ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Drawing on board expertise: Toms River for a retirement residence?

Stop
What was once a thriving resort community or past president visited is now an overgrown shithole

Let me know next time you drive-through it - better yet don’t, because clearly you either have your head in the clouds or you have a vested interest in this particular group of bad apples
I drive through it a few times a week.

Yes, it would be

The purpose of a neighborhood is not to have synagogues and churches all over, it’s to have single-family dwellings.

You’re smarter than this Tom, so I don’t know if you have a vested interest in these guys comings & goings or are simply choosing to be a contrarian

Either way, you are dead wrong on this issue, as there tons of facts and data to back up my pointed assertions and absolutely nothing to back up your obtuse assumptions
I have zero tie to the Orthodox. I said earlier I have not seen any bad behavior by the people buying in my neighborhood. I have not heard on any widespread poor behavior of people buying homes in Jackson.

I would never say that every person buying a home is perfect and I am sure there are some terrible investors becoming landlords. Most people do not want to own in neighborhoods where landlords own most of the homes but that is not unique to any individual group.

Think about the landlords who purchased near Rutgers and moved in students I am sure the people who lived there when it initially happened hated it.

The young woman who purchased the home across the street said to me when we had only recently met- people hate that we moved here. I told her you have the right to live anywhere you want.

She and her family have done nothing to change my opinion.

I have seen no indication that my neighbors or any of the others have used their religion as a weapon but it seems the assumption is that they are.

If they get permits to build houses of worship would that be using their religion as a weapon?
When you do this for a private dwelling (an actual house) and turn it into a “house of worship” or “religious school” to avoid property tax, that’s weaponization to me.

And it doesn’t matter the religion.

I see a thriving community different than how I want to live but some people like it.
Well that, "different than how you want to live" they want to eventually bring to your backyard. I like the farm area I bought in, but they want to change that and try to get around the current zoning by using religion to do so. And don't tell me that's not true, because I already posted an article where they tried to do so.

Reactions: motorb54
Well that, "different than how you want to live" they want to eventually bring to your backyard. I like the farm area I bought in, but they want to change that and try to get around the current zoning by using religion to do so. And don't tell me that's not true, because I already posted an article where they tried to do so.
He will see it when increased flooding due to overbuilding. When roads and infrastructure start to fail due to overpopulation and poor planning. It is amazing that there hasnt been serious injury or death due to Overbuilding and poor construction. I know plenty of tradesman who refuse to do work in that area because much of the recent construction is shoddy and not up to code. The amount of construction that is done without permits and proper code enforcement is amazing.

Last edited:
I have zero tie to the Orthodox. I said earlier I have not seen any bad behavior by the people buying in my neighborhood. I have not heard on any widespread poor behavior of people buying homes in Jackson.

I would never say that every person buying a home is perfect and I am sure there are some terrible investors becoming landlords. Most people do not want to own in neighborhoods where landlords own most of the homes but that is not unique to any individual group.

Think about the landlords who purchased near Rutgers and moved in students I am sure the people who lived there when it initially happened hated it.

The young woman who purchased the home across the street said to me when we had only recently met- people hate that we moved here. I told her you have the right to live anywhere you want.

She and her family have done nothing to change my opinion.
Great for you- then you are lucky enough not to be in a neighborhood that has been targeted yet. And I am sure your neighbors are great people and most likely not a part of the business that has been taking over towns...

With that said- stop trying to compare your good neighbors to what we have been talking about as they are obviously two different things.

You are just tiring...

Or just want to argue.

When you do this for a private dwelling (an actual house) and turn it into a “house of worship” or “religious school” to avoid property tax, that’s weaponization to me.

And it doesn’t matter the religion.
That’s all public record. I am unaware that any residential home has been made tax exempt in Jackson.

If people think they know of any in Howell, Jackson, Lakewood or Toms River just give us the address and it is easy to verify.

The APP did a story about it many years ago and found that to be false.

Great for you- then you are lucky enough not to be in a neighborhood that has been targeted yet. And I am sure your neighbors are great people and most likely not a part of the business that has been taking over towns...

With that said- stop trying to compare your good neighbors to what we have been talking about as they are obviously two different things.

You are just tiring...

Or just want to argue.
I agree it is two different things but many here are grouping them as one.

Requesting changes to zoning is not unique to any community.

Remember when the Orthodox moved to Hunterdon county and tried to get farms from farming early in the day. I might have that wrong but from what I am reading here how could it be any group but Orthodox

It happened all over Jackson and other communities as soon as people begin to move there.

And once they get control of the municipal government it will change. Again not unlike it happens and happened in communities all across NJ having nothing to do with Lakewood

Last edited:
You are as well
I have said multiple times I am sure there are bad actors but not all are bad actors

Not sure the Orthodox have to do any of the bad stuff people complain about beyond just buying a house and living there because that alone gets people to move.

It was actually an off duty cop- broke into Gary's home, shot his wife in the living room, found Gary in his office at the back of the house and their son was able to escape out a window. Guy goes to another neighbor shoots them and then heads to his boss's house in another town where he only wounded him and then shot himself.
Gary was my co-worker. We all worked out of Lyndhurst and would get together 3-4 days each month to reconcile timesheets and contracts for our various staffs. We had just finished up one of these events and the day after, we find out about it. I worked with him for 3 years.
Bro pick better people to hang with

Most know that I very much lean toward no discrimination and on the left side of things. And what I am about to say has nothing to do with these group's religion.
But in the towns they target- it is a business plan for them and they treat it like a hostile takeover. They will use their religion as a way to disrupt and cause enough havoc that long time residents would rather move then stay. They take over the school boards, they take over communities, they scam every government process that there is. They feel they can intrude on your property if their religion has rules that let them do it. They are taking mult underage wives with fake marriage licenses divorce them after pregnant so that they qualify for additional government handouts as well as affordable housing- which usually happens to be owned by their ex husbands.
Housing prices are driven down and like a hostile takeover- everything else is pushed to it's breaking point. And if anyone tries to put a halt to it- they get sued.
This is not a religion but a very powerful multi billion dollar business.
Please explain this to that Tom idiot who keeps acting like it is not happening. We all know what is happening there .

Please explain this to that Tom idiot who keeps acting like it is not happening. We all know what is happening there .
I actually live here and have not seen or heard of it happening to any great extent.

As I said not sure they need to do anything beyond buying homes. People seem to move without anything beyond that happening.

We all agree people should be allowed to live where they want.

We all agree that there is nothing wrong with being involved with the governing of your community. Either by voting or running for office.

We all realize that people vote in a way they feel is in their best interest.

We all agree that religious freedom is an important aspect of American life

It appears when that actually happens it upsets people.
I am ready for your enlightened views to be tested in your community. I suspect your tune will change immediately. But better to pontificate your “expertise” from a safe distance.,,

I am ready for your enlightened views to be tested in your community. I suspect your tune will change immediately. But better to pontificate your “expertise” from a safe distance.,,
Jackson has had a growing population of Orthodox for 10 years.

Not sure what you people want? Ban them from buying homes? Outlaw them from voting? Ignore any changes they vote for even once they are the majority?

This Tom guy is pulling out all stops to try and tell people the opposite of what has been happening with those communities. Ugh.

This Tom guy is pulling out all stops to try and tell people the opposite of what has been happening with those communities. Ugh.
Since you know so much can you provide examples that actually happened in Jackson?

That’s all public record. I am unaware that any residential home has been made tax exempt in Jackson.

If people think they know of any in Howell, Jackson, Lakewood or Toms River just give us the address and it is easy to verify.

The APP did a story about it many years ago and found that to be false.
I wasn’t particularly talking about those areas.

But as I have mentioned previously when this topic comes up I’ve seen it first hand in Brooklyn and Staten Island.

Since you know so much can you provide examples that actually happened in Jackson?
The examples have already been posted over and over . Not sure what your agenda is but wake up. Review some of the posts which detail everything that has been happening in these towns. We have known about this for years . This is NOT BIAS and it is not the same as Edison and fort lee . Just stop.

The examples have already been posted over and over . Not sure what your agenda is but wake up. Review some of the posts which detail everything that has been happening in these towns. We have known about this for years . This is NOT BIAS and it is not the same as Edison and fort lee . Just stop.
Give me the post#

If 1000 people buy homes in a town and 1 is a bad landlord do you blame the other 999 also?

I attended the meetings did you? The antisemitism was vile.

There have been some very good agreements between the town and Jewish land developers once the lawsuit was settled. Fair to both parties.

There was a parcel of land in Jackson near the Howell border. It is very close to 2 public schools.

Years ago it was sold and a builder wanted to build a strip mall. The residents screamed about the board being corrupt when they thought it was going to be approved. Ultimately the deal feel through. That lot has now been sold and a Jewish school is being proposed. Is that wrong? Did the Orthodox doing something wrong?

There is a 35 acre lot around the corner from me. The owner has proposed to build a school, The town and the builder have agreed to exchange this property for a property in a better area for schools. Seems reasonable to me.

I will ask for at least the 4 th time prove to me that homes are being made tax exempt and there are a significant number of Jewish landlords block busting in Jackson. Prove to me that no other group except Orthodox have tried to change zoning laws in a town.

I actually live here and have not seen or heard of it happening to any great extent.

As I said not sure they need to do anything beyond buying homes. People seem to move without anything beyond that happening.
You must live under a rock then. Because there have been multiple settlements in the town you claim to be a taxpayer with this group.

You must live under a rock then. Because there have been multiple settlements in the town you claim to be a taxpayer with this group.

I was at those meetings. The antisemitism was what I was referring to.

Those articles are not about block busting or making property tax exempt. They were about the Jewish community wanting to build schools.

So I know more about that than you.

Did you even read the articles?

I was at those meetings. The antisemitism was what I was referring to.

Those articles are not about block busting or making property tax exempt. They were about the Jewish community wanting to build schools.

So I know more about that than you.

Did you even read the articles?
If you think that was what the intent of the lawsuit you know nothing. The lawsuits were brought because they were block busting. This has been going on since the 50’s in Brooklyn, Rockland County and Lakewood. It’s about imposing their will on communities and then if they cant “convert” the community using antisemitism as a defense. It’s not about houses of worship or dormitories.

So you’re okay with your tax dollars being spent on frivolous cases? You’re also okay with converting large swaths of land for so called yeahivas and dorms allowing for students who are all or mostly on government support to takeover your town? taking from resources without paying into them. Great value prop.

Also this has little to do with anti semitism. Israelis have the same opinion as many on this discussion they have used the same tactics over there with less successful results.

Last edited:
Interestingly enough, the Sunday Star-Ledger ran an article on New Jersey's youngest and oldest towns. Weymouth Township has the oldest median age at 64.8.
The youngest and fastest growing in the state is Lakewood, with a median age of 18.4.
1 in 10 residents of Lakewood are under 5 years of age.
Also, the second youngest town is New Brunswick, with an average age of 24.

Interestingly enough, the Sunday Star-Ledger ran an article on New Jersey's youngest and oldest towns. Weymouth Township has the oldest median age at 64.8.
The youngest and fastest growing in the state is Lakewood, with a median age of 18.4.
Brother in law is a civil engineer who specializes in residential design and growth. When meeting with the head rabbi for a project in Lakewood years ago (maybe 10?) he was told they were planning to have a grade per year growth throughout the town for their schools. Not Lakewood’s.

If you think that was what the intent of the lawsuit you know nothing. The lawsuits were brought because they were block busting. This has been going on since the 50’s in Brooklyn, Rockland County and Lakewood. It’s about imposing their will on communities and then if they cant “convert” the community using antisemitism as a defense. It’s not about houses of worship or dormitories.

So you’re okay with your tax dollars being spent on frivolous cases? You’re also okay with converting large swaths of land for so called yeahivas and dorms allowing for students who are all or mostly on government support to takeover your town? taking from resources without paying into them. Great value prop.

Also this has little to do with anti semitism. Israelis have the same opinion as many on this discussion they have used the same tactics over there with less successful results.
That lawsuit had nothing to do with block busting you are 100% wrong.

I am for people having the right to buy homes where they want.

To get involved in voting and running for office

I understand that some people may vote for things I don’t agree with.

In municipal government the possibility exists that zoning laws may change. It happened in Woodbridge when I lived there, it happened in Jackson when I first moved here and it could happen again if that is what residents want.

That happens when you have 8 or more kids

That lawsuit had nothing to do with block busting you are 100% wrong.

I am for people having the right to buy homes where they want.

To get involved in voting and running for office

I understand that some people may vote for things I don’t agree with.

In municipal government the possibility exists that zoning laws may change. It happened in Woodbridge when I lived there, it happened in Jackson when I first moved here and it could happen again if that is what residents want.
So close to 75 years of data, use of similar tactics to take over large portions of Brooklyn, Orange County Lakewood etc..and the people you are debating are wrong? Tom as I stated earlier. I took a sociology class at Rutgers in the 90’s and this tactic (community/block busting) was discussed. They would start with a “Yeshiva” buy up houses for student living let the houses fall into disrepair, and take over the community.
It’s a blue print. As well as abuse of Medicaid and other government subsidies. It’s well documented. Not sure why you are debating this.

Do you think there has been block busting in Lakewood in the last 25 years?

I have not seen block busting in Jackson. That does not mean there are 100% perfect landlords.

I also stated block busting does not appear to be necessary. Once Jewish families start to buy people decide to move. More Orthodox families buy and more people decide to sell.

Do you think there has been block busting in Lakewood in the last 25 years?

I have not seen block busting in Jackson. That does not mean there are 100% perfect landlords.

I also stated block busting does not appear to be necessary. Once Jewish families start to buy people decide to move. More Orthodox families buy and more people decide to sell.
Are you serious? This has to be a parody account. I know of many families that have moved out of Jackson Howell because their blocks have been block busted. block busting is still going on in Lakewood. I know of many senior communities in Lakewood that have been block busted in the last 3-5 years. Not to mention the “less desirable” areas of Lakewood that were inhabited by low income residents.

Why is blockbusting going on in Lakewood?
The community is almost completely Orthodox.

I know a lot of people in Jackson having lived here since 1995. I have heard zero from any of them about block busting.

I have seen a huge increase in house values starting on the east side of town. That area had been the least expensive to buy a home. It became the most expensive. That seems the opposite of block busting.

How is there a need to block bust when the entire market is now sales to Orthodox. I doubt any other demographic is even looking in town.

There are 2 more homes on my block for sale at close to a million each.

Not sure what page my post was on this (need to be first, second or last) but it did happen to a friend in Toms River.

And as I said then, cul de sac for him was key.

Are you serious? This has to be a parody account. I know of many families that have moved out of Jackson Howell because their blocks have been block busted. block busting is still going on in Lakewood. I know of many senior communities in Lakewood that have been block busted in the last 3-5 years. Not to mention the “less desirable” areas of Lakewood that were inhabited by low income residents.
I also know many people who moved out of Jackson. The sole reason was an Orthodox family purchased a home on their street. Nothing sinister beyond that.

Not sure what page my post was on this (need to be first, second or last) but it did happen to a friend in Toms River.

And as I said then, cul de sac for him was key.
I could see that. My street has 21 homes. We now have 3 Orthodox owners with 2 houses on the market.

It is very possible the market is impacted and buyers figure they will drive a hard bargain to non-Orthodox owners at some point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT