ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Driving from NJ to Orlando and back

JMORC2003

All Conference
Dec 22, 2008
Driving down from NJ to Universal Orlando this summer so booking hotels for the way down and back. Splitting the drive 60/40 ish on the way to hopefully get settled in a early as possible so stopping in Florence, SC (9.5-10 hrs from NJ leaving approx 5-6 to go on day 2).

The way back I'm good to go more 50/50. Any recommendations on towns? Not looking for site seeing, just need a safe place, preferably not far off of Rt 95 so we can rest up and get right back on the road in the morning.

Folkston, GA

If you and your kids saw the movie “Cars” it’s very reminiscent of the town in the film, Radiator Springs.

Like in the movie how the town starts to die with the building of the interstate, the same happened to Folkston when I-95 was laid out.

Kinda kidding, kinda serious.

One year we stayed overnight in Smithfield NC. Right on 95. Clean hotels, restaurants, outlet stores and a cool little downtown. I recommended to friends and they liked it as well. Not sure if things have changed in the last 10 years, but everything changes.

Avoid Lumberton.

leave at 5am drive till 6 pm. get a good nights sleep. then the rest of the way is a piece of cake.

It's not that bad driving it all in one shot, preferably overnight...
just did it last week... left 4am, got into Orlando 8:30pm... few quick stops for gas along the way. Just made sure I got to sleep night before fairly early. And only had slight delay in Baltimore on I95

Reactions: RU from Jersey
In Florence SC, Tubbs Shrimp & Fish Company is worth a try. Florence SC is the midpoint on the drive between western Morris County and Marco Island, which we did for a handful of years. Great selection of fish and craft beers. Relaxed atmosphere, great place to kickback after a long drive. Locals eat here, not just folks exiting I-95.

Last edited:
Driving down from NJ to Universal Orlando this summer so booking hotels for the way down and back. Splitting the drive 60/40 ish on the way to hopefully get settled in a early as possible so stopping in Florence, SC (9.5-10 hrs from NJ leaving approx 5-6 to go on day 2).

The way back I'm good to go more 50/50. Any recommendations on towns? Not looking for site seeing, just need a safe place, preferably not far off of Rt 95 so we can rest up and get right back on the road in the morning.
Have said it in a previous thread a month or two ago and not sure where in NJ you are starting but you should definitely consider going down 301 on eastern shore of del-mary and avoiding balt-wash area. Crossing over at Annapolis Bay bridge. Especially now with the other bridge out.

Rocky point, Roanoke Rapids also gets my vote if it is just an easy I-95 sleepover.

One thing I learned doing this family trip last year is that a midpoint stop over is hard when you have kids with special dietary needs. My oldest is gluten free and it was very hard to find a place that could serve her something more than grilled chicken on a plate or a salad without croutons.

Too bad we don't still have the Cannonball Run thread from the Citrus Bowl game in 2012. I have an old note that says it took us 14 hours and about 10 minutes and we finished 2nd in the road rally by a few minutes to RU4Real and their crew, Since then, I've driven several times to Vero Beach and back to visit my dad, but I almost always do it in one shot (usually including a stop off to play a round of disc golf), so not much to say about towns to stop in.

As others have said, the one thing that's critical on the way down is leaving from NJ by 3-4 am to get through DC by 6-7 am - you just don't want to hit DC rush hour traffic (same thing on the way back, which is why you might want to stay somewhere closer to Richmond so that you can leave around 4 am and get through DC by 6 am). Enjoy.

Not sure your NJ starting point but look at Lumberton NC. Good selection of hotels and several decent food option - all are immediately off/on 95. It's halfway between Fayetteville NC and Florence SC.

fd077fec5cd545ec7c4409cd45f13e99.jpg

Santee on the way down and Rocky Mount on the way back. This will give you 10-11 hour drive day one and 6-8 hour drive on day 2.

• Love
Reactions: darkcheck
I'm a fan of staying in Florence, but have stayed in Santee. Going SB, stayed as far south as Brunswick GA and Kingsland just before the FL/GA line. My starting point is PA so maybe NJ is not doable for GA.

Some of my trips NB would be a 4-5AM start from Orlando and drive all day to get home at 10AM-Midnight. Others would involve a Florence stop and begin the next day, still hitting the NOVA traffic. 301 doesn't always work because the Waldorf/Brandywine MD area can be a mess.

Without flaming, what are the reasons you guys drive down? 3 hour drives are my max - hell, we fly up to Boston and Syracuse, sometimes even Albany.

I've never done it, always flown. Assume it's price related, but when going down in the summer, flights are super cheap, so do you really save that much money? Or is it something else (prefer driving, etc.)?

• Haha
Without flaming, what are the reasons you guys drive down? 3 hour drives are my max - hell, we fly up to Boston and Syracuse, sometimes even Albany.

I've never done it, always flown. Assume it's price related, but when going down in the summer, flights are super cheap, so do you really save that much money? Or is it something else (prefer driving, etc.)?

Albany? By the time you park, check in and go through security you'd already be past Poughkeepsie on the Thruway. Talking about from Bergen County.

Albany? By the time you park, check in and go through security you'd already be past Poughkeepsie on the Thruway. Talking about from Bergen County.
I hate driving
Plus, for work I generally do the milk run up to Syracuse, Rochester and Buffalo from there via car, then fly back from Buffalo

With the reliability of planes, I would consider it now.

if location doesn't matter for the one-nighter (ha ha) why not just figure out in real time when you've had enough driving and then book a place over the phone as you go ? that way you also don't have to worry about unexpected traffic screwing up your ETA.

i doubt interstate highway hotels fill up in summer.

Stop in "Visitor's Centers" immediately after entering the state you want to stay along Rte 95. Pickup a motel discount book. Big Savings!

In Florence SC, Tubbs Shrimp & Fish Company is worth a try. Florence SC is the midpoint on the drive between western Morris County and Marco Island, which we did for a handful of years. Great selection of fish and craft beers. Relaxed atmosphere, great place to kickback after a long drive. Locals eat here, not just folks exiting I-95.
Florence has a ton of hotels. We stay at the Spring Hill Suites. There is a string of Marriott hotels all together. Because of the number of hotels, trying to get into a restaurant is a challenge. We also stop in Lumberton NC. Again, lots of hotel choices but most on the low end. Again, we like Spring Hill Suites.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT