived

All American
May 7, 2007
The 1960 NL MVP at short for the Pirates and a 1950's All-American at point guard for Duke has left us.

That's another Pirates' player from 1957-when I saw my first MLB game in Jersey City-who has gone on to that big diamond in the sky.

Reactions: RURod
The 1960 NL MVP at short for the Pirates and a 1950's All-American at point guard for Duke has left us.

That's another Pirates' player from 1957-when I saw my first MLB game in Jersey City-who has gone on to that big diamond in the sky.
Also played short for the Cards...circa 1964 (when the Cards had an All Star Infield: White, Javier, Boyer / Groat).

RIP

MO

Saw Dodgers and Pirates in JC also

Three of the Pirates regulars from that '57 game died in the past 2 years.
Bill Virdon passed in '21,Thomas and Groat died this year.
Skinner,Foiles and Mazeroski are still with us.
5 of the 8 lived to at least 90 with Maz still on the clock(My tribute to the NFL draft.)

8 time all star, 2 time World Series Champion. Batting Champion in 1960 the year he won his MVP.
Besides Duke he played for the the Fort Wayne Pistons (now Detroit). Was the 3rd pick of the draft. Player of the year. After one season both baseball and basketball took a back seat to the Armed Forces for 2 years. The Pirates required him to choose to play just 1 sport upon his return.
He is in the basketball HOF.
He was a great golfer too. Once retired he built a Championship golf course in Pennsylvania.
Great Uncle to Bruce Koepka.
Guy lived a full life!

An excellent ball player. Not the greatest SS, but a very, very good one. Lacked a bit of range but very smart in his positioning. A very good hitter--a line drive, right field hitter[righty stick]. Also a leader and a winner. Lost 2 prime years to military service. Batting champ & MVP. Not to mention that he was a great hooper. Two time All American at Duke. Drafted 3rd overall in the NBA draft by the Fort Wayne Pistons. Played in the NBA, however Branch Rickey insisted that he drop Hoops if he was going to play baseball.
After Dodgers left Brooklyn, I adopted the Pirates & followed them for years. Got to see him plenty. He also had excellent years with the Cardinals & another one with the Phils. Should be in the Hall.
RIP Dick.

Last edited:
You can’t spell Groat without GOAT. He may not have been the best ss ever but what a great athlete and team leader. As an avid Yankee hater I am happy to note that his 60 Pirates and 64 Cards beat the Yankees in the WS. Groat was one of my all time faves in my mid-1950’s little league days.

You can’t spell Groat without GOAT. He may not have been the best ss ever but what a great athlete and team leader. As an avid Yankee hater I am happy to note that his 60 Pirates and 64 Cards beat the Yankees in the WS. Groat was one of my all time faves in my mid-1950’s little league days.
No Yankee fan here either. The 60 Pirates & 64 Cards were great teams. Yes, great Series wins by them.

Another MLB player from my youth that is gone
A good shortstop even when Dr.Strange-glove was at first

As the Times obit says, Groat also played in the NBA. Some of you will remember Gene Conley, the Red Sox pitcher who played NBA basketball in the off-season.

I was a Yankees fan as a kid, and I can well remember Groat's outstanding play in the 1960 and 1964 World Series.'

As the Times obit says, Groat also played in the NBA. Some of you will remember Gene Conley, the Red Sox pitcher who played NBA basketball in the off-season.

I was a Yankees fan as a kid, and I can well remember Groat's outstanding play in the 1960 and 1964 World Series.'
Yes I remember Conley. Obviously Conley was a fine athlete, but Groat was much better at both sports.

Yes I remember Conley. Obviously Conley was a fine athlete, but Groat was much better at both sports.
i remember Conley as well as , one time Knick , Dave DeBusschere pitching for the White Sox .
Dave also was Ron Reed's HC when Reed played for the Detroit Pistons then left for a pretty good baseball career

i remember Conley as well as , one time Knick , Dave DeBusschere pitching for the White Sox .
Dave also was Ron Reed's HC when Reed played for the Detroit Pistons then left for a pretty good baseball career
In addition, Danny Ainge played both sports professionally. He said he preferred baseball because of the lifestyle but he couldn't hit well enough to stick in the majors. Thanks for reminding me about DeBusschere. Conley was also a pitcher. Height is beneficial for a pitcher as well as for a basketball player.

Reactions: MADHAT1
In addition, Danny Ainge played both sports professionally.
I always wondered how Ainge could still be allowed to play NCAA basketball while playing MLB.

X years after, that one NW football kid couldn’t be paid, or take part in something with acting, because of football.

Always wondered how/why. The one situation was about a guy being paid to be a professional athlete and the other had nothing to do with athletics. But the allowances seemed opposite of logic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT