ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Dogs or Cats

I was never crazy about cats. I wasn't surprised to read (NYC medical examiner book) cats will eat their dead owners (dogs wont). Then I saw how a young teen sister got on with one and saw them different. Neat and tidy, cats are more like girls (not to mention like like being petted and then bite you lol). Latter on we had had a gray cat (often called "blue") and it was a very chilled-out cat. You could start a vacuum next to it and it barely would blink where many cats freak.

I like dogs most but not the bigs ones that slobber and leave big poops. I like mutts. Pure breds can have too many physical and mental problems

http://purrfectcatbreeds.com/cat-breeds-list/grey-cat-breeds/

Google "My Dog the Paradox." Pretty funny comic.

I live in China now and had never owned a cat before. My girlfriend and I took in a cat that was hiding in the maintenance area of our building. He had belonged to someone before as he was already neutered but we couldn't find the owner. It's not uncommon for people to throw away their pets for any number of reasons that we would find ridiculous. Our cat is very loving, comes when you call his name (after yawning and stretching first, but he comes), and is the perfect pet.

After having our cat for a few months I really missed not having a dog. I started doing some volunteering and helping the crazy amount of homeless dogs in china. Last June was the annual dog meat torture/slaughter in the Chinese city of Yulin. Marc Ching's Animal Hope and Wellness Foundation rescued 1000 dogs. This such large number of dogs wasn't anticipated and last minute accommodations needed to be made. There is some controversy over this rescue and what happened to hundreds of the dogs, but that's a story for another day. Anyway, my little dog was among the 1000. The "shelter" she was brought to was overwhelmed with the numbers and horrible conditions to begin with. My dog was sick with parvo, had serious infections in both eyes, emaciated and malnourished, and in her captivity had both her hind legs tied together so tightly with wire that the tendons in her left hind leg were severely damaged. She was brought to the "left to die" area. One woman to whom I am forever grateful, did not give up on little Nida. This woman took her and about 10 other dogs on her own in a rented van to various clinics to get them treatment. The vet clinic is where I met Nida and brought her home as soon as she recovered, although she has only the use of three legs. She was terrified of everything. She would only move with some encouragement, It took her a week to step on the carpet for the first time on her own. Nida is now the happiest little creature I have ever met. After 6 months, even with just 3 legs, she found the courage to jump up on the bed. When she made it up, I swear my girlfriend and I have never seen an animal or person for that matter so happy and proud of themselves. We still laugh about it, and how our cat was like "ah crap, now she can reach me up here." Her one year anniversary with us is in a couple of weeks.

So both cats and dogs can be equally awesome ( I do prefer dogs). But I just urge when looking for a new companion to adopt. There are so many animals needing homes. They may not look "perfect" but their love for you will be forever.
ByDeHA0.jpg
ByDeHA0.jpg

Last edited:
Cats. If I feel the need for companionship I'll get married again. If you want to head out of town for a few days and you own a cat you need to do nothing more than fill up a sauce pan full of water and kick over an open bag of cat food and you're good to go. Not so with a dog.

I was only a dog guy until my wife adopted a cat. SJ is my best friend. More affectionate, playful, self sufficient than any other pet I've ever had. He's truly become a son. My little buddy. I guess I'm a lucky cat owner because this relationship is far and few between.

So you named your cat after Saint Johns (SJ)? Ok, I would have preferred RU ...

I have always had a dog or two never a cat. But I do have about 48 doves...

I don't have to walk a cat in the rain.

That's pretty much it.

If it matters, I like other people's dogs better than other people's cats.

Reactions: RuRats27
I had various dogs growing up, and had a tuxedo cat also that I brought home from a friend's house when I was around 7 years old. Dogs are great but like other said, are high maintenance compared to cats and are also somewhat gross.

When I went away to college, my parents would tell me that my cat would go into my old room and stand on my bed and do this sort of moan.. just about every day. He missed me and was grieving my having moved away. Was really sad... his health declined while I was in school and parents had to put him down. It's total horseshit that cats don't develop a relationship with their owners. My cat had a friendship with my friends and even our neighbors. One day, when the kids aren't babies anymore... I will get another tuxedo cat. They are excellent pets.

I had various dogs growing up, and had a tuxedo cat also that I brought home from a friend's house when I was around 7 years old. Dogs are great but like other said, are high maintenance compared to cats and are also somewhat gross.

When I went away to college, my parents would tell me that my cat would go into my old room and stand on my bed and do this sort of moan.. just about every day. He missed me and was grieving my having moved away. Was really sad... his health declined while I was in school and parents had to put him down. It's total horseshit that cats don't develop a relationship with their owners. My cat had a friendship with my friends and even our neighbors. One day, when the kids aren't babies anymore... I will get another tuxedo cat. They are excellent pets.
Two of my cats are tuxedos, both neighborhood strays. They are the silliest, most attached, and most affectionate cats I've ever had.

Reactions: PatrickRU92
Grew up with dogs.

Have had only cats as an adult, 11 over the past 40 years. Yes, cats do get emotionally attached to their owners. One of my dog-like cats always came when called, went for walks in the yard and always stayed with me. She was a stray and I started feeding her. After a month, she went in the woods and brought up her 4-week old kittens (3 of them) on to the deck, one every half hour our so. They can be amazing, trusting and loving companions Went away on vacation a few weeks ago. When we got home she had lost weight, probably due to separation anxiety (yes it happens with cats too). She went into liver failure right after we got back, and we had to put her down. Wow, awful to lose her that way.

Only one of my cats has been aloof.

Dogs can be mean, agressive and spiteful. Also dangerous. Cats, not so much. When I renew my homeowners policy, one question always on the form asks if I have any dogs. Why is that do you suppose?

As I write this post, a male cat that I took in as a stray several years ago, is splayed out across my chest, he loves to snuggle like the best dog you ever had.

Every cat is unique, varied peronalities, traits and preference, much like dogs in many ways, but way easier to care for. None of my cats have ever been nasty to guests. Best of all they never bark at strangers. Never had a cat who walked on my kitchen counters either. And you don't have to take them out multiple times a day.

Never thought it would be fare to a dog to go off to work and leave it at home alone for 9 or 10 hours every day. Cats seem to be cool with that, no guilt for their owners.

Yea dogs can be great pets, cats can be great pets. Like most things in life, it is not clear cut as to whether dogs are better pets than cats. I am a dog and cat lover. You don't have to be one or the other.

I guess you can tell where I stand! I love my guy and mostly because how much love and attention he shows me. As others have said , I went on a work trip for a week and by day 3 my wife said my man was depressed and just laying in spot on couch were we lay together with the saddest look on his face. When I got home he went apeshit and wanted to head butt me until I laid on couch and then decided to head butt me and rub his head on my beard until he fell asleep on my lap! Dogs , cats doesn't matter to me , if you love them that's all that should matter.

BTW ....before we got Oliver aka "Stinky" along with my wives baby girl Sammy ,that has since passed , I would thought what I wrote above was ridiculous. Now I don't care what you think , I love Stinky and still miss my girl Sammy. I hope after you read this and other thoughts in this thread you go give your dog or cat another treat along with a head scratch , hug or kiss goodnight.

Grew up with dogs but now have both. Dogs show their affection more but cats will also. Have 3 cats who are usually at the door to greet me when I come home. We have taught them to shake, sit up and roll over. The big male will give you a head butt if you ask. We can also walk him on a leash.

Grew up in a cat household where we had multiple cats at one time. Have had 2 cats...my first Artemis I rescued from a shelter in Staten Island when he was a four months old , we were attached the moment I saw him and he climbed all over me licking me. From there we were inseperable, he would greet me when I came home from work everyday. The playing including fetching was non stop, he would sleep on my head, chest or legs every night. He was just such a cool cat and my buddy. Unfortunately he died at 14 last March. Thats the cat in my avatar. Artemis was half oriental. Orientals are such cool cats, they total bond, are so athletic and have such cool features like big ears and long nose and of course communicating through meowing ALOT. So after some time passed and I had been tracking some Oriental kittens around the country I drove down to Virginia to scoop up a full Oriental cat that was about 8 months old. Addie has her own personality. Much more Oriental in her looks than Artemis was she has his traits times 10. Incredibly vocal...like talking all the time. She is needy but thats because she just wants to play all the time or tuck under your arms. Not a mean bone in her body. Orientals are an incredible breed, has anyone here ever had them. I will post some pics later.

Grew up in a cat household where we had multiple cats at one time. Have had 2 cats...my first Artemis I rescued from a shelter in Staten Island when he was a four months old , we were attached the moment I saw him and he climbed all over me licking me. From there we were inseperable, he would greet me when I came home from work everyday. The playing including fetching was non stop, he would sleep on my head, chest or legs every night. He was just such a cool cat and my buddy. Unfortunately he died at 14 last March. Thats the cat in my avatar. Artemis was half oriental. Orientals are such cool cats, they total bond, are so athletic and have such cool features like big ears and long nose and of course communicating through meowing ALOT. So after some time passed and I had been tracking some Oriental kittens around the country I drove down to Virginia to scoop up a full Oriental cat that was about 8 months old. Addie has her own personality. Much more Oriental in her looks than Artemis was she has his traits times 10. Incredibly vocal...like talking all the time. She is needy but thats because she just wants to play all the time or tuck under your arms. Not a mean bone in her body. Orientals are an incredible breed, has anyone here ever had them. I will post some pics later.

Yeah, but @S_Janowski says you're not a real man.

Discuss.

Before I start, I'm a dog guy. Had a couple cocker spaniel / terrier mixes growing up. Hated cats growing up ... until I got one. Had my current cat for the past 7 years, just as loyal and attached as a dog, with some bitchiness added in. The biggest benefit, as noted in this thread, being I could leave for a few days and the cat would be fine on its own.

Separate but similar topic, I prefer smaller dogs more so than bigger dogs. Not stupid "fit in a purse" sized dogs. But similar to the ones that I had growing up. Not as big of a fan of bigger dogs, because the whole hip dysplasia is so sad how quickly they pick it up in like a lab. Other dog breed I can't stand, even though it fits in my size category, is the corgi. My god those things are annoying.

For the record, I am a dog fan. My dog is a companion; much more than an animal that lives in my house and demands food.

But I know there are some here who are cat fans. Even though multiple studies have shown that cats don't form an emotional attachment to their owners, lots of people still form emotional attachments to their cats. I don't get it.

I will say this post is misinformed fake news and a total mispresentation of how cats bond with their owners that has nothing to do with food. If you had a cat you would know.

I will say this post is misinformed fake news and a total mispresentation of how cats bond with their owners that has nothing to do with food. If you had a cat you would know.

I don't have a cat. I have never had a cat. One of my housemates many years ago had a cat, but that cat was aloof and I would sometimes go days without seeing that cat. So I really have zero first-hand experience with cats.

It is true that there are multiple animal behavior studies that have shown that cats don't form emotional attachments to their owners. But to be fair, there are other studies that show that cats do interact and respond to their owners differently than they do with strangers. https://blogs.scientificamerican.co...about-cats-and-what-they-understand-about-us/

You can't generalize when it comes to animals or people. Everyone is different.

One cat can be indifferent to their owner and the other is fighting off wild dogs. I even seen a video of cat fighting off a bear!

Some dogs are nasty to everyone but their owner and others would lick robbers.

While it is true that some breeds of cats and dogs are more likely to act a certain way, that doesn't mean they actually will.

Note, I don't have a dog or a cat. I used to have both but not at the same time.

I've posted this before but it always makes me laugh. Dog person by the way.

The Dog’s Diary

8:00 am - Dog food! My favorite thing!
9:30 am - A car ride! My favorite thing!
9:40 am - A walk in the park! My favorite thing!
10:30 am - Got rubbed and petted! My favorite thing!
12:00 pm - Milk bones! My favorite thing!
1:00 pm - Played in the yard! My favorite thing!
3:00 pm - Wagged my tail! My favorite thing!
5:00 pm - Dinner! My favorite thing!
7:00 pm - Got to play ball! My favorite thing!
8:00 pm - Wow! Watched TV with the people! My favorite thing!
11:00 pm - Sleeping on the bed! My favorite thing!

The Cat’s Diary

Day 983 of My Captivity

My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and I are fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets. Although I make my contempt for the rations perfectly clear, I nevertheless must eat something in order to keep up my strength.

The only thing that keeps me going is my dream of escape. In an attempt to disgust them, I once again vomit on the carpet. Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their feet. I had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it clearly demonstrates my capabilities. However, they merely made condescending comments about what a “good little hunter” I am. Bastards!

There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was placed in solitary confinement for the duration of the event. However, I could hear the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my confinement was due to the power of “allergies.” I must learn what this means, and how to use it to my advantage.

Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one of my tormentors by weaving around his feet as he was walking. I must try this again tomorrow, but at the top of the stairs.

I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and snitches. The dog receives special privileges. He is regularly released, and seems to be more than willing to return. He is obviously retarded. The bird must be an informant. I observe him communicate with the guards regularly. I am certain that he reports my every move. My captors have arranged protective custody for him in an elevated cell, so he is safe. For now ...
Hilarious.

Pretty close to what most of us think is going on in those furry little heads of theirs.
Love this one of a cat saving a kid. They can both be awesome.

Not a cat guy by any means but THAT. WAS. AWESOME!

And I had no idea how "diverse" our membership was on here. Not that there is anything wrong with that. ;)

Love cats. Grew up with cats and could watch a cat all day, as they're so fascinating to watch - was lucky enough as a kid (10 years old) to be there with our cat when she gave birth to 5 kittens - hated when we had to give them up. However, my wife is allergic, so we don't have any cats. Not much of a dog person, but I can see why some people love them. And obviously, cats are far easier to care for and usually nowhere near as loud or as smelly.

Love cats. Grew up with cats and could watch a cat all day, as they're so fascinating to watch - was lucky enough as a kid (10 years old) to be there with our cat when she gave birth to 5 kittens - hated when we had to give them up. However, my wife is allergic, so we don't have any cats. Not much of a dog person, but I can see why some people love them. And obviously, cats are far easier to care for and usually nowhere near as loud or as smelly.
As smelly? My dog doesnt pee or crap into a box inside the house...thank god!!
Im not anti cat but Im allergic too. My allergies have improved as I got older. Before couldn't even stay in a house that had a cat. Now not so bad, not great either. But if I even pet a cat it is still a nightmare.
There is no perfect pet for everyone. Having a dog is a greater commitment. For me a blessing ,worth it.
Someone posted above that you can't generalize cats and dogs. Yes you can! Those that don't fit the mold are rare for both.

Had two GSP and one beautiful Doberman, all three are gone. We still have the kennel in the backyard. The kennel has been commandeered by two huge tabby cats, one orange and the other is gray with black stripes. No exaggeration they must weigh at least 20lbs each. To make matters worse during snow storms my mom takes down a huge portion of tuna fish, sets it by the dog house. Now we find casualties all over our property.

Both have their fans. Never had a dog but would like to some day. I never had a cat that ignored me. I think it might be how they are raised and/or treated. It's a rare cat that will be friendly to a stranger.

To make matters worse during snow storms my mom takes down a huge portion of tuna fish, sets it by the dog house.

Your mom? Do you live with your mom, or does your mom live with you? Or are you still a student or recently out of school? Your posting history here implied you were a middle-aged man.

I've really enjoyed this thread, and I hope it continues. I have never had a pet. But I am newly-married, and my wife has had cats in the past and wants to get a cat. I've been a little bit reluctant because I think of cats as being out only for themselves and having no interest in people except as sources of food and shelter. I'm glad to learn this many of the cat-owners here have found their pet to be genuinely affectionate.

I have in the past few years considered getting a small dog, but I really don't want to have to walk one rain, shine or snow. Cats seem much easier to take care of.

Reactions: bac2therac
I've really enjoyed this thread, and I hope it continues. I have never had a pet. But I am newly-married, and my wife has had cats in the past and wants to get a cat. I've been a little bit reluctant because I think of cats as being out only for themselves and having no interest in people except as sources of food and shelter. I'm glad to learn this many of the cat-owners here have found their pet to be genuinely affectionate.

I have in the past few years considered getting a small dog, but I really don't want to have to walk one rain, shine or snow. Cats seem much easier to take care of.

Cats are great pets in households with no other pets and no kids. Get yourself a pound kitten and it'll bond with you very quickly.

Cats are great pets in households with no other pets and no kids. Get yourself a pound kitten and it'll bond with you very quickly.

BTW, what is the best way to discourage a cat from scratching furniture? Scratching posts everywhere? It's very possible we might choose instead to rescue a cat who has been declawed.

Always had dogs, mutts and pure breeds. Most recent was Sam, a noble but silly Irish Setter (born on Long Beach Island). My work had me out and about for extended periods for years, and Sam was a terrific, very protective "watch" dog at home, part lion, part lamb. We still miss him terribly. Now looking at bringing in an Irish Terrier or Jack Russell.

Cats? Please... no.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT