ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Donovan McNabb a hall of famer?!

newell138

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 1, 2001
Ocean City NJ via South Brunswick and Denville
I think not. He always had an inflated value of himself. Very good QB in his day but not hall of fame worthy in my opinion. Always choked in the big moment. I think he had a lot more talent than Eli, but Eli found a way to win the 2 biggest games of his career when he had no business doing so.

https://94wip.radio.com/donovan-mcn...tm_campaign=Weekly+Newsletter+(Do+Not+Delete)
Eli won 2 SB because he had a great cast surrounding him. He had a solid defense in both SB and the schemes run by the defense locked down an explosive NE offense both times. In the SB games Eli was more of a game manager. I think his last name gives him a pass some times.

ANDY PETTITTE IS A STARTING PITCHER!!!

Why does the OP bring up Andy PETTITTE at the tail end of his career after he has won nearly 200 games. And Pettitte can’t pitch the 8th inning. Why don’t you bring up Mike Maddox or Randy Johnson.

Eli won 2 SB because he had a great cast surrounding him. He had a solid defense in both SB and the schemes run by the defense locked down an explosive NE offense both times. In the SB games Eli was more of a game manager. I think his last name gives him a pass some times.

McNabb didn't have a good team around him?? C'mon, they must have been good to make it to 5 NFC championship games.

During his 2 SB runs consisting of 8 games...2000+ yds 63% comp 15 TD 2 Int
Pretty good game manager and not so sure he had a great cast around him on his side of the ball. Good but not great. On the other hand...his 1 and outs should also hurt Eli.
As for DM- good QB but no part of my mind even puts him remotely into the conversation.

Pretty good game manager and not so sure he had a great cast around him on his side of the ball. Good but not great. On the other hand...his 1 and outs should also hurt Eli.
As for DM- good QB but no part of my mind even puts him remotely into the conversation.

It also doesn't help he has always been kind of a D*ck

McNabb was a great QB with some of the classic QB skills. People say a HOF player should have been dominant in his day. McNabb was very good but I don't think of him as dominant since his SB performance wasn't so hot (would have been worse without Terrell Owens). Eli could be a clodhopper in regular season but he was Hercules in Super Bowl. The great ones rise-up in the biggest battles

McNabb was a great QB with some of the classic QB skills. People say a HOF player should have been dominant in his day. McNabb was very good but I don't think of him as dominant since his SB performance wasn't so hot (would have been worse without Terrell Owens). Eli could be a clodhopper in regular season but he was Hercules in Super Bowl. The great ones rise-up in the biggest battles
Hercules? He didn't reach 300 yards or 3 TDs in either game.

Like I say in the Baseball HoF discussions...

If you have to think about it...

And this particular thought NEVER crossed my mind.

Neither him or Romo should get in.

***EDIT*** just realized the link says it’s himself saying that. Which makes sense (eyeroll emoji guy here)

Last edited:
Hercules? He didn't reach 300 yards or 3 TDs in either game.

He didn't have to. Keep in mind Eli played NE/Brady/Belichick both times, and one of the NE teams would have been considered the best of all time had they won.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
He didn't have to. Keep in mind Eli played NE/Brady/Belichick both times, and one of the NE teams would have been considered the best of all time had they won.
I hate the narrative that Eli beat them twice. No, the New York Giants best them twice. Eli was one piece of the puzzle.

Eli got totally lucky to win one of them. Shocked, absolutely shocked that one of the board’s Philly haters posted this.

In short no. McNabb was very good for a while, but to me to be in the HOF, he either needed a higher peak or longer career. He's doing himself a disservice comparing numbers to Aikman's since the game started to evolve into the passing league it is today during McNabb's time. In addition this transition was lead by Andy Reid. At Eagles home games in the 2000's I heard more yells of "run the ball ya fat f--k" directed at Reid than anything else.

Also, I hate the "Superbowl" winning QB argument for a HOF case. In just the past 2 years, Tom Brady won one and lost one. He was spectacular in the one they lost, and was below average in the one that they won. As another poster said winning a SB takes an entire team.

Reactions: RUScrew85
Eli got totally lucky to win one of them. Shocked, absolutely shocked that one of the board’s Philly haters posted this.

Hating Philly has nothing to do with this. The question is do you think he should be in the HOF? Was Eli lucky? Yes, but the point is he put his team in a position to win and made the plays when he had to. The fact that he escaped that sack on the helmet catch wasn't luck. He made a great play as did the WR.

Also, I hate the "Superbowl" winning QB argument for a HOF case. In just the past 2 years, Tom Brady won one and lost one. He was spectacular in the one they lost, and was below average in the one that they won. As another poster said winning a SB takes an entire team.
Agree.

But during the game somebody at some point has to make a play.

Want to say to say the throw to Tyree was lucky? I can go along with that. The ability to keep the play alive to make the throw...to me that’s one of the things I’m talking about.

Same with the Manningham throw in the second one. He put it right there.

I hate the narrative that Eli beat them twice. No, the New York Giants best them twice. Eli was one piece of the puzzle.

That 2012 piece of the puzzle was 30/40 296yd 1 TD 0 INT 103.8

Sure the Giants had a great defense (I would have been fine with Tuck winning a MVP) but QB is main position and you don't win with an average QB unless you're 85 Bears or 00 Ravens. A main thing about Eli is that nobody scares him, and the pressures dont do him in. McNabb was shot in the 4th quarter. He looked tired and ready to go home

Might have a better argument in the CFB HOF over NFL without looking at stats and record.
At one time I thought he was the best college quarterback I ever saw in person. Admittedly not the largest sample size.
Then I saw Michael Vick play.

Reactions: ATIOH
Hating Philly has nothing to do with this. The question is do you think he should be in the HOF? Was Eli lucky? Yes, but the point is he put his team in a position to win and made the plays when he had to. The fact that he escaped that sack on the helmet catch wasn't luck. He made a great play as did the WR.
Dude, stop with that not being luck. I really don’t care too much about who gets in the hall, just find it funny that Philly haters can’t leave this stuff alone.

McNabb didn't have a good team around him?? C'mon, they must have been good to make it to 5 NFC championship games.
I never said anything about DM or his team. What I said was Eli gets more credit than he has earned because of his last name. IMO I think both Eli and DM are good QB, but I'm not sure either one is Canton material.

Eli had moments where he was great, but he also had as many moments where he flat out stunk up the joint. The 2011 Giants were the first team in NFL history to reach the Super Bowl with a negative point differential (minus-6, 394 points scored, 400 points allowed).

Amazing regular season QB. Unfortunately, to get a gold jacket, he needs a SB win on his resume. Instead, he puked. Now add his curious/awkward post-career behavior...

He’s like the exact opposite of Nick Foles.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
I never said anything about DM or his team. What I said was Eli gets more credit than he has earned because of his last name. IMO I think both Eli and DM are good QB, but I'm not sure either one is Canton material.

Eli had moments where he was great, but he also had as many moments where he flat out stunk up the joint. The 2011 Giants were the first team in NFL history to reach the Super Bowl with a negative point differential (minus-6, 394 points scored, 400 points allowed).

Giants were 5th in the NFC in points scored and 12th in points allowed. Just how is Eli responsible for the negative differential?

Reactions: newell138
McNabb is a total loser and I hope he doesn’t make the HOF. And yes I’m an eagles fan.
Ditto for me as well. The fact that he considers himself better than Aikman is laughable. Aikman granted is the definition of a game manager, but McNabb's ego and personality is extremely unlikeable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT