ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Dow goes over 39,000

Status
Not open for further replies.
do people really follow the Dow still? That's very amateurish.

The S&P 500 is what matters. That's where your money is and better representation. That blew through 5k recently.

do people really follow the Dow still? That's very amateurish.

The S&P 500 is what matters. That's where your money is and better representation. That blew through 5k recently.

There are a number of ways to see how the market is doing. Yes the S&P 500 gives you a broader view of the market but the Dow is still a good way to quickly check how the market is doing.

Reactions: BLewis1968
How old are you?
It was your pals who said that.
So you have an issue with the Dow?
Joe Biden Falling GIF by Saturday Night Live

Count me among those that think it's weird that the Dow still gets so much attention. It was a good barometer in the 70s and 80s. But the Russell 2000 would be the benchmark I would highlight along with the S&P 500 and NASDAQ now.

Well, I'm very much an amateur. An amateur with a growing retirement fund.
Hey, I'm very happy and have a lot in investments, but the fact is a lot of people aren't like you or me. I must not be elite enough like some to look past them. Believe me, I cringe when I go to the supermarket and see Filet Mignon for $29.99 a pound. So, while I can still afford the Sirloin, there's a lot of people that can't even afford the ground round after all this inflation.

Last edited:
While I can still afford the Sirloin, there's a lot of people that can't even afford the ground round after all this inflation.
Check out the Manager's special section at Shop Right. Last week I got a pound of meatloaf mix for $3.17 and a package with three thin chicken breasts for $2.50. You're right that inflation is terrible but if you want to work around it, you can.

Reactions: redking
Hey, I'm very happy and have a lot in investments, but the fact is a lot of people aren't like you or me. I must not be elite enough to look past them. Believe me, I cringe when I go to the supermarket and see Filet Mignon for $29.99 a pound. So, while I can still afford the Sirloin, there's a lot of people that can't even afford the ground round after all this inflation.

Inflation was really a forgone conclusion with all that COVID money pumped into the economy. I think the Fed should get a lot of credit for sticking the landing with the soft landing that no one thought was going to happen. Most of the "experts" were calling for a recession or pull back in the economy and it didn't happen.

Check out the Manager's special section at Shop Right. Last week I got a pound of meatloaf mix for $3.17 and a package with three thin chicken breasts for $2.50. You're right that inflation is terrible but if you want to work around it, you can.
That's why I changed to Sirloin. LOL But seriously, my Construction Company has incurred over 20% increases in material and administration cost. My only recourse is to pass that off to you. The estimates I give people, even I just shake my head.

Reactions: LeapinLou
And that has always been the case. Inflation has stabilized but once the prices go up, suppliers ain’t going to try to bring them down again unless they have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT