ADVERTISEMENT

OT: DirecTV loses rights to NFL Sunday ticket

This is a disaster for bar and restaurant owners. Almost all of them have DirecTV to ensure they can show all NFL, MLB, NHL and NBA games. Now they all have to reconfigure to stream 10 games at once every Sunday? Ridiculous!

Reactions: miket007
DirecTV got do bad I finally got rid of it even so I loved having the Sunday Ticket, I got tired of them of always finding ways to pad your bill, especially after you found ways to bring it down.

This has to be an improvement.

Reactions: newell138
This is a disaster for bar and restaurant owners. Almost all of them have DirecTV to ensure they can show all NFL, MLB, NHL and NBA games. Now they all have to reconfigure to stream 10 games at once every Sunday? Ridiculous!
Not sure it's a disaster, it might be cheaper in the long run dumping DirecTV and going with other services. It's not cheap for bars to have the right to show games.

Direct TV still has the rights for bars and restaurants just like they do for TNF.
Doesn't sound like that, at least not yet:

For those who kept that awful service just for Sunday ticket, you missed the loophole. If you know a college student, you can get just the ticket without Directv for (I think) $200 for the whole season. I know, too late now.

Reactions: Terry_2426
Now going to Google owned Youtube TV. Big loss for DTV. I know I am one of many that due to being a fan of a team outside of my local market had Directv only because they had Sunday Ticket.
Great news. DirectTV blows. YouTubeTV is already integrated into my cable box, so it will be easy to use.

For those who kept that awful service just for Sunday ticket, you missed the loophole. If you know a college student, you can get just the ticket without Directv for (I think) $200 for the whole season. I know, too late now.
How did that work ?

I had DirectTV for over 15 years. AT&T bought them and the company went downhill. I like YouTube TV - it is comparable to DirectTV (though with fewer channels). Plus, no dish on my fascia board anymore.

Reactions: AntiG
Directv gave me NFL Sunday Ticket Max the last 2 years for free. Last year they just sent me an email, as well as others, to do so.

This year, no email. So I called and asked for “Retention”. I do this every year for a discount. I told them I got the ticket last year for free. Could I have it again? Nice southern lady starting talking SEC football with me and hooked it up. No new contract no nothing. Just free. So it was nice while it lasted. Won’t buy it from Google most likely. Simple enough to stream games for free right to your tv.

I think the ticket is worth it if you’re a big fan of a non local team . But if you’re a fan of the local team you get all the games and can see enough other stuff with red zone. Do most people feel this way ?
I am a Giants fan and if I moved out of the area I would get the ticket for the games .
Kinda crazy to think about it, but college games I.e rutgers games are easier to get out of market than NFL games.

Directv gave me NFL Sunday Ticket Max the last 2 years for free. Last year they just sent me an email, as well as others, to do so.

This year, no email. So I called and asked for “Retention”. I do this every year for a discount. I told them I got the ticket last year for free. Could I have it again? Nice southern lady starting talking SEC football with me and hooked it up. No new contract no nothing. Just free. So it was nice while it lasted. Won’t buy it from Google most likely. Simple enough to stream games for free right to your tv.
I've done this and had the free email thing a few times during my DirecTV time. I gave it up once I had kids and had no time to really take advantage of enjoying my Sundays.

Reactions: MulletCork
DTV wanted no part of the Sunday ticket. They are bleeding subscribers.

Hell, didn't even need to know a college student. Just needed the name, DOB and school of a college student. It was $100 per season but the last two seasons it was $125. Really hope it continues at YT.

Hell, didn't even need to know a college student. Just needed the name, DOB and school of a college student. It was $100 per season but the last two seasons it was $125. Really hope it continues at YT.
This is true. But I asked the kid's dad if he minded a small amount of identity fraud before just stealing the info.

This may be great news for DirectTVStream subscribers. Due to having NFL Ticket, DirectTVStream could not offer NFL Network. Hopefully they do now because DirectTVStream is the only service that has all the sports channels I need (and only one with YES).

The nfl has pretty much single handedly kept direct tv in business for years. I’m excited to see what YouTube does with it. I’d love to see a pay per view by game option.
I'd guess any changes like that would need approval from the NFL.

The nfl has pretty much single handedly kept direct tv in business for years. I’m excited to see what YouTube does with it. I’d love to see a pay per view by game option.
Huh ? I thought directv lost money on the deal and that’s why they didn’t want back in

Reactions: B0ski
Having had Directv for a while, I can't imagine another reason why anyone would want it. Terrible customer service, always adding to your bill, and signal goes out in any bad weather.

From the article:

Beginning next season, “Sunday Ticket” will be offered in two ways through YouTube: either as an add-on to its YouTube TV service, a digital TV bundle that mirrors the traditional pay-TV package, or a la carte through YouTube’s Primetime Channels.

While pricing hasn’t been determined, consumers will likely get more bang for their buck by subscribing to YouTubeTV and adding on “Sunday Ticket,” which shows out-of-market NFL games on Sunday afternoons. It’ll also give them access to nearly all NFL games in one place. Google’s YouTube TV bundle includes

I'm hoping for an option to only buy one team, like mlb.tv has.
That option always sounds ideal since I only watch Yankees games but isn't discounted enough. For the extra $20, I'll get the full package for benefits like being able to choose home/away broadcast Yankees games. Should be like half the price of the full MLB.TV.

Reactions: mikebal9
And glad to see the NFL switch to YouTube TV. Have zero interest in a satellite package, ever, but will probably switch to YouTube from Hulu for next football season.

That's what Google is likely hoping. It's a way to get more YouTubeTV subscribers.
For sure. I won't be switching because of that, but it is a nice potential bonus, especially if they get the PPV going.

Planned to switch this year but got lazy. Sick of Hulu's commercials and sign-ins — time to try something different.

Great news. DirectTV blows. YouTubeTV is already integrated into my cable box, so it will be easy to use.
I have YouTubeTV and love it. No cable box involved. Cut the cord right after I subscribed. Never had DirectTV and not really interested in Sunday Ticket. I just watch recorded Jets and Giants games whenever I find the time to watch them.
BTW, with YouTubeTV I automatically record all B1G Football games and all of the Bowl games. Also B1G, ACC, BigEast and NCAA Tournament Basketball games. They give you the ability to do that. It's all recorded in the Cloud and available for 9 months after its recorded.

Unless you are a fan of an out of market team (a Ravens fan living in North Jersey) then the offering of Sunday Ticket is mitigated by the Red Zone. Red Zone does a great job of capturing relevant action for fantasy players and gamblers.

I have YouTubeTV and love it. No cable box involved. Cut the cord right after I subscribed. Never had DirectTV and not really interested in Sunday Ticket. I just watch recorded Jets and Giants games whenever I find the time to watch them.
BTW, with YouTubeTV I automatically record all B1G Football games and all of the Bowl games. Also B1G, ACC, BigEast and NCAA Tournament Basketball games. They give you the ability to do that. It's all recorded in the Cloud and available for 9 months after its recorded.
Big fan of YouTube TV. It works great for me but I’m a Met fan and the have SNY but not YES for the JV team in NY.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT